Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

maLd0n!!!

i have a OSinstall.mpkg attached that i have edited from the one in the first post, it has the Memory limit down to 512MB, and any other check system compatibility option i saw in the distribution file i changed to false, so it doesnt have any install checks. it also has the install failed fix in there.

you could add it to your guide if you want.

i have 1gb mem for now so i had to do this :)

OSInstall.mpkg.zip

In SL I could chose from startup which drive I want to boot up. This was done with my wireless apple keyboard. After i installed Lion my keyboard drops and startup and only connects when lion boots up. Can this be fixed? thanks

In SL I could chose from startup which drive I want to boot up. This was done with my wireless apple keyboard. After i installed Lion my keyboard drops and startup and only connects when lion boots up. Can this be fixed? thanks

i noticed this as well. i think its something to do with chameleon though as i did have that issue when i switched over to kakewalk from an older chameleon, and it persisted with the latest chameleon and lion.

thats strange, only thing i can think of is a complete format of that flash drive in diskutil.

i tried that actually. it didn't seem to resolve the issue.

;)

daniel daniel daniel

OLD is Greattttt is very very Greattttt

ALC889 is workinnnnnnnggggggg

Rsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsrsr

PS: Your DSTD is not patching for IOAHCi Blockstorage :):D:gun:

Yep

I do not use this fix

I had serious problems

:(

ALC889 for Lion not working...

OLD ???

@Maldon ..Why Istat Menus not work ?

use smcK-Stat-i.app and SMC Monitor

maLd0n!!!

i have a OSinstall.mpkg attached that i have edited from the one in the first post, it has the Memory limit down to 512MB, and any other check system compatibility option i saw in the distribution file i changed to false, so it doesnt have any install checks. it also has the install failed fix in there.

you could add it to your guide if you want.

i have 1gb mem for now so i had to do this :)

:)

what I dont understand is that I can accesss my bluetooth Microsoft wireless keyboard but not my bluetooth apple wireless keyboard...hopefully this can get fixed.

How can we make our CPU show correct speed? right now mine shows 2.13 but its a 3.0..

Also, if we buy Lion when it comes out and we run this same setup for our comps like we did with the GM version? Thanks

i got tired of trying to get past white screen with swirly, so i just installed all the important pkg's to a partition .

how do i bless it? i would need v24.0 bless or earlier but that is impossible to find. is their anothe way to bless the osx lion partion?

Yep

I do not use this fix

I had serious problems

use smcK-Stat-i.app and SMC Monitor

:)

Hi Daniel ...good night .

Why , you dont Use this Fix ?

Where is smcK-Stat-i.app and SMC Monitor ?

Please Help ;)

Followed your guide to a T :rolleyes:

First up im using a asus striker 2 extreme mobo nvidia 790i chipset

Booted from usb no probs , installation started but once it came to the install on which drive i had no hdd to select in disc util ??

Anyway i managed to use my external usb hdd and installed it on there.

Booted up after installation completed and all thats happening is it just reboots my system ??

Does this mean it cant be done on a nvidia 790i chipset ??

Hi there,

I successfully installed Lion to my Hackintosh and wanted to report. I'm using:

• Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Rev. 1) Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (2.93GHz)
  • Gigabyte 9800GT 1GB Silent Cell Graphics Card
  • 4GB DDR2 Ram

I followed the instructions of MaLd0n. Although I have Cartri BIOS applied to my Hack (which means I theoretically don't need an DSDT), I used the DSDT.aml file provided by Kakewalk for my Motherboard to be on the safe side. Unfortunately, I had some problems when booting with the USB stick. After I applied the Chameleon RC5 bootloader to the stick, the system would hang at the Post screen. I overcame this obstacle by using the Chimera Bootloader from Tonymac that my 10.6.8 System was using and kept the USB stick Bootloader-free.

Installation went fine, after 1. boot I had no graphics acceleration (graphicsenabler=yes), sound and LAN-network. From [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I used Lnx2mac's RealtekRTL81xx driver for network; ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback and HDAEnabler ALC885/889a for sound; and NVEnabler for graphics.

