ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Hmmm... until now I still struggle to get steedstep work in UX32A. I always get

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
-- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

every time I boot. Does everybody else get the same message?

UX32VD & UX31A also Intel Core i7-3517U right? How you guy manage to get it working?

Here is the config.plist, http://pastebin.com/c7RD5UGP

Please note that I changed my SMBios to a MBA (just change MacBookAIr5,2 to MacBookPro9,2).

How long is your battery time? (I only get arround 3h. SpeedStepping seems to work!?)

EDIT: Same error message in console:

kernel[0]: WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

EDITEDIT: Installed FakeSMC HWSensors Plugins (https://bitbucket.or...ensors/overview).

HWMonitor shows a "CPU Package Multiplier" at x18.0 and "CPU Package" frequency fixed at 1.8GHz.

Using Clover with:

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>DropAPIC</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DropECDT</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DropHPET</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DropMCFG</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DropOemSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>DsdtName</key>
<string>dsdt.aml</string>
<key>EnableC2</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableC4</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableC6</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableISS</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PLimitDict</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>PatchNMI</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>UnderVoltStep</key>
<string>0</string>
 <key>ResetAddress</key>
 <string>0x64</string>
 <key>ResetValue</key>
 <string>0xFE</string>
</dict>

<string>MacBookPro9,2</string>

Is it just reported falsely?

It is being reported falsely. I get 3-4 hours of battery life (same as Windows). I also generated a custom SSDT to confirm any doubts, it seems as though even with Ivy Bridge MBP SMBios our CPU is not being detected.

It is being reported falsely. I get 3-4 hours of battery life (same as Windows). I also generated a custom SSDT to confirm any doubts, it seems as though even with Ivy Bridge MBP SMBios our CPU is not being detected.

I think it is more 3h on OS X and more 4-5h on Windows. There should be a reason...

EDIT: MSRDumper.kext shows only two reached states (8 and 18) switching between them:

12.03.13 18:30:11,000 kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 18

12.03.13 18:30:12,000 kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(18)

@68x: So there is definitely s.th. wrong?! How did you patch the SSDT?

With this script?

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL

I got this when I switched to MacbookPro8,1

kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(8) 
kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 14 28
kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(28)

But I do feel uncomfortable because it is not an ivy bridge smbios.

Ok I completely redid it, documenting. This is exactly how i proceeded: (mostly based on pippo's howto, UX32VD-R4002H)

Copy all attached files on your stick, so you can access them while in safe mode.

- Boot OS X 10.8.2 install, with -x flag.

- Disk utility - Partition your system disk (as many partitions as you wish) with the GUID Table (Mac Part. with Mac OSX Ext Journaled of course)

- Boot Mac OS X with -x flag

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete ONLY Geforce.kext, install attached kexts (by nhart12 and Thomas 21111) with kext wizard, rebuild kext cache

- Install clover v2 r1000 - customize: UEFI boot (UEFI motherboards), Install & start 64bit boot first, Drivers32, Drivers 64, Drivers64UEFI

- Run Diskutil list (look for the identifier for your 209.7 MB EFI Partition on the Disk where OS X is installed, in my case disk0s1)

- sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1 (to repartition the EFI partition)

- Boot OS X in single user mode (-s)

- When files are loaded and you see :/ root# , type sudo nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist returns: -sh: /nvram.plist: Read-only file system

- Type reboot

- Boot OS X (no flags this time)

- Recheck correct EFI identifier: diskutil list (for me disk order changed after reformat)

- Mount your EFI partition: sudo mkdir -p /mnt

sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mnt (again, check for your own identifier!)

- FAT32 should be mounted in finder now. copy the EFI Folder from your system disk (or the disk you chose at clover install) to FAT32 (drag on the finder mount or via terminal, backup replaced files if neccesary)

- Go to the EFI Folder on your FAT32 Mount. Replace Folders ACPI/mini, ACPI/patched, drivers64UEFI and OEM with the folders from my EFI. Replace also config.plist from my EFI.

- When finished, unmount FAT32 (Your EFI Partition) with sudo umount /mnt

- Delete EFI folder from your system partition (or where clover was installed to) to be sure to boot the right partition with EFI folder

- Reboot, go to BIOS, Add New Boot Option:

Name: CLOVER (or whatever)

Filesystem: Choose the EFI Partition of your system Disk (if you're not sure which filesystem to pick, create multiple Boot Options with same parameters but try different filesystems)

Path: \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi , Save, Reboot

- Hit Esc at Asus logo, choose Bootoption to boot. (in my case first filesystem in list was the right one)

- in Clover, hit "Boot Mac OS X from …"

Audio, Fn Keys, Standby, Lan Adapter, Battery Meter work, didn't test video out yet.

Files: UX32VD_1.zip, UX32VD_2.zip

I can't guarantee that it works for the UX32A too, give it a try!

