Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,872 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Pene said:

Yes, I confirm it is working.

OsxAptioFix3 without SSDT-PMC - native nvram not working (tested now again, just to be sure).

OsxAptioFix3 with SSDT-PMC - native nvram working.

(Probably the same also with AptioMemoryFix and OcQuirks - didn't test though).

Didn't have to do any modifications. I have an Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX/AC, and at my memory map (posted some time ago), you see I have this:

Type       Start            End              # Pages          Attributes
MMIO       00000000FE000000-00000000FE010FFF 0000000000000011 8000000000000001

Edit: which is actually 1 page more (?) than what's added to the PMCR device added to the SSDT:

Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                    0xFE000000,         // Address Base
                    0x00010000,         // Address Length
                    )

Oh, cool. I'm guessing that the definition that contains that reservation is not being used by macOS. I would expect it would just enumerate all the ACPI definitions and devices but of course not, lol. I'm guessing that is what was happening when the kernel was panicking, it was probably trying to interact with that memory region and it was not reserved in the kernel through ACPI. If AptioFix3 works those others are going to, they are better fixes, especially OcQuirks. The runtime instead of the shims is much better.

EDIT: What is the name of the definition that reservation is under? I can't remember off the top of my head but it has a slightly different name starting with P.

Edited by apianti
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, apianti said:

EDIT: What is the name of the definition that reservation is under? I can't remember off the top of my head but it has a slightly different name starting with P.

I guess it wasn't clear from my post that the reservation mentioned was taken from the newly added SSDT-PMC.dsl. Or I didn't get what you mean.

1 hour ago, Pene said:

I guess it wasn't clear from my post that the reservation mentioned was taken from the newly added SSDT-PMC.dsl. Or I didn't get what you mean.

You were saying that reservation already exists in your firmware's ACPI? Or that is what you added to PMCR? Because I have that region reserved already, it is under a definition that is like PRRE or something. I can't remember currently, and don't have time to look.

7 hours ago, apianti said:

I made the follow

Device (PRRE)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C02") /* PNP Motherboard Resources */)  // _HID: Hardware ID
            Name (_UID, "PCHRESV")  // _UID: Unique ID
            Name (_STA, 0x03)  // _STA: Status
            Method (_CRS, 0, Serialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings
            {
                Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                {
                        0xFD000000,         // Address Base
                        0x006A0000,         // Address Length
                        )
                        0x00000000,         // Address Base
                        0x00000000,         // Address Length
                        _Y16)
                        0xFD6F0000,         // Address Base
                        0x00910000,         // Address Length
                        )
//                    Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
//                        0xFE000000,         // Address Base
//                        0x00020000,         // Address Length
//                        )
                        0xFE200000,         // Address Base
                        0x00600000,         // Address Length
                        )
                    Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
                        0xFF000000,         // Address Base
                        0x01000000,         // Address Length
                        )
                    IO (Decode16,
                        0x0000,             // Range Minimum
                        0x0000,             // Range Maximum
                        0x01,               // Alignment
                        0xFF,               // Length
                        _Y15)
                })

And then add PMC device as in example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 1:48 AM, apianti said:

You were saying that reservation already exists in your firmware's ACPI? Or that is what you added to PMCR? Because I have that region reserved already, it is under a definition that is like PRRE or something. I can't remember currently, and don't have time to look.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:28 AM, Slice said:

I made the follow

And then add PMC device as in example.

Just like what Slice posted earlier, I also had a PRRE device which included (among others) An address base of 0xFE000000 and Address Length of 0x00020000.

I didn't disable it though, and just added the suggested SSDT-PMC.dsl, and it still worked without any problem.

Does it at all matter though? (Is the PNP Motherboard Resources device taken into consideration at all by OSX?)

What may be worth mentioning, is that on my Z390 (and actually on all other DSDTs I looked at), the PRRE device specifies for this address base a length of 0x20000 while the suggested SSDT-PMC specifies it with a length of 0x10000. 

