Fermi 5XX works with Lion DP4/GM!

T.B.B.

314 posts in this topic

in one unique thread you makes me happy

my GTX 570 worked straight after applying modifications on post #1

even 3D and QE-CI and dual screen too

thank you very much

just a glitch, but when I start after loading the right boot disk in Chameleon, I just have a white Apple Logo in the top left corner, then a black screen and then both of my screens show white and then the desktop... not a big deal, but it's not so nice as a gray background and an Apple for loading screen.

I can confirm that the instructions are working for me now.

Indeed I have a left upper corner apple logo too but thats it.

2 things I noticed:

1) Cinebench is not performing on full speed of the GTX580 i get 11.59 fps benchmarking OpenGL

2) Your Cuda driver download is obsolete. There is a newer version on the nvidia website version 4.019 instead of 4.018 you linked too.

Does somebody know ho to force the video card operating at higher clocks / other power profile ?

Thx

The upper corner apple logo is a result of disabling the graphics mode key. I'm not really too concerned about getting it in the right place either so long as my system works. If someone else wants to try, be my guest.

Also in regards to the gpu performance remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /S/L/E by moving it to a backup folder. It worked for my GTX 570. be warned though, deleting kexts can cause kernel panics if you aren't careful

remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /S/L/E by moving it to a backup folder. It worked ...

Whoohoo Cinebench boost from 11.59 to 43.78 fps !!!

Finally i get rid off my old 2nd card the GT240 for OSX!

update:

Day of Defeat: Source 178 fps @ 2560X1440

Counterstrike:Source 160fps @ 2560X1440

Instead of throwing AGPM.kext out, I modified it for my card. Once I restarted, my benchmark scores went through the roof.

My system is a MacPro4,1 with the GraphicsEnabler=yes option, GraphicsMode 1920x1200x32, I was using dsdt for the graphics solution before but I went back to a regular dsdt file.

post-642937-1311061372_thumb.png

Instead of throwing AGPM.kext out, I modified it for my card. Once I restarted, my benchmark scores went through the roof.

Thats even more perfect,

How did you adjust that file ? My GTX580 has indentifier 1080, in your example you modified a dev id 1200 card. Should I copy your part or another part and adjust the dev id to 1080 and fill in your values ?

I kicked AGPM out of the library but I think my card has even more potential because the fans aren't spinning up running Cinebench and the cards stays at ambient temps.

Glad I made a copy of the AGPM so I can dig into this tonight. But a little more indepth instructions are realy welcome :hysterical:

Off topic: Lion is much more picky regarding overclocking. Windows runs 24 X 7 stable at 4,4Ghz, In lion I had to lower it to 4,1 GHz otherwise I got a panic with geekbench. But hey whatever it hits almost 14000 points.

Does anybody know wether power management is working on 560 ti? I don't want to get the card just to discover is in full 3d mode clock all the time.

So I also have the 560 Ti and I don't think the power management kext is working properly because I cannot have it sleep on command. It will usually reboot itself after a few seconds. Otherwise I am not sure but I don't think mine is running in full 3D clock mode all time, but if someone has a way to check I would be very grateful.

So I have tried the fix suggested and do get the white apple logo in the corner, instead of the center, on boot up, but I don't see any changes in my acceleration. I have the 560 Ti and am running Chimera bootloader...not sure of the version. Should I change to a newer version of Chameleon if it is available? I just built this about 4 weeks ago and Chimera had the newest most stable option in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] then.

Also, when I boot, besides the symbol being out of place, is anyone's resolution looking weird? When I originally had the Graphics Mode key in the com.apple.Boot.plist file I was specifying a set resolution and here the res is of course much lower without that string. Is this because of my bootloader again or is it because the graphics card is not recognized until after this point?

My last question is about acceleration and performance within the basic functionality of the OS. I also tried the "fullscreen" apps with safari and preview and while they load, it is sometime choppy. Because this is basic functionality I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it and I feel that with any of these graphics cards there should be no problems with these few animations/transitions. When using Launcher the opening of folders also seemed jittery and I couldn't tell if my processor was trying to compensate for something that the graphics card wasn't doing. (My system also glitches when I was setting up a screen saver with my iTunes cover art...not sure if that is involved with my graphics card too.)

So I also have the 560 Ti and I don't think the power management kext is working properly because I cannot have it sleep on command. It will usually reboot itself after a few seconds. Otherwise I am not sure but I don't think mine is running in full 3D clock mode all time, but if someone has a way to check I would be very grateful.

Have you tried to mod the AGPM kext?

On the other hand, I just installed Lion with a 8600GT and everything was choppy until I disabled AppleUpstreamClient.kext

Here's my info.plist file from AGPM.kext. My cinebench opengl score was 33 after I added this entry, it was 7 before.

I simply copied another entry and created a sibling, also note that in this plist, I enabled LogControl = 1, so my log shows each time the graphics card is switching gears.

Last night I played starcraft ii at full effect, amazing! and the fan would spin up gradually, it was perfect, just like windows.

Info.plist.zip

Here's my info.plist file from AGPM.kext. My cinebench opengl score was 33 after I added this entry, it was 7 before.

I simply copied another entry and created a sibling, also note that in this plist, I enabled LogControl = 1, so my log shows each time the graphics card is switching gears.

