P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

Andy,

Hello again! You were trying to help me with the install upthread (around Christmas), where you suggested that I should just keep trying with other USB drives. I finally got around to buying some brand new ones (an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer and an 8GB Kingston DataTraveller G2, both highly rated for reliability) and have just tried your installation method with both and neither has yielded a bootable USB drive. Since this now means I've failed to get this approach working with 5 different USB drives, I have to assume at this point that I am making some fundamental misinterpretation of your installation instructions.

Revisiting your opening post in this thread, the only step I think I could possibly be screwing up is 18 ("run the andyboot5 package relevant to your motherboard and select your usb stick or drive as the target"). By "andyboot5 package", you are referring to the "P8P67 Pro Installer.pkg" file linked at the top of the post, right? Because I have been running that .pkg, changing the install location to the USB drive, and clicking on "Continue". I get the success message at the end of the install process. Then I eject the USB drive, plug it into my Hackintosh, fire it up with F8, select the USB drive (no UEFI option, as you've warned me off that) and try to boot from it. I never get anything but a blinking white underscore cursor on a black background.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm following your instructions absolutely to the letter every time, but I never get a bootable USB drive as a result. Am I missing out some "obvious" (but unwritten) step here that has naturally occurred to everyone else but which I am simply too thick to have figured out?

Many thanks again for your assistance on this, and all the best from Newcastle.

glyphery,

try copying the new extra folder (downloaded in step 3 - remember to unzip it first) back onto the root of your usb stick and try booting. If that still refuses to work try using chameleon wizard and install a fresh new build of chameleon onto your usb drive (you will also need to rename your com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist if you try this). When using chameleon wizard try the Boot0md install option first and if that doesn't work try again using either boot0hfs or boot0 (don't use the upgrade option).

I still don't understand why it's not working for you but try the above and see if it helps.

Lately I am having a problem with my setup. I installed Lion on my 128BG SSD and moved my user folder to my bigger hard disk. While it was working at the beginning I now have the problem that I have to boot the system several times because OSX does not mount the HDD with my user folder correctly. So I get the error message, that my user folder could not be found (because OSX mounted the HDD as "Home 1" instead of just "Home"). The strange thing is, that there is a "Home" folder but I do not know why. Any ideas why this is happening now?

Besides that I have the P8P67 Pro. The SSD is on one of the 6GB/s Ports and the HDD one one of the normal Intel ones.

Is it possible that the HDD boot order has changed in your bios since you first installed? This may well cause the behaviour you are seeing.

Is it possible that the HDD boot order has changed in your bios since you first installed? This may well cause the behaviour you are seeing.

So I should try to reinstall it then? Or do you think I could try something else before?

try copying the new extra folder (downloaded in step 3 - remember to unzip it first) back onto the root of your usb stick and try booting. If that still refuses to work try using chameleon wizard and install a fresh new build of chameleon onto your usb drive (you will also need to rename your com.apple.Boot.plist to org.chameleon.Boot.plist if you try this). When using chameleon wizard try the Boot0md install option first and if that doesn't work try again using either boot0hfs or boot0 (don't use the upgrade option).

I still don't understand why it's not working for you but try the above and see if it helps.

Hi, Andy. Thanks for the additional suggestions and my apologies that it's taken me a few days to try them out... I fell slightly behind in my OU coursework and so have been putting the nose to the grindstone for a bit (to the detriment of my Hackintosh experimentation).

I'll get the bad news out of the way first: none of the above tricks cured the non-bootability of the USB drive... which is a shame, as I was really optimistic about these "boot0md/boot0hfs/boot0" options, as I hadn't heard about them before.

However, there is some good news as well: I started over from scratch yet again and actually was able to get a Hackintosh up and running at long last. I wish it could have been using your method, but in the end I had to resort to burning the iATKOS L2 DVD, applying some Kalyway post-Lion-install fixes, and then running your installer package of netkas' HD 6970 fix to enable graphics acceleration on my HD 6950 (whose BIOS I flashed to 6970).

So thanks again for all of your help; I know it must be frustrating to have Hackintosh newbs such as myself constantly pestering you about our installations going horribly, horribly wrong, and I genuinely appreciate your patience!

Much like Columbo, however, I always seem to have "just one more question". (But you've certainly helped me enough, so don't answer if you don't feel like it.) Basically, I have 10.7.2 up and running on my P8P67 Evo with full audio, USB 3.0, firewire, one of the two network chips working (the Intel, not the Realtek), and my HD 6950 turning in an OpenGL score in Cinebench of 44.94 fps... although any attempt to play a modern 3D game is undermined by a semi-transparent greenish overlay above the rendered frames; I'm guessing these games are calling shader routines which netkas' patch was unable to fully assign.

