What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

US Robotics USR5419 Draft Ndx PCI Card

Unknown Broadcom BCM94xxx "Intensi-fi" chipset.

Works natively as "Third part Airport Adapter" with 10.5.1 even in N mode

Upgrading to 10.5.2 kills the card, until you remove AppleAirPort.kext - then support is back.

D-Link DFE-528TX, oob (with little bit of manual configuration) on Kalyway 10.5.2.

would be very nice if You could post what did You do to make it work & if it's working under heavy usage too

I have the same card "Intel® 82566DC Gigabit NIC" and also the "Linksys Wireless-G Network Adapter" (don't know the chipset for the wireless card yet) but both are not working. Any body have any of these two working?

Listen, this topic is for cards that ARE working. Your post just clutters up the thread and make s it harder for people to find what they're looking for.

Listen, this topic is for cards that ARE working. Your post just clutters up the thread and make s it harder for people to find what they're looking for.

I stated that weeks ago, so those posts will be deleted.

I would recommend anyone looking to buy a NIC that has supported drivers to check the drivers available from http://www.small-tree.com/

They offer drivers for some of the Intel NIC chipsets (not the 82566DM, if you are wondering) but could help you find the right add-on NIC.

I would not recommend you buy one of their NICs as they are specifically designed to go into Mac hardware, so your mileage may vary. Some are only for PowerPC machines anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have a P5N-D with the Nforce built in eithernet. Only works with CPUS=1

any after market PIC or USB wireless / network adapters I can buy?

I confirm that the Linksys WMP300N Rev.2 works out of the box on 10.5.2 (Leo4allv3) and is recognised as Airport Extreme.

It has to be the first adapter on list to work though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My T43 Thinkpad IBM has Gigabit Ethernet.and it doesnt work !any help ??!!! PlZ !
more information needed :Hardware ID/Model number and Vendor Name for example 3COM , blah blah ...BCM5787/BCM5787M working Gigabyte USB Wirless 54 (RT25xx) working

Dear Eternal Empty !

my hardware:

T43/IBM

cpu : Intel Pentium M processor 750 (1.86 GHz),2MB L2 cache, bus 533

ram: 512-MB DDR2-533

graphic : 64-MB DDR SDRAM (ATI M22-64)

lan: Broadcom Netxtreme Gigabit ethernet

unfortunately I couldnt find exact version ....but I searched in lenovo website and I found it should be BCM57710 but Im not sure about this.

is there any good news ?!

im waiting .... ;)

IIRC, back in the DOS days we could simply treat any wired NIC as an NE2000 compatible card and it would generally work... in fact, isn't that true in linux as well? Is there no generic ethernet controller driver in OSX that we can fall back on?

And what about ndis.. is there a way to wrap Windows NIC drivers?

I'm using the P5WDH motherboard, and got annoyed that the built-in Wifi skipped out every so often (particularly under heavy usage). I was using the latest Realtek drivers, but still it would drop the connection, and I had to reboot to get it working again.

Then I went and got the Dlink 547 off ebay at a bargain, and it works OTB, never drops the signal, and gets very good throughput even with my 11g router. I may upgrade the router to an 11n draft model in the near future, we'll see how it handles then.

No dropped connections, no fuss, just restart the computer, put in the necessary information, restart the connection, and it works.

Coincidentally, if someone could PM me a way to remove the Realtek USB driver from the startup list once and for all (since it doesn't show up in the login items list), I'd be grateful. I'm on a Kalyway install.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
hello. I have a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN Card and I cant seem to get it working on OS X 10.5.3. What kext file are you using, and would you be kind enough to share it please?

Thanks,

- Jesse

The lack of information prevents anyone from helping you.

I'm using the P5WDH motherboard, and got annoyed that the built-in Wifi skipped out every so often (particularly under heavy usage). I was using the latest Realtek drivers, but still it would drop the connection, and I had to reboot to get it working again.

Then I went and got the Dlink 547 off ebay at a bargain, and it works OTB, never drops the signal, and gets very good throughput even with my 11g router. I may upgrade the router to an 11n draft model in the near future, we'll see how it handles then.

No dropped connections, no fuss, just restart the computer, put in the necessary information, restart the connection, and it works.

Coincidentally, if someone could PM me a way to remove the Realtek USB driver from the startup list once and for all (since it doesn't show up in the login items list), I'd be grateful. I'm on a Kalyway install.

This is a common problem, for some reason the connection on the little header that the card plugs into develops some corrosion and the only way to resolve this is to remove the adapter, clean the pins and plug and re-install.

