ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure you can use my EFI folder without changing DSDT. I would definitely try booting it a couple of times if it crashes. I've noticed that whenever I have a new Clover version or do something different like connect HDMI, change kexts, etc., the first boot will result in a kernel panic and thus I usually try and boot it a couple of times before thinking it's not working. Not sure what you need to move over from your Extras folder on Chameleon to your /S/L/E folder on your HD, but if you have FakeSMC in your /S/L/E folder, you may need to remove any copy that you find in my EFI folder so there is only one copy.

Ok. So I got Clover to work from HDD! Finally :) Thanks for the help.

So now I have some questions:

1. How get my previous DSDT (from Chameleon) into Clover? (Currently I am using your entire EFI folder that you attached to the previous post)?

2. Why do I see three options when I boot: "Boot UEFI from" "Boot OS X from VolumeName" "Boot UEFI from VolumeName" (It seems only the middle one is relevant)?

3. How do I get rid of the boot delay (30 seconds, I think)?

4. Sometimes it keeps booting over and over in a loop and then after 2-3 tries finally manages to boot. Have you experienced this?

5. Where is getting the kernel flags from? I had -s set (under chameleon) and it seems to be using that. I don't think you had -s set for your Clover boot. So I am wondering how and why it's getting the previous flags?

Thanks!

Ok. So I got Clover to work from HDD! Finally :) Thanks for the help.

So now I have some questions:

1. How get my previous DSDT (from Chameleon) into Clover? (Currently I am using your entire EFI folder that you attached to the previous post)?

2. Why do I see three options when I boot: "Boot UEFI from" "Boot OS X from VolumeName" "Boot UEFI from VolumeName" (It seems only the middle one is relevant)?

3. How do I get rid of the boot delay (30 seconds, I think)?

4. Sometimes it keeps booting over and over in a loop and then after 2-3 tries finally manages to boot. Have you experienced this?

5. Where is getting the kernel flags from? I had -s set (under chameleon) and it seems to be using that. I don't think you had -s set for your Clover boot. So I am wondering how and why it's getting the previous flags?

Thanks!

When you mount the EFI partition do this:

EFI (The Folder not the parition) -> ACPI -> patched

Place the DSDT there.

To make clover detect the changes do this:

=== CONFIGURING CLOVER (general config & SMBIOS config)

Before you can reboot with Clover, you need to fix the config a bit:

1) Mount your efi partition (if it's not already mounted):

mkdir /mnt

mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /mnt

2) Download on your Desktop my clover config that I am attaching here as clover.txt and then do:

mv ~/Desktop/clover.txt /mnt/EFI/config.plist

3) Download on your Desktop my Clover-SMBIOS config that I am attaching here as smbios.txt

4) Create Clover's directory structure for the MacBookPro9,2 SMBIOS:

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ACPI

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ROM

cd /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts/

mkdir 10.6

mkdir 10.7

mkdir 10.8

mkdir Other

5) Copy smbios.txt as /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist

mv ~/Desktop/smbios.txt /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist

6) Unmount your EFI partition

cd /

umount /mnt

On a side note, please make sure that your drivers64UEFI folder has ONLY the files that pippo attached!

To change the boot flags, just open up config.plist in the EFI folder.

Thank you Thomas and Pippo! Great work.

Got OSX running almost perfectly with a combination of your guides. (Best Hackingtosh since my old T60 ThinkPad:)

Installed on GPT disk and booting via clover.

Some difficulties during installation:

- mounting EFI partition in -x "Save Mode" doesn't work because there is no msdos filesystem support

=> Installed Clover on a usb drive from another computer (with 209,7mb EFI partition on GPT). Boot the usb drive. Access EFI partition on HDD via diskmanager debug mode showing all drives "defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1" -> "Debug Menu". Then reformat as fat32. Copied everything from usb/Efi partition.

- UEFI entry in bios for a default clover installation must be: /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

Interesting stuff: If the dsdt.aml from thomas is not installed in /EFI/ACPI/patched the nvidia graphics card shows up in system report.

Does the nvidia card work with clover? Don't know how to test.

One other thing... this works great for additional display outputs via USB3. Have a >HD display via DVI and a TV via HDMI on a toshiba displaylink device... http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2299 (But still waiting for the 5.1 sound output support;)

Some difficulties during installation:

- mounting EFI partition in -x "Save Mode" doesn't work because there is no msdos filesystem support

=> Installed Clover on a usb drive from another computer (with 209,7mb EFI partition on GPT). Boot the usb drive. Access EFI partition on HDD via diskmanager debug mode showing all drives "defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1" -> "Debug Menu". Then reformat as fat32. Copied everything from usb/Efi partition.

you just had to delete Geforce.kext from system library extention to boot without -x

you just had to delete Geforce.kext from system library extention to boot without -x

Didn't work. The bootloader on the usb drive couldn't load the installed osx without -x.

