P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Wow.... got my energy bill over 2011 and seems not having sleep/wakeup on my P8P67 working properly is going to cost me dearly.....

Time to look into getting this setup.

@Dysfunction: I personally never got sleep (or actually I should say wakeup) never working until now trying different DSDT and BIOS settings so I dont think it is this easy.

So if somebody does have sleep / wakeup working with this board, any pointers on how to get it working would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Unless you use either a modified bios or speedstepper with a correctly prepared dsdt then sleep and speed stepping will NOT work. I use a modified bios on both of my P8P67 Pro boards and it works perfectly on one (orignal revision of the board) and not on the other (revision 3.1).

Note that it could well be my gpu in the revision 3.1 board thats stopping it from working as its an AMD HD6970 (the other board is using a pair of 6870's).

P8H67-M PRO 3.0

INTEL I5-2400

GEFORCE GTS 450

I have installed Lion with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Audio and video works.

USB 3.0/Sleep not working.

Can I use this installer as stated on the first page? Or do I need another installer/dsdt/kexts?

I want sleep to work. USB 3.0 doesn't mind. ;)

Thanks!

P8H67-M PRO 3.0

INTEL I5-2400

GEFORCE GTS 450

I have installed Lion with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Audio and video works.

USB 3.0/Sleep not working.

Can I use this installer as stated on the first page? Or do I need another installer/dsdt/kexts?

I want sleep to work. USB 3.0 doesn't mind. ;)

Thanks!

You need the correct dsdt for your board

Hi Andy,

I've modified my BIOS to avoid the speedstepper patch. I've got a P8P67 (non pro) B3 board (not the later 3.1) with a Radeon HD5500 video card.

The issue I have is that my hackintosh goes to sleep, but doesnt wake up.

I'm using a DSDT but I have to admit I downloaded from this thread but that didnt work for me.

What would be the best way to get this to work? Build a DSDT myself and learn how to patch it?

Hi Andy,

I've modified my BIOS to avoid the speedstepper patch. I've got a P8P67 (non pro) B3 board (not the later 3.1) with a Radeon HD5500 video card.

The issue I have is that my hackintosh goes to sleep, but doesnt wake up.

I'm using a DSDT but I have to admit I downloaded from this thread but that didnt work for me.

What would be the best way to get this to work? Build a DSDT myself and learn how to patch it?

Thats always the best way to do it because you will know exactly what edits you have made - I must confess manual dsdt edits are a little beyond me so I rely on others for that (I can edit the file but knowing what to edit or why may as well be a black art or voodoo to me lol)

Thats always the best way to do it because you will know exactly what edits you have made - I must confess manual dsdt edits are a little beyond me so I rely on others for that (I can edit the file but knowing what to edit or why may as well be a black art or voodoo to me lol)

any ideas which edits got your sleep / wakeup working?

would you mind posting your DSDT as the boards arent that different

Sounds more like you need to download the package again.

Yeah... well... I unzipped it and didn't realized I attempting to install a folder rather than the acutal package. The folder also had a .pkg name on it. Doh!

Hand me my stupid sign...

Ok, next problem:

After doing step #18, I go into the bios and select the usb stick to boot on and it won't boot. Eitehr in EZ select it and reboot and just goes to black screen and no boot into usb. Or in advanced, select in boot list, just goes to black screen and then right back in the bios setting screens.

The usb icon is labelled as UEFI...

Any ideas?

Yeah... well... I unzipped it and didn't realized I attempting to install a folder rather than the acutal package. The folder also had a .pkg name on it. Doh!

Hand me my stupid sign...

Ok, next problem:

After doing step #18, I go into the bios and select the usb stick to boot on and it won't boot. Eitehr in EZ select it and reboot and just goes to black screen and no boot into usb. Or in advanced, select in boot list, just goes to black screen and then right back in the bios setting screens.

The usb icon is labelled as UEFI...

Any ideas?

Ok, got past my issue and installed Chameleon on my usb.

I have a totally seperate drive which has Lion 10.7.2 on it... I did that before finding your P8P67 specific how to.

When I boot from usb, I come to a screen with two icons showing (I believe) the usb and the other Lion 10.7.2.

Selecting the usb, I get the apple and the circle going around and around... it just sits there.

Selecting 10.7.2, it comes up... but I can tell the resolution is better.

So, I don't thing I've installed anything and again, it just sits at the apple with circle going around.

Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions and I'll keep digging thru the whole thread.