Anyway, one thing that clearly isn't working is Bluetooth. I thought I might be able to cure this by running one of your P8P67 installer packages after the fact, but each time I've tried this, Lion becomes unbootable after a reset and I'm forced to use Carbon Copy Cloner to restore the installation from my backup partition. I tried exploring your installer packages with "Open Package Contents", etc. but see that the actual kexts are locked away inside "PAX" files. Is the Bluetooth support something as easy as adding a single kext, or is it considerably more complicated? (Because I can live without Bluetooth if it comes to it, nice though it would be to have.)

Again, if you're sick of seeing my posts I'll perfectly understand. But thanks again for all the help as I've puzzled my way through this, and thanks for repackaging netkas' patch (as when I tried to install the 6970 fix using his instructions I had no joy).

Anyway, one thing that clearly isn't working is Bluetooth. I thought I might be able to cure this by running one of your P8P67 installer packages after the fact, but each time I've tried this, Lion becomes unbootable after a reset and I'm forced to use Carbon Copy Cloner to restore the installation from my backup partition. I tried exploring your installer packages with "Open Package Contents", etc. but see that the actual kexts are locked away inside "PAX" files. Is the Bluetooth support something as easy as adding a single kext, or is it considerably more complicated? (Because I can live without Bluetooth if it comes to it, nice though it would be to have.)

Still have no idea why your install turned out to be so troublesome but for bluetooth have a read of this thread http://www.tonymacx8...php?f=7&t=18410

Hello,

I've been struggling with OSX for a few days on my system and came uppon this topic, after trying the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method with more or less success. I've tryed yours. Unfortunally, when using the P8P67 (standard) package, i get no sound, no network. I allways end up using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.2.1 to get the proper drivers for my set up.

Did i miss something ? i have the rev 3.0 of the P8P67 with an ATI HD 6950 flashed to 6970 which gives me a lot of trouble but i don't think this is related.

Thanks.

What is the difference between [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and this guide?

A last question: where I can find a package for p8p67 deluxe v3.1 edition?

Thanks

What is the difference between [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and this guide?

Having never used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] personally (because there was no working install solution for a p8p67 based board at the time that I first published this guide) I would hazard a guess and say the main difference would be the date they were both published and the board specific kexts ;)

Hello,

I've been struggling with OSX for a few days on my system and came uppon this topic, after trying the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method with more or less success. I've tryed yours. Unfortunally, when using the P8P67 (standard) package, i get no sound, no network. I allways end up using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.2.1 to get the proper drivers for my set up.

Did i miss something ? i have the rev 3.0 of the P8P67 with an ATI HD 6950 flashed to 6970 which gives me a lot of trouble but i don't think this is related.

Thanks.

If you are using the latest version of the package on a revision 3 board sound and network should work just fine (6950 and 6970 gpu's can be taken care of later using a package that I made over on Netkas site using his modified drivers).

The links at the begining of the topic are up to date or should i read the whole topic to get more recent links to the package ?

The links should be up to date, I made a few further tweaks for the pro boards but did not publish them as they were dependent on a modified bios and dsdt.

Thanks for your answer Andy.

I've followed your tutorial and I can boot correctly lion without a usb drive.

I've installed also your packages but without success (I've formatted many and many time) :(

My motherboard is p8p67 deluxe b3 and you can find the whole information in my signature.

At this time I'm able to use only 1 of 2 ethernet without problems, but there is no sound, video (1024x768) acceleration and bluetooth (this is not important)

I can install a clean os (only with ethernet) for the nth time :) but can you help me with teamviewer?

I spent many nights with this damn pc :hammer:

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English.

Hi Andy!

Thank you very much for many helpful answers via your threads. Awsome!!

I have now successfully installed Lion using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method (Unfortunately I had the same problem as another user here that got a blinking cursor at the upper left corner when trying to boot from "your latest guide for dummies boot-USB")

After my successful installation I have done the following:

1. Run the easy-install option in the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (4.2.1 Lion Edition from http://www.tonymacx86.com/ downloadpage)

2. Changed to start from the SSD in bios abd restarted from SSD (without the USB plugged in) - working

3. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] again to activate the network 82679 and the sound - working

4. Restarted and had both internet and sound - working

5. Found drivers for my nVidia GeForce GTX580 here

and downloaded the following

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext GTX580 10.7.2 11C43.zip

GeForceGLDriver.bundle 10.7.2 11C43.zip

NVDAGF100Hal GTX580 10.7.2 11C43.kext.zip

6. Installed those files with a kext utility

7. Restarted and had full resolution on my 1920 x 1600 ASUS screen without doing anything in the preferences - working

So, what is missing and wrong for my motherboard when installing the standard [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]?

