Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

@Fibroga, @tluck, is that the Asus usb-N10 Nano, or not Nano model that you are using?

I'd like to give the N-10 nano model a try on a different laptop, where I cannot change the wifi card.

Yes, is the nano model, working perfectly! Thanks a LOT to @Tluck

The ASUS nano N10 is decent small USB Wifi. it has a RealTek chip.

the downside is speed  -  72 Mbps max.

there a small number of alternate USB Wifi ( i only have experience RealTek based ) - my point is some can go to 144Mbps.

- downside for these is they are larger and stick out a lot more than the nano.

and yes 10.12.3 is an easy update

thanks tluck for this updated VoodooPS2 kext.

my problem is solved, it should solde satujamsaja's issue too ;)

​question installing kexts with the script give me  this message :

symlink("/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel", "/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache") failed 17 (File exists) <createPrelinkedKernel 2795>

the link is bogus....

$ ls -l /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel        48 Jan 25 14:33 /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -> /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  21725806 Jan 25 09:49 /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

so remove  the sym link

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache
sudo kextcache -i /
  • Like 1

3-finger swipe

- the mapping for swipe left/right works in a just few of the apps - as the left and right actions are mapped to "command [" and "command ]"

- Safari, Finder, System Pref - use this for back/forward

1) you must first enable in System Preferences/ TrackPad/ More Gestures. 

2) and then drag your 3 fingers  left or right in a non-rapid fashion. 

note: if they are aligned sort of top to bottom on the trackpad it sometimes works better - key is not moving too fast.

post-954945-0-06661600-1485442677_thumb.png

• Like 1

Anyone tried the 10.12.4 dev beta yet? It's got Night Shift mode, but people are reporting it's not there on older Macs (such as 2011 mbp). f.lux and all it's alternatives have the annoying flashing problem when returning from screensaver/running certain apps/etc so a properly working NS would be nice.

The options are: 

1) you flash a modded BIOS so you can install any WiFi controller, not just those in Lenovo's whitelist

2) you get a macOS-compatible wireless card and swap Intel for it

There is a card that i can buy and use, without flash a modded bios?

updated the zip with Clover 3992 for Sierra 10.12.4 support

@Fibroga - search this thread for keywords - BIOS and WiFi - this topic been extensively covered many times.

but the short answer is: 

- if you replace the Intel WiFi card with Broadcom or Atheros - you must flash with modded bios 1.46

- so do not update your bios beyond standard bios 1.46

updated the zip with Clover 3992 for Sierra 10.12.4 support

@Fibroga - search this thread for keywords - BIOS and WiFi - this topic been extensively covered many times.

but the short answer is: 

- if you replace the Intel WiFi card with Broadcom or Atheros - you must flash with modded bios 1.46

- so do not update your bios beyond standard bios 1.46

How to update to clover 3992 using your zip?

@tluck So I've been dumb enough to install 10.12.4 on my t420s and now my backlight control stopped working :(

I installed your newest package and it still doesn't work. Did you run into the same problem?

EDIT: Removing intelbacklight.kext partly solved the problem. I can change the brightness now but the maximum is reached way before the maximum setting and the second lowest one is still far from the darkest it gets.