Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

The connector is very much like an IDE hard drive connector, just not as big.

That's funny Don Lucha. I have no idea why anyone would mess with the display. You can already hook it up via the Mini DVI connector. Besides, I would use a Mac Mini for my media center, not an iMac.

err... I'm afraid you misunderstood...

The mini-DVI on the back of the iMac is a Video-out connector...

If I undestrood well, the connector you were talking about is a Video-In connector... which means I can hook external devices and use the 24" iMac's monitor to watch TV or play with my PS2...

I agree with Caslon concerning the media center. Still, with the imac you can do that already via some elgato-toy (watching tv I mean)

!!! But as far as I know you cannot hook up the imac to a different mac and use the imac's display for that new mac.

You can only mirror/expand the imac's desktop via the imac's mini-dvi-out

That's why it would be interesting to know if the internal connector (which ,I suppose, feeds the video signal into the imac-tft) can be replaced by the dvi-out of another graphics unit...

EDIT: sorry, went to take a coffee while composing the message. Did not notice that Don Luca responded in the mean time :-)

I read on Cnet news, that the quad cores will be for dual-processor servers. So that does mean that there wont be any quad-core models for boards like the iMac.Thnx!

In a word, no. You probably will not be able to convert any current iMac to a quad core.

The quads coming this year will be for servers & workstations and there will be a high end desktop version. The problem is that the iMac uses mobile chips, which has a different socket than the the desktop chips. There will eventually be a mobile quad chip, but the socket is going to change to a different mobile socket before then.

Yeah, i'm wondering that myself...

I just ordered a near-maxed-out 24" iMac, and I would love to know if the screen will be usable in the future, and if the graphics card is replacable for the 7900 or other cards in the future.

Thanks!

Ok, so I guess we have to be patient for now :-)

But I think I have come up with another way to use the imac's display with another mac. If you attach an Elgato EyeTV hybrid (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=home) to the usb-port of your imac you provide the imac with a s-video-in. According to Elgato you can then for example attach a console and play without latency on he imac's screen.

Now if you attach a DVi-to-s-video adapter to the dvi-port of the graphics card of a mac pro for example and plug in the s-video-out of the adapter into the imac via the EyeTV device you should see the mac pro's image on the imac's screen. Theoretically.

But I don't know how good the image quality would be.

Still, a direct connection to the imac's display (inside the imac) would be better in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this one?

cheers,

lev

Read the article again. The chip is Mac compatible. The MXM card we can't say until it is swaped and tested or released buy Apple. This would be a great card if it works. I wonder about heat and power issues with the stock iMac setup. I'm sure I'll get around to testing it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the 7900 card I tried was really a 6800. It did not work. I just tried a 7800 and it's a type III card and physically will not work with the iMac 24. My only conclusion is that it Mac cards or nothing. I'm done trying. That makes 4 different cards that don't work.

That's really a pity. I would have liked a 7900 in an iMac. But thanks a lot for trying. Honestly. I don't know if I would have had the courage to open my iMac.

By the way, did you get another glimps at the internal display-connector?

Cheers,

Lev

Thanks a lot Caslon!!!

I was waiting for such a picture. Now, does anyone recognize the type of connector? I suppose one is for power and one for the video-in signal...

Come on. We are close to keeping that beautiful display once the iMac itself has to retire... :-)

Anyone have any knowledge on TFT-Displays?