ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Hi I'm back

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT POST FOR UX32VD OWNERS, C and P states are working with CHAMELEON, and you'll have your 10 go of ram and your mac will work great, excepted wifi if you don't have changed your card, fn keys and geforce, your trackpad will work great too (beta)

may work for other zenbooks (be carefull, don't touch the ux32VD bios in this case)

Now just folow the steps :)

1 ^BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE V212 BIOS or less near (was working with 211, not with 213) (update here) (winflash on windows ^^" and downgrade if needed )

2 Install Mac OSX ML Method : OSinstall.mpkg + OSINSTALL(MBR) on a MBR mac Os partition

http://www.mediafire...od14fuy7ditaaoo

show hidden files, on the usb you created :

OSInstall.mpkg replace to

/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstall replace to

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

2b BOOT WITH -X FLAG ! using your usb stick, USE AN USB MOUSE, SHOW HIDDEN FILES

(if you want to install 1.0.8.2 update, its now)

3 ^Install Chameleon Bootloader (next next next)

4 ^Copy Extra Folder at the root of your system disk

5 Delete Geforce.kext & AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from System, library, Extentions

.......................................(^if there is one^)

6 ^Use KextWizard to install the Kexts in System, library, Extentions, REBUILD CACHE

Reboot

to get the scrolling, move a bit the curosr of scrolling speed in trackpad preference pane

7 ^If You have Windows 7 on another partition copy this at the root of your part , give a drive letter to your 100 mb part and delete it (in partition manager)

8 ^If You have Windows 8 on another partition copy this at the root of your part (use linux if you can't boot, to copy)

9 Enjoy

LINK

(URL's removed)

IF NOT WORKING, TELL IT TO ME, SO I CAN REPAIR MY EVENTUAL MISTAKE IN THIS POST

post-1085791-0-20614100-1359057707_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references and URL's

Hi I'm back

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT POST FOR UX32VD OWNERS, C and P states are working with CHAMELEON, and you'll have your 10 go of ram and your mac will work great, excepted wifi if you don't have changed your card, fn keys and geforce, your trackpad will work great too (beta)

may work for other zenbooks (be carefull, don't touch the ux32VD bios in this case)

Now just folow the steps :)

1 ^BE SURE YOU ARE USING THE V212 BIOS or less near (was working with 211, not with 213) (update here) (winflash on windows ^^" and downgrade if needed )

2 Install Mac OSX ML Method : OSinstall.mpkg + OSINSTALL(MBR) on a partition

2b BOOT WITH -X FLAG ! using your usb stick, USE AN USB MOUSE, SHOW HIDDEN FILES

3 ^Install Chameleon Bootloader (next next next)

4 ^Copy Extra Folder at the root of your system disk

5 Delete Geforce.kext & AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext from System, library, Extentions

6 ^Use KextWizard to install the Kexts in System, library, Extentions, REBUILD CACHE

Reboot

7 ^If You have Windows 7 on another partition copy this at the root of your part , give a drive letter to your 100 mb part and delete it (in partition manager)

8 ^If You have Windows 8 on another partition copy this at the root of your part (use linux if you can't boot, to copy)

9 Enjoy

LINK

URL removed

IF NOT WORKING, TELL IT TO ME, SO I CAN REPAIR MY EVENTUAL MISTAKE IN THIS POST

Thank you so much for sharing but it looks like SkyDrive doesn't like us. Can you send them elsewhere?

Thanks again!

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references and URL.

Hey Thomas!

I have everything working except keyboard-backlight & FN-keys.

Did you ever get them to work? If so, can you please post how?

thanks a lot!

I'm sorry i don't kwo how to do yet, but i'll tell it if i done it

Thank you so much for sharing but it looks like SkyDrive doesn't like us. Can you send them elsewhere?

Thanks again!

Can you upload the files to Mediafire?

Done

(URL Removed)

Edited by Lejenk
URL removed, contains references to unsupported software.

Is there a DSDT GOD that can fix the fn-keys and keyboard backlight on UX32VD?

By reading all the documentation on the issue (even from Linux distros) it seems that the fix lies in properly initializing CADL & DDIL.

References:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147804

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Zenbook_Prime_UX31A

I tried many things, but nothing works.