1. I want to have the fast bus for my internal SSD drive if possible. 6GB/s if possible.

2. USB 3.0

3. I really need the Firewire to work but in my first attempt it worked just fine. I use it for an external audio interface with my Logic pro. But...if there is a patch of some kind I would be happy to know.

3. As for bluetooth I can buy a separate bluetooth unit in order to get the trackpad to work - or is it working now with the special made injection?

4. Is it something I should think of when having dual boot? I have heard people loosing things when booting w7 and then MacOSX. Can I prevent or prepare in some way with a quick reinstallation trick?

5. Have I missed anything else which you think is not good to have in my kext list or extra folder which comes with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] installation?

6. Even if the resolution is correct for the graphics now I have now idea about the use of the cards capacity and acceleration. How can I test that?

7. How to get sleep to work? In my first and second attempt I remember sleep-mode actually worked like a charm but now it dies in sleep. :-/

Well, hope this was not too much for you at one time :-)

All the best

Zyms

Zyms can you help me with gtx460 768mb (0e22)? I have lion 10.7.2 installed like you and I have a full resolution, but no video acceleration (games goes slow etc...)

Do you know where I can find the correct video driver for my gtx460?

My hardware configuration is similar to your.

Thanks

Andy, just wanted to say thanks. The Bluetooth install method you linked to worked fine. (Or at least I can pair Bluetooth devices with my Hackintosh; when I tried to push a file across it didn't work, but I had that problem occasionally when pairing from my MacBook Pro, so I'm not too worried. ;-)

I realise my responses here have been a bit sporadic; studies have been a bit full-on lately so I only get to muck about with the Hackintosh once every few days. Keep up the good work and add me to your "pint list" if you're ever up Newcastle way.

Hello,

I accidentaly replaced the bootloader on my HD with the one in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], for some reason, i can't boot any more, is there a simply way to get the bootloader from this your tutorial on CD, i'm kinda stuck with 2 differents cds which can't load my Lion install, only yours was able to boot my Lion and Lion backup. I have only windows 7 available to recover my mistake.

Thanks

Hello,

I accidentaly replaced the bootloader on my HD with the one in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], for some reason, i can't boot any more, is there a simply way to get the bootloader from this your tutorial on CD, i'm kinda stuck with 2 differents cds which can't load my Lion install, only yours was able to boot my Lion and Lion backup. I have only windows 7 available to recover my mistake.

Thanks

You probably just installed a recent build of chameleon which needs the com.apple.Boot.plist renamed to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

It rename or place the org.chameleon.boot.plist file by itself, i think something else is messing around with my install, anyway, i used MacDisk and partially copied my backup to my other HD and managed to boot Lion. I pretty new to the whole OSX world so it's a lot of trial & error before understanding what does what in this OS.

I first only replaced the boot file at root and the 2 files in extra but this didn't worked. I guess there a few other files needed in order to boot correctly. Dunno why [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] is messing so much with my system. I will keep using your bootloader with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] drivers since it seems to be the only way fo me to have a working system.

Thank you.

Zyms can you help me with gtx460 768mb (0e22)? I have lion 10.7.2 installed like you and I have a full resolution, but no video acceleration (games goes slow etc...)

Do you know where I can find the correct video driver for my gtx460?

My hardware configuration is similar to your.

Thanks

I think Lion should have native support for it as I read from tonymacx here. "

The NVDAGF100Hal.kext that is used for the Quadro and GeForce 4xx drivers is included by default"

If you want to try test your card you can do so with a Open GL extensions viewer.

I actually found out that my card behaved strange.

For example: The movie window in youtube is transparent and I see through...to my desktop!

I will look in to that and come back!

-- EDIT: Now I found it. It is a Chrome/Flash player bug. And it is easy to get around it. Just right click and disable hardware acceleration.

Oh... and today I discovered these twitter kext-guys ... maybe you can find some knowledge there too. I have posted without any answer yet for my GTX580.

Good luck!

Here I've found a kext for my video card, but it works only on 10.7.1 and I have a 10.7.2 :(

Video resolution seems to be ok (1920x1080), but mkv shows slowly with vlc, games also.

Good luck u too and greetings from Italy ;)

Assuming you used Andy's method, how did you get your card to work correctly? I m currently on 10.7.1 and I also have a 460 but I can't seem to get it work even after installing the kext

Hello,

i've read somewhere that PCI is no longer supported in OSX. This is embarrassing, i want to use 2 PCI device in OSX, i don't really care about Lion but i have some trouble to find answer about it. Will it be possible to use the P8P67 MB with an older OSX like leopard ? Some said they were able to use SL in 32 bits so their PCI devices are available. I'm kinda lost here, any advice ?

Thanks