Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Very smooth on my T420 384mb HD3000 w/ Sierra atleast up until 1080p, but it gets choppy on the "superscaled" HiDPI resolutions accessible with RDM, SwitchResX etc.

El Cap in general ran a bit smoother than Sierra though.

Forgot to mention that I use the built-in LCD with it's native resolution (1600x900).

I can confirm that the new 10.12.4 beta 2 installs without problems (at least on the t420s). The backlight still doesn't want to work correctly (remove IntelBacklight.kext to get it somewhat working)

Nightshift has to be repatched in the same way I mentioned before (don't just use your old patched binary, they made some changes to it so use the new one).

i am curious also, what Finder animations are you referring to? 

Exposé when showing all open windows and also I have the downloads folder in the dock (bottom-right corner) that pops-up. It's set to the so-called "fan" display mode.

@fibroga

- just change the config on the USB installer to match the display resolution.

- if you have BIOS higher than 1.46, search this thread for the DMG/ISO image to create a bootable CD downgrade to 1.46.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR208f0QKuQ

Can i use this to downgrade from 1.49 to 1.46 mod?

Hi Fibroga,

This video looks good. I did the same earlier, see this post for details.

The concept is that winflash will detect if your BIOS version is higher than the one you're trying to flash and will not let you. But with that special command you can ignore that and it will flash the BIOS regardless to it's version.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

Hi Fibroga,

This video looks good. I did the same earlier, see this post for details.

The concept is that winflash will detect if your BIOS version is higher than the one you're trying to flash and will not let you. But with that special command you can ignore that and it will flash the BIOS regardless to it's version.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

Just done, it worked.

Now going to find on Amazon a good wireless card :D

As from 10.12.4 we can't control backlight with keys, we can either remove intelbacklight.kext or install brightness app, but neither of those solutions are any good :(, so maybe you can you look at AppleBacklightInjector.kext?

Here is the card I have in my t520-works OOB for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HN63QQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009HN63QQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mcdotechserv-20

-------------

What is the synopsis for 10.12.4?  is it safe to do as of now?  I saw the user above me note that backlight keys done work

i am using 10.12.4 beta 2 3

and currently IntelBacklight.kext does not communicate with the SysPrefs display slider or keyboard method.

so for now:

1) remove IntelBacklight 

2) keep IntelBacklight and use Brightness app.

and currently IntelBacklight.kext does not communicate with the SysPrefs display slider or keyboard method.

so for now:

1) remove IntelBacklight 

I think the best option is to use applebacklightinjector - use rehabman script to generate injector and patch dsdt. No smooth transition but you have full range and keyboard shortcut

I do want to push my gratitude to you man.  my T520 runs better running macOS then it ever did running Windows!  has been stable as a rock on 10.12.3 and I used it back when you had the same guide for 10.11.5 but back then I was having lots of random KP issues

so for now:

1) remove IntelBacklight 

@gpspl - perhaps you can share these kexts and dsdt patches

@cammykool - you are welcome. glad things have stabilized for you!

@downlord - cmos reset on occasion? what bios level are you ... hmm. wonder about the HW failing? what kind of video glitches on external monitor.

i have switched my EDID (and display overrides) to be RGB mode only to eliminate odd colored menu items.

@ tluck - I can't simply share kext as you have to generate applebacklightinjector.kext for your lcd panel.

All is in rehabman post - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/native-brightness-working-without-blinkscreen-using-patched-applebacklight-kext.121031/

Use v2 patcher to generate injector. Patch DSDT with "13" patch from his repo.