Anyone help pls?

soon.

note : to get the scrolling, move a bit the curosr of scrolling speed in trackpad preference pane

Hey Thomas2111,

I finally got it up and running thanks to your guide. The only mistake is the name of the kext, which is incorrect: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext doesn't exist in that location. I think it should be AppleACPIPlatform.kext? I deleted that instead and everything seems to work fine so far. Now I'm retrying your guide with the 10.8.2 combo update ;).

Thanks a lot for the great guide!!

Hey Thomas2111,

I finally got it up and running thanks to your guide. The only mistake is the name of the kext, which is incorrect: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext doesn't exist in that location. I think it should be AppleACPIPlatform.kext? I deleted that instead and everything seems to work fine so far. Now I'm retrying your guide with the 10.8.2 combo update ;).

Thanks a lot for the great guide!!

Thank you =), about this kext, i had one AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext after install, so i deleted it (conflict with elan)

don't delete any other kext

Thank you =), about this kext, i had one AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext after install, so i deleted it (conflict with elan)

don't delete any other kext

Deleting the wrong kext didn't cause any problems since it was eventually being overwritten normally in your step number 6 in your guide ;).

I've succesfully also installed 10.8.2 with your guide, though I've found that the performance of the laptop isn't really optimal yet. I've also got a VMWare Mountain Lion install under Windows 8 and I get a Geekbench benchmark score of about 6500 and on my native Mountain Lion install (= result of your guide) I only get about 4500. I've included a side by side comparison of the benchmarks of both systems running on 10.8.2. Any idea what might cause this?

benchmark comparison image (VMWare install vs native install): http://www.mediafire...u5t7bt8bvj7qq3a

It seems the CPU is only being used 50% at full load, as Geekbench states that there seems to only be "one processor", although the i7 is a dualcore of course :). Wrong kexts?

Deleting the wrong kext didn't cause any problems since it was eventually being overwritten normally in your step number 6 in your guide ;).

I've succesfully also installed 10.8.2 with your guide, though I've found that the performance of the laptop isn't really optimal yet. I've also got a VMWare Mountain Lion install under Windows 8 and I get a Geekbench benchmark score of about 6500 and on my native Mountain Lion install (= result of your guide) I only get about 4500. I've included a side by side comparison of the benchmarks of both systems running on 10.8.2. Any idea what might cause this?

benchmark comparison image (VMWare install vs native install): http://www.mediafire...u5t7bt8bvj7qq3a

It seems the CPU is only being used 50% at full load, as Geekbench states that there seems to only be "one processor", although the i7 is a dualcore of course :). Wrong kexts?

maybe the smbios or x 32 mode div by two the perfs, , i'm trying to get chameleon in 64b

maybe the smbios or x 32 mode div by two the perfs, , i'm trying to get chameleon in 64b

Thomas, as far as I know, all bootloaders have one problem: they all let the OS recognize only 3.5GB of RAM. System Profiler tells you that you have 6GB (or more), but if you look at Activity Monitor (or "top" from the shell) you will see that the free RAM is less than what should be.

To my knowledge, the only bootloader that solves this, is Clover.

If Clover is an alternative for you, please consider using it.

I run a 64bit kernel on 10GB of RAM with Clover, with no problems.

ok, wel'll change chameleon to clover in my how to

could you explain how to get a great clover on hdd , using the /etra folder and the kexts i uploaded? we'll do a full how to with clover

it need to be able to boot windows 8 too

INSTALLATION TUTORIAL ML 10.8 on Zenbook UX32VD (works for other zenbooks too)

NOTE: I used CLOVER bootloader as it was the only one that fixed a a bug that other bootloaders (like Chameleon) have in recognizing only 3.5GB of RAM rather than 10GB like I have. If you already installed ML and use Chameleon check your "Activity Monitor" or "top" from the shell: there are good chances that your FREE RAM is less than it should be. The only way I know to fix this, is to use CLOVER.

NOTE: one SMBIOS that works well is "MacBookPro9,2"

Please read the full tutorial before attempting to install.

=== PREREQUISITES

OSX ML 10.8 Installation disk on USB-key created with , download here: URL Removed

thanks to 68x for this!

=== BEGINNING

1) Insert your USB-key and boot up (without any flags)

2) Choose your disk layout: GUID/GPT or MBR

Be careful with the choice. Formatting with a GUID/GPT-layout will create an EFI partition on your disk, and it will require that you use UEFI-boot with your BIOS and a UEFI compliant bootloader. That is, your BIOS won't see the disk anymore and will need a direct "pointer" to understand where the bootloader resides in order to boot your system. In other words, if you choose GPT, you need to run Clover bootloader (there are other bootloaders like Chameleon and such, but Clover is more advanced and you'll see it's the only one that works here).