EDIT: It automatically reboots. Maybe other problem. :(

Edited by Lejenk
Removed reference.

if you get the hdmi nhart, wwhoow =)

Didn't work. The bootloader on the usb drive couldn't load the installed osx without -x.

i'm sure about that, i done this more 10 times, the firts install can boot only with -x and then, delete geforce. kext, you should can reboot without -x

-> on ux32vd, maybe you have another problem

Edited by Lejenk
Removed reference

Right after you install OSX. To load up your install (use -x). After you boot up, delete /S/L/E/GeForce.kext (nothing else!). You should be able to start up without -x and you should be able to carry on with Clover!

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references

Ux32VD:

Here is a dsdt with his kext and all fn keys are working but f9

fn + arrows : page up, down, home & end

aditional : fn + space open your music, C previous, P next

Changes : added f3, f4

i'm running mac os with clover ! :) i'm searching how to boot my windows 8 too, anyone know?

Hi Thomas,

Do I need 10.8? I have 10.8.2 from my App Store but I can't get it to boot. Anyone use 10.8.2 from App Store?

Edited by Lejenk
Removed reference.

Hi Thomas,

Do I need 10.8? I have 10.8.2 from my App Store but I can't get it to boot. Anyone use 10.8.2 from App Store?

I got it work using the appstore. One thing I found that helped was to manually mount the .dmg inside the app store app. Then once created the USB, I started up the installer with "-x". It was pretty straightforward from there on in.

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references

When you mount the EFI partition do this:

EFI (The Folder not the parition) -> ACPI -> patched

Place the DSDT there.

This would be the DSDT and SSDT attached to nhart12's original post of this thread. Right?

On a side note, please make sure that your drivers64UEFI folder has ONLY the files that pippo attached!

Actually pippo's attached folder has two files that I don't: DataHubDxe-64.efi and PartitionDxe-64.efi. Should I add those?

And your instructions seem to suggest setting smbios as MacBookPro9,2 but nhart12's original post seems to say that 8,1 is the best choice for UX31A. So which one is right?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Did you tryed with the -x flag ?

If not work, i don't know how to

I'm using the 10.8.0 InstallESD.dmg

10.8.2 update need to be installed before all, else macos won't boot

I got it work using the appstore. One thing I found that helped was to manually mount the .dmg inside the app store app. Then once created the USB, I started up the installer with "-x". It was pretty straightforward from there on in.

Thanks for the follow up. I'll try that out.

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references.

One thing missing for THE perfect hackbook: No fan noise.

- There is a tool for windows stopping the fan most time. (It's not perfect since the fan spins up occasionally.)

This tool just overwrites a parameter of the EC very often. http://www.computerb...d.php?t=1070494

-Maybe this is the way to go: http://forum.noteboo...32a-ux32vd.html

(I haven't tried it yet on Linux)

By the way: It seems to be really save to stop the fan most time. In normal use the CPU stays under 65C without any fan (BIOS/ACPI spins up the fan from around 58C). Our CPU is specified up to 100C. So this would be far away. And the case is also just handwarm.

This would be the DSDT and SSDT attached to nhart12's original post of this thread. Right?

Actually pippo's attached folder has two files that I don't: DataHubDxe-64.efi and PartitionDxe-64.efi. Should I add those?

And your instructions seem to suggest setting smbios as MacBookPro9,2 but nhart12's original post seems to say that 8,1 is the best choice for UX31A. So which one is right?

Thanks!

Use Pippo's files for the Clover bootloader. You can always replace the SMBIOS with your own.

Newbee Question.

Can I install OS X 10.8.2 directly on my PC [i have a UX 31A Zenbook Prime]

Since the install instructions are for 10.8.

When you boot up 10.8 in safe mode (-x flag) for the first time you need to first install the 10.8.2 combo update (which can be found on the Apple website for example) before you do anything else and reboot the system. Check the guide on the previous page.

One thing missing for THE perfect hackbook: No fan noise.

- There is a tool for windows stopping the fan most time. (It's not perfect since the fan spins up occasionally.)

This tool just overwrites a parameter of the EC very often. http://www.computerb...d.php?t=1070494

-Maybe this is the way to go: http://forum.noteboo...32a-ux32vd.html

(I haven't tried it yet on Linux)

By the way: It seems to be really save to stop the fan most time. In normal use the CPU stays under 65C without any fan (BIOS/ACPI spins up the fan from around 58C). Our CPU is specified up to 100C. So this would be far away. And the case is also just handwarm.

Thanks a lot for this handy tip, I didn't know this existed! I've been looking for various ways aswell to stop the irritating fan popping in periodically, drives me crazy when I'm in a quiet room and I knew the Zenbook is capable of just passive cooling when it's not being used intensively.

