Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

remove IOFireWireFamily.kext

after

you solve it

It worked for me, but when i try to install it i got a massage that it cant be installed without restoring with timemachine, im trying to install it on a clean disk

EDIT: Sorry fixed it by replacing the osinstall file

you must copy mac_kernel from lion gm and paste your lion install disk

There has to be more to it then that because I copied and pasted a bunch of different mach_kernel but I get the same kernel panic on startup each time. I had Lion DP4 Working perfectly here but Lion GM is different and needs a different installation tutorial

I restored the wrong disc image. I restored InstallESD.dmg instead of BaseSystem.dmg because I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but I couldn't have been more wrong.

i'm just about to try this and prepare using my hackintosh on my laptop (running 10.6.8 with chameleon in EFI).

After restoring and copying the needed files into my 8gb microsd card. I tried to install pkg for chameleon and extra, but both skipped the destination and automatically select my snow leopard partition. I've tried re-did this many times and it still skipped the "change destination" just like my card was not there. Anybody can help me with this? thanks so much

ignored : just did it succesfully after 2 times reboot..lols

hello,

i try to install Lion gM ON MY DELL t5500

i can boot but i stop with this error

bootcachecontrol: unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist

If someone knows how to fix this I would appreciate any help.

thanks

I deleted it because I got it working...I am still running 8.1...I installed the chameleon again and somehow it works..I am gonna write it all down so I can do it again if I need to...lol. thanks for the reply though. Now that I look at it shoudnt I run 9.1 since I have a core 2 duo?

I do have another question though. I got my network working but I cant seem to get the App Store or Facetime to work. I get No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance. I tried a few things that I found on here such as adding to the plist but still nothing, I even upgraded to 1095 chamelon and nothing. Any other suggestions? Im running a Gigabyte ep45-ud3p board.

Thanks

Great tutorial, MaLd0n, thank you. I managed to install on the first try… but I can't get online with Lion:

This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed
& in Safari I get:

'You are not connected to the Internet' - run diagnostics etc.

I'm using a Netgear GA311 which runs perfectly in Snow Leopard (Bonjour included), I use 'EthernetBuiltIn - Yes' in com.apple.Boot.plist. Any ideas why Lion isn't picking it up?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - in system profiler under Snow Leopard my GA311 is using AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext located in IONetworkingFamily.kext, I just checked in the Lion version of IONetworkingFamily.kext and they've removed it!

ionetworkingfamily.jpg

Can I add AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to the Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext package? Or is it not that simple?

Hi MaLd0n,

sofar I made the Lion Installer disc, boot on the USB stick.

But im stuck at a message saying, cant read the disc, clean it from scratches an retry.

I must be doing something wrong restoring the installer disc to the stick.

What I did was :

1. open the installer disc image

2. open the basesystem image

3. restore the basesystem to the USB stick.

4. deleting the packages alias

5. copying the packages to the restored Base system

6. installing Chameleon 1083

7. Installing Extra.

That way it boots and I get to a empty desktop with that message.

do you have any Idea what Im doing wrong ?

thanks a lot

LeMoN

Great tutorial, MaLd0n, thank you. I managed to install on the first try… but I can't get online with Lion:

& in Safari I get:

I'm using a Netgear GA311 which runs perfectly in Snow Leopard (Bonjour included), I use 'EthernetBuiltIn - Yes' in com.apple.Boot.plist. Any ideas why Lion isn't picking it up?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - in system profiler under Snow Leopard my GA311 is using AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext located in IONetworkingFamily.kext, I just checked in the Lion version of IONetworkingFamily.kext and they've removed it!

ionetworkingfamily.jpg

Can I add AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to the Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext package? Or is it not that simple?

I found adding it back or using the Realtek Official drivers (RTGMAC 2.0.6 is the newest at the time of writing this) caused a KP upon boot. Only booting into my backup partition and removing the KEXT fixed the KP.

Use the driver from Lnx2Mac for Realtek cards. :rolleyes: Works a treat. :)

I deleted it because I got it working...I am still running 8.1...I installed the chameleon again and somehow it works..I am gonna write it all down so I can do it again if I need to...lol. thanks for the reply though. Now that I look at it shoudnt I run 9.1 since I have a core 2 duo?

