ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

another iDeneb 10.5.5 try here with audiophile 2496. kext loads just fine, and I can choose it as an audio output/input in audio midi setup. As soon as any audio tries to play- I get a hard lock. No kernel panic screen, just instant lock.

My machine has 4GB of ram if any testing is needed.

It seems that the physical memory address of the out- and input buffer is beyond 256 MB, which the (old) Envy24 chip can't handle. Actually, this doesn't happen for me, but 'music producer' tested it for me and we found out it happens on his system.

This means that I have to find out if OSX can be forced to allocate memory in the first 256 MB of memory space.

Good News! We found the bug(if you can call it that) Took out 3 stick's and left 1GB in my system. booted up and I have sound working perfectly. never thought it would be a issue with having too much ram.

look forward to your solution.

M-Audio 2496 doesn't work

Hi guys

so I just tested the driver with my M-Audio 2496 and get the following "error"

is it maybe because there are too many other sound drivers installed which leads to a conflict ?

honestly I installed many differend sound drivers at the time I installed the Kalyway, just in hope that one of them works. And they do. One of the drivers make my mainboard audio card work, but my proper card is the m-audio.

So I would like to use it.

When I click at the systemsettings onto sound, there's kinda freezing screen with the all known message Please Reboote your system...

-> so I deinstalled the driver.

can you help me?

my osx is Kalyway 10.5.2 with original Vanilla Kernel 9.4

system is listed at the bottom

greets

Ok, version 0.6.0 is up. This should fix the freezes. If the driver fails to find memory below the 256 MB of physical address space, it will exit gracefully, so your system won't freeze (well, in theory!). Let me know if this works!

You can check the system log if it 'Allocated with limit' or 'Failed to allocate with limit'.

yeah

very nice!

Output tested and works!

BUT I can't use mac osx volume control! Neither he F10 F11 F12 nor the volumen control on the top of the screen beside the clock

Can you fix this? this is very import

Input signal tested and doesn't work. I get no nignal

Greets Chris

yeah

very nice!

Output tested and works!

BUT I can't use mac osx volume control! Neither he F10 F11 F12 nor the volumen control on the top of the screen beside the clock

Can you fix this? this is very import

Input signal tested and doesn't work. I get no signal

Greets Chris

Same here, and I've tested all inputs, and none works! I've tested it in Amplitube with one of my basses!

No input or input meters/ slide bars.!

Thank you for you work and effort. I appreciate that!

:smoke:

For the 1010 (not LT) users:

The DAC in the 1010 has no volume control and the ADC has no gain control. So basically, there is nothing to control there. What is possible though, is to switch outputs 1-2 and/or the S/PDIF out to a hardware mixing mode. In this mode, the Envy24 acts as a digital 36-bit mixer, where you can listen to a mix of all inputs and outputs on output 1-2. What is NOT possible, is to control the volume of outputs 3-4,5-6,7-8 in hardware. I also checked this in the manual of the 1010.

So, what is it that you want to control exaclty? Do you guys need this hardware mixing mode?

I assume that in multi-track usage, you would have volume control for all the outputs as busses anyway in your DAW.

Concerning the volume control, from what i understand, as i remember from older PPC-installations i had with the 2496, the driver software also installed an app that gives you a mixer/console dedicated to the specific card, not just a generic/default volume control thing.

Say, would taking that (Rosetta-format) application as a copy and take it to the x86 version give control to volume in any way?

Just a thought..

Concerning the volume control, from what i understand, as i remember from older PPC-installations i had with the 2496, the driver software also installed an app that gives you a mixer/console dedicated to the specific card, not just a generic/default volume control thing.

Say, would taking that (Rosetta-format) application as a copy and take it to the x86 version give control to volume in any way?

Just a thought..

Well, for me, the M-Audio control panel didn't work since it complains about wrong architecture.

Anyway, for all other cards I can make controls for the DAC's and ADC's that do have volume and gain control.

For the 1010 (not LT) users:

The DAC in the 1010 has no volume control and the ADC has no gain control. So basically, there is nothing to control there. What is possible though, is to switch outputs 1-2 and/or the S/PDIF out to a hardware mixing mode. In this mode, the Envy24 acts as a digital 36-bit mixer, where you can listen to a mix of all inputs and outputs on output 1-2. What is NOT possible, is to control the volume of outputs 3-4,5-6,7-8 in hardware. I also checked this in the manual of the 1010.

So, what is it that you want to control exaclty? Do you guys need this hardware mixing mode?

I assume that in multi-track usage, you would have volume control for all the outputs as buses anyway in your DAW.

Ok so: the volume control that it's normal to control the output is only for th 1 and 2 output, because these 2 are the main outputs. You can also ad volume out control to spdif. the other ones are only to send/returns so they don't need, these ones we control in the DAW. I think this is what you wrote and it is correct.

But concerning the inputs, it would be wonderful that you could set gain controls for each one.... 1 to 8....

:):D

Thanks

I try to explain quickly.

On Windows I have had an M-Audio 2496 Software Mixer, where I could control the Master output, the spdiff output and the other one- don't know the name.

I would wish to control the Master output also with my F10 F11 and F12 Keys, like I do with my onboard soundcard.

Greest Chris

Well, for me, the M-Audio control panel didn't work since it complains about wrong architecture.

Anyway, for all other cards I can make controls for the DAC's and ADC's that do have volume and gain control.

Could it be you got a version of the OS that's "crippled"? (no Rosetta)