Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

Hello Janek202 thanks for the 3.4.6 update, please note the problem with your Donation menu entry, it's written as "Donate_menu"...

Also, may I suggest that once the user visits the Themes tab, instead of it being empty on the right, you could possibly draw/display the current theme set the org.chameleon.boot.plist?

If it's supposed to do this automatically somehow, it's not working on my machine :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Janek202 please, for the next update, do include these 4 (simple?) fixes:

1. Fix your "donation" menu in English, I found it and manually fixed it on my local copy (it's in Localizable.strings /* menu_donate */ )

2. Remove the +x flag from boot file in root / folder, there is no need. Just give root:wheel rights and chflags hidden to hide it.

3. I have been trying to install 10.6.8 on my old Toshiba A200 laptop, which apparently has no code entry like Name (_UID, One) in the Device (PCI0) of the DSDT, therefore clicking the icon (in org.chameleon.Boot) results to an empty dialog appearing. Perhaps place some text like "PCIRoot not detected, please check your DSDT."

4. When I click on the magnifying glass, I get a gray square shade around it (keeping it pressed). I know it's cosmetic...

I have been experimenting with various smbios.plist files to improve the computer, as your list is not complete. Can you please tell me where to send you double-checked plist's to include in your proggie? It would be convenient to have them with Chameleon Wizard instead of me saving them separately for each model...

Please refer to this thread for a list of all SMboardproduct IDs. Will try to find the SMbiosversion's too.

NOTE: This page from Apple has the "boot ROM" versions but they are not complete strings... just for reference. If you're too bored to type, you can tell me which file it is you're compiling... (it's smbioses.plist right?)

MacBook2,1-4,1-5,1-Pro5,1.zip

Hello again Janek202 please, for the next update, do include these 4 (simple?) fixes:

Will be fixed in the next update.

I have been experimenting with various smbios.plist files to improve the computer, as your list is not complete. Can you please tell me where to send you double-checked plist's to include in your proggie? It would be convenient to have them with Chameleon Wizard instead of me saving them separately for each model...

Please refer to this thread for a list of all SMboardproduct IDs. Will try to find the SMbiosversion's too.

NOTE: This page from Apple has the "boot ROM" versions but they are not complete strings... just for reference. If you're too bored to type, you can tell me which file it is you're compiling... (it's smbioses.plist right?)

Your SMBioses are added into the "database". Just reload it using the button next to selection.

And yes, they are stored in smbioses.plist file.

• Like 1

Great, Janek! Thanks!

Here are a couple more SMBIOSes for you to add, they are iMac8,1 and iMac9,1 (in a zip file, I am not permitted to upload them separately, sorry). Both are obviously for Core2Duo systems.

Regarding the empty PCIroot problem, let me know if you want me to test something on my laptop--introducing this code in its modified DSDT screws the system, so I am forced to leave it without any declaration.

Thanks again for your work.

EDIT: Just updated the database, great. Noticed that in the first Macs of the list you mention the socket (1155, 1167 775 etc.) and on others the CPU generation (C2D, SB etc.) Is there a reason you mention the socket-type on the MacPro's and iMac's?

EDIT AGAIN: I notice that you have many computers with empty SMbiosdate. It's easy to fill-in: just read reversely the SMbiosversion, i.e. for MacPro3,1 you should put in:

<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/29/08</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>

as it's 080229 > reverse > 29-02-2008 but write in the US way with the month first > 02/29/08. I am not sure if the year is full (4 digits) or short (2 digits). Unless I am totally wrong, this is a way to go ;)

smbios-iMac8,1-9,1.zip

EDIT: Just updated the database, great. Noticed that in the first Macs of the list you mention the socket (1155, 1167 775 etc.) and on others the CPU generation (C2D, SB etc.) Is there a reason you mention the socket-type on the MacPro's and iMac's?

iMac and MacPro smbioses are mostly used on PCs. MacBooks' are used on laptops. If I have written PGA478, not many people would know It's Mobile Core 2 Duo.

And i7 can be for LGA 1366, 1156, and 1155. If you have a better idea how to divide this, I will change it.

Hello again Janek! Please do not take my comments as myself being a wise-guy; rather, it's in the spirit of helping and debugging. I am a GUI designer and I like my stuff to be verbose, that's why I asked about the sockets etc.

So, regarding the text for the description (as per your previous post) I will experiment with some text inside smbioses.plist and if it makes sense, I will offer you the text/proposals. Your explanation, however, makes sense now.

By the way, I detected a important bug and omission from the latest version, as I am struggling to make the haxie work at work:

1. You completely forgot to include Restart Fix flag in the Wizard, just realised it but never saw it as I had inserted it manually ! It's part of the general fixes, in your "Miscellaneous" section:

<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>

2. The EHCI Acquire flag is not detected when set (upon re-run of the Wizard) although it works, therefore, properly spelled for Chameleon:

<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Cheers--let me know if I can help and thanks again for your interest in my comments.

Hello EugeneY, please understand that Google is your best friend; you could try find it first yourself and then post here a working/checked SMBIOS for MacBookAir4,1 or MacBookAir4,2 (mid-2011).

Janek's tool is only helping you/us, it doesn't necessarily contain all possible models without being checked first, nor can anyone just request such an SMBIOS in this thread as it's kinda off-topic.

