Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

Good thing I removed the logic board, I found a screw loose in the system. Could have shorted it out.

It took 15 min. to dimantle and put back together for me to do the posting. I did not look at the chipsets. I will look at the high res photos to see but I think there are heatsinks on them.

Good thing I removed the logic board, I found a screw loose in the system. Could have shorted it out.

It took 15 min. to dimantle and put back together for me to do the posting. I did not look at the chipsets. I will look at the high res photos to see but I think there are heatsinks on them.

Thanks anyways.

It looks like the plates with the heat pipes are covering them.

I will look at the high res photos to see but I think there are heatsinks on them.

It looks like a pair of heat pipes are running off some kind of daughter board, could that be the MXM PCI Express connector?

Caslon, would you be interested in helping the MacEFIx86 project extract the Nvidia firmware? BTW which graphic options did you get, the 7300 GT or 7600 GT?

Great stuff

BTW Bofors My iMac (which will arrive at home 2 days after i have left home for london about 150 miles away......*sighs*) Arrvies next week and Mines got the 7600 If you want to explian how when i've got it you get the firmware i'll help.

Anyway.

Couldn't you determine the North/South bridge by installing windows and running CPU-Z?

Was reading about people using standard pc graphics cards on the mac pro.

'PC' video card ROMs are only 64K, whereas 'Mac' cards are 128k. The reason for this is so that Apple can have full-color and full-resolution boot sequences and boot menu (what you see when you hold down option).

Therefore, whatever ends up happening, all PC video cards on a mac (if they run at all) will have a black screen until the OS loads the driver. This hand-off between the video card's ROM driver and the OS driver occurs just before the login screen. (2)

Not sure if it's the same for the PC MXM cards or not tho.

Does anyone know what kind of hard disk is in these things? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd rather not replace the hard disk (added expense, though I could install it without problems). However, if it is a Western Digital model, I *have* to. {censored}tiest brand of hard disk ever. Three of my friends who have iMacs had their WD drive fail on them.

BTW...did you guys see that the old 32-bit 20" iMac is selling for around $1100? Great deal.

What would be better - a 2 GHz MacBook Pro ($2000), or a 2 GHz 20" iMac CD and a PowerBook G4 (around $2000 together)? I'm thinking the latter.

Mine came with a Seagate 250. I replaced it with a Maxtor 500. The few people I have talked with thet got 500s installed from Apple, said they were Maxtor 500s. SATA II 16 meg cache drives with 7200 rpm only due to heat issues.

Also you can upgrade the old Intel core duo with the cor 2 duo processor. So if you get a cheap deal it's worth it. The new 20s are the machine with a newer processor. Sam socket and everything else.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried the 7900 MXM video card. Don't work. Needs Mac firmware to boot. Any ideas let me know. I guess I will have to stick with the 7600 for now.

Does anyone know what kind of hard disk is in these things? I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd rather not replace the hard disk (added expense, though I could install it without problems). However, if it is a Western Digital model, I *have* to. {censored}tiest brand of hard disk ever. Three of my friends who have iMacs had their WD drive fail on them.

BTW...did you guys see that the old 32-bit 20" iMac is selling for around $1100? Great deal.

What would be better - a 2 GHz MacBook Pro ($2000), or a 2 GHz 20" iMac CD and a PowerBook G4 (around $2000 together)? I'm thinking the latter.

well, the macbook pro is basically a portable imac cd. id say definitely go for the latter unless you travel a lot and do graphic intensive work/game.

I mainly do graphics work, and it would be good to have two computers. For instance, if I accidently drop my laptop (never happened before, but always a possibility :/ ), and I have the iMac/PB setup, I am $600 in the red and have an iMac to work on. If I drop the MBP, I'm $2000 out and have no other system to use.

There are lots of other advantages as well.

Apple iMacs are great. There is a misconception though, that they are just laptops with biger screens. They are more like desktops than laptops. For instance they can have much higher heat tolerences so better chips can be used. I have a Macbook pro and several iMacs including the 24 inch Imac. My iMacs are much faster. The design toerences are more like a desktop than a laptop so they will always be less bottlenecks.