On the other hand, if you choose an MBR-layout, your BIOS will see the partition and will know where the bootloader resides. That doesn't mean you can't run a UEFI-compliant bootloader: Clover will give you the possibility to be installed in MBR-mode (I didn't test this, but I will explain how it works below).

=== IF YOU CHOSE GPT (the one I chose)

1) Format with GPT and choose as many partitions as the number of operating systems you plan to run: if you plan to install only ML, choose 1 partition. If you plan to have Windows7 too, choose 2 partitions. etc.

2) Go back to the installer and Install OSX, then reboot

3) Boot your newly installed OSX using -x (safe mode), it will start with low resolution graphics

4) Open Terminal and type: nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist

5) Close the Terminal

6) Using another computer download CLOVER_v2_r1000 PKG installer, put it on a USB, plug the USB into the UX32VD, double-click on the PKG installer (if your USB doesn't work, you have to load the USB kexts manually or reboot without -x, transfer the installer to your disk, then reboot and boot your OSX install with -x)

7) Choose "UEFI boot (Uefi motherboards)" and check all the drivers inside the checkboxes "Drivers32", "Drivers64", "Drivers64UEFI" (follow the instructions inside Clover installer, re-format your EFI partition exactly as the installer says using FAT32). Instructions inside Clover installer will say:

----# diskutil list

----# sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1

After you complete the Clover installation, Clover will be installed in the efi partition inside the GPT disk but as we said the BIOS won't be aware of it because Clover is installed in "UEFI-boot only" mode: this mode of installation requires that you give the BIOS a pointer to boot Clover directly. We'll fix this in the next steps (if you had booted into your OSX with -x, you'll have to reboot and boot it up without -x to perform these steps):

=== FIXING CLOVER DRIVERS

8) Open Terminal and type:

mkdir -p /mnt

mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /mnt

cd /mnt/EFI/drivers64UEFI

ls -la

(the output should give you this):

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 37888 Nov 24 09:29 CsmVideoDxe-64.efi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 10848 Nov 24 09:29 FSInject-64.efi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 23616 Jan 10 2009 HFSPlus64.efi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 134880 Nov 15 2010 NTFS64.efi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 33856 Nov 24 09:29 OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 4992 Nov 24 09:29 OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

If you have more than these files, delete them or move them to another directory (up one level). If you are missing any files, get them from the attached Zipfile named "drivers64UEFI.zip" and copy them into /mnt/EFI/drivers64UEFI (you can do it from the Finder - the FAT32/EFI partition will appear in the Finder as a disk).

9) Make also sure that the file /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/BOOTX64.efi is there. Do it from the Finder (again, the partition will appear in the Finder as a disk). You need this for the next section.

If the file is not there, just copy it from CLOVERX64.efi - From the Terminal: cp /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/BOOTX64.efi

10) After you made sure you have the necessary drivers for a UEFI boot with Clover, umount your EFI partition:

umount /mnt

11) Make sure you delete your kext cache before rebooting:

rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

=== CONFIGURING CLOVER (general config & SMBIOS config)

Before you can reboot with Clover, you need to fix the config a bit:

1) Mount your efi partition (if it's not already mounted):

mkdir /mnt

mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /mnt

2) Download on your Desktop my clover config that I am attaching here as clover.txt and then do:

mv ~/Desktop/clover.txt /mnt/EFI/config.plist

3) Download on your Desktop my Clover-SMBIOS config that I am attaching here as smbios.txt

4) Create Clover's directory structure for the MacBookPro9,2 SMBIOS:

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ACPI

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts

mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ROM

cd /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts/

mkdir 10.6

mkdir 10.7

mkdir 10.8

mkdir Other

5) Copy smbios.txt as /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist

mv ~/Desktop/smbios.txt /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist

6) Unmount your EFI partition

cd /

umount /mnt

===FiXING YOUR KEXTS before boot

...to be written

=== FIXING CLOVER FOR UEFI-BOOT

Now reboot your computer and press ESC at boot to access the BIOS.

12) Into the BIOS go to Boot, and choose "Add boot option".