Now all these things work like a charm (even digital output on the onboard soundcard which I use for Plex). Removed the DSDT file, boot time increased a little bit (as expected). System feels very snappy and fast.

BTW: I use the Magic Trackpad with a Targus ACB10US Bluetooth dongle (Version 1, the long grey stick). I initially had problems with Bluetooth because it couldn't find the Trackpad. After doing some things like applying Vendor and Product IDs to the relating kexts, which didn't solve the problem, I mad a Rollback to 10.6.8 bluetooth kexts (AppleBuetoothMultitouch.kext, IOBluetoothFamily.kext and IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext, kept the new Lion kexts on the desktop) with Kext Utility. After reboot the system was able to find the Trackpad and I could use it, but Finder kept on crashing. I then went back to the new Lion kexts and the crashing of Finder went away. Fortunately the Trackpad is still listed in Systems/Bluetooth and I can use it now.

One last word: Sleep doesn't work right now, by pressing the Off switch on the computer, the System shuts down the monitor, but doesn't go into sleep. Of course, it wouldn't wake up either (tried both with and without DSDT)

First let me say I am no beginner and I am currently running a fully working SL 10.6.8 64bit on my Laptop. I need chameleon with special ATI patch to make my 4650mobility working , the booter I used for SL is not compatible with Lion so I figured out newer ones that boot both SL and Lion and that is for me Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r780_trunk_545vm_Shrike. Found on a russian site. I tried different boot files, but this one works and I have also installed on my SL partition to make sure.

I created a LION GM USB stick from your tutorial, added only Fakesmc and Nullcpu and prepared ATI*,kexts that have my deviceID in them. All usesless kexts like AppleIntelGM***,NVDA**,GeForce** I have deleted from the stick. Finally I put my /Extra folder with DSDT in the stick, and added my network kexts. Then I installed the above named Chameleon r70 with Shrike support .

It boots, loads the kexts, creates Ramdisks for Intallation but it hangs forever at "Waitng for DSMOS"..

I tried -x -f -v USBBusfix=Y, GraphicsEnabler=Y and =N, UseAtirom=Yes and =No ..

I don't know whats wrong. Permissions for the files on the stick should be correct .

Any Idea what to try ? The Laptop should absolutely work with Lion, Core2Duo - Intel ICH9 chipset, fully 64bit capable and 4GB of Ram.

I like my SnowLeo much and I work everyday with it, but I am just curious if Lion is really "better".

Attachments : my Chamelon package that I use to boot the stick and a photo of my LION install screen.

post-156995-1309950806_thumb.jpg

545v_Lion_macpronet.ru.zip

Older Dell laptops need the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from SL 10.6.7. If you don't still have those kexts, they can be downloaded from kexts.com. Lots of people who report that their boot hangs with no error message have been able to boot once they replace these kexts with the older versions.

hello it's not a laptop but the work station T5500.

i will give a try.

thanks a lot

i just found out by playing with kexts on the stick that fakesmc is not needed on Lion ! I have none in /Extra/Extensions and also not in /S/L/E ..

still waiting for dsmos - if fakesmc is there or not .

if i see it correct then this kext is no longer needed for booting OSX.

my waiting for dsmos has some other cause.

could someone verify that ?

Thanks heaps for this. I had major issues with various install methods where you start with the 'base install img' - kept getting MBR Start messages on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], tried chameleon and this guide as well and nothing worked UNTIL ...

So I just wanted to share an alternate method that is a slightly different application of your guide that may help those with a similar set up (see sig below).

Installed from a Macbook Pro to a USB connected hard drive using latest developer version of OSX Lion that is bootable.

This is easy to do from a USB thumb drive. Restore the install disk image as the many guides available instruct to a USB using disk utility, then Just hold down alt when you start up on your MBP and you get several boot options including the install disk.

