Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Yesterday I managed to install Lion DP4 on my Toshiba X200-21K.

I always try to install new things on my external disk which is connected via USB - and now Lion is on one partition of my external USB hard drive.

Maybe someone will have same ideas/configuration so I'm describing here what I had done and how I managed to install Lion DP4.

When I had booted laptop with USB disk and trying to boot installation USB I got "Still waiting for root device"...

Finally got It boot with "USBLegacyOff=Yes" in Chamelleon boot loader.

Second thing was POST installation screen: "Before you begin - you must connect your keyboard" ...

But I was pretty sure that keyboard was working - since CapsLock was working.

I've booted into USB installation again this time with "USBLegacyOff=Yes -s" and entered this command via terminal:

mount -uw /

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

Than Lion DP4 booted -> but since I've canceled initial setup procedure - there was no user on system, except root - but I didn't want to mess around with guessing password - so I've booted from USB again and started "Password Recovery" for root on LION.

With this 3 things/procedures I've managed to get into Lion DP4 - and It's great, but (there is always a but )

system still needs little patching.

--------------

Not working:

Sound

My ethernet port is not working.

Bluetooth - not working

WebCam - not working - this wasn't working on SL either.

Working

Trackpad and Keyboard working! - Same as in SL

USB ports are working

Display - 1680 x 1050 Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB -> I think this is working - same as in SL

Still needs some patches or different kexts..

Wifi - Dlink- DWA-125 is working only with open unencrypted network -> Drivers are from RalinkTech.com

When restarting my laptop, than laptop restarts, but second after shuts down.

----------------

If someone knows for a good kext around here please let me know!

Thank you MaLd0n for great tutorial!

Perfect. It now boots... :P

send me DSDT generate in desktop

Attached.

dsdt.aml.zip

I also installed VoodoHDA 0.2.56 and now I have sound.

But graphics is strange: I have a MSI 7600GT. If I boot with GraphicsEnabler=No it is not recognized.

post-45829-1309555629_thumb.png

If I boot GraphicsEnabler=Yes, I get a Kernal Panic.

Update: Changing to 32 bit mode, it boots normally...

If I boot with -x it is perfectly identified:

post-45829-1309557070_thumb.png

What shall I do? Thanks/Obrigado

R Silva

Use legacy in S/L/E

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=90590

+

GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot screen

MaLd0n, the legacy4800controller + graphicsenabler dint work, it stopped at the same page

so i tried copying all ATI kexts from Snow to Lion's extra, and yes it finally works! Thanks!

finished with the install and i boot into lion, the resolution is only 1024x768 and there isnt any other options @ display setting..

erm... mayb i shud try graphicsenabler again... it is really a good guide!

by the way, if i install chamelon to lion now, will it affect the boot loader of other OS? i hv 2 other HD containing win7 and Snow respectively.

"by the way, if i install chamelon to lion now, will it affect the boot loader of other OS? i hv 2 other HD containing win7 and Snow respectively."

depends if you mack lion cham partition active. i think if you install cham on partition1 for example and set it active then install cham on 3 but dont set it active you can boot the 3rd partition cham from the first cham.

anybody done this before?

Dear MaLd0n thanks for your guide; I downloaded the Lion GM build 11A511 but your method no longer works :D

First of all, there is no "Packages" link to delete in /Library/Installation; I had to manually copy all packages from Mac OS X Install ESD mounted .dmg to Mac OS X Base System (USB restored) at root level, of course ( / )

I was able to boot on the installer window, but when selected to Reinstall Mac OS X I got an error that the installation disk is damaged and cannot continue installation...

I think the packages are in the wrong place? Thanks again!

CORRECTION:

1. Although I downloaded your Extra Lion DP4.pkg package, I copied the necessary mach_kernel file to root of USB from the one in Mac OS X Install ESD to see if it works/boots. It works.

2. The symbolic link "Packages" indeed exists, in USB's /System/Installation which I deleted and moved the whole "Packages" (copied earlier from Mac OS X Install ESD) there. Upon reboot, I got the installation screen.

BUT: I didn't get the installation options screen first; went straight to installation dialog.

Also, there is nothing to "Customize" as the Customize list is empty (if I press the button).

Using latest Chameleon 1078 and reading /Extra/ contents from my existing HDD (I am installing Lion GM as test to a USB HDD).

ALSO: In -v (verbose) mode, the boot process for installation reads again all the kexts, just like if I did -f (flush). Is this expected?

depends if you mack lion cham partition active. i think if you install cham on partition1 for example and set it active then install cham on 3 but dont set it active you can boot the 3rd partition cham from the first cham.

anybody done this before?

ha... i need this answer too, coz really scare that by installing the chameleon will spoil my current boot

i got my graphics card works now, after transfering all ATI kexts into Lion harddrive by the help of kext helper. Hehe!

What is the highlight of lion? it seems to b so similar to Snow. And the launchpad is a replacement of dashboard?

the process is the same (many reports that works)

the installer copies the kernel to the root

I will test :(

my video card died

I have no qe / ci

and ruefully 01r.png

MaLd0n! MaLd0n! MaLd0n!