13) Fill the Name with: Clover

14) Choose DISK: (choose the iSSD)

15) Fill Path with: \EFI\BOOT\CLOVER\BOOTX64.efi

--- skip to section "POST INSTALLATION STEPS"

=== IF YOU CHOSE MBR (I didn't test this, but in my humble opinion this is the best/safest way to do it)

1) Format with MBR and reserve 1 partition of 209.7MB at the beginning of your disk (format as FAT32, label EFI) - the whole point of having this partition is to emulate the layout of a GPT disk which has an EFI partition. After this partition, create as many partitions as the number of operating systems you plan to run. That is, if you plan to install only ML, your disk will have a total of 2 partitions (EFI + OSX). If you plan to have Windows7 too, your disk will have a total of 3 partitions (EFI + OSX + Win7), etc.

2) Go back to the installer and Install OSX, then reboot

3) Boot your newly installed OSX using -x (safe mode), it will start with low resolution graphics

4) Open Terminal and type: nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist

5) Close the Terminal

6) Using another computer download CLOVER_v2_r1000 PKG installer, put it on a USB, plug the USB into the UX32VD, double-click on the PKG installer (if your USB doesn't work, you have to load the USB kexts manually or reboot without -x, transfer the installer to your disk, then reboot and boot your OSX install with -x)

7) Choose "BIOS MBR boot0 (HFS+Fat32) and check all the drivers in the two checkboxes "Drivers32" & "Drivers64" - (follow the instructions inside Clover installer, re-format your EFI partition exactly as the installer says using FAT32). Instructions inside Clover installer will say something like:

----# diskutil list

----# sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1

After you complete the Clover installation, Clover will be installed in the MBR disk and its files will be installed in the first FAT32 partition of your disk that you labelled as EFI.

You should ensure that Clover has the necessary drivers to access your partitions, so jump to section "FIXING CLOVER DRIVERS" and proceed down to configure Clover. If you're booting in 64bit you can just copy the drivers from above into the folder /mnt/EFI/drivers64 - if you're booting in 32bit I can't help you and you'll have to look for the drivers yourself.

So reboot your computer and press ESC at boot to access the BIOS and make sure the CSM is enabled (this is BIOS-legacy compatibility mode for your UEFI-bios).

=== POST INSTALLATION STEPS

ATTENTION: If you chose GPT (not sure about MBR) Clover won't see your OS (and thus its partition, to boot it) until you fix the nvram.plist.

1) Boot your new OSX :-)

SIDE NOTE: It's possible to launch an EFI shell from the BIOS of the Zenbook. If you get into the BIOS on the last item of the top-menu there is an option saying Launch EFI Shell (this option was working until you destroyed your Win98 install heh!). You can always launch the EFI shell after booting up Clover (Clover itself has an option for it), but if you wanna fix it in your BIOS too then boot up OSX and do:

mkdir /mnt;

mount_msdos /dev/disk01s1 /mnt (make sure you use the right device: disk0 or disk1)

cp /mnt/EFI/Shell64.efi to /mnt/Shellx64.efi

umount /mnt

NOTE: needless to say you have to make sure that the path to Shellx64.efi is right, and that you have the file "BOOTX64.efi" in the EFI partition (you can mount it from your OSX install after you boot up your new install with -x).

NOTE: Remember that when you boot with -x it doesn't load the USB drivers so if you plan to transfer something from USB key you need to boot without -x.

Enjoy!

PS: WTF is wrong with the forum masking ###### with ####### ???

clover.txt

smbios.txt

drivers64UEFI.zip

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references and deleted the URL to unsupported software.
  • Like 4

Do you guys think a tool like this would work in our case: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/

I've been using a non-DSDT on my desktop (10.8.2) without any issues and EVERYTHING works out of the box:

ASUS Maximus V Gene

I7-3770K

G.SKILL RipJaws X (Blue) 4x8GB DDR3-1866

OCZ PCIe RevoDrive SSD 120GB

The only problem I face is: I can't plug USB 3.0 devices into my USB 2.0 ports and vice-versa.

Do you guys think a tool like this would work in our case: http://www.insanelym...tching-utility/

I've been using a non-DSDT on my desktop (10.8.2) without any issues and EVERYTHING works out of the box:

ASUS Maximus V Gene

I7-3770K

G.SKILL RipJaws X (Blue) 4x8GB DDR3-1866

OCZ PCIe RevoDrive SSD 120GB

The only problem I face is: I can't plug USB 3.0 devices into my USB 2.0 ports and vice-versa.

I would doubt it. I also wouldn't risk flashing my BIOS with it.