ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

Heh, re-installing again. The thing decided not to boot anymore (even after waiting for a long period which seems to be required sometimes), even in -x mode.

After that I'll give the 1010 a go.

Ok so good reinstalling... eheh

good luck

I installed ver 1 of the beta driver for the 1010lt on kalyway 10.5.2.

When i try to boot into either normal boot. or the -x boot i get a greyish/black dialog in the middle of the screen stating i have to restart the machine. and to do so by holding down power.

which build are you using this driver on. i would love to get my delta 1010lt working in osx.

also is there a chance on saving my install? if not no big deal. i can just install it again. but would'nt be any benefit if this driver doesnt work on 10.5.2 kalyway.

mabey there is some required packages in order for this driver to work? i dunno? Just letting you know what happened for me. mabey there is something to it.

I installed ver 1 of the beta driver for the 1010lt on kalyway 10.5.2.

When i try to boot into either normal boot. or the -x boot i get a greyish/black dialog in the middle of the screen stating i have to restart the machine. and to do so by holding down power.

which build are you using this driver on. i would love to get my delta 1010lt working in osx.

also is there a chance on saving my install? if not no big deal. i can just install it again. but would'nt be any benefit if this driver doesnt work on 10.5.2 kalyway.

mabey there is some required packages in order for this driver to work? i dunno? Just letting you know what happened for me. mabey there is something to it.

I'm terribly sorry if I caused havoc on your machine. Perhaps that's what I was experiencing too. I had to do a re-install yesterday. What is strange, is that with -x it shouldn't load the driver at all. I am using kalyway 10.5.2 as well.

About saving your install: it sometimes works to just install over your current installation so you don't loose everything. I did a fresh install after erasing my system partition yesterday though.

OK, so i did a reinstall. then tried the 2.0 driver with the same results. "BUT" no probs rebooting with the -x flag.

Is there anything/anywhere I could get information that could "possibly" help you diagnose what's going on here?

Yes, first I'd like to know what happened exactly. So, you installed the driver and I assume it said 'Driver installed successfully' or something, right? Then it asked for a reboot, but it doesn't boot anymore without the -x flag, am I right?

So, if you still can boot with the -x flag, we can try to manually load the Envy24 driver, make sure the debug output is not delayed and see what shows up in the system log. But I don't know those commands by heart, so I'll post the required actions tonight.

And first I will have a look at the code to see if something odd is happening for the 1010LT.

Found more out.

I booted into -x. Went to the sound control and disabled sounds. It will now can boot fine into the normal startup mode. I think what's happening is, when the system was trying to play a sound, ( in the normal startup) that's when the restart box would pop up. Now that i am in normal mode, with osx sounds disabled, there is no prob. but when i try to go to the sound control in system prefs. the same restart box pops up.

I'll pm u my msn as to not clog this thread. mabey we can find some info out that might help other 1010lt users.

OK, so i did a reinstall. then tried the 2.0 driver with the same results. "BUT" no probs rebooting with the -x flag.

Is there anything/anywhere I could get information that could "possibly" help you diagnose what's going on here?

Could it be a mainboard problem? I have the same on a machine with Asus PB5-Plus (P965 / ICH8). On Asus Boards with 945 / ICH7 there are no problems.

Ok, Envy24 version 0.3.0 is available at the usual place.

Changes:

Version 0.3.0 might fix the crash when using a 1010LT.

The subvendor ID for the Delta 1010 is also enabled, but may or may not work, cross your fingers for this one!

Really, I didn't find any documentation about the 1010 nor is there source code in alsa or freebsd that points to something 1010-specific. The ADC that is used has no registers at all, so recording might just work. The DAC has registers, but can also be controlled via pins directly, so that might just be the trick that they did. Really, cross those fingers again and let me know if the 1010LT and/or the 1010 work!

If these work, next in line would be the Audiophile 192.

The M-Audio Delta 1010 card is recognized as Envy24 with all its channels but it doesn't work:

-The volume is fixed, I can't change the volume.

-When I select the input ... system freezes.

-The programs of audio and video recognize the card but when I play audio or video with audio ... system freezes.

I hope that solutions bugs.

Anyway good job.

By the way audiodriverwriter i'm using iDeneb 1.3(10.5.5) do you think that will be a problem?

It shouldn't be a problem, no. Even 10.4 shouldn't be a problem since it is compiled with 10.4 compatibility, but there is only one way to find out and that is to try I guess.

The Good News - Sound (Kinda) for the first time in OSX with the delta1010lt. - (but the sound is a loud hissing/clicking noise)

bad news is it still locks up right away. The load hissing/clicking keeps repeating until i hold power in and reboot.

Odd. I'll have another look tonight, but can't think of anything right now that needs to change for specific models after the codecs have been initialized.

The M-Audio Delta 1010 card is recognized as Envy24 with all its channels but it doesn't work:

-The volume is fixed, I can't change the volume.

-When I select the input ... system freezes.

-The programs of audio and video recognize the card but when I play audio or video with audio ... system freezes.

I hope that solutions bugs.

Anyway good job.

Volume is not implemented for any card, right now.

Where do you select the input by the way?

Like the 1010LT, I'll look tonight if I can see something suspicious in the code. Thanks for testing!

I select the input through the system's audio panel.

I don't know if it was important but I have iDeneb 10.5.5 an capture card for video-audio AJA Kona.

Thanks for you repply.

Ah. I'll try to buy a 1010 on eBay if it's not too expensive (so I can sell it again without loss after everything is working) if we don't get it to work soon. Debugging without the hardware is really hard. But we'll get there!

Ah. I'll try to buy a 1010 on eBay if it's not too expensive (so I can sell it again without loss after everything is working) if we don't get it to work soon. Debugging without the hardware is really hard. But we'll get there!

Well it´s not cheap, but is there anything that you need to know for the 1010. I might help you with that. Sorry i didn't tested yet, working, with other machine to get rid of a job.... i can tell you the references of de DAC and ADC if you need.

Thanks, and keep with the good work :blink:

Audiodriverwriter, is there any chance that you could "convert" the drivers from M-Audio site for G5 into Intel/Mac? Is it possible?

That way we would have the control panel from M-audio...

Do you think thats possible?

Well it´s not cheap, but is there anything that you need to know for the 1010. I might help you with that. Sorry i didn't tested yet, working, with other machine to get rid of a job.... i can tell you the references of de DAC and ADC if you need.

Thanks, and keep with the good work :blink:

Audiodriverwriter, is there any chance that you could "convert" the drivers from M-Audio site for G5 into Intel/Mac? Is it possible?

That way we would have the control panel from M-audio...

Do you think thats possible?

I have the docs for the ADC and DAC. The ADC has no registers at all, so it doesn't need to be set up. The DAC has 2 or 3 registers, but they are set up by putting current on a couple of pins. I see no code at all in alsa or bsd to set up the codecs, so that matches my interpretation of the docs. So, what's left is ehm... little, since there is only S/PDIF setup code in alsa, but I don't think that not setting up that digital in can cause analogue to go wrong. Unless it takes the master clock from that chip, hmm...

One can not convert drivers from one processor type to another. That's why I wrote a fresh new driver. If I install the control panel from M-Audio it complains about wrong processor type, so that's not gonna work.