Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Hi Andy,

First of all thank you for all the hard work you've put into this guide. I've read through all of it and it seems that you have managed to give a working Asus motherboard based solution for the i7. At the moment I'm running a stable :

• Q9550 @ 3.8GHz (on air)
  • Asus Maximus II Formula
  • 8GB GSkill PC2 8800 Pi
  • Nvidia GTX260 896MB

My one bottleneck at the moment is the availability of RAM. There doesn't seem to be too many DDR2 16GB kits and the ones that are available are not running at a high enough clock speed to keep my overclock stable. I have been looking at Maximus IV Extreme as the basis of a new build, I was hoping for your advice as to which direction I should go to build a 4-5GHz i7-2600K machine as the DDR3 16GB kits seem to be easily available. Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated before I invest in hardware.

Thank you in advance

HarshaDS

Sorry mate I really can't help you even though I wish I could.

I can only speak about systems I have experience with and wouldn't want to say anything that would lead you to a duff purchase. From my own experience my P8P67 Pro with an i5 2500k runs 24/7 at 4.8ghz and spends most of its time in windows 7. I use a Corsair H50 cooler to keep the temps in line which is not the best but is silent which is nice lol.

Hi Andy,

I was just wondering about your temps. with the i5 at 4.8GHz, are they manageable on good air or was the H50 something you thought was necessary..?

HarshaDS

I already had the H50 from my previous build - my temps are manageable but not great due to the machine being under a desk with poor ventilation in a hot room!

I suspect a decent top end air cooler will outperform the H50 anyway.

Hi Andy,

I really held back as long as I could but I NEED to confirm this with you. I've been reading your replies on the tonymacx86 forums but I'm still slightly unsure of the answer. As the Asus boards are running a UEFI bios would I be correct in assuming that the bios overclock would be applicable in the OSX boot..? The assumption being that the UEFI overclock is running before any boot-loader for the OS initiates. I ask because as I have found out too many time "assumption is the mother of all f***-ups...!". Sorry to bother you with such stupidity.

Hi ^Andy^, I'm proudly user of SL 10.6.8 on my P8P67 Pro B3 3.0 version + i5-2500K. ¡¡ Lot of Thanks !!

My girlfriend just gift me the Magic Trackpad, and I'm having some issues to make it work.

I think that is recognized as a Mighty Mouse, and i cant use any multi-gesture, even two fingers scroll, or 1 touck to click, 2 fingers touch to alt-click...

Anyone is having same issues with MagicTrackpad or MagicMouse via integrated Bluetooth ???

Is there any solution to make it work right?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Hey Andy..

Another problem presents itself.. as I prepare to make the upgrade to Lion, I cannot login to the app store. I am running 10.6.7 and cannot login. I get presented with a message "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

I have looked on forums on the internet and followed instructions for a fix however they do not work for me for some reason.

For example, they ask to go to library/preferences/system preferences, however.. I do not have a system preferences folder. am asked to delete files that I simply do not have so I cannot seem to fix this issue.

Have you any knowledge on the problem or could you assist? :D

Thanks a bunch!

(oh p.s. the file Im looking for isnt hidden either. I have run the showallfiles script and double checked)

Hey Andy & fellow hack builders,

Quick question.. Everything seems to be running on and fine after a few days of messing around with kext's.. I only have 2 issues. My MSI 5770 shows up strange in About this mac / more info / Graphics - (ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series). On previous builds using 5770 it showed up as an exact model. Does this mean it's still not working correctly?

Also.. I have searched the forums for help with sleep with my setup and can't seem to find anything that can help my system sleep and not kp i.e. stay as a black screen when trying to wake.

My build:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 - Firmware 1702

MSI R5770 PMDIG

16gb Patriot DDR3 1333 Sector 5 memory (4x4GB)

Kingston Hyper x 240gb ssd

Seagate 2tb 2700rpm

Seasonic X Series 760w

Quick Review of install process:

Andy Boot 5

SL 10.6.3 install (Retail)

Andy Boot 5 to boot Mac HD

Skip reg process and Create a user account

Remove hd and install 10.6.8 combo update on Mac HD with another mac.

Replace hd and boot with andy boot 5

Install andy boot 5 P8p67 Pro package

edit boot plist - change - GraphicsEnabler= Yes

Remove audio kext's from s/l/e

Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install audio 889 and rollback

BOOT PLIST:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

About this mac - more info - Graphics

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

SAMSUNG:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

What do you think?

Hi ^Andy^, I'm proudly user of SL 10.6.8 on my P8P67 Pro B3 3.0 version + i5-2500K. ¡¡ Lot of Thanks !!

My girlfriend just gift me the Magic Trackpad, and I'm having some issues to make it work.

