Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

On my Z77 system anything past 4988 I get no output via hdmi on my Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 590.I have no display port so that's not an option.I can however Remote Desktop and see that everything is working.Can someone point out the obvious that I'm missing plz?

9 hours ago, vector sigma said:

By your words I can only understand that you agreed with me? (only one backup directory at the root of the target Volume which its ESP always belong to... i.e. just target the same volume)

I think so. I like the way it has worked for me up to now. Create the version folder in the EFI-Backups folder, create the date/time folder, create the backup, don't delete old backups, etc.

My one suggestion is to have a copy of the install log in the date/time folder containing the backup and to add any useful missing info to the install log. But maybe those changes aren't useful if the backup is always on the same disk as the EFI partition.

I don't care too much about where the EFI-Backups folder is. I take back my reservation about placing backups on a USB stick - If a USB stick is large enough to contain a macOS installer then it should be large enough to contain a few backups.

For Catalina, I don't like that you have to make it writable to do the backup. Does it make it readonly again after the backup is finished?

51 minutes ago, joevt said:

For Catalina, I don't like that you have to make it writable to do the backup. Does it make it readonly again after the backup is finished?

Yeah, this is a good point, I'll try to secure the root file system some how depending if was or wasn't read only before the installation, I think I can.. and so no, to answer your question, actually the change is persistent only until the next reboot (not a permanent change to the end).

An easy and easy solution is to make the installer ask for a reboot...  achievable by just put the following in the Distribution file: 

'onConclusion="RequireRestart"'

the above will make a prominent alert window which prevent Installer.app to not exit until you accept to reboot

Anyway I found singular the story of 'killal Finder' to fix a thing that is not a bug but a declared safety improvement, until now... with your remark, which make me feel better Lol.

59 minutes ago, joevt said:

I don't care too much about where the EFI-Backups folder is. I take back my reservation about placing backups on a USB stick - If a USB stick is large enough to contain a macOS installer then it should be large enough to contain a few backups.

No one apparently knows we can decide the backup limit in nvram:

Clover.KeepBackupLimit = 1 (or another number... even 0 which mean no backup)

(10 by default that maybe is too high.. 2 is perfect imho)

and/or backup directly into the *ESP:

Clover.BackupDirOnDestVol = false # (ESP), true (target volume)

so I don't even know why we ended up in this fancy discussion which I guess was about  "default behaviour", I hope. The original creator of this package was (is) a very smart person...

good night

* this is intended if you selected the ESP in the package.. otherwise will be the target volume anyway

• Like 2

@vector sigma

buildme:

buildme Beta, Clover v2.5k r5035
EDKII in use: vUDK2018
Patches in use: Patches_for_UDK2018

1) build Clover		   5) update Clover	     9) show diff
2) make pkg		   6) update edk2	    10) quit
3) make iso		   7) status
4) build all		   8) check remote changes
Please enter your choice: 

does 4) build all also update clover & edk2 on the fly?

2 hours ago, ellaosx said:

@vector sigma

buildme:

The answer is the script itself.

Build all= Build Clover, Build PKG, Build Iso

Edited by Matgen84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ellaosx said:

@vector sigma

buildme:

If UDK2018 is used then no update for EDK2.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Slice said:

If UDK2018 is used then no update for EDK2.

yes infact is always the same vUDK2018, maybe 'renew edk2' would be better.

Slice the script is ready for the stable release 2019:

declare -r PATCHES=Patches_for_UDK2018

if [[ $PATCHES == Patches_for_UDK2018 ]]; then
  declare -r edk2Rel=vUDK2018
  edk2Link=https://codeload.github.com/tianocore/edk2/zip/vUDK2018 # UDK2018
else
  declare -r edk2Rel=edk2-stable201905
  edk2Link=https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/archive/${edk2Rel}.zip # edk2-stable201905
fi

any plan to update Patches_for_EDK2? Looks like edk2-stable201905 is almost compatible, only a reference to a removed pkg need to be changed (which now I forgot).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

The answer is the script itself.

Build all= Build Clover, Build PKG, Build Iso

8 hours ago, ellaosx said:

Only builds and no update of any kind. buildme is done to work with stable releases of edk2 so once you got it there's no need to update or search for update of it. Just update Clover when a need be (you can see remote changes) and your are done! the option to update edk2 serves only if you are playing with Patches_for_UDK2018/EDK2 and you want a clean workspace, otherwise you can ignore it (until Patches_for_* get an update). I made this wrapper for my self but I hope is helpfull for you all.

Edited by vector sigma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

how are we supposed to implement patch APIC after commit 5028. most people that have it enabled in config are having issues booting to a KP. and dont know why the machine that always booted fine now suddenly KP's at boot after rev 5028 and higher. is it a bug or a feature? 

for the guys above try disabling patch APIC if you have it enabled and see if now it works.

Edited by bronxteck

57 minutes ago, bronxteck said:

how are we supposed to implement patch APIC after commit 5028. most people that have it enabled in config are having issues booting to a KP. and dont know why the machine that always booted fine now suddenly KP's at boot after rev 5028 and higher. is it a bug or a feature? 

