Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

i just found out by playing with kexts on the stick that fakesmc is not needed on Lion ! I have none in /Extra/Extensions and also not in /S/L/E ..

still waiting for dsmos - if fakesmc is there or not .

if i see it correct then this kext is no longer needed for booting OSX.

my waiting for dsmos has some other cause.

could someone verify that ?

No :thumbsup_anim:

You definitely still need the fakesmc but you should try a 2.x instead of the 3.1. or look if the .kext is loaded in verbose mode.

Another thing is that this could also be linked to iopci. Many people, especially femi users are stucked with a "dsmos has arrived" error.

I would like to thank MaLd0n for this perfect guide. I had tried the xpc method and even though i got it installed, it was such a mess. With MaLd0n's method I now have a PERFECT install on my HP DV4T-1300SE core 2 duo with Geforce 105M 512MB machine with IDT sound card. Everything works, even the memory card reader! I didn't even have to do any custom DSDT (I frankly don't know how to do it). If anyone needs help with kexts etc for HP DV4T, then PM me and i will be glad to help.

Thank you again MaLd0n and InsanelyMac forums. By the way, i am running GM.

I would like to thank MaLd0n for this perfect guide. I had tried the xpc method and even though i got it installed, it was such a mess. With MaLd0n's method I now have a PERFECT install on my HP DV4T-1300SE core 2 duo with Geforce 105M 512MB machine with IDT sound card. Everything works, even the memory card reader! I didn't even have to do any custom DSDT (I frankly don't know how to do it). If anyone needs help with kexts etc for HP DV4T, then PM me and i will be glad to help.

Thank you again MaLd0n and InsanelyMac forums. By the way, i am running GM.

Hey ladiciuus

You're Welcome :(

Thanks heaps for this. I had major issues with various install methods where you start with the 'base install img' - kept getting MBR Start messages on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], tried chameleon and this guide as well and nothing worked UNTIL ...

So I just wanted to share an alternate method that is a slightly different application of your guide that may help those with a similar set up (see sig below).

Installed from a Macbook Pro to a USB connected hard drive using latest developer version of OSX Lion that is bootable.

This is easy to do from a USB thumb drive. Restore the install disk image as the many guides available instruct to a USB using disk utility, then Just hold down alt when you start up on your MBP and you get several boot options including the install disk.

After going through the complete install process on the MBP, I disconnected the drive and installed the drive itself into my GA-X58A-UD5 and booted into my existing 10.6.8 iinstall

Once in Snow Leopard I installed chameleon and drivers from Insanely mac to the new Lion installation using

Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083. I chose the most basic of install options, Ie just chameleon, no extra kexts

I also installed these Kexts from your guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1708285 for Mac Pro 4.1

MacPro4,1 / Core i 136Extra_MacPro4_1.zip6

( 343.57K ) Number of downloads: 666

NOW, I was supposed to use the Auto DST patcher from your guide, but it didn't work (I used the kexts and post-installation guide otherwise)

As I couldn't get Auto DST to work, I used the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] post-install patcher and my existing 10.6.8 dst file that always worked flawlessly and everything is working fine.

The ONLY issue I had was the network didn't seem to want to connect so I used the same realtek kext that I needed when I installed 10.6.8 and it worked perfectly - thanks again lnx2mac for a great kext that is very stable and works well.

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

So far so good, Lion seems to work just as perfectly for me as Snow Leopard did in all flavours up to 10.6.8, I'm just using migration assistant now to transfer my apps over to see how they work, so will report back on how everything went. Sure to be problems here I imagine given it is a new OS but let's see. They haven't completely re-worked this OS version I think, it seems more of a cosmetic tinker in terms of heightened interface design values.

Tip, clone your main 10.6 system disk and use migration assistant to copy settings and apps over from the clone. That way your main SL system remains untouched and you can always go back to it if there are any problems.

Keeping my perfect 10.6.8 disk nice and safe as experience suggests I should!