Pal, help me out. I just did everything. The installation went fine from the USB pen drive.

However, there is this problem with the boot loader.

When, I select the HDD on which Lion 10.7 is installed, the boot loader pops up several errors as:

Boot0: GPT error
Boot0: error.

Something on the same lines. I don't exactly remember the exact text, coz in a hurry to post here, I didn't note them down.

But, I checked on the net and found that it's an error about a partition not being set "Active".

I tried with fdisk -e /dev/rdisk4 commands in terminal but to no success.

Please, can you help me out?

I understand that with the Golden Master released, you must be having a very hard time keeping up with everybody's requests. :)

Awaiting your reply with high hopes.

Thanks a million.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra ;)

Hi guys,

I tried to boot Lion but it stucks here:

post-818128-1309628438_thumb.jpg

I tried booting with:

-x -v

-x -v PciRoot=1

-x -v arch=x86_64

It stucks at the same point.

I tried to boot SnowLeopard Install Retail (10.6.0) and it gets to installation with no problem.

Thanks,

oki.

It's a laptop - it has attached USB mouse and keyboard but doesn't make a difference. :(

remove ps2 kexts in Extensions.mkext(use Mkext Tool)

use mouse and keyboard USB

try it

after use ApplePS2

use it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833

active partition

the partition is primary?

Hola! Thank u so much for d quick reply, mald0n.

I have used that very svn chameleon 1083 version .pkg to install on lion partition.

Next, I even extracted d files Boot0, boot1h, boot, and fdisk440 from the pkg.

After that I ran d manual commands in terminal from Snow leopard 10.6.8 to install chameleon 1083 into lion partition. But that fails. Same error.

Next I tried d make partition active using fdisk in terminal with f 1 write y quit procedure too.

Same errors.

Lastly, my hd is WD 1TB. Totally empty, unused. I used disk utility in SLeo to partition dis drive into 150 GB for Lion n rest for data. I used GUID PT.

The errors are as follows:

Boot0: GPT
boot0: test
Boot0: GPT
boot0: error

Latest try shot I did was, I used the USB Pen drive with Lion installation to boot the pc, n selected Lion HDD partition.

Voila! It booted perfectly. Everything went smoothly.

I think I have QE/CI. Dashboard has smoother ripples than in SL 10.6.8.

Even Realtek 8111D is detected n shows connected. But I couldnt access Internet at all from it.

I tried various tricks. But LAN card can be pinged. But the adsl modem doesn't return ping reply.

As ur package had LNX2Mac kexts, they r loaded in kextstat output.

Yet cannot browse internet.

I'll save that for later.

I request u to help me fix bootloader problem. Rest I can wait to get fixed.

Respect n regards,

Freaky Chokra :(

remove ps2 kexts in Extensions.mkext(use Mkext Tool)

use mouse and keyboard USB

try it

after use ApplePS2

Hi MaLd0n,

thank you for help. Unfortunately this was a red herring - I removed all PS2 kexts from mkext - now there is no error but booting stucks anyway. I assume that my real problem with this boot is "nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2". I was trying to find in kexts (using strings on executable kext) which kext actually spits out this message but I was unable to find it which is weird.

Any ideas where this one comes from?

I also tried to put AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from Snow Leopard (as I found similar cases with those recommendations) but it didn't help.

BR,

Oki.

use it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=227833

active partition

the partition is primary?

Hey MaLd0n.

I found this link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097#

Scrolling down 70% of d guide, the FAQ/ troubleshooting section by Digital_Dreamer explains why PCs will show boot0: GPT / ERROR messages.

It says to heck hdd boot priority.

It's strange that, I did select that 1TB LION hdd using F12 bios hdd selection boot menu to boot into Lion. N yet no success. This was before reading the link I have posted. :)

I've to check it, but in a few hours. Not at home using my rig. Currently, browsing n replying thru my iPhone 3GS.

SO, hoping u can help us out. All those who might be facing this problem.

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

Thanks for the great guide!

But I tried and got no success. Base system seems to boot correctly, but all I get after apple logo bootscreen is a spinning color wheel cursor for a while, and installation window doesn't shown at all. +(

Any ideas?

UPD: Sorry, forgotten about HW:

MB: Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Graphics: MSI R6870

RAM: 8 GB OCZ

Thanks for the great guide!

But I tried and got no success. Base system seems to boot correctly, but all I get after apple logo bootscreen is a spinning color wheel cursor for a while, and installation window doesn't shown at all. +(

Any ideas?

UPD: Sorry, forgotten about HW:

MB: Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Graphics: MSI R6870

RAM: 8 GB OCZ

Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=n, I have a 6870 on one of the hacks and the same happens if it is set to y.

Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=n, I have a 6870 on one of the hacks and the same happens if it is set to y.

Didn't work. All differencies between Y and N in background image.

GE=Y

image.png

GE=N

image.png

So seems like GE=N is a regression relatively GE=Y. +)