I think that is recognized as a Mighty Mouse, and i cant use any multi-gesture, even two fingers scroll, or 1 touck to click, 2 fingers touch to alt-click...

Anyone is having same issues with MagicTrackpad or MagicMouse via integrated Bluetooth ???

Is there any solution to make it work right?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Magic Trackpad doesn't work, sorry :(

You have to buy a compatible dongle, e.g. Rocketfish Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter (RF-MRBTAD)

See this thread for more details:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18410

Will your bootloader work for lion osx or will I have to use the lion [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] from tonymac?

same question here!

OK ... REAL newbie here..

Used your CD to install . . . went fine and can boot into leopard. BUT . .

No sound and no ethernet.

Asus p8H67-M Pro

Used NVidia Video card 768mb (will get model # later)(no issues . i believe)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a point in the right direction is good

Thanks in advance!

OK ... REAL newbie here..

Used your CD to install . . . went fine and can boot into leopard. BUT . .

No sound and no ethernet.

Asus p8H67-M Pro

Used NVidia Video card 768mb (will get model # later)(no issues . i believe)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a point in the right direction is good

Thanks in advance!

You wont have sound or ethernet because your board uses different devices to the p8p67 pro - you will need to search the forums for your answers

You wont have sound or ethernet because your board uses different devices to the p8p67 pro - you will need to search the forums for your answers

What in general do I search for.. the MB model? The Chipset? Just trying to narrow things down.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome Tool Andy, everything works fine except I can't figure out how to get my video card to work. I have a EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 if you or anyone can help me out? I have searched all over but still no luck getting anything to work.

Specs:

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.1 Mobo

Intel i5 2500k CPU

4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Memory (I have another 4GB stick I will put it to make sure it works later).

What in general do I search for.. the MB model? The Chipset? Just trying to narrow things down.

Thanks

You need to find out which audio device your mobo uses. If you are having trouble finding out then go on the manufacturers website. For instance my board uses this: Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC.

The important thing to look at is the ALC 892. Once you find out which model your motherboard uses then just simply type that in the search bar and that will guide you to what you are looking for. Once you find the proper kext you will have to inject it, which is pretty easy there are tools that will do it for you like this one: Kext Wizard

Hope this helps!

Danny

hi andy I hope everything is going well ... I bought an asus motherboard p8p67 m pro with XFX ATI 6870 video card processor i5 2400 16 GB of ram corsair vengeance low profile and 2 disks WD Caviar Green 2 TB sataIII ... able to install 10.6.7 with your method but the video card does not work, I tell you this, why not let me use the resolution 1920 x 1080 which is my monitor I have. apart this afternoon I managed to install the LION with the method of tonymac and there they gave me the resolution of 1920 x 1080 perp lion I can not use since I use an audio editor called PRO TOOLS 9 which is not at all compatible with LION. I appreciate the great support you are giving in several communities with your method and expect an answer to my problem ... Health and great fortune to you!!

hi andy I hope everything is going well ... I bought an asus motherboard p8p67 m pro with XFX ATI 6870 video card processor i5 2400 16 GB of ram corsair vengeance low profile and 2 disks WD Caviar Green 2 TB sataIII ... able to install 10.6.7 with your method but the video card does not work, I tell you this, why not let me use the resolution 1920 x 1080 which is my monitor I have. apart this afternoon I managed to install the LION with the method of tonymac and there they gave me the resolution of 1920 x 1080 perp lion I can not use since I use an audio editor called PRO TOOLS 9 which is not at all compatible with LION. I appreciate the great support you are giving in several communities with your method and expect an answer to my problem ... Health and great fortune to you!!

The 6870 should work fine with 10.6.8 - if you absolutely have to use 10.6.7 then you will need to install a driver package that I put together some time back to install the newer mbp ati drivers http://www.mediafire.com/?r52bv1otbovc9ci

For best results you should also use a recent version of chameleon with graphicsenabler set to yes

I have same Mobo. You can download RTL8111 from Realtek, they have the deiver for Mac works fine. The CD5 Pro package works for VGA +sound on mine but I have not had chance to test HDMI. Any solution for sleep? Actually I need the solution on wake it up cause I am using KVM between Window and Mac. Any help or I miss the thread?

The 6870 should work fine with 10.6.8 - if you absolutely have to use 10.6.7 then you will need to install a driver package that I put together some time back to install the newer mbp ati drivers http://www.mediafire.com/?r52bv1otbovc9ci

For best results you should also use a recent version of chameleon with graphicsenabler set to yes

thanks for your quick response ... now reinstalled everything from 0 ... and upgrade to 10.6.8 but not still appears to 1920x1080 resolution on the about this mac does not come out like a 6xxx ATI but something like NI40 and now that I did not tell me yes if you set the Enables graphics part of going to notice and use the andybootcd 5 I think it has the latest version of Chameleon or No?