My problem after r5028++ was machine with 2nd Gen CPU unable to HALT (reboot-shutdown); already tested leaving only mandatory *.efi on \drivers\UEFI (DataHub, FSInject, OsxAptio*, VBoxHfs, SMCHelper), and just minumum 3rd party kexts (HWSensor's FakeSMC v3.5.x & PS2Controller). Also tried clear NVRAM several times with F11 key, as well.. using Clover's on the fly ACPI Patches instead of my custom DSDT/SSDT, booting 10.13.6 upto 10.15 Beta.. etc.

BUT all didn't solve the issue, TILL I uncommited r5028 AcpiPatcher.c (rolling back to r5027) and now my mach is back to normal again.

#EDIT: Thanks to Florin9doi, anyway.

APIC_unPatch.diff.zip

r5036_APIC_unPatched.zip

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Badruzeus said:

My problem after r5028++ was machine with 2nd Gen CPU unable to HALT (reboot-shutdown); already tested leaving only mandatory *.efi on \drivers\UEFI (DataHub, FSInject, OsxAptio*, VBoxHfs, SMCHelper), and just minumum 3rd party kexts (HWSensor's FakeSMC v3.5.x & PS2Controller). Also tried clear NVRAM several times with F11 key, as well.. using Clover's on the fly ACPI Patches instead of my custom DSDT/SSDT, booting 10.13.6 upto 10.15 Beta.. etc.

BUT all didn't solve the issue, TILL I uncommited r5028 AcpiPatcher.c (rolling back to r5027) and now my mach is back to normal again.

APIC_unPatch.diff.zip

r5036_APIC_unPatched.zip

This solved for my build as well! Thank you @Badruzeus and @Florin9doi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badruzeus said:

APIC_unPatch.diff.zip

r5036_APIC_unPatched.zip

Is it the same result if just set PatchAPIC=NO?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vector sigma said:

Yes, and you can do that at boot time as well in the GUI

Thanks. So, I need re-using r5028++ AcpiPatcher.c then boot with this `PatchAPIC=NO` right?

Will test it ASAP.

• Like 1

@vector sigma seems normal using `PatchAPIC=NO` boot-arg (with r5028 commit);

But wait, previous issue was actualy random.. I mean, (reboot-shutdown problem) happenned for example after several hours macOS running, then idle (I never let my mach to sleep neither hibernate, btw). If I turn my mach on then turn off immediately, using r5028 (w/o PacthAPIC=NO) mach is HALTED properly.

Before r5028 I usually powered my laptop for max 6 days w/o powered off (nor sleep) but having no issue with mach HALT at all.

Thanks.

On 8/7/2019 at 12:54 AM, meaganmargaret said:

So, I have used AptioMemoryFix on my X299 system to manage booting and it has worked extremely well. The bad news is that AptioMemoryFix has been discontinued. No new versions or updates. It's done. Over and out....and of course, AptioMemoryFix is no longer included in Clover, I assume particularly for the reason that some knew about AptioMemoryFix's pending demise.

As recently as Clover 5033, I have tried all three of the OsxAptio* versions that are supposed to provide memory mgmt during boot, and they all failed. Badly failed. Couldn't even get a display in verbose mode from any of them.

If you use Opencore, there is supposed to be FwRuntimeServices.efi, which may be an offshoot of AptioMemoryFix, but it only works with Opencore, and not in Clover.

It appears as if the developers of Clover have decided that my only option is to use Opencore, or sell my X299 board......

This sucks....

Can you try this MemoryFix.efi.zip?

Found inside Ceccagnoli Stefano's PC: 

pc.jpg.318622208fb2264a0d75222ffbc588ce.jpg

for more informations read next posts up to page 796

Edited by vector sigma

7 hours ago, vector sigma said:

I'm not sure adding that to the boot-args will do the job...

Oh my bad, sorry for that. However, `PatchAPIC` is located on ACPI section from config.plist, but on Options menu (when booting Clover) is on CPU Tuning, that' s why I was bit confuse #LOL. I never set it to YES/NO with my 2nd Gen Asus laptop honestly, means this setting is missing from my config. Thanks.

PatchAPIC.jpg

Edited by Badruzeus

10 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

@vector sigma seems normal using `PatchAPIC=NO` boot-arg (with r5028 commit);

But wait, previous issue was actualy random.. I mean, (reboot-shutdown problem) happenned for example after several hours macOS running, then idle (I never let my mach to sleep neither hibernate, btw). If I turn my mach on then turn off immediately, using r5028 (w/o PacthAPIC=NO) mach is HALTED properly.

Before r5028 I usually powered my laptop for max 6 days w/o powered off (nor sleep) but having no issue with mach HALT at all.

Thanks.

Снимок экрана 2019-08-06 в 20.28.01.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slice said:

Снимок экрана 2019-08-06 в 20.28.01.png

Slice sorry for this question again,, defaul sample of config.plist always drop DMAR table. But i have tested to delete this, AppleVTD is shown in IOREG (DMAR ACPI TABLE) is loaded in macOS with no problem. I have tested it in Broadwell, Skylake, Kabylake and Coffelake.

Is this neccessery to drop DMAR table??? or can you point me to the link about old issue with DMAR table?