10.4.8 cools your Mac... but don't be "blue"

Swad

14 posts in this topic

InsanelyMac member PZR was the first to clue us in to the fact that the 10.4.8 update seems to have changed the default display colors on an unknown number of Macs... a fact confirmed by many others at Apple's forums. At this point, it's unclear what models it affects, but it seems to change settings on most or all notebooks. The new hue is a cooler blue, but don't chuck it in the loo while you eschew. (I know, I know - but the Brits came up with "loo" just for a rhyming sentence like that one...)

One user took this picture to illustrate the difference:

profiles.jpg

Apple has yet to give any kind of explanation, but I'm not holding my breath. For those wanting to revert to the older default settings, you can download the 10.4.7 Colorsync profile here.

Anyone else experience this?

i think my display looks different, but i'm not sure if that would be it. i don't have a notebook, and those are the systems that seeem to be affected, not desktops. it was a change for the better, if the color profile has been changed. it was for the good. although blue light is know to cause migraines (which i get), so that change might not be for the better...

My display looks different too... I'm on a MacBook, and I was annoyed at my screen colors. It just seemed too... dark, and maybe a bit too blue. Once I upgraded, I found it wans't quite as bad. It's not THAT much different though.

Does the color white really appear that incredibly off-white, or was it just the camera? I admit the grey looks better, but I can't say the same for the rest.

Maybe this was accidental. Or maybe Apple was further fine-tuning its systems. Hmm.

i havent updated yet, But wouldnt it be better to take a screenshot of before and after profile than rather a pic? cause the angle of the camera sometimes messes a bit.

I havent updated yet, need to get to college first (faster downloads)

i havent updated yet, But wouldnt it be better to take a screenshot of before and after profile than rather a pic? cause the angle of the camera sometimes messes a bit.

I havent updated yet, need to get to college first (faster downloads)

Color profiles affect the way the display shows the OS.

Taking screenshots will reveal no difference.