Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@theatregoer

yes DualLink is for the internal/built-in LCD - otherwise it looks like only half of the screen (stretched out) 

external displays on the DP or Dock use AppleIntelFramebuffer@[1,2,3] (unless you use VGA for the 4th port.) 

the odd colors? when you log in can you change the color profile? i changed my EDID to be RGB only vs YUV.

the screen seems to be at the right proportion (login is in the center) - and if it works in Windows that's all good signs.

hello tluck, sorry for the late response, I tried a lot of things

(Changed the color profiles, EDID is RGB only and correct, different Clover Versions, el capitan/Sierra)

but nothing really helped, the strange colors stay the same.

With disabled acceleration (0x12345678) everything looks fine.

Here are the bdmesg logs:

https://pastebin.com/7xkzsHfd (with 0x12345678)

https://pastebin.com/ChwwhAMd

I tried this guide to install macOS on my T420, however it didn't work and I got the following alert message: "OS_X_FULL_MARKETING_NAME cannot be installed on this computer.", as shown on the screenshot in attachment. How can I fix it ?

3P9e3GHWe7KK.jpg

3P9eQMjp0g1p.jpg

Besides, for some reason, the screen is twice larger than it should be as you can also see the pictures attached.

3P9dHUa6P3rk.jpg

Any idea to fix it ?

@gvi

- seems like you have a mismatch on screen size? what is your native LCD resolution. then match the config.plist - either 1600x900 or 1366x768

- what is your OSX version? did you download from the App store? not sure about that message about cannot install? is your drive formatted? i.e. space for a new FS?

- I don't know the native LCD resolution, I tried both 1600x900 and 1366x768 with this same result.

- My osx verison is the last Sierra I could download from the App Store: 10.12.5 (16F73). The drive is not formatted and I can't open the Disk Utility to format it, I should probably try to format it with command lines, but I'm unsure how to create it (command lines, partitions number, type and size).

I followed this guide on my i5 T420 with 4 GB RAM and an SSD and it works beautifully!

Two little things I haven't been able to quite figure out yet:

• How do you make three and four finger gestures work? Is it possible?
  • Is it possible to map the page keys above the arrow keys to a function? They aren't being recognized as far as I can tell. Edit: ThinkVantage button too.

I already flashed a custom BIOS with a whitelist and now I just have to wait for my Broadcom wifi card to arrive. Then I'll have a perfectly functional, rugged MacBook with a better keyboard at a quarter of the price with the option to go back to Linux anytime. Gotta love ThinkPads.

@heavyhdx - glad you got working straight away.

1) 1/2/3 fingers gestures - some of them - work now. but not all gestures are coded. the swipe left/right/up/down are mapped for browsing back/forward for example.

2) keys are mappable by DSDT mods or by software (easier) - Karibiner or VoodooPS2kext. ThinkVantage (blue) button is mapped to control fan speed.

@gvi/theatregoer

try this bundle in the recent post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-uefi-only/page-175?do=findComment&comment=2429082

there maybe times when Clover thinks you need DualLink or when DualLink is turned off.

if your LCD Screen is 1366x768 DualLink needs to be zero - theatregoer - it seems you have this screen size.

if your LCD Screen is 1600x900 DualLink needs to be one - gvi - perhaps your screen is this size?

but the BIOS sometimes confuses things. if you set the start up resolution to 900x600 clover may be fooled. standard BIOS can NOT support 1366x768 or 1600x900

Yeah there don't seem to be any input-drivers for firevault that work with the T420s (and probably the T420).

I spend a few hours on getting it to work but ultimately failed to do so because I couldn't enter the password either.

If you have trouble disabling firevailt again (I know I did) boot to recovery and follow these instructions. After the revert command you can reboot your notebook and it should boot into macOS again.

Thank you for your answer - I felt less lonely in this corner ! :)

On my side it was a dry run on a fresh install, just to test so I re-installed the whole : glad to know a faster way was possible.

over there : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317290-filevault-2/page-1

it looks to me they are using (modified) UsbKbDxe for keyboard input - perhaps a solution to have a look for our T420/T420s ?

regards

@Tluck

Have you noticed any strange bluetooth connect / disconnect cycling when pairing with a device?

I have just put my T420 ( Which is the exact same variant as yours) and an X220 to Sierra and both are exhibiting the same behaviour.

I have even upgraded the Bluetooth on the T420 to 4.0LE 60Y3303 but still no dice....

My screens are 1920x1080 so DualLink should be one, I think.

