ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Clover and phelics12's kexts & config.plist. I just use MacBookPro8,1 smbios instead of MacBookPro9,2 or MacBookAir5,2 :D

Using a Sandy Bridge SMBIOS seems to do the trick to enable speedstepping (between 0.8 and 2.8GHz). Works with MacBookPro8,1 or MacBookAir4,2.

But battery is still awfull (3h).

EDIT: If I do unterstand it correctly, we just get Sandy Bridge power management (2) to work. Native Ivy Bridge pm (1) does NOT work.

1. Ivy Bridge power management requires 10.8.2 or newer, edited SSDT, edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and Ivy Bridge System Definitions: macmini6, imac13, macbookpro9/10 (Note: 10.8.2 Supplemental/Supplemental 2.0 Updates are not working)

2. 3rd Gen/HD4000 processors without Ivy Bridge power management should use Sandy Bridge sysdefs: macmini5, imac12, macbookpro8

OTHER FORUM

SeppDepp, you have pretty much got the facts. You need SB SMBios for power management for IB. I suspect that the SSDT that you are using is the cause of the battery issue. I am currently using my own SSDT and I get 4-5 hours.

I highly suggest generating the SSDT from the script I posted on the previous page.

We already have edited SSDT with the generator script. So we need only edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to get our Ivy Bridge work. Or maybe after we can get rid of

kernel[0]: WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a

SeppDepp, you have pretty much got the facts. You need SB SMBios for power management for IB. I suspect that the SSDT that you are using is the cause of the battery issue. I am currently using my own SSDT and I get 4-5 hours.

I highly suggest generating the SSDT from the script I posted on the previous page.

I generated SSDT using the script and using your config.plist but I still having sleep issue. How you actually solve it?

We already have edited SSDT with the generator script. So we need only edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to get our Ivy Bridge work. Or maybe after we can get rid of

If I understand the thread (THREAD AT THIS OTHER FORUM) correctly, IB pm should work without GraphicsPM at first. And IB pm works over IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext's X86PlatformPlugin.kext.

I don't see the X86PlatformPlugin.kext to be loaded even with Ivy Bridge SMBIOS like MacBookPro9,2.

I generated SSDT using the script and using your config.plist but I still having sleep issue. How you actually solve it?

Try a newer Clover version (like 1174). With my DSDT it solves sleep issues.

If I understand the thread correctly, IB pm should work without GraphicsPM at first. And IB pm works over IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext's X86PlatformPlugin.kext.

I don't see the X86PlatformPlugin.kext to be loaded even with Ivy Bridge SMBIOS like MacBookPro9,2.

Try a newer Clover version (like 1174). With my DSDT it solves sleep issues.

Hmmm... I using the latest version of Clover already. Could you share your DSDT?

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL

Hi,

Great thread but I have a stupid question. I have an Ux31a radiant black and thinking of hackintoshing it but was wondering if it would be possible to install chameleon and mnt lion to a USB drive without nuking the factory installed ssd?

Thanks.

Also seems like there are a lot of golden nuggets of suggestions here. Wish they would be organized into a single guide for the Ux31a. Thanks.

Again Ivy Bridge (1) and Sandy Bridge (2) power management.

1. Ivy Bridge power management requires 10.8.2 or newer, edited SSDT, edited AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and Ivy Bridge System Definitions: macmini6, imac13, macbookpro9/10 (Note: 10.8.2 Supplemental/Supplemental 2.0 Updates are not working)

2. 3rd Gen/HD4000 processors without Ivy Bridge power management should use Sandy Bridge sysdefs: macmini5, imac12, macbookpro8

THREAD IS AT THIS OTHER FORUM

Option (2) SB pm seems to work with a SB smbios like MacBookPro8,1.

Option (1) IB pm does NOT even work with the DSDT generation script. My findings:

- It is all in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

- The Plugin ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext get's loaded even for IB MacBookPro9,2. Why?

(only < MacBookPro8,3 is in the Resources)

- The Plugin X86PlatformPlugin.kext is NOT loaded. IB MacBookPro9,2 with Board-ID Mac-6F01561E16C75D06 is in Resources.

Why?

