Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

No but I could.

What model number is yours? Mine is 4284-DZ6 which is 2760QM with 1000m.

I will reinstall with Discrete only and give you feedback...

hi,mine is 4270CTO. my cpu is also  i7- 2760qm

@Tluck

Thank you for the foresight in putting comments against your DSDT patches.

I have successfully extracted and patched my DSDT for my "new" Thinkpad W520 and now have the following functional:

Lid / Sleep Behaviour

Battery & Charge

Keyboard and Function Keys

Sound

Graphics (1920x1080 95% gamut)

Native CPU Power Management

100% Working Sensor Information

Volume Buttons & ThinkVantage button working 

Brightness on ScrLk / Pause and Fn+Home & Fn+End

The only thing I haven't got is working / detected Renesas USB3 ports which I believe isn't achievable under macOS Sierra?

Anyways, thanks for the forward thinking DSDT comments !

Hi avod

The Renesas USB3

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/?p=2387588

• Like 1

clover now fixed duallink issue on r4130.

thanks

Thanks excellent news Sherlocks, many thanks. Look forward to testing it.

Anybody else notice their Wi-Fi being pretty slow? I noticed recently that my T420 (OS X Yosemite) practically crawls compared to my X1 Carbon 3rd Generation (Fedora 26). 

Checked both of the Wi-Fi modules I own - DW1510, and DW1550 - both are slow. Does not seem to be a Hackintosh issue specifically, as speeds are still really meh when on an Ubuntu live USB - but I have not done a lot of testing on this.

I noticed that when I connect to a 5GHz network (channel 36), I do not have any issues. The bad news is that no matter what I do, OS X is just dead set on connecting to 2.4GHz networks. The network setup in my example has multiple stations broadcasting under one SSID - with both 2.4 and 5GHz BSSIDs.

The dream solution is to somehow fix my Wi-Fi - but I can settle just for a sure-fire way to force my little ThinkPad to prefer 5GHz networks (I'd go as far as just knocking out all the 2.4GHz channels on my Wi-Fi if I have to). On Linux there's actually a graphical option to pick my preferred BSSID, but on OS X I can't really find anything. The only thing I found was an utility called airport-bssid, but even if it does connect me to the 5GHz BSSID, the OS will automatically switch to the 2.4GHz one in a few minutes.

@Ezhik

i have NetGear WiFi ...

- for 2.4Ghz - my T420 wifi seems to transfer a file on my local LAN ranging 2-5 MB/s (average in middle) using rsync to an gig-e attached mac. the max speed Tx Rate shows 130 Mbps. (hold down option and click on wifi in menu bar)

- for 5.0Ghz - i get about 3x faster -

but you can make the 5 GHz connection the preferred by dragging it to the top of the list in your Advanced WiFi System Preferences

i don't understand why it would switch the connection on 5 and go to 2.4 unless you lost connection.

this show speed difference

post-954945-0-16367100-1501937272_thumb.png

Does someone uses the Lilu plugin AirportBrcmFixup for fixing things with BCM94352HMB?

I don't get it to load, either with Lilufriend or to put it in EFI.

It worked with latest version of Lilu which is also 1.1.6 and AirportBrcmFixup 1.0.4

So it is possible to chose clover "find and replace" or kext to have all feature of BCM94352HMB.

• Like 1

@Tluck, 

A while ago another member asked you what had changed in the included DSDT between the El-Capitan and Sierra. You advised that the DSDT will work for all versions but I'm confused because I thought the renaming of USB EHC1 to EH01 etc was a Sierra thing and therefore this would have to be reverted for El-Capitan, Yosemite etc.

Therefore I'm assuming these changes are purely cosmetic? Looking at your original config.plist Clover is auto patching USB in the ACPI section but the Wiki is a bit vague in detail.

@tluck That's not what I get. Seems like my T420 might have faulty antennas or something.

Also the 2.4/5 problem is because the wireless network has both under the same SSID - so there is a 2.4GHz station and a 5GHz station.

• DSDT for "heat-step" (dsdt.heat-step.aml) has a modified method to control the fan speed vs automatically by BIOS.

Follow the installation recipe to use this approach:

1) copy/replace the default dsdt.aml file with the dsdt.heat-step.aml file in the ESP

2) locate the ACPIPoller.kext in the Utilities folder and install the kext in /Library/Extensions

3) reboot

For Example:

• mkdir /Volumes/ESP

sudo mount

-t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/ESP

cp

-a /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/dsdt.heat-step.aml /Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/dsdt.aml

cd

~/Downloads/Lenovo-T420-Clover-YYYY.MM.DD/Utilities

sudo cp -a ACPIPoller.kext /Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions/ACPIPoller.kext

sudo chmod -R go-w /Library/Extensions/ACPIPoller.kext

sudo kextcache -i /

Heat-step works perfectly. The fan revs down when CPU temp is low and revs up when temp is high.

Default dsdt.aml always works at 3600 rpm.

But I wonder if there is any posibility to change the fan curve in the dsdt.heat-step.aml

it´s more silent but hotter. revs between 1900-3600 

i´d like to achieve  a 4500 rpm peak for better cooler.

• Like 1