Last night I played starcraft ii at full effect, amazing! and the fan would spin up gradually, it was perfect, just like windows.

Info.plist.zip

Great. Then the 560 ti is the way to go :gun:

Physix in Windows, CUDA in both, OpenCL, and just a bit slower than the 6870 and a bit more power hungry.

Does OpenCL work on 590 GTX? I mean does it recognize that you have three devices. 2 GPUs 1 CPU? I am sure that the new Mac Pros will have support for multi GPUs so I am guessing that it probably does.

So how come a blank graphics mode entry for you guys allows you to get 3D an video playback, but it does jack all for me and my GTX 580? I've followed the steps in this thread to a T with no luck.

My GTX580 works with "-v" Bootflag, inserting the blank line does not work and screws my system.

My GTX580 works with "-v" Bootflag, inserting the blank line does not work and screws my system.

Just tried that, no dice...

Do you just have the spinning wheel during the grey apple boot screen? I don't

in verbose mode, it just stalls at PCI Configuration Begin, but oddly enough, it boots up a few moments later which no additional messages.

edit: I tried using npci=0x2000, and it gives me the spinning thing, but it doesn't help any.

Dear topic starter.

Is this still valid ?

6. Install ATY_Init. Use a kext utility for that. Don't forget to rebuild cache and kexts.

AFIK is installing ATY_Init not necessary at all.

What I did for full GTX580 support:

1) DEV-ID in NVDAGF100hal.kext

2) Open CL addition netkas instructions (hexedit) in file GeforceGLDriverBundle

3) Cuda 4.019 install

4) AGPM adjustment (add at correct system type MacPro4,1 for mine your devID with a copy of an existing profile)

5) Remove AppleUpstreamKext for removing mouse lag

6) Adjust bootplist with Graphics Mode with an empty value

7) Rebuild the Kexts and reboot

attached Full MacPro4,1 entry of AGPM (not the full info.plist!, just replace MacPro4,1 part if you have GTX580)

AGPM_GTX580_MacPro41_Part.rtf

@hannibal1969: in my case, my graphic card didn't get recognized at all without that kext. As far i know, the kext only identifies the graphic card and sends the device id to the system. But I'll give it another try and remove the kext and see if it is still being recognized.

@touchmybox: could you provide us with some more infos? Like system profiler pics? Can you also check if your card is being recognized during booting? (try with -v) There should be something like: NVG.100HAL is registered and loaded.

So its really strange. I was trying to test my performance with Cinebench 11.5 and while my CPU tests fine and gets a rating of 6.72 (don't know if its that great), I try using the OpenGL test and it takes a long time to prepare. I ended up walking away from my computer for like 5-10 minutes and when I came back the screen was all multi-colored static! I was completely locked out of any commands and restarted manually.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution?

So its really strange. I was trying to test my performance with Cinebench 11.5 and while my CPU tests fine and gets a rating of 6.72 (don't know if its that great), I try using the OpenGL test and it takes a long time to prepare. I ended up walking away from my computer for like 5-10 minutes and when I came back the screen was all multi-colored static! I was completely locked out of any commands and restarted manually.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a solution?

when i step away and the computer and screen fall asleep, I hit a key and occasionally the colored pixelated static appears for a split second before the login box appears. i see this colored static quite often when i wake it from sleep but only lasts for a brief moment. if you're getting low benchmark tests, i think it has to do with the card not being told to switch to full memory and clock speed, this is where applegraphicspowermanagement.kext comes into play. open that plist up, find your mac model i.e. iMac12,1 or MacPro4,1 then follow the previous posts and add your own entry with the card's dev id and vendor id. the way i did it was, opened up macpro4,1 saw two dev/ven entries, took a look at heuristics, then just copy and pasted a duplicate entry with my own vendor/device id's instead, also i enabled logging.

when i step away and the computer and screen fall asleep, I hit a key and occasionally the colored pixelated static appears for a split second before the login box appears. i see this colored static quite often when i wake it from sleep but only lasts for a brief moment. if you're getting low benchmark tests, i think it has to do with the card not being told to switch to full memory and clock speed, this is where applegraphicspowermanagement.kext comes into play. open that plist up, find your mac model i.e. iMac12,1 or MacPro4,1 then follow the previous posts and add your own entry with the card's dev id and vendor id. the way i did it was, opened up macpro4,1 saw two dev/ven entries, took a look at heuristics, then just copy and pasted a duplicate entry with my own vendor/device id's instead, also i enabled logging.

Well I gave this a try and unfortunately I have run into some complications. First, I realized that my build was not on the list in the kext's Info.plist file. So I decided to run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and change my configuration from MacPro3,1 to MacPro4,1. I should have rebooted first but instead I copied the .plist file that was posted at the start of this thread into the contents of the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and then I got a kernel panic.

Since that I decided I might try using my bootable flashdrive of Lion Installer to restore from a Time Machine backup. If this wasn't clear already, my system is a hackintosh so of course I forgot about the bootloader then going missing...

So I screwed that up and before I try to reinstall Lion from scratch (I had a lot of preferences and changes I would like to keep), the only thing standing in my way right now is trying to boot it properly. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] seemed like my only shot at booting correctly but for whatever reason my screen will flash after the bootloader is loaded and I have chosen my Lion partition.

If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated.

Just did a fresh install. It all worked out for the best I guess.