A better solution was to remove the device from the motherboard, find an old USB mouse cable, a small IC 3.3v low power voltage regulator (this is tiny - less than $2.00 each - I've got 9 more), a 12 pin header to plug into card (less than $1.00) which you solder the USB cable and IC onto and a small electronics project box to house the card I opted for a small cast aluminum 3.5" X 2" X.75" enclosure ($6.95).

I drilled a 9/64" hole at one end to place the antenna connector out of, notched the other end just enough to have the base hold the cable firmly in place and plug it into any USB port and it seems to be more stable than when it is connected to the motherboard.

This is a common problem, for some reason the connection on the little header that the card plugs into develops some corrosion and the only way to resolve this is to remove the adapter, clean the pins and plug and re-install.

A better solution was to remove the device from the motherboard, find an old USB mouse cable, a small IC 3.3v low power voltage regulator (this is tiny - less than $2.00 each - I've got 9 more), a 12 pin header to plug into card (less than $1.00) which you solder the USB cable and IC onto and a small electronics project box to house the card I opted for a small cast aluminum 3.5" X 2" X.75" enclosure ($6.95).

I drilled a 9/64" hole at one end to place the antenna connector out of, notched the other end just enough to have the base hold the cable firmly in place and plug it into any USB port and it seems to be more stable than when it is connected to the motherboard.

Wow. It's pretty nice to get a reply this detailed and helpful.

Unfortunately, it's a bit late, and the 547 is working fine. Coincidentally, I got it for €14 off ebay, only slightly more than the DIY approach detailed above. Gotta love typos on ebay...

The 547 seems to be a really good alternative to the more expensive 556, which also needs a pci express slot as opposed to the regular pci slot for the 547.

One weird issue I experienced is the airport connection sometimes becoming non-functional if the ethernet connection is turned off. It doesn't happen everytime, but often enough to seem to be correlated.

The self-assigned IP address thing doesn't happen nearly as often with the 547 as it did with the built-in P5W wifi adapter, and in any case, this seems to be an issue between Leopard and the router.

Well my new card just arrived this morning.

I thought it was going to be a huge hassle to install and what not but it worked straight away.

The D-Link DFE-538TX works like a charm in my Mac OSx 10.5 ;D

Also it's pretty cheap, I think i got mine for £10 off ebay and to be honest, a bargain ;P

Can some of you list network cards that you have working (native), I can't seem to get mine to show up so I'll go pick one up at the store.

i went to my local bestbuy picked up a NETGEAR GIGABIT PCI ADAPTER model # GA311 (if you do a search at their site you can see which one it is) just put that sucker in and its been working perfectly with no problems

at all. couldnt get my NVidia Nforce 570 SLI MCP Dual Gigabit working..

Running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 AMD-EFI install

ASUS MN2-SLI Delux board

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

Wester Digital 500g SATA HD

NVidia GForce 8800-GTX

HP DVD Writer 1040r SCSI

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S SATA

Guest BuildSmart

The use of a device-property string for ethernet resolves a lot more than just assigning it as builtin, it stabilizes the connections and prevents other devices from being affected because this device is assigned as the built-in primary adapter if you enable and disable the device.

Now for a decent working network adapter.

At the local "Komputer Korner (Trash N Treasures)" I picked up an HP Gigabit Nextreme desktop PCIe dual ethernet adapter (BCM5704) for $3.00, surprisingly enough it works out of the box and is the same ethernet as found in the dual 2.3ghz G5 XServe, registers one port as the primary device but requires a device-property to register it as built-in, once this occurs, it pops up in Network prefs as "Built-in Ethernet" and allows you to bind the adapters together so you can DHCP on the second port and share the internet from the first, sorta like adding a built in DHCP gigabit router.

I can't read the actual part number cause the card was kicked around in a box with a couple hundred other network adapters and other than the labels being beat to death the card looked otherwise OK and it has the HP logo and name on the sticker.

I did see a 4 port BCM5708 in PCI-X 64bit but since I don't have any PCI-X 64bit slots on my Gateway 975 I didn't wanna risk it not being 32bit compatible so I opted for the 2 port PCIe card.

• 2 weeks later...
Have not seen anything on a via vt6103 onboard lan

Does anyone know if there is a driver for it?

Only thing I've seen mentioned about via is rhine cards

Thanks

Hey guys,

same for me. Got the 4CoreDual-VSTA board having the same chip onboard.

Any solution?

Ben