Unless you use either a modified bios or speedstepper with a correctly prepared dsdt then sleep and speed stepping will NOT work. I use a modified bios on both of my P8P67 Pro boards and it works perfectly on one (orignal revision of the board) and not on the other (revision 3.1).

Note that it could well be my gpu in the revision 3.1 board thats stopping it from working as its an AMD HD6970 (the other board is using a pair of 6870's).

So what you're saying andy is that if i get a p8p67, i'm still not sure if i can get sleep working?

I dont really know how to edit the dsdt and i dont know if it's possible to find a modified bios for a new p8p67?

This is my DSDT for P8H67-M Pro B3.

There are no compile problems. Also it seems to successful indentify the SATA-controller + HDA Audio. (See [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] - patches from DSDT Editor)

If someone please could fix the sleep problem with it, than this would be great. :)

Thanks!

DSDT.aml.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed through with this procedure a few times now and still not had any success..

Sometimes it boots and then throws a DMI error of sorts... (cant read the rest of it quick enough as the PC reboots).

Do I need to have a working SL install first?

I created the disk out of a SL VM. Does it matter>? Would love to get this going.

P8P67Pro package will work ML?

No but fear not because a new version that will also convert the extracted usb image into something you can boot and install from is on its way (testing it now).

If someone please could fix the sleep problem with it, than this would be great. :)

If somebody could fix my leaking gutter that would be great too! - P.S. Sleep works perfectly with edited bios, dsdt and 10.8 :)

Sometimes it boots and then throws a DMI error of sorts... (cant read the rest of it quick enough as the PC reboots).

If you can't tell us the error there is very little we can do

If you can't tell us the error there is very little we can do

Sorry Andy, was a little tired that night and didn't spend time getting the error...

Right, so what happens is

I tried the Lion procedure... didn't work. (and by didn't work I mean it won't boot, just sitting there with a blinking dos-like screen)

So I tried to use your boot disk to boot it... then it comes up saying "

Errors encountered while starting up the computer

Pausing 5 Seconds...

DMI Table Entries list is full! Next entries wont be stored

give it a a couple of seconds then it goes to the Apple boot screen.. starts spinning and sounds as though its loading from my external (with the install on it)

then just bombs out, have to reset and won't get any further.

I'm sure I'm missing just a simple thing but I have no idea what.

(to be fair the bootdisk was made for SL I think, but I thought i better try the options before posting!)

No but fear not because a new version that will also convert the extracted usb image into something you can boot and install from is on its way (testing it now).

Thank you Andy I show you now your new thread "The inevitable P8P67 Pro install guide" I will try later on. If get any trouble I write it there. Thank you. For this new guide...

Solution for sleep: Just get an SSD. Takes roughly the same time to boot as it would to wake up from sleep :D

Or use a patched bios and Mountain Lion - sleep works perfectly then :) And i bet you cant boot in the total 2 seconds it takes to wake from sleep lol

I'd really like to give this another go today, Andy... Have you seen the error or heard of the error I posted above?

Your help is much appreciated.

Aaron

A snow leopard boot disk will not boot lion - wrong kernel for a start. The other error messge you got about dmi table entries indicates you are using an old version of chameleon (I actually fixed that one :))

Beyond that I honestly dont know what to suggest because I have not seen chameleon refuse to boot like that - I retested the whole procedure a few times (see a few pages back) and it works fine even when installing to an e-sata drive.

You definitely have your hd controllers set to ahci mode yes?

A snow leopard boot disk will not boot lion - wrong kernel for a start. The other error messge you got about dmi table entries indicates you are using an old version of chameleon (I actually fixed that one :))

All I can suggest is make sure you are using the latest boot cd (version 5) and give it another shot.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay so I definitely still need Andyboot5 to boot Lion, is that correct?

I just see no reference to it in the Lion guide.

I'll go give that another go and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay so I definitely still need Andyboot5 to boot Lion, is that correct?

I just see no reference to it in the Lion guide.

I'll go give that another go and see how it goes.

Thanks!

NO - You read the post before I had a chance to edit it - none of my boot cd's will boot lion - you MUST build a usb installer

NO - You read the post before I had a chance to edit it - none of my boot cd's will boot lion - you MUST build a usb installer

Beyond that I honestly dont know what to suggest because I have not seen chameleon refuse to boot like that - I retested the whole procedure a few times (see a few pages back) and it works fine even when installing to an e-sata drive.

You definitely have your hd controllers set to ahci mode yes?

99.5% sure - but I'll double check to make sure.

I've only got a VM to make the bootable drive, so I'll go do that and I'll report back and see how it goes.

Cheers.