What network cards work?

Dartamis

613 posts in this topic

D-LINK DWA-542 native out of the box working ok, no pulling hair required. Connected at 11GN speed per my Dlink DIR655 N router wireless status. I can't find anywhere in the Airport to indicate what speed it is connected.

Device ID 168C,3A69

I was using the ASUS WL-167G v2 USB dongle, but having problem keeping the connection to the internet. It kept dropping internet within an hour of using, the radio to the router was always good, but no Internet. Had to radio off and on to get Internet again. So I gave up and just bought the D-LINK for the N connection speed too, so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am looking to buy a pci-e mini card to put into my new laptop replacing the intel one that has no drivers for leopard. I am pretty sure many people who have bought a new laptop are in the same situation. Can anyone recommend a model that works in leopard? Much appreciated.

I have a Gateway GT-5668E desktop. It has onboard LAN (Realtek 8201N) and it doesn't work with my Leopard installation (Kalyway 10.5.2). It seems like there is no solution to make this work.

I got an old Netgear FA311 version 1 10/100 pci network card laying around. I installed it but it's not recognized by Leopard. Even worst, it also is not recognized by Vista. The driver from Netgear does not work. Note that there is a FA311 Version 2 card and it does work with Vista.

I followed the suggestions here and installed the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.7. The computer immediately recognized the card. Network in Leopard now works fine. Wohoo! You can download the kext from here. IONetworkingFamily.kext 10.4.7

The remaining problem is Vista. I do not want to switch from FA311 to onboard LAN every time I switch OS. Netgear doesn't support this card anymore and it's hopeless. I finally found a driver for it from National Semiconductor, who makes the chip on this board (DP83816). You can download here

macphyter2

Now this board works in Leopard and Vista! :D

D-LINK DWA-542 native out of the box working ok, no pulling hair required. Connected at 11GN speed per my Dlink DIR655 N router wireless status. I can't find anywhere in the Airport to indicate what speed it is connected.

Device ID 168C,3A69

I was using the ASUS WL-167G v2 USB dongle, but having problem keeping the connection to the internet. It kept dropping internet within an hour of using, the radio to the router was always good, but no Internet. Had to radio off and on to get Internet again. So I gave up and just bought the D-LINK for the N connection speed too, so far so good.

That's funny... I have the D Link DWA 542 as well, and I'm having the problem of losing my internet after 15 minutes or so of surfing. When I click on the wireless connections icon in the top menu bar, it only shows my network (instead of the 10 or so that should show), and it pretends I'm connected, but I have no connectivity. If I disable and re-enable airport, it doesn't even see my network.

Anyone else have this problem? More importantly, anyone know how to fix it?

Broadcom 57xx Onboard NIC - DIDN'T WORK

3Com 3C19250 USB NIC - DIDN'T WORK

3Com 3C980-TXM - DIDN'T WORK

3Com 3C905C-TX - WORK

did you post this question on 360hacker?

how did he get the 3Com 3C905C-TX to work? :unsure:

Mine doesnt work and its a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) :( :censored2:

I installed JaS mac os x 10.4.8 with the loginscreen fix and the intel patch

That's funny... I have the D Link DWA 542 as well, and I'm having the problem of losing my internet after 15 minutes or so of surfing. When I click on the wireless connections icon in the top menu bar, it only shows my network (instead of the 10 or so that should show), and it pretends I'm connected, but I have no connectivity. If I disable and re-enable airport, it doesn't even see my network.

Anyone else have this problem? More importantly, anyone know how to fix it?

I have the same problem using D-Link WDA 2320. It drops the internet and could not connect again.

Wireless Related -

I have a Broadcom BCM94321MC 802.11n 270M PCI-E that worked natively in OSX. This card supports a/b/g and draft N. Got it off of ebay for about $25. I am also running a dual boot with Win XP. Just needed to download the drivers and works perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

hey i have a problem that I would like to solve I already have iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

But there's no way in hell i can get a internet connection my modem it's

an WebStar by: Scientific Atlantic :( ??

And I would like to someone to help me out to solve this problem!!

The modem is irrelevant, assuming it's connecting to your ISP and serving the interwebs to your computer. What you need to troubleshoot is your network controller, either your ethernet card or your wifi card.

Are you trying to connect with ethernet or wifi? What card? What chipset? There's a ton of info in these forums, but you need to know what exact hardware you're connecting with to find any answers. Get osx86 tools here: http://######.com/osx86tools/ and run the pci utils to see what you have for hardware (meaning what chip - For example the linksys wmp54g v4.1 is a wifi card, and it has a ralink RT61 chip that it runs off of). Then do a search in these forums on your specific hardware.

The good news: There's a ton of info here. The bad news: There's a TON of info here, and you need to look through it to find your answer. This isn't the kind of place where you can post a broad question and get an easy answer, the hackintosh think involves a LOT of experimentation with different drivers and editing your kexts, etc. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

It's fair to say I'm pretty new here, so I'm not completely sure I posted this in the right place.

But since you do speak about network cards here I feel I have to "share"

I just installed iDeneb 1.3 OS 10.5.5 on one of my hard drives, on a computer with the D-Link DWL-G520 (H/Wversion B4, F/W version 4.40) and it works like a charm, right out of the box.

The network card gets recognized (or whatever the lingo is) as an airport unit, and I'm actually writing this from within Safari.

The rest of my computer (if anyone's interested) is this:

Asus P5KPL/1600 (Motherboard)

Core 2 Duo E8400

Nvidia EN8500GT 512

One SATA drive with Win XP

One PATA drive with OSx86 (believe it's a seagate)

One DVD-RW from LG - also PATA.

I haven't tested my sound yet, and even though I seem to have graphics (I'm looking at the screen, no?) I did use one of the NVidia options (some generic nvidia 512mb-thing that I don't remember the name of) I don't really know what I can squezze out of it yet.

Anyway.. just wanted to share the news about my D-link card.

Thanks for a great forum, filled with a lot of useful information that helped me install Leopard 10.5.5 on my computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...