Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

another question please.

I was able to successfully install OS X into my SSD.  But when the installer app rebooted the desktop and it booted again using my USB installer, clover cannot see the SSD.

some info:

1. SSD originally had OSX mavericks which is what I'm using for my AMD setup below. I erased the SSD (using GPT since MBR is not available) when I installed El Capitan on the new setup.

2. New setup consists of X58  board with legacy bios

3. USB installer was created with MBR.

any ideas? thanks again!  :)

Hello guys,

I've got a quick question: is Boot Camp supposed to work on a hack? Anyone tried this with El Capitan using Clover as boot manager?

I attempted to install Windows 10 (though I don't think it matters which version of Windows it is) and after finishing writing the OS on the USB drive, it restarts straight into the Windows installer. Problem is...I can't use any of the already created partitions (formatted a separate HDD for this) to install Windows on them. It says the hard drive is formatted as MBR whereas I'm attempting to install Windows as UEFI. Which is FALSE. The HDD I'm trying to install Windows on was previously formatted, from OS X, as GPT.

Does it have anything to do with the Windows version? Is there anything else I need to do to get this up and running? Am I missing something (probably)? Is there any point in trying Windows 7 instead?

Bootcamp not exactly. dual boot uefi with clover as boot manager. Windows x64. 7 8 or 10 doesnt matter. If you created the partition for windows with diskutility and as exfat mosdos or ntfs. It will convert your GPT disk with PMBR to GPT with MBR. So delete or reformat that partition as hfs. Then in the windows installer delete that new volume partition and format as ntfs.

I use gpt to make the ntfs partition to avoid above as well as all the extra stuff ms wants to add like msr reserved, recovery and sometimes a 2nd esp

Too many questions to ask you. May be you provided DarwinDumper report for us to see what is SSD, what is Clover, what drivers used and so on?

1. I haven't used darwindumper before but I will try creating a dump when inside the installer.

2. The only KEXT I included with Clover is FakeSMC (downloaded from hwsensors @ https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/)

3. I'm using the latest Clover that's avaiable in sourcefoge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/)

4. I guess any other info will come out of the dump

Thanks again

So I have noticed I can start memtest86 from the clover-uefi shell and it works fine. But if I start it from the clover menu with a custom entry it displays graphical glitches. Is there a way around this problem?

@arsradi - one way to "purge" the MBR on GTP is the procedure i outlined (remove windows partition from GPT disk) will remove the MBR and replace with PBMR.  diskutil is geared towards bootcamp which likes to use MBR - dual boot UEFI with Clover is the way to go on a hack. so you need PBMR otherwise the windows installer finds a MBR and gets confused.

gdisk - can do it as well -  convert the MBR to PMBR.

• Like 1

@arsradi - one way to "purge" the MBR on GTP is the procedure i outlined (remove windows partition from GPT disk) will remove the MBR and replace with PBMR. diskutil is geared towards bootcamp which likes to use MBR - dual boot UEFI with Clover is the way to go on a hack. so you need PBMR otherwise the windows installer finds a MBR and gets confused.

gdisk - can do it as well - convert the MBR to PMBR.

Does Boot Camp create a USB drive formated as MBR? Cause the HDD I'm trying to get Windows onto (formatted with Disk Utility) seems, according to gdisk, to be a full GMT (Protective MBR).

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Guys you are OT here  :P

Sorry, Micky. Please, remove the off-topic posts.

Thank you. :)

Though, I still can't understand why can't I boot from the newly created (by Boot Camp) USB drive, using Clover... Selecting the USB drive shows "press any key to boot from USB/DVD...", I press Enter, and then...nothing. After a while, computer gets restarted. if I check the box for "Install or remove Windows 7 or later version", when it's done, it will automatically reboot into Windows installer. But if I try to select the boot drive from Clover UI I get the behavior above. Anyway... If you guys think this is getting off-topic, I don't mean to spam the board. You know best.

And yes, before, the USB drive is full GPT, after putting Windows 10 on it using Boot Camp, it's not anymore (gdisk says something about an invalid GPT.. I can post a screenshot if you want)

• Like 1

I was referring on "how to purge..", "why does not boot it" is ok I guess since I know Clover was able :wink_anim:

I think the issue might be right inside Boot Camp... Maybe it corrupts the boot partition. After that, I can't seem to be able to load the EFI partition from the USB drive, for example (not sure if it's intended or not). There doesn't seem to be one.

