HELP TOPIC - for help in OS X Yosemite (10.10) and below

Deltac0

2,805 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing this wrong? Since I don't have a second bootable partition to rollback the kexts, I'm doing it from single user mode. I have a copy of Bronya's kernel on the root named "fx_kernel" since the update replaces mach_kernel, so i do:

fx_kernel -s -v

Then I run

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

My backup kexts are on my desktop, so I ran:

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext Sandbox.kext
cp -r /Users/mrapocalypse/Desktop/rollback/System.kext /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext
cp -r /Users/mrapocalypse/Desktop/rollback/Sandbox.kext /System/Library/Extensions/Sandbox.kext

And to repair the permissions, I ran

sudo chmod -R 755 System.kext Sandbox.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel System.kext Sandbox.kext

The result is 10.9.2 booting, but as I said above, it's really slow and unstable. If I did anything wrong above, or there was another way to do this, please let me know, thanks.

Personally, when I get ready to update, I'm going the combo update route. That way when the installation finishes, you can perform the necessary kext rollbacks and permissions repair while still in GUI, just always seems to have been the safer option for me. Ever since 10.6.3 I've been doing it that way.

• Like 1

Personally, when I get ready to update, I'm going the combo update route. That way when the installation finishes, you can perform the necessary kext rollbacks and permissions repair while still in GUI, just always seems to have been the safer option for me. Ever since 10.6.3 I've been doing it that way.

Yeah, I didn't know there was a difference between an update and "combo update".  guess it's my fault for being impatient. I'm going to format & re-install 10.9.1. I guess this'll be a good time to try Clover this time instead of Chameleon. 

Yeah, I didn't know there was a difference between an update and "combo update".  guess it's my fault for being impatient. I'm going to format & re-install 10.9.1. I guess this'll be a good time to try Clover this time instead of Chameleon. 

Wish ya luck!

• Like 1

Hi!

Been a while since i've looked at running mavericks on AMD! Anyway, I'm trying to get the 10.9.0 installer up, but I'm getting an opemu error ("opemu: ud2" spammed over and over after the root device is mounted) that I should only be getting if I'm running 10.9.2 and haven't rolled back certain kexts to their 10.9.0 version. That doesn't make sense, as I'm running 10.9.0, so I have the 10.9.0 kexts. I'm running the bsv_kernel (or "AnV 10.9.0 mach_kernel" on the patched kernels wiki page), as Bronya's 10.9.0 rc7 kernel panics fairly early without any explanation (no kexts in the backtrace). 

Processor: AMD A6-3400M

Any suggestions?

See here www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/294712-amd-pre-release-testing/page-6#entry1998749

I tried installing the two kexts, still getting opemu: ud2.

But since I'm trying to boot 10.9.0, not 10.9.2, I shouldn't need to rollback those kexts, right?

Create your hardware Signature then you may possibly be helped. We can not clairvoyance  :drool:  :w00t:  :drool:

Create your hardware Signature then you may possibly be helped. We can not clairvoyance  :drool:  :w00t:  :drool:

My hardware specs should be in my signature now. 

I'm booting mavericks with these boot flags:

bsa_kernel -v GraphicsEnabler=no busratio=14

If you need my CPU-Z, here it is:

cpu-z.PNG

Check an AMD kernels that are uploaded here to download. 
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/category/6-kernels/  

Or search by Andy Van Dijk BSA kernel R6, R7, R8 or R9 kernel. alternatively you can use the last test of Bronya or cassa. All test kernels can be found here
on insaneleymac. 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/page-258 

try to boot without busratio

and last sinetek kernel

Check an AMD kernels that are uploaded here to download.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/category/6-kernels/

Or search by Andy Van Dijk BSA kernel R6, R7, R8 or R9 kernel. alternatively you can use the last test of Bronya or cassa. All test kernels can be found here

on insaneleymac.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/page-258

try to boot without busratio

and last sinetek kernel

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281450-mavericks-kernel-testing-on-amd-formerly-mountain-lion-kernel-testing-on-amd/?p=1998937

That kernel worked for me :lol:Installing now! I will report back if it works!

Apparently "Essential System Software" is missing from my install disk. I'll try to create it again using myhack...

Still getting the same error :| Opening Terminal and running

ls /System/Installation/Packages
shows that all the packages are indeed there though. I suspect it is OSInstall.mpkg, so I'll copy a clean one and apply an MBR patch manually instead of having myHack do it for me...

The partition I created the installer on wasn't big enough! myHack didn't copy Essentials.pkg because there wasn't enough space. Resized it and now I'm creating the installer again

Late update, but successfully installed! Thanks!

• Like 1

Followed Spakk's instructions. Backed up System.kext and Sandbox.kext, installed the update and rebooted into single user mode to copy the kexts back to S/L/E and fixed permissions. Now we're up and running on 10.9.2. System is running HELLA slow, but it's running.

I have two systems that I hotswap my OS X drive from and they are very similar. The main difference between the two is one has an FX-8350 plus GTX 680x2 and the other one has an FX-8150 plus GTX 760. I installed OS X 10.9.2 on a second partition on the FX-8150 build without any slowdown in the install but as soon as I would boot up in the account creation menu/desktop (after I had an account set up) it would be as you put it "HELLA slow". But as soon as I moved it over to my main build (See sig) everything is mostly stable and I have no slowdown/lag.

Edited by Redbyte

Hello! Literally just put together my newest rig. Specs are as follows:

Asus A88XM-A mobo

Crucial Ballistix 1866 8GB

Corsair CX430 PSU

AMD A10-7850K APU with R7 graphics.