Another thing which may be worth mentioning, is that I looked also on a Z370 (which does not have the nvram problem at all), and the whole the PRRE device is identical between the Z370 and the Z390.

Edited by Pene

I have this issue that is puzzling me a lot.

I have a 500Gb SSD drive with a partition with Clover r3423. This drive boots with no problem in my computer.

I got a new 1Tb SSD drive and installed Clover r5102 so I can upgrade to Catalina in this drive.

When I try to boot on the 1Tb drive I just see a "6_" on screen and then it jumps to the 500Gb SSD and boots Clover r3423. It doesn't even write a log.

If I disconnect all drives except the 1Tb SSD and boot I see a "6_" and Clover r5102 boots as expected.

What is going on? Any Ideas? I need to have both drivers connected as I want the 500Gb drive to be used as a secondary backup.

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M
CPU: i3 
Drives: 256Gb SSD, 512Gb SSD, 1TB SSD, 2Tb HDD, 1Tb HDD

Edited by freakermonguer

8 hours ago, Pene said:

Just like what Slice posted earlier, I also had a PRRE device which included (among others) An address base of 0xFE000000 and Address Length of 0x00020000.

I didn't disable it though, and just added the suggested SSDT-PMC.dsl, and it still worked without any problem.

Does it at all matter though? (Is the PNP Motherboard Resources device taken into consideration at all by OSX?)

What may be worth mentioning, is that on my Z390 (and actually on all other DSDTs I looked at), the PRRE device specifies for this address base a length of 0x20000 while the suggested SSDT-PMC specifies it with a length of 0x10000. 

Another thing which may be worth mentioning, is that I looked also on a Z370 (which does not have the nvram problem at all), and the whole the PRRE device is identical between the Z370 and the Z390.

Well, the SPI MMIO region is directly following that so I wonder and that actually appears to be the LPC MMIO region... Also if those PNP0C02 devices aren't taken into account then why do other devices work? Literally everything is pretty much declared right there in PRRE, at least for me. Is everyone using pretty much the same SMBIOS, iMac19,1 or 2? Here is the issue, according to anandtech, the Z370 is coffee lake and the Z390 is cannon lake. It appears the Z370 is actually a 200 series controller, https://www.anandtech.com/show/12690/intel-lists-z390-x399-pchs-for-cannon-lake-coffee-lake-cpushttps://images.anandtech.com/doci/12690/cannon-point-h.png . Which can be confirmed here, https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/200-series-chipset-pch-spec-update.pdf. I assume there are actually significant differences in the firmware, also I almost expect that there may be some sort of internal mechanism in the drivers for something (probably maybe nvram) that is making a different choice for 300 series PCHs. Hmmm.... Strange. Glad there's a working solution, I just wonder if there are some effects that aren't seen still, either because of this or there is something still not right.

EDIT: Wait, I think slice commented his out? But you are saying that leaving both works too?

Edited by apianti

5 hours ago, freakermonguer said:

I have a 500Gb SSD drive with a partition with Clover r3423. This drive boots with no problem in my computer.

I got a new 1Tb SSD drive and installed Clover r5102 so I can upgrade to Catalina in this drive.

When I try to boot on the 1Tb drive I just see a "6_" on screen and then it jumps to the 500Gb SSD and boots Clover r3423. It doesn't even write a log.

If I disconnect all drives except the 1Tb SSD and boot I see a "6_" and Clover r5102 boots as expected.

What is going on? Any Ideas? I need to have both drivers connected as I want the 500Gb drive to be used as a secondary backup.

Sounds like some sort of drive order issue. You are legacy booting? I'm not sure why you are doing that but usually that works best from the first device, so you should have your disk to boot as SATA0 and the other disk as SATA1.

6 hours ago, freakermonguer said:

It's a pity it is legacy boot behaviour. You have to

- remove Clover from all drives except main

or

- install same Clover on all drives

or

- use UEFI boot

• Like 1

9 hours ago, apianti said:

Sounds like some sort of drive order issue. You are legacy booting? I'm not sure why you are doing that but usually that works best from the first device, so you should have your disk to boot as SATA0 and the other disk as SATA1.