The Error occurs, amongst other things, when you delete the requiered AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Always keep a backup of deleted kexts

Anyone luck with Multitouch yet?? (with Elan v4 beta drivers)

I used this instruction to install clover, and it works good!

but i only can't sign into icloud, facetime, imessage. everything i have to give up my apple ID.

i get a error like the server has encountered an error.

how can i fix it?

is it my serial number? i used the files from phelics12.

thanks

Edited by Lejenk
Removed reference

I used this instruction to install clover, and it works good!

but i only can't sign into icloud, facetime, imessage. everything i have to give up my apple ID.

i get a error like the server has encountered an error.

how can i fix it?

is it my serial number? i used the files from phelics12.

thanks

]

Buy a compatible wireless card off of eBay. Only way to fix the error.

]

Buy a compatible wireless card off of eBay. Only way to fix the error.

Okay thanks, i already did that but i don't have it already.

when i have a compatible wireless card insert can i acces apple store and icloud trough the USB Ethernet cable adapter?

Okay thanks, i already did that but i don't have it already.

when i have a compatible wireless card insert can i acces apple store and icloud trough the USB Ethernet cable adapter?

Yes. It shouldn't matter how you get access to the internet, but long as you have a hackintosh with a valid ethernet card or wireless card you're set.

To anyone upgrading to 10.8.3, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE ALL NVIDIA KEXTS BEFORE YOU RESTART.

You *may* have to reinstall your hackintosh if you fail to do so.

Why is this necessary ? Did you have to remove them initially when you installed 10.8.2 ? Can you list those kexts ?

Thanks,

Adi

I finally got HDMI working. No need for kext patching, the vanilla kext will do. I will upload the vanilla kext and my config.plist

Note: The mini-vga will not work!

Edit:

Here is the config.plist, http://pastebin.com/c7RD5UGP

Please note that I changed my SMBios to a MBA (just change MacBookAIr5,2 to MacBookPro9,2).

I'm using this config.plist and so far my system (UX32VD, 10.8.3) boots properly. Actually, this seems to fix an issue I had where sometimes my graphics card would not function but the system would boot and even log-in/poweroff (ofc, I was blind!).

But now I have some questions:

1) Everytime I go to About This Mac and select Show More Info my screen goes black. Does this happen to you guys too? The same happens if I install iStat Menus :-/

2) Is HDMI supposed to be fully working with this config.plist? I mean, can we connect HDMI cable and disconnect and keep using the system in a smooth way? Or do we have to reboot to have HDMI?

Weird, I'm using your config.plist and phelics12 kexts and I have sound. Does your mini-VGA works? Btw, what's the maximum resolution you can get?

My mini-vga DOES NOT work. I prefer HDMI due to it's plug n' play. I get the full 1920x1080. I'll be making a guide soon.

My config.plist works best with a vanilla AppleIntelFramebufferCapri,kext (get it from your USB installer or from the 10.8.3 combo update).

My mini-vga DOES NOT work. I prefer HDMI due to it's plug n' play. I get the full 1920x1080. I'll be making a guide soon.

My config.plist works best with a vanilla AppleIntelFramebufferCapri,kext (get it from your USB installer or from the 10.8.3 combo update).

So you don't have that problem with About This Mac -> More Info turning your screen black?

Why is this necessary ? Did you have to remove them initially when you installed 10.8.2 ? Can you list those kexts ?

Thanks,

Adi

GeForceXX.kext

NVDXXX.kext

Those are the offending kexts.

Would be nice to know if others have the same problem as me or not. I even removed all the offending kexts you point out. Is there a way of debugging this? Like running dmesg over SSH when I trigger the black screen thing? Any help is highly appreciated.

That wasn't meant for you, go into your BIOS, and make sure that you have set your graphics memory to 64M.

Yes it is.

I'm left wondering if my Zenbook is actually UX32VD and not other model (on the bottom it says UX32V). It's a Core i5 1.7GHz with 4GB RAM and 32GB internal SSD + 320 HDD (I replaced it with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD).

Anyway, everything works besides external monitor (haven't tried HDMI since last time) and every time I click About My Mac -> More Info or every time I use some kind of system monitor app the screen goes off.

Sometimes, when the screen is black, I'm able to turn it back on just by closing and reopening the lid. This is very odd behavior, is it not?

Any hints are highly appreciated.

P.S.: I've reinstalled everything with 10.8.2 and am not upgrading to 10.8.3 so that you guys may be able to help me easily.

Yes it is.

I'm left wondering if my Zenbook is actually UX32VD and not other model (on the bottom it says UX32V). It's a Core i5 1.7GHz with 4GB RAM and 32GB internal SSD + 320 HDD (I replaced it with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD).

Anyway, everything works besides external monitor (haven't tried HDMI since last time) and every time I click About My Mac -> More Info or every time I use some kind of system monitor app the screen goes off.

Sometimes, when the screen is black, I'm able to turn it back on just by closing and reopening the lid. This is very odd behavior, is it not?

Any hints are highly appreciated.

P.S.: I've reinstalled everything with 10.8.2 and am not upgrading to 10.8.3 so that you guys may be able to help me easily.

First, let's make sure that your Intel HD 4000 has a device-id of 0x09 (open up System Profiler and go to Graphics, take a screenshot and I'll confirm for you).

I also have gotten HDMI audio to work, with min-vga without any freezing. I'll release the patched kext after I do more testing.

• Like 1