This is before and after the Boot Camp installation of Windows 10.

post-1303722-0-92315300-1460660479_thumb.png

If the drive is corrupter or something, then how come it can boot into Windows installer after Boot Camp finishes installing everything? If it's not corrupted, then...why can't Clover boot from it using its boot menu?

This is why I'm confused. 

Also, please, forgive me for my stupid questions. This is the first time using Boot Camp for anything. And I'm not even sure it's supposed to work. That's why this was actually my first question (is it supposed to?). Cause if yes, then "Houston, we have a problem". :)

BootCamp is a great solution for dual-boot between OSX and Windows that hackintosh only had one hard-disk without thinking how to partition it.

And there have some virtual-PC applications support it.

I think it worth to use.

BootCamp is a great solution for... what now? Last time I checked all the Assistant did was partition your HDD in a messy way and all the package did was installing dozens of useless drivers for Macs and a Control Panel which doesn't work with the Clover way of booting. You gain nothing but headache.

• Like 3

BootCamp is a great solution for dual-boot between OSX and Windows that hackintosh only had one hard-disk without thinking how to partition it.

And there have some virtual-PC applications support it.

I think it worth to use.

Your PC does not need BootCamp. It can run Windows natively. Clover can boot both OS X and Windows in UEFI mode.

• Like 2

so I got past my initial problem (thanks Slice!)

but I'm sort of confused with the next one.

My motherboard (x58-based) uses legacy BIOS and as such, I have to partition my USB stick as MBR. During OS X installation, I formatted my SSD drive as GPT since that's the only option available.

I can boot to the SSD with the USB stick plugged in, but I have a feeling the SSD wouldn't be able to boot on its own even if I installed Clover on it because of the GPT partition. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you very much! :)

so I got past my initial problem (thanks Slice!)

but I'm sort of confused with the next one.

My motherboard (x58-based) uses legacy BIOS and as such, I have to partition my USB stick as MBR. During OS X installation, I formatted my SSD drive as GPT since that's the only option available.

I can boot to the SSD with the USB stick plugged in, but I have a feeling the SSD wouldn't be able to boot on its own even if I installed Clover on it because of the GPT partition. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you very much! :)

You don't need partition your USB stick as MBR,because legacy BIOS support GPT because legacy BIOS support Clover and Clover control other things.Install Clover,format USB stick as GPT,choose install bootaf into bootstrap in GPT.

Why are you using BootCamp on your PC? BootCamp is for Macs.

You are correct. Can't say I'm surprised. :)) I mean that's why I asked if Boot Camp was supposed to work on a hack in the first place.

And, at least in this aspect (one of the few), I think a Hack is better than a real Mac. Since it can run Windows natively so it doesn't need the "support" for it. In this case Boot Camp.

The reason why I THOUGHT Boot Camp might be useful is for running Windows inside OS X (yeah, I know, my bad). And...to a certain point, it is. But only if used with Parallels. That's where it can be useful to have a Boot Camp partition of Windows. Cause you can just specify that in Parallels and you're good to go.

I already had Windows 10 on a different HDD before. And setting up a DVD/USB drive and installing Windows from it, natively, is definitely not an issue for me to do. But I thought Boot Camp could help to run Windows inside OS X. Just because some softwares I need don't have a native Mac OS X version, and I don't wanna reboot into Windows every time I want to use that software. And...it can help. But then, there are other ways to achieve the same thing.

So after a bit of research, I got Parallels Desktop installed (I suppose it would run with other VM softwares, as well), got Windows installed on it, and I'm quite happy with it. The only thing that I am not really ok with (but there are ways to "fix" that too) is that now I have Windows installed twice. Once as a standalone OS, and once as a VM client. And I gotta say, it runs really well for a virtual machine. A lot better than OS X running in VM under Windows.

Still, if Clover was supposed to be able to start-up a USB drive made with Boot Camp, right now it kinda doesn't. Not sure why. Since OS X can boot into the Windows installer on its own. Not sure why Clover can't push it in the same direction, as well. It's a bit weird.

Anyway guys, that's all from me for now. Thank you very much for your feedback!

And if you decide it's something worthy of your time to investigate and fix (assuming it's a real issue and that it can be fixed), just let me know if I can help you with anything.

Cheers! :)