Inside the 24 inch iMac

Caslon

210 posts in this topic

Quick questions for anyone that knows this...

I have a standard Black MacBook Core Duo:

-I heard it's possible to hack the Intel GMA950 Chipset to allocate more RAM to the graphics, is this true?

-Is it possible to switch the processors with a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo MacBook?

-Whats the cheapest way to get a Core 2 Duo processor or just a brand new C2D MacBook? Is Ebay safe?

-Is there a special kit or something if I pay a professional for to take of the soldered processor?

Thank ya much. :P

NO

as you said the processor is soldered on, paying a professional wouldnt bet worth it, might as well buy a new macbook or macbook pro then.

The only way you could allocate more vram is hack the efi to load more (no one has done this)

Hi I have an iMac 20" early 2006, the fan inside my iMac is running louder (not faster just louder) so that I can hear it now (a month ago I could barely hear it in the silence), do you know where I can get a replacement fan for it?

Also Calson you said that the core 2 duo t7600 was running fine on this iMac? And finaly I think you said in one of your posts that upgrading the proc. will allow me to install a 1gb more of ram for making a total of 3gb, what ram would you recommend??

Do you think its worth upgrading this computer?

Thanks a lot,

Diego

Yes it's worth upgrading. The ram will not help much for the money, unless you need it for Quark or Photoshop. The T7600 is still running great with no increase in noise or fan speed. The fan is doing the same thing the 20 I have which I leave on all the time, was doing. When I upgraded the proc, I used 2 cans of air to blow out the 3 fans which were cramed full of dust and {censored}. It's back to quiet now. I plan on blowing them out every year now.

Quick questions for anyone that knows this...

I have a standard Black MacBook Core Duo:

-I heard it's possible to hack the Intel GMA950 Chipset to allocate more RAM to the graphics, is this true?

-Is it possible to switch the processors with a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo MacBook?

-Whats the cheapest way to get a Core 2 Duo processor or just a brand new C2D MacBook? Is Ebay safe?

-Is there a special kit or something if I pay a professional for to take of the soldered processor?

Thank ya much. :)

I dont know if this is relevent or not but some time ago i was asking the self same question when building my hacintosh.

From what I have found osx only reports 64meg of shared ram but it actually utilises more if required.

someone suggested to me that i tried using the system profiler from 10.4.3 and this actually reported that i had 256 meg of ram available for graphics

I want to dismantle my core duo 24'' Imac in order to change my wireless network card. Can somebody explain me how I should proceed in order to open it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I saw the detailed pictures of the inside and the location of most components. Thank you for this. Very instructive. Could you tell me where are the wireless network card and the bluetooth card?

Thank you so much in advance. :gun:

Thanks. The wireless card conflicts with sound card under vista, makes sound skipping. In addition I have a Netgear Rangemax router so I expect better connection with a Netgear Rangemax wireless card.

Could you let me know where are the wireless card, bluetooth card and antennas inside the Imac 24 so that I can change these?

Thank you so much in advance.

I was under the impression if you only upgrade your hard drive in the 24" iMac it doesn't void your warranty on everything else. Obviously the new hard drive won't be covered under the oem warranty.

Am I correct? Or does upgrading the hard drive void the entire warranty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am tempted by the refurb price on the 7300 equipped 24" from apple (1699). Is there any way to buy a 7600 card by itself? anyone know how much they cost? I can't bring myself to pay for a new 7600 equipped BTO machine ($2012 with my education discount) with updates just around the corner. I just recently sold my 20" CD and borrowed an old P4 1.5ghz box to get by until updates. I didn't last 5 days with that POS and went and picked up a C2D 2ghz white macbook (I needed a portable anyway and this one came with a free iPod!). I have a nice Panasonic Lumix LX-1 camera which can shoot in 16x9 RAW. I would like to use Aperture (I got it for $60!!) since it seems to handle my raw files with ease. I am not into gaming and I don't have any plans to start editing video. Just basic internet/home use stuff and a bit of Aperture. I picked up 2x1gb of ram for $100 shipped and put it in the macbook. If I get a 24 I would put the 2gb in that and put the mb back to 2x512gb.

thanks

bill

Hi all,

I am tempted by the refurb price on the 7300 equipped 24" from apple (1699). Is there any way to buy a 7600 card by itself? anyone know how much they cost? I can't bring myself to pay for a new 7600 equipped BTO machine ($2012 with my education discount) with updates just around the corner. I just recently sold my 20" CD and borrowed an old P4 1.5ghz box to get by until updates. I didn't last 5 days with that POS and went and picked up a C2D 2ghz white macbook (I needed a portable anyway and this one came with a free iPod!). I have a nice Panasonic Lumix LX-1 camera which can shoot in 16x9 RAW. I would like to use Aperture (I got it for $60!!) since it seems to handle my raw files with ease. I am not into gaming and I don't have any plans to start editing video. Just basic internet/home use stuff and a bit of Aperture. I picked up 2x1gb of ram for $100 shipped and put it in the macbook. If I get a 24 I would put the 2gb in that and put the mb back to 2x512gb.

thanks

bill

No you cannot upgrade an iMac's video card. It would take all of 2 seconds to Google for that, which is quite a bit less than it took to post all of that.

I'm sorry if my questions annoyed anyone else... I realize that I could have googled and I did. Mostly what I came across were reviews by cnet and the like as well as some threads on other forums. Nobody that I could find (other than Apple techs of course) has had more experience than Caslon at tearing apart a 24". I was hoping to find out what Caslon might think of my idea:

buying a 7300 equipped refurb 24" for 1799 and then possibly upgrading the card to a 7600 if it is available seperately for a reasonable price. I know apple's official stance is that the card is not upgradeable and not even accessibe but of course Caslon proved them wrong with his experiments with several different cards in his 24" (none of the cards the he tried worked but he did find that it was a relatively straightforward procedure to physically swap them out)