See this page to find your exact match: http://www.everymac....acbook-air.html

If you had done some researching, you would find this post here, on InsanelyMac: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=270358

Janek, please insert these in your database for:

(11-inch models) MacBookAir4,1 =

1.6 GHz Core i5 (I5-2467M) and

1.8 GHz Core i7 (I7-2677M)

(13-inch models) MacBookAir4,2 =

1.7 GHz Core i5 (I5-2557M) and

1.8 GHz Core i7 (I7-2677M)

<dict>
	<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
	<string>Apple Inc.</string>
	<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MBA41.88Z.0077.B08.1109011050</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2</string>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>MacBook Air</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacBookAir4,1</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>C02GJ5GNDRHF</string>
</dict>

<dict>
	<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
	<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MBA41.88Z.0077.B08.1109011050</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3</string>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>MacBook Air</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacBookAir4,2</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>G82GGIHZDRQ4</string>
</dict>

SMbiosdate is missing (you could set it as 09/01/11) and:

<key>SMsystemversion</key>

<string>1.0</string>

Probably it's still at 1.0

According to this, the firmware in the MacBookAir4,x above is not the latest:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Dear Janek, I stole some time here at the office to compile a full hardware list (as info/comments) for most of your smbios models, including 2 URLs (specific or generic). You could perhaps add such a URL under the description as a new Wizard feature (for more information)?

That relates to our previous discussion/request. Please find it here, as plain text, and let me know if you want me to continue...

All models here are double-checked with sites like everymac.com, wikipedia.com and cpu-world.com!

Let me know, mate.

NOTE: You also need to fix the Macmini model to MacMini (both capital Ms) :)

UPDATE: I fixed some spelling errors on some Core CPUs in the text document and re-uploaded. Please note it doesn't contain all models currently found in Chameleon Wizard, until Janek gives me the green light!

NEW UPDATE: Janek, please add manufacturing years from 2006 onwards, as older models have been manufactured back in 2006 and the Wizard only starts at 2008... Thank you!

Descriptions.txt

I will update descriptions in the database.

I will also add two buttons that will open links to everymac and wikipedia.

Thanks for your big help.

Sorry for not replying, I was finishing my finals at the university.

NEW UPDATE: Janek, please add manufacturing years from 2006 onwards, as older models have been manufactured back in 2006 and the Wizard only starts at 2008...

Can you be more specific on that? I checked production dates on everymac.com. I made some mistakes on some models?

Hello again Janek -- it's my pleasure to help you, especially now that I have time (was made redundant a year ago!). Good luck to your finals. It's been some time that I personally had exams :weight_lift:

1. I will continue the descriptions for the remaining models found in Wizard. Thanks for accepting my input.

2. Don't forget the MacMini both capital M's and the serious org.chameleon.Boot flags mentioned earlier.

3. The first Intel-based Mac started in 2006. I am struggling to make an old Toshiba laptop work and needed MacBook1,1 and MacBookPro1,1 which I found but could not later generate (in Wizard) a valid serial as your manufacturing years start later than 2006! I refer to your drop-down list.

If you have questions PM me and I will gladly help, even debug the new version prior to making it official.

I've got Lion 10.7.3 on a GUID HD of a laptop. I messed up installing Win7 onto a partition, and left the HD unbootable. I assumed I could simply reinstall Chameleon via Chameleon Wizard while booted from the iPC 10.5.6 Live DVD, but under 10.5.6 Chameleon Wizard has a "slash" through it and is dimmed, so it won't run in Leopard. It would sure help if you could make Chameleon Wizard run in Leopard.

Also, the latest separate Chameleon installer packages won't install with Leopard's Installer.app on iPC Live DVD, while older versions of Chameleon packages work fine, so the packages themselves aren't Leopard compatible.

Hi janek, i've got a problem with chameleon wizard from one week or so.... seems it can't connect to buildbot, after waiting few minutes it shows me this message

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8697187/Schermata%2002-2455967%20alle%2017.11.06.png

sconosciuto = unknown in english :P

i've been downloaded the latest version from this thread with no success

p.s. few days ago i've been removed little snitch from the system... maybe it's related to this?

tnx in advance for any kind of help and for my english :P

Buildbot is know to be down (as a server) many times, stefano.85 so just be patient until it's up and running again.

To check if it's on-line, visit the address http://builds.voodoo...uilds/Xcode4.1/

You will see that now, as we speak, it's down... nothing to do with Chameleon Wizard this time :)

ok! probably everytime that i checked if there were new updates the server was down! :P

and thx for the usefull link! cheers

Buildbot is know to be down (as a server) many times, stefano.85 so just be patient until it's up and running again.

To check if it's on-line, visit the address http://builds.voodoo...uilds/Xcode4.1/

You will see that now, as we speak, it's down... nothing to do with Chameleon Wizard this time :)

The buildbot will be down for about another week.

• Like 1

Would someone be able to explain the ATI config setting to me. I have a Ati Radeon 3650 and I'm not sure what to select in order to get it to work with 10.7.3

the RadeonHD 3xx0 series is not supported at all in snow or lion so no chameleon flag would be able to help there...

the RadeonHD 3xx0 series is not supported at all in snow or lion so no chameleon flag would be able to help there...

Sorry to go off topic for a moment. Would I have any luck with a kext or using any other method on the Radeon 3650?

New version 4.0:

Added DSDT Tab: Easy Compile, Decompile, Extract and Patch your DSDT.

App no longer connects at startup to buildbot to prevent crashes when server is down. It can be changed in preferences.

Added support for dropping files on application's icon.

Added Built-In Chameleon to allow installation without any internet connection.

Many fixes.

• Like 5