Well.. I want to migrate from my 500Gb drive to my 1Tb drive. I have a working OSx on the 500Gb with it's clover R3423. I don't want to mess with that drive as it's my working computer. 

To start fresh I want to clone this OS (El Capitan) to the new drive and then from there upgrade to Cataline with all the changes that this implies (new disk format, etc). I don't want to mess up my actual working drive.

I will try to change drive order on the motherboard to see if this makes any change. Also will try UEFI boot.

My mobo is one of the firsts that had UEFI so it might not have the best implementation of it.

Mobo UEFI Bios.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6gcFIfSaV8

2 minutes ago, telepati said:

Guys, I need help! A couple of days I used OC, now I want to back to clover and I changed to OC EFI to with my CLOVER EFI but still boot in the open core. How can I boot with clover again? 

Replace BOOTX64.efi with Clover provided and clean NVRAM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slice said:

Replace BOOTX64.efi with Clover provided and clean NVRAM. 

It didn't help. Before the use OC, I backup my latest Bootable Clover EFI, I changed with that Clean NVRAM and CMOS. kextcache on recovery mode nothing help. Its still OC boot coming.

I even re-installed latest clover to my boot disk still same.

Edited by telepati

55 minutes ago, telepati said:

It didn't help. Before the use OC, I backup my latest Bootable Clover EFI, I changed with that Clean NVRAM and CMOS. kextcache on recovery mode nothing help. Its still OC boot coming.

I even re-installed latest clover to my boot disk still same.

Sorry for my stupid question: Do you verify disk order in BIOS? Do you verify each disk (EFI partition)? 

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Do you verify disk order in BIOS? Do verify each disk (EFI partition)? 

Yes, I did. I installed the same Clover EFI to USB Installer Disk and with F8 hotkey clover boot screen coming and I boot with that. Using the same EFI inside my primary EFI restart but still, OC boot screen coming. (Catalina, Recovery and Clean NVRAM). And OC boot screen still usable cause when I choose Clean NVRAM it actually cleaning NVRAM. Now I will delete EFI on my primary NVME disk and reboot, we will see what will happen.

Edit: Delete EFI restart, boot with USB Installer and add Clover EFI to primary disk reboot. Finally, Clover came. :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you @Slice and @Matgen84

Edited by telepati
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, telepati said:

Yes, I did. I installed the same Clover EFI to USB Installer Disk and with F8 hotkey clover boot screen coming and I boot with that. Using the same EFI inside my primary EFI restart but still, OC boot screen coming. (Catalina, Recovery and Clean NVRAM). And OC boot screen still usable cause when I choose Clean NVRAM it actually cleaning NVRAM. Now I will delete EFI on my primary NVME disk and reboot, we will see what will happen.

Edit: Delete EFI restart, boot with USB Installer and add Clover EFI to primary disk reboot. Finally, Clover came. :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you @Slice and @Matgen84

You're Welcome, Bro :)

11 hours ago, Pene said:

Exactly.

Oh... Ok. Well, that is even more confusing... How could the other devices be working? They are all under PNPXXXX...?? I really think that one (or more) of the drivers is doing something different with ACPI for 300 series controllers, I don't see what else the difference would be where this would be the solution.... How is that device working on 200 series controllers where it literally is the exact same region?

4 hours ago, freakermonguer said:

Well.. I want to migrate from my 500Gb drive to my 1Tb drive. I have a working OSx on the 500Gb with it's clover R3423. I don't want to mess with that drive as it's my working computer. 

To start fresh I want to clone this OS (El Capitan) to the new drive and then from there upgrade to Cataline with all the changes that this implies (new disk format, etc). I don't want to mess up my actual working drive.

I will try to change drive order on the motherboard to see if this makes any change. Also will try UEFI boot.