So far all apps seem to work fine, although not many have the full screen functionality that seems to be a feature of lion. My VOIP app is the only one that doesn't seem to work at this stage. Office 2011 is fine, Premiere CS5 works, Logic seemed to work although I'll need to test all my 3rd party plugins with this. It will take a couple of days to verify but only 3 out 40 or so apps seems to have RIP status in Lion. I have lot more to check though but interesting start, I thought there would be less reverse compatibility and many more issues.

Great install guide, everything went well. Thanks MaLd0n

Running Lion on Asus P5E via external usb drive for now.

Repaired LAN - IONetworkingFamily.kext (1.9), LegacyAppleYukon2.kext, RealtekR1000SL.kext. This was fussy at 1st then after going through Network Preferences Panel and clicking around it worked.

Repaired Video resolution - edit com.apple.Boot.plist added graphics enabler + res size

Audio took me a while to figure out, decided to installed Voodoo Audio latest. After install and going into Restart had KP... re boot OK check and fix permissions and so far so good. I still have the AD1988b.Fix.kext file in my E/E folder, wonder if I should remove it... well it works atm.

Edit: Voodoo audio is noisy I uninstalled it... now using the patched AppleHDA.kext from Here Thanks to oldnapalm

trying to install on my laptop Asus F3sv with core2duo.

partition gpt but didn't make new partition as i've already have this partition from the snow leopard.

i just erased the snow leopard and tried install lion into this partition.

installer running to about 17min more just before the "X" picture and said "an error occured while installing mac os x".

i'm totally clueless, i've tried three different chameleon version,followed this thread guide thoroughly. But still with no success.

I've googled around, but the problem seemed to be a problem with many possibilities.

I've even follow the guide for fix for spinning cursor even though i never had that.

hope somebody can help me..thanks

did you try booting the hdd from the usb anyways, sometimes people get that but it still works :)

are u referring to my post or others? :angel:

i've made installer succesfully. it just stopped at around "17min more".. and i don't think the installation is progressing

because only about 1min passed by. and even if i want to quit the installer manually, the cursor started spinning and like the system hanged.. T_T

Hi davoid.

Just my case. Even I am working on the same method. Do, please do report over here if the Migration Assistant transfer method/process went smoothly.

Importantly:

1) Lion 10.7 OS install was not negatively affected,

&

2) All whatever was transferred was working as is just like you were using it in SnowLeo 10.6.8.

That way, it'll be clear to go ahead with doing the 1-click MigAssist routine to get your workplace to Lion or manual copy-paste job to Lion, re-installing all the apps, and re-doing all the settings and what nots.... :D

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :)

Freaky, no probs. I used your guide to get my SL up and running so happy to return the favour. Pleased to say most things are working no problem, although not all apps have the matching interface upgrades, Ie full screen capability. I've got a lot of work on right now so I'm going to have to stop playing with lion for a bit, but ...

So far FinalCut, Premiere, Office 2011, Logic (minus some older plugins) seem to work well. The interface in Lion takes some getting used to tho. Little Snitch needs a Lion upgrade but the beta offering works well.

I'd be a bit cautious and say my system might have different issues to yours. With migration assistant, you do seem to drag a lot of accumulated {censored} over, which is not a reflection on system capability etc, but just (in my case) some cleaning up you need to do first. Old apps I don't use, files in bizarre places etc. The mess I might transfer is far less hassle for me though than doing a clean install of scores of apps/settings/activations/hacks etc.

I would suggest:

1) Make an image of your clean, working Lion install and save it somewhere so you can restore, or do a direct SuperDuper or CloneX exact duplicate first. Note, the only issue here is that sometimes you might need to re-install chameleon to this cloned drive, but its an easy process.

2) Clone your existing Snow Leopard install as well.

3) Use the SL Clone as the disk you target to retrieve settings apps from. The problem with migration assist is that typically it will cause your app licences to stop working on your OLD install. If you use a clone you get around that problem, your original OSX primary HD remains as it was.

That way you can pretty much play with the migration process risk free. You still have your cloned working Lion install, and nothing can hurt your master SL install in the process. You might need to buy an extra disk or two but well worth it for peace of mind.

Hope that helps. I'll report back when I've done some more playing next week.