John from mcdonnelltech told me that other users of the fhd-mod had similar issues.
The problem was that the DVI port of the dock connector ist being reassigned by the Clover bootloader.

Is it possible to Patch Framebuffer Levels but don’t replace 4th port with VGA?

change the patch in config.plist to this - it will just patch the levels and not add VGA

<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Patch Framebuffer Levels</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AQIEABAHAAAQBwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
    AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AQIEABITAAASEwAABQMAAAIAAAAwAAAAAgUAAAAEAAAH
    AAAAAwQAAAAEAAAJAAAABAYAAAAEAAAJAAAA
    </data>
   </dict>
  • Like 1

Yeah there don't seem to be any input-drivers for firevault that work with the T420s (and probably the T420).

I spend a few hours on getting it to work but ultimately failed to do so because I couldn't enter the password either.

If you have trouble disabling firevailt again (I know I did) boot to recovery and follow these instructions. After the revert command you can reboot your notebook and it should boot into macOS again.

Have you made any progress on getting FileVault to work?

Hi

Thanks for a Gretą guide. But there is something that I broke and I can't handel it.

I have ThinkPad T420.

Procesor Core i5 2540m

16GB RAM

SSD Samsung 830 Pro

Integrated graphics card

Modified BIOS and changed wifi card

resolution 1600x900

I installed macOS Sierra and it work fine. But I wanted to run Messenger. I used Clover Configurator. When I restarted macOS the screen showed Apple logo and leater black screen. Nothing more, macOS didn't start.

I try install macOS again but i can't. Clover works and I can chose start with USB. I see Apple logo nad process bar. Process bar is loading to 3/4 and everything disappears. Screen show only black screen.

There is somethink I can do?

Sorry for my poor english, I hope this is understandable enough.

@AdrianWir - looks like Clover Configurator broke something? maybe replace the config.plist with a working one. for Messenger, you will need to add the MLB and ROM variables - there are some guides for this.

question about backlight & screen prefpane:

i have been to a Apple store and i've seen the display prefpane.

i do understand now what backlight means and may be what is missing here on my T420

the coin's fallen off lol ;)

better than never

i have only 2 tabs here

-screen

-color

no backlight tab

what about your's ?

@Tetonne - mine is the same for Displays in System Preferences. 2 tabs

Display -  for Resolution and Brightness control

Color - to change the color profile - i use Lenovo LCD - which matches the /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resource/DisplayVendorID-xxx to the injected EDID of the LCD

• Like 1

Has anyone tried to watch Netflix in Safari? When I play a video, I get some garbled colors and then an error (see attachment). I've also tried disabling WebGL, but same issue. AirPlay is turned off.

In Chrome it works fine, but Safari supports 1080p playback, that's why I want to use it.

post-1783670-0-45403100-1497378016_thumb.png

Something to do with the GPU drivers?

One more thing, how can I make the touchpad more sensitive? Not faster, but so that it registers fingers sooner. Right now I can lightly run my finger across the entire touchpad and it won't register anything. From Linux I know that you can configure it so that it picks up movement even when you're hovering over the touchpad without even touching it.

Quick question,

I'm about to take receipt of the 2503 advanced dock. I will be putting in a Mac compatible Usb3 card into the PCie slot on the dock.

Would I need to extract my DSDT in Windows with the dock attached and edit the DSDT again? I'm assuming this is necessary for dock/undock but not sure if editing will be required for the Usb3 card (asides from vid/pid within macOS)

@heavyhdx.

Has to do with how safari decrypts and digitial rights info built into the lcd. We dont have it.

You can edit the voodoops2trackpad info.plist and look for finger Z. Reduce to say 30

@avdo. Dock works. No dsdt change needed. I use the dp to my monitor.

Dont think you need to change anything to add the usb3 card

• Like 1

Thanks Tluck. If your interested I have a couple of graphics cards I can try in the dock with Sierra. Obviously the advanced dock isn't the most common dock but may prove interesting nonetheless.

@heavyhdx.

[...]

You can edit the voodoops2trackpad info.plist and look for finger Z. Reduce to say 30

I changed the values under the Lenovo>Trackpad section in both 

/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

and

/Volumes/ESP/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext/Contents/Info.plist

But they don't seem to have any effect after a reboot. Are there additional steps I have to take?

Thanks.

Has anyone tried to watch Netflix in Safari? When I play a video, I get some garbled colors and then an error (see attachment). I've also tried disabling WebGL, but same issue. AirPlay is turned off.

In Chrome it works fine, but Safari supports 1080p playback, that's why I want to use it.

Did you tried shiki together with lilu from vit9696?

It sounds like it could help.