I do have another question though. I got my network working but I cant seem to get the App Store or Facetime to work. I get No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance. I tried a few things that I found on here such as adding to the plist but still nothing, I even upgraded to 1095 chamelon and nothing. Any other suggestions? Im running a Gigabyte ep45-ud3p board.

Thanks

I would still set it to MacPro3.1 as you're running a Core2 CPU on a Gigabyte EP45 board (if memory serves from this morning).

I'm having a strange issue with this installation method. When I click customize at the start of the installation, there are no packages to select or deselect. Is there a solution for this?

trying to install this on my ex58-ud5.

i followed the guide to a T and boot the usb drive. it starts loading all the kexts etc (as far as i can see. the screen is scrolling REALLY fast) and then the computer just does a reboot. im unable to see any errors (if any) as the screen moves way too quickly.

any advice?

6. installing Chameleon 1083

7. Installing Extra.

That way it boots and I get to a empty desktop with that message.

do you have any Idea what Im doing wrong ?

thanks a lot

LeMoN

try swapping 6 & 7:

6. Installing Extra.

7. installing Chameleon 1083

I found adding it back or using the Realtek Official drivers (RTGMAC 2.0.6 is the newest at the time of writing this) caused a KP upon boot. Only booting into my backup partition and removing the KEXT fixed the KP.

I added AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext & AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext to Lion, no KP. Initially I didn't have a connection but under System Profiler my card was now detected like in SL.

Went in to Network preferences and an alert popped up: "new Ethernet card found, check settings are correct and click apply." I did that and now it works.

trying to install this on my ex58-ud5.

i followed the guide to a T and boot the usb drive. it starts loading all the kexts etc (as far as i can see. the screen is scrolling REALLY fast) and then the computer just does a reboot. im unable to see any errors (if any) as the screen moves way too quickly.

any advice?

I had the same, in my case it was because of the chameleon which was on the other HD it was a older version.

When I create this USB stick and try to boot with it my whole system won't start!?

What could be the problem?

I Tried to use 3 different USB sticks!

Ed

I re did the whole image again but the same thing happened again.

its booting but the I get the message with exactly these words:

There was a Problem reading the Mac osx Installation disc,

carefully clean the disc then try reinstalling.

I added AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext & AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext to Lion, no KP. Initially I didn't have a connection but under System Profiler my card was now detected like in SL.

Went in to Network preferences and an alert popped up: "new Ethernet card found, check settings are correct and click apply." I did that and now it works.

Where did you get them from? DP1?

been trying for days to get this working on a p55m-ud2 corei5 4g geforce210...using my dsdt and boot.plist from my fully working 10.6.8 along with the imac11 smbios and the hda8xx.kext

followed the guide and i can get as far as a white screen with spinning beachball and nothing else...is there anything i can add to my boot plist in order to visually see what the error is,-v lets me see everything up untill the pci config then after that it goes to the white/grey screen

Hi guys,

Got into Lion, all is well but network is dead, any ideas?

I'm using the dsdt from SL install

Thx

Update: using IONetworkingFamily.kext from my SL install brought my Ethernet back. Other then the need to re-plug my USB all is working fine

hello,

i try to install Lion gM ON MY DELL t5500

i can boot but i stop with this error

bootcachecontrol: unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist

If someone knows how to fix this I would appreciate any help.

thanks

Older Dell laptops need the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from SL 10.6.7. If you don't still have those kexts, they can be downloaded from kexts.com. Lots of people who report that their boot hangs with no error message have been able to boot once they replace these kexts with the older versions.

When I create this USB stick and try to boot with it my whole system won't start!?

What could be the problem?

I Tried to use 3 different USB sticks!

Ed

i ran into the same issue. i had just booted from the usb stick but the install never came up. i restored the image again with new chameleon and my computer would lock up on post (or anytime the usb stick was inserted during bootup prior to OS loading).

it has something to do with gigabyte mobos not liking HFS. the only thing i found that fixed the issue was formatting journaled AND case sensitive. but even then, that was likely just luck.

i was ripping my hair out trying to figure out the issue but finally resolved it using that format.