My mobo is one of the firsts that had UEFI so it might not have the best implementation of it.

Mobo UEFI Bios.

You have a class 2 firmware. It is capable of both UEFI and CSM legacy boot (make sure you have newest version). You can UEFI boot, it will just take more effort to configure compared to legacy. Also, if you continue to legacy boot, I was referring to the same thing as slice said, he just said it better. Only boot clover from the first device and remove it from the other devices.

EDIT: I meant compared to legacy booting not other UEFI, they all suck, lol.

@telepati,

Did you remove OC from your EFI partition before you erased it entirely? Did you have OC setup for driver booting? Because you have to reset your nvram to remove that, or use the EFI shell and manually remove the DriverXXXX entry for it.

EDIT: Reset from the firmware menu (which resets you to default everything), not clear nvram. Those entries are not in the clear list and they shouldn't be.

Edited by apianti
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, telepati said:

@apianti now I can boot with Clover without any problem. But I am trying to clean nvram with sudo nvram -c command it doesnt work. I also tried Reset NVRAM and Rebuild caches with @Cyberdevs MacOptimizer.app but it always giving this error. Never finish the operation. 

Sorry, but where is this firmware menu?

Just my opinion: you don't need "firmware menu" because you can boot now with Clover.  MacOptimizer seems to be not update for Catalina: send a message to cyberdevs. 

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, telepati said:

@apianti now I can boot with Clover without any problem. But I am trying to clean nvram with sudo nvram -c command it doesnt work. I also tried Reset NVRAM and Rebuild caches with @Cyberdevs MacOptimizer.app but it always giving this error. Never finish the operation. 

Sorry, but where is this firmware menu?

First, do you have working NVRAM? I don't know why else those would fail. Second, if you have a working system there is no reason to do anything. The firmware menu is the menu for your firmware that you can get into when your computer first turns on by pressing some button, usually Del or F2. There is usually an option to restore default settings (that is a true NVRAM reset). If you want to actually clear your NVRAM and have no values, like the first time you ever booted, then you want to short the jumper on your motherboard that resets CMOS, power on your PC, wait however long, power it off, return the jumper to the original position. Your motherboard manual will have precise directions for this procedure and you should follow that if you intend to entirely clear.

2 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Just my opinion: you don't need "firmware menu" because you can boot now with Clover. 

Yeah, unless there's some other problem now. I agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Just my opinion: you don't need "firmware menu" because you can boot now with Clover.  MacOptimizer seems to be not update for Catalina: send a message to cyberdevs. 

Actually MacOptimizer always worked for me on Catalina before this OC setup. I don't know but it doesn't work now. Something crash this app but I don't know what that it is.

40 minutes ago, apianti said:

First, do you have working NVRAM? I don't know why else those would fail. Second, if you have a working system there is no reason to do anything. The firmware menu is the menu for your firmware that you can get into when your computer first turns on by pressing some button, usually Del or F2. There is usually an option to restore default settings (that is a true NVRAM reset). If you want to actually clear your NVRAM and have no values, like the first time you ever booted, then you want to short the jumper on your motherboard that resets CMOS, power on your PC, wait however long, power it off, return the jumper to the original position. Your motherboard manual will have precise directions for this procedure and you should follow that if you intend to entirely clear.

Yeah, unless there's some other problem now. I agree.

Yes, I have a working NVRAM thanks to @MaLd0n he is implemented in custom DSDT. I checked to drive btw you mention in the earlier post with "bcfg boot dump" and just my boot drive is showing. I also soft Reset with R on the clover boot screen. Ahh, I have forgotten I am made a couple of times CMOS reset on this process. Now everything looks working.

But just one thing missing no Time Machine drive on Clover Boot screen. I checked with F3 for hiding drive but No Time Machine drive. I totally lost Time Machine Drive from the boot screen but its working in the system.

699022403_ScreenShot2020-01-30at21_28_31.thumb.png.23a0121da47da96e5dcbe07aaed322e9.png