This config.plist:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
 <dict>
 <key>BiosVendor</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>ProductName</key>
<string>MacBookPro9,2</string>
<key>Board-ID</key>
 <string>Mac-6F01561E16C75D06</string>
 </dict>

SeppDepp, I'll help you out. Basically, X86PlatformPlugin.kext is not being loaded, even with the correct SMBios?

It's not loaded even with an IB smbios setting like Mac-6F01561E16C75D06 - MacBookPro9,2.

But ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext is loaded. And should not. Why?

Resources of X86PlatformPlugin.kext:

Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86 - iMac13,1/i5-3335S
Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C - MacBookAir5,2/i5-3427U
Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E - MacBookPro9,1/i5-3210M
Mac-6F01561E16C75D06 - MacBookPro9,2/i7-3720QM
Mac-7DF2A3B5E5D671ED -
Mac-031AEE4D24BFF0B1 - Macmini6,1/i5-3210M
Mac-66F35F19FE2A0D05 - MacBookAir5,1/i5-3317U
Mac-AFD8A9D944EA4843 - MacBookPro10,2/i7-3520M
Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F - MacBookPro10,1/i7-3720QM
Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED - Macmini6,2/i7-3720QM
Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4 - iMac 13,2/i7-3770

I am using SB PM for the time being.

Me too. CPU performance is good. But battery is just 3h. Can you share your DSDT/config.plist?

Here's the DSDT that will let you use mini-VGA and HDMI audio.

Please note you will need a patched kext for the mini-VGA.

Also note that ...

• You HAVE to start your Zenbook with VGA connected
  • Connecting a HDMI cable will cause VGA to stop working

I have also attached my config.plist, I removed unnecessary keys and also made Clover much more stable.

DSDT.zip

• Like 1

Here's the DSDT that will let you use mini-VGA and HDMI audio.

Please note you will need a patched kext for the mini-VGA.

I have also attached my config.plist, I removed unnecessary keys and also made Clover much more stable.

Ermm.. where's the kext? :-)

In other news, my unit just got replaced. No more black screen issues! Well, at least if I keep from installing something like iStatMenus which somehow when getting info from the GPU turns it "off", but HDMI works nonetheless :D.

Patched kext. If you want min-VGA use a patched kext, if not just don't bother with it.

Quick note, if you want to share keyboard and mouse, look up synergy-foss (it's a free software based KVM).

WTF?

sdtPRGen.sh v5.6 Copyright (c) 2013 by Pike R. Alpha
----------------------------------------------------------------
Generating SSDT_PR.dsl for a MacBookPro9,1 [Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C]
Ivy Bridge Core i7-3517U processor [0x0704] setup

Mac-2E6FAB96566FE58C is the Board-ID of MacBookAir5,2.

(MacBookPro9,1 is set in clover without specifying Board-ID.)

If anyone needs a patched AGPM.kext for GPU power management, here you go!

Didn't work for me. Using config.plist for MacbookPro8,1.

I'm a little bit confused here...

What I have now:

1) I have EFI\OEM\MacbookPro9,2, EFI\OEM\MacbookPro8,1 and EFI\OEM\MacbookAir5,2 and all of them contain a tailored config.plist for the related Macbook iteration.

2) I also have \EFI\config.plist but I think this is for Clover, is it not?

3) I have DSDT.aml in \EFI\ACPI\mini \EFI\ACPI\patched

Questions:

A) Where do I put 68x's DSDT.aml and config.plist? In \EFI\patched and EFI (respectively) or in EFI\OEM\MacbookPro8,1?

If anyone needs a patched AGPM.kext for GPU power management, here you go!

Works. But seems to break sleep wakeup. The display stays black after wakeup. No chance to get it ebaled again after sleep.

@ppires: DSDT and SSDT in efi/patched/. I think EFI/OEM/... is not needed... for platforms known by your clover version. (!?)

Works. But seems to break sleep wakeup. The display stays black after wakeup. No chance to get it ebaled again after sleep.

@ppires: DSDT and SSDT in efi/patched/. I think EFI/OEM/... is not needed... for platforms known by your clover version. (!?)

Thanks. Are you using phelics or 68x SSDT? I think I'm still using phelics but it's not working :-(