What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

I know this is supposed to be about cards, but a few people have added working USB wireless products.

I just installed the Rosewill RNX-NI WirelessN USB using the Ralink 10.6.2 installer from the Rosewill web site and it worked with 10.6.4 in 64-bit OOB.

I know this is supposed to be about cards, but a few people have added working USB wireless products.

I just installed the Rosewill RNX-NI WirelessN USB using the Ralink 10.6.2 installer from the Rosewill web site and it worked with 10.6.4 in 64-bit OOB.

how are your transfer speeds? Do you need to run the ralink utility in the background? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My MA770-UD3 MoBo onboard LAN from Gigabyte worked OOB with the iDeneb 10.5.8 stock drivers. I get 2+ MB/sec transfer rates. Now if only I could find a driver for my Airlink AWLH5025 MIMO XR 802.11g wireless PCI adapter :-/

<h1 class="parseasinTitle">

</h1>

• 2 weeks later...

Broadcom BCM94321MCA

This card works natively in MAC OS X 10.6.4 under both the 32 bit and 64 bit kernels.

I recommend this card to anyone who is having trouble getting wireless working.

I managed to get one form eBay (shipped from HK) for about £7. I also had to buy a PCI-E to mini PCI-E adaptor which was £12.

If you want wireless working, easily and quickly, I highly recommend buying this card.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
TPlink PCI-e 1x model TP-WN781N chipset Atheros AR9285

Full Support SL 10.6.3+ 32 and 64 (10.6.5 kext needed, how-to in my signature)

Bought same card and got it work the way you described in your signature. Thanks.

Tenda W311U USB wireless-G/N stick (MicroCenter is blowing them out for $10). Drivers are included on the CD for Snow, original Leopard, and even Tiger (in addition to Windows and most Linux distributions). As long as you have USB support plug it in, run the setup for your OS, reboot, configure, **ding**. I had originally bought it as a *spares*/test stick for visitors and wireless testing (I'm the family's sole person into desktop hackery, let alone Hackery; therefore, I did NOT have the Mac, let alone Snow, in mind), and bought it due to the small size (it's barely larger than the USB transceivers for my keyboard (Microsoft) or mouse (Logitech), both of which also work flawlessly.

TPlink PCI-e model TP-WN781N chipset Atheros AR9285 has stopped working after installing Mac OS X 10.6.5.

It says no AirPort card installed.

Which is funny because it worked with the beta (10.6.5) of IO80211Family.kext :)

Any thoughts on this?

1st. After installing 10.6.5 update i lost my AirPort too.

2nd. Installed the old IO80211Family.Kext 10.6.5 (Beta Version).

3rd. Got my AirPort working again =D

post-529983-1289582528_thumb.png

1st. After installing 10.6.5 update i lost my AirPort too. 2nd. Installed the old IO80211Family.Kext 10.6.5 (Beta Version). 3rd. Got my AirPort working again =D post-529983-1289582528_thumb.png

Thanks for your help! ;)

After rolling back to IO80211Family.Kext 10.6.5 (Beta Version) it worked again! biggrin.gif

There seems to be two more solutions available here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1582007

I have edited the new IO80211Family.Kext's Info.plist and it is working. But I haven't deleted the Kernel kext cache file yet. I hope it will still work once I...

There's another thing I came across during using the beta kext. Sometimes the Airport status icon in the menu bar is greyed out and it says something like "no card installed"?! Then when I open Network Preferences I click a few times on the checkbox "Show AirPort status in menu bar" and the status icon appears again. Well, sometimes that doesn't work either. :)

Has anybody experienced similar issues?

hello cario_sc

i have same problem with Airport card not detected after 10.6.5 update.

Could please put up the IO80211Family.Kext 10.6.5 (Beta Version)

Does anyone know if an original Aplle airport card would fit into a normal pc (i do have a Gigabyte EP45DS3 Board)

It would be the easyest way to get Wifi working i guess.

thanks for the held

• 4 months later...

I have had no luck with my RTL8139 on-baord so I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know a NIC that will work with the following... 10.6 64bit and dot1q. dot1q is the key here. I cannot find any mention anywhere in the forums of someone trying to get dot1q trunking to work.

If you are unsure then go to "System Preferences -> Network" click on little gear icon and choose "Manage Virtual Interfaces" then in drop down click + and see if "New VLAN" is greyed out or not. If you are networking savvy and can test that it is working with a trunking capable switch that would be absolutely fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Bought on Ebay APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME WIRELESS MINI PCI-E CARD- AR5BXB6 which is Atheros AR5BXB6.

Had to get mini PCI-E to PCI-E wireless adapter and it working natively in 10.6.7 as advertised.

Together costed me £17 with a postage, money well spend.

• 3 weeks later...
Bought on Ebay APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME WIRELESS MINI PCI-E CARD- AR5BXB6 which is Atheros AR5BXB6.

Had to get mini PCI-E to PCI-E wireless adapter and it working natively in 10.6.7 as advertised.

yah its not wireless N but its reliable G i have fujitsu rebranded to ibm subvendor and works in 10.5 .. 0.6 doesn't like it... if no rebrand it doesnt load due to some differences in real apple and fujitsu ROM..

have tried apple subvendor and same thing.. even with a real apple ar5bxb72. seems pci-e bus is acting different for the device in dell laptops. but on desktops is fine.

i also just tested ar5b91-x PA3665U-1MPC single transmiter from toshiba askey branded from A305 model laptop and works in snow. unlike the azurewave ar5b92 aw-ne772 that has dual transmitter.

You don't need an adapter do you? I always thought mini PCI-E was just fancy talk for PCI-E x8 or something.

Anyway, after years of trouble with my wireless G card in both Ubuntu and OSX86 I've finally had the brainwave of just buying a new card. Can anyone suggest a plain ol' reliable PCI-E wireless N card that also has unrestricted drivers for Ubuntu (if such a thing exists)?

apple bcm94321mc works fine.. with adapter from minipci-e to pci-e x1 (if desktop) or it fits into laptop with no adapter.

Any idea how it (or any other Apple mini pci card) works in Ubuntu? I assume it works fine in Windows.