Cheers,

are u referring to my post or others? :blink:

i've made installer succesfully. it just stopped at around "17min more".. and i don't think the installation is progressing

because only about 1min passed by. and even if i want to quit the installer manually, the cursor started spinning and like the system hanged.. T_T

open the log as soon as you start the install so you can see whats going on, log is in the top toolbar

Followed the guide but I fail when trying to boot the USB Lion Installer...

I get the boot menu fine, I choose the Base System USB Partition. It looks like it's going well in verbose mode but the last few messages I see before it freezes are:

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3
No interval found for . Using 80000000
nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2
nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::startForReal - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Transcript Offline - Buffer Pool Allocate [181000] failed
DSMOS has arrived

After this point computer freezes. My hardware is:

ASUS K53E Laptop:

Sandy Bridge i5 2410M

6GB Ram (4GB + 2GB)

Intel 3000 Graphics

I'm using the GM disc image and have followed the above instructions exactly. Any ideas?

Thanks

i am stuck at this page i tried reinstalling lion a few times installer goes through, takes 20 minutes then restart and kabang. Damage pics below.

A few different tries -x -v i get to a black screen monitor is getting signal and computer is on but 10 minutes and nothing else happening. I restart with different boot cd and it just keeps restarting

post-98028-1310017300_thumb.jpg

post-98028-1310017309_thumb.jpg

post-98028-1310017317_thumb.jpg

post-98028-1310017325_thumb.jpg

No :blink:

You definitely still need the fakesmc but you should try a 2.x instead of the 3.1. or look if the .kext is loaded in verbose mode.

Another thing is that this could also be linked to iopci. Many people, especially femi users are stucked with a "dsmos has arrived" error.

how do you fix that error, a fakesmc 2.x?

i am stuck at this page i tried reinstalling lion a few times installer goes through, takes 20 minutes then restart and kabang. Damage pics below.

A few different tries -x -v i get to a black screen monitor is getting signal and computer is on but 10 minutes and nothing else happening. I restart with different boot cd and it just keeps restarting

I would do the following:

1- Delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from S/L/E

2- Remove all Fakesmc pluggins (You are probably using version 3.1.0)

3- Add FakeSMC 2.1 or 2.5

Then experiment if you manage to boot all the way.

Good luck

p55m-ud2

core i5 750

4 g ddr3

pny geforce 210 512

finally managed to get installed using graphics string and arch=i386 in my boot plist...it won't run in 64bit just hangs at grey screen beach ball,have tried booting in 32/64 with ge=y and also the nvenabler and it hangs so i am assuming its my graphics card thats causing my problem as it will only run in 32bit mode with the string

so i am off to get another card to try

Hello everyone, thanks for that guide!

I have a little problem, I can't install the DSDT Auto-Patcher. I don't have Java Runtime, but i can't install it too... Where can i find a working java runtime installer for Lion? Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone !

I've been trying to boot Lion DP4 for hours and I can get what I'm doing wrong (I can't use GM because I need CoreDuo support).

I STRICTLY followed MaLd0n's guide, but as my computer is a CoreDuo I tried (in a second time )to remove

/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

... thats the only thing I changed ...

I attached a picture of the last screen I get when I boot with

Wait=Yes

after that when I press a key I have a black screen and nothing happens...

I have tried other (newer, older) Chameleon RC5, I made sure that the right mach_kernel was loaded, tried GUID partition table, MBR partition table with custom OSInstall and OSInstall.mpkg, EFI string for my GMA 950, boot -X, -f ... etc

But now I running out of ideas ... I never get stuck so early in the boot sequence (I known how to debug several KP, but when nothing happens I am quite lost ...)

I hope somebody has a clue for me ;)

post-389035-1310037449_thumb.jpg

i tried this guide last night, and maybe i'm an idiot, but i think something is missing. it wasn't working for me.

i can follow everything leading up to this point just fine. restoring the image to a usb key, etc, and everything after this point, ie, installing the boot loader and installing the other thing.

but this?????

After the restoration, open the restored partition, navigate to System/Installation, delete the Packages link and create a folder with the same name, Packages.

Open Terminal and run the command:
CODE
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages

Copy the files to the Packages folder created previously.

what files am i supposed to copy to the packages folder!?!?