• Like 1

Ux32VD:

Here is a dsdt with his kext and all fn keys are working but f9

fn + arrows : page up, down, home & end

aditional : fn + space open your music, C previous, P next

Changes : added f3, f4

i'm running mac os with clover ! :) i'm searching how to boot my windows 8 too, anyone know?

Hi,

can You make a patch with changes You added to DSDT for Fn keys to work?

I am getting problem with every DSDT I download here (probably because my UX32VD is i5, not i7 version) so I am stick to Clover only and it's automatic DSDT patching.

Thanks in advance.

OK, I think I figured out everything You added to DSDT to get Fn keys working. But post a patch anyway if You can :).

My new hackintosh was working before with Clover (with previous computers I used always PC_EFI or Chameleon so that was my first try with EFI loader).

Installation couple weeks ago was quite usual and everything was working with Clover DSDT patcher, except battery, brightness and function keys. WiFi was changed so now it works, sound by VoodooHDA (my tries to patch AppleHDA was unsuccessful).

Now with your files I got battery indicator working and finally Fn keys works OK (brightness has to be set in Keyboard shortcuts to F5 and F6 - maybe I missed something in DSDT analyze, so still patch would be usefull for me to see if I missed anything).

SSDT seem to work as well and sleeping does not reset computer now (but after couple seconds the system is beeing woken up again, it's still usefull to get display working if it starts blank.

Ahh, I still have problem with black display. About half of bootings the system boots into black screen. Any better fixes?

So here is my DSDT for my Asus UX32VD i5 edition (1366x768 display) - it's 212 Firware wersion DSDT with Clover shutdown, display, USB and audio fix; with added parts to get Fn keys work and also copied audio HDEF part, but that is still not working with vanilla driver.

Thanks a lot and bye!

dsdt.aml.zip

I just tried to connect a logitech USB mouse and got KP. Then clover couldn't boot the system with the mouse attached (kept rebooting in a loop without even getting to single user prompt). By disconnecting the mouse, I could boot again. Booted to single user and connected the mouse (didn't get KP)...then typed exit to get to the login screen....but no keyboard/trackpad/mouse worked.

Any idea why I can't use an external USB mouse?

to get fn keys on every zenbook :

- USE DSDT EDITOR TO OPEN YOUR DSDT.AML, if you need, it can create one for you (atm you will not have any optimisation, you'll need to add the others methods)

methods for FN keys :

1/ find the method called SLKB (use the search )

and add just under it :

Method (SKBL, 1, NotSerialized)\
	 \{\
		 Store (Arg0, KBLV)\
		 Store (DerefOf (Index (PWKB, KBLV)), Local0)\
		 ^^PCI0.LPCB.EC0.WRAM (0x044B, Local0)\
		 Return (One)\
	 \}\

to get this :

Method (SLKB, 1, NotSerialized)\
	 \{\
		 Store (And (Arg0, 0x7F), KBLV)\
		 If (And (Arg0, 0x80))\
		 \{\
		 \}\
		 Else\
		 \{\
			 Store (Zero, Local0)\
		 \}\
		 Return (One)\
	 \}\
	 Method (SKBL, 1, NotSerialized)\
	 \{\
		 Store (Arg0, KBLV)\
		 Return (One)\
	 \}\

2/ search your method called _Q0E and veryfy it is like this : ELSE, EDIT IT :)

Method (_Q0E, 0, NotSerialized)\
 \{\
	 If (LGreater (LBTN, Zero))\
	 \{\
		 Decrement (LBTN)\
	 \}\
	 If (LGreater (LBTN, 0x0A))\
	 \{\
		 Store (0x0A, LBTN)\
	 \}\
	 STBR ()\
	 If (ATKP)\
	 \{\
		 ^^^^ATKD.IANE (Add (LBTN, 0x20))\
	 \}\

3/ search your method called _Q0F and veryfy it is like this : ELSE, EDIT IT :)

Method (_Q0F, 0, NotSerialized)\
 \{\
	 If (LLess (LBTN, 0x0A))\
	 \{\
		 Increment (LBTN)\
	 \}\
	 Else\
	 \{\
		 Store (0x0A, LBTN)\
	 \}\
	 STBR ()\
	 If (ATKP)\
	 \{\
		 ^^^^ATKD.IANE (Add (LBTN, 0x10))\
	 \}\

NOW you can click on the IASL menu, complie, fix errors

an then clic again on IASL menu, Save AML as DSDT.AML

AT THIS MOMENT YOU HAVE THE SAME METHODS AS ME IN YOUR DSDT FOR FN KEYS

I'm not sure yet that work cause i just have an ux32VD, so please report yours results on others zenbook

hope it helps !

don't forget to use the kext

AsusNBWMI.kext.zip