After going through the complete install process on the MBP, I disconnected the drive and installed the drive itself into my GA-X58A-UD5 and booted into my existing 10.6.8 iinstall

Once in Snow Leopard I installed chameleon and drivers from Insanely mac to the new Lion installation using

Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083. I chose the most basic of install options, Ie just chameleon, no extra kexts

I also installed these Kexts from your guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1708285 for Mac Pro 4.1

MacPro4,1 / Core i 136Extra_MacPro4_1.zip6

( 343.57K ) Number of downloads: 666

NOW, I was supposed to use the Auto DST patcher from your guide, but it didn't work (I used the kexts and post-installation guide otherwise)

As I couldn't get Auto DST to work, I used the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] post-install patcher and my existing 10.6.8 dst file that always worked flawlessly and everything is working fine.

The ONLY issue I had was the network didn't seem to want to connect so I used the same realtek kext that I needed when I installed 10.6.8 and it worked perfectly - thanks again lnx2mac for a great kext that is very stable and works well.

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

So far so good, Lion seems to work just as perfectly for me as Snow Leopard did in all flavours up to 10.6.8, I'm just using migration assistant now to transfer my apps over to see how they work, so will report back on how everything went. Sure to be problems here I imagine given it is a new OS but let's see. They haven't completely re-worked this OS version I think, it seems more of a cosmetic tinker in terms of heightened interface design values.

Tip, clone your main 10.6 system disk and use migration assistant to copy settings and apps over from the clone. That way your main SL system remains untouched and you can always go back to it if there are any problems.

Keeping my perfect 10.6.8 disk nice and safe as experience suggests I should!

So far so good, Lion seems to work just as perfectly for me as Snow Leopard did in all flavours up to 10.6.8, I'm just using migration assistant now to transfer my apps over to see how they work, so will report back on how everything went. Sure to be problems here I imagine given it is a new OS but let's see. They haven't completely re-worked this OS version I think, it seems more of a cosmetic tinker in terms of heightened interface design values.

Tip, clone your main 10.6 system disk and use migration assistant to copy settings and apps over from the clone. That way your main SL system remains untouched and you can always go back to it if there are any problems.

Keeping my perfect 10.6.8 disk nice and safe as experience suggests I should!

Hi davoid.

Just my case. Even I am working on the same method. Do, please do report over here if the Migration Assistant transfer method/process went smoothly.

Importantly:

1) Lion 10.7 OS install was not negatively affected,

&

2) All whatever was transferred was working as is just like you were using it in SnowLeo 10.6.8.

That way, it'll be clear to go ahead with doing the 1-click MigAssist routine to get your workplace to Lion or manual copy-paste job to Lion, re-installing all the apps, and re-doing all the settings and what nots.... :P

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :(

problem solved with "DSMOS waiting". I created the stick from fresh and could install..

now I need QE/CI..

patched ATi kexts and booted give me 1366x768 internal with mobility 4650 card but no opengl working.. in SL this always did the trick. Lion kexts has no more "bundle" and "plugin" for atiradeonx2000.kext.

which next i need to look into ?

loaded are ati4600controller,atisupport,atiradeonx20000 and atiframebuffer.

so far i see nothing improved compared to SL. Only fullscreen mode is nice .. If I can't find a solution i will go back to SL, maybe it takes a bit until more solutions pop up. At least I now have a bootable mac recovery solution on the stick ;)

Got it installed, up an running. Ethernet does not work.

any one knows ?

Gigabyte GA EP45 DS3R

Quad core

QuadGraphics now working

but ethernet still isnt ;)

m8, I had to use the IONetworkingFamily kext from my SL install to get Gigabit working. I wonder if this can be patched in DSDT

Hope that helps, good luck!

for anyone who has the issue of a pure white screen with a rainbow swirly ball thing when you try to boot Lion installer, i have a fix, and will make a short guide saying what i did, link soon.

EDIT\ here ya go

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261698

im not sure exactly why it works but it does! probably chameleon update ;)