Now my question is, is there a specific kernel to use with the new kaveri APU's? I tried using the Niresh distro and I kept getting kernel panics during installation and I have no idea why. Boot flags I used were -amd -x -v. It wouldn't boot without -x. 

Well, since I was pointed here to ask for help, I'll do so.

Anyhow, I still haven't found a proper way around BSA kernel getting stuck and (apparently) it never returns a kernel panic, so it just hangs. On the laptop though, what I've noticed is that the kernel extensions are still running, except they're doing absolutely nothing. (ApplePS2Keyboard doesn't recognize some keyboard codes which are the Fn buttons)

It seems to me that some change in the opemu code screwed something up. BSA kernel v8 runs on my desktop machine just fine, though.

Also, people have found ways around it, but never shared it, exactly.

A bit offtopic as well but is there any way of making the old HD 2400 Pro 512 MB to work with Mavericks? My dad also wants a Hackintosh and his only thing blocking it is the GPU. I've been trying to make it to work with SL before, but whenever a framebuffer tried to load, it corrupted the framebuffer for a second and then stopped working. It's a Megalodon framebuffer, I think, since Iago is 256 MB. I also think that Megalodon isn't present in Mavericks, so can I just take the drivers from Lion or SL?

I've already tried putting the Device and Vendor IDs in the AMD2400Controller.kext. (pci1002,94c3)

...xan1242, see here from 10.9.2...

/Users/rustyballs/Downloads/ati-personality.pl.0.15/ati-personality.pl
Script version 0.15
Kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2400Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD2400Controller
Personality: Iago
ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 2
Disk offset in decimal 662352
0000000 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 01 00 12
0000010 00 10 00 00 16 00 00 00 c4 00 00 00 10 00 01 11

...seems Iago is the only native (AMD2400Controller) personality

• Like 1

...xan1242, see here from 10.9.2...

/Users/rustyballs/Downloads/ati-personality.pl.0.15/ati-personality.pl

Script version 0.15

Kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD2400Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD2400Controller

Personality: Iago

ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 2

Disk offset in decimal 662352

0000000 02 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 01 00 12

0000010 00 10 00 00 16 00 00 00 c4 00 00 00 10 00 01 11

...seems Iago is the only native (AMD2400Controller) personality

Hm, thanks for telling me this. It seems to me that at least Lion has Megalodon. Will search for the pl script myself and try further. Also I will attempt to run 10.9.1 rather than 9.2, since that's the one I got the OPEMU error with before I knew about rollbacking the kexts for the update.

...i just looked again...

Kext /System/Library/Extensions/AMD3800Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/AMD3800Controller
Personality: Megalodon
ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 3
Disk offset in decimal 666400
0000000 00 02 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 11
0000010 04 00 00 00 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 01 12
0000020 80 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 10 00 00

...there, i see your Megalodon personality(still 10.9.2)

Hmm, interesting. People have gotten the HD 2400 Pro to work in Leopard and Snow Leopard by using the Megalodon framebuffer, but it seems like that framebuffer is made for the 3870. I'll experiment with other framebuffers from the RV630 family. I still don't understand how the 2400 works in regular iMacs and not here...

Thanks for looking it up for me, though. I got the script, but haven't ran it yet.

...so here's my quandary...I'm running 10.8.3 on an Intel D945GNT/PentiumD(Presler)940, at present using IDE HDD Partitioned MBR:SystemReserved/Win7/MacOSX...i have an external SATA HDD  partitioned MBR: NTFS(Data)/OS10.9.1/OS10.9.2(I use this external SATA drive in the eSATA port of my other box to boot into OS X Mavericks...Win8.1 on internal HDD)...now as i have 2 installs of Mavericks, I am tempted to attach this HDD internally to the Intel box...I'll add a hopefully working(Andy?) amd_kernel(10.9), go with no DSDT, and maybe boot up -v -x UsekernelCache=No from the first OS X partition.

...just wondering about the potential of borking my external drive... :smoke:

...and yes, I run Mavericks from an  eSATA HDD(to keep it away from Windows8.1)

• 3 weeks later...

I installed, but in an unconditional way. I used my desktop to install through it's external SATA Mount, copied over the AnV 10.9 mach kernel applied the appropriate kexts, DSDT, edited my chameleon boot file, applied the latest bootloader(chameleon), and then rebuilt S/L/E and E/E from Kext Wizard.

Messing with different boot flags I get to a new issue: SleepCapability. Unfortunately any attempt to alter my DSDT with an EHCI patch results it "ATT3" object not existing being produced.

On an additional note, the Nonpci kext was applied to my system too. That gave me better results than the "npci=0xX000" flags.

What is contained in my Extra Folder: http://dl.dropboxhsercontent.com/u/77418315/Extra.zip

I've included my Original DSDT pulled from an Ubuntu Live session.

Image: http://s28.postimg.org/d44xdd1rh/20140330_114204.jpg

unfortunately I can not download the Extra folder.

either the link is broken, or my firewall is armed?

Please use this provider: http://www.file-upload.net/

I've looked at your picture,

take the AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext from S / L / E

what kernel are you using at the moment?

what boot flags you're using at the moment?

Edit:

it can various little things (errors) be the cause

a) is the  DSDT.aml fully patched on your system and cleans all the errors by the compilers?

if not, then boot without the DSDT.aml, you're doing as follows:

when entering the boot flags then write -->   DSDT=NO -v -f npci=0x2000 CPUS=1 usekernelcache=No

Edit:

otherwise repair the permissions

boot with -s

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Mac/System/Library/Extensions

exit

Edited by spakk