ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

Hmm.. i have/had a msi neo4 platinum with nforce4 ultra and ethernet just worked with the 'forcedeth' selection at installation. I didn't need to unplug psu. I am seeing some 2nd hand asus mb's (a8n sli deluxe and a8n-e) which I might buy one of.

if you don't need SLI or additional pci-e for sata/sas controllers - a8n-e is a good choice

as for nforce lan - forcedeth must work with it (if not - unplug powercable ;))

but a8n-e and a8n-sli have noisy and not perfect chipset cooler, so you may need to replace it.

Hmm.. i have/had a msi neo4 platinum with nforce4 ultra and ethernet just worked with the 'forcedeth' selection at installation. I didn't need to unplug psu. I am seeing some 2nd hand asus mb's (a8n sli deluxe and a8n-e) which I might buy one of.

I think the A8N SLI DELUXE is better. Maybe it will run.

I've tried the GA-K8N51. It's all working fine under OSX Server Leopard. :)

But if you have successful bios upgrade, I guess you'll only need to clear the CMOS. :)

Ok, ended up buying a A8N-VM CSM since the others were already sold. It also has onboard graphics which I needed to fiddle with a bit, and I needed to flash my 7950 gt's rom back to the original firmware before it started behaving normal again. Managed to boot into OSX with hw acceleration. But now after I reboot I get a blue screen after a while (normal at starting up), but then a black screen with movable mouse cursor. Hmm.. before this, I had it connected with a DVI-to-VGA adapter to another monitor and now with DVI directly. Perhaps I should try with VGA again. At least my Windows XP works again on that machine.

Need to do some other stuff now unfortunately, hopefully more progress on Monday. Thanks for all the help! :huh:

Ok, ended up buying a A8N-VM CSM since the others were already sold. It also has onboard graphics which I needed to fiddle with a bit, and I needed to flash my 7950 gt's rom back to the original firmware before it started behaving normal again. Managed to boot into OSX with hw acceleration. But now after I reboot I get a blue screen after a while (normal at starting up), but then a black screen with movable mouse cursor. Hmm.. before this, I had it connected with a DVI-to-VGA adapter to another monitor and now with DVI directly. Perhaps I should try with VGA again. At least my Windows XP works again on that machine.

Need to do some other stuff now unfortunately, hopefully more progress on Monday. Thanks for all the help! :lol:

Well those are good news! :huh: So have a nice weekend. Rest of....

Didn't try nvdarwin yet, but so far it works with vga in 1280x1024 with hardware acceleration. Funny thing is that it still feels very slow, slower than with my previous motherboard. Oh well, at least I can continue my work on the driver.

What does not work is ethernet. I can't ping to my router at 192.168.1.1. My local IP is set manually to 192.168.1.5. It seems that "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> Network shows the ethernet port en0 with a mac address and full duplex 100baseTX, so it sees the network chip, but that's it.

Didn't try nvdarwin yet, but so far it works with vga in 1280x1024 with hardware acceleration. Funny thing is that it still feels very slow, slower than with my previous motherboard. Oh well, at least I can continue my work on the driver.

What does not work is ethernet. I can't ping to my router at 192.168.1.1. My local IP is set manually to 192.168.1.5. It seems that "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> Network shows the ethernet port en0 with a mac address and full duplex 100baseTX, so it sees the network chip, but that's it.

Check your router for MAC ADDRESS FILTERING :whistle: Or just try to assign a new IP (192.168.1.100) :(

Heh, well, the Asus board is problematic. At least on OSX it's incredibly slow. You type in a few characters in a terminal and they slowly appear. Working in XCode is a disaster. IIRC, the kernel task is busy all the time. I have tried to re-install OSX, but to no avail. So, I'm trying to buy one of 3 MSI Neo4-F boards that have appeared 2nd hand so I'll have a real replacement of my old board. Until that time, I can't work on the drivers unfortunately. :angel:

Heh, well, the Asus board is problematic. At least on OSX it's incredibly slow. You type in a few characters in a terminal and they slowly appear. Working in XCode is a disaster. IIRC, the kernel task is busy all the time. I have tried to re-install OSX, but to no avail. So, I'm trying to buy one of 3 MSI Neo4-F boards that have appeared 2nd hand so I'll have a real replacement of my old board. Until that time, I can't work on the drivers unfortunately. :D

I think you have problems with the nForce chipset driver. Try to chose another one when installing the OSX. It may works better...

Nah, I'm buying a neo4-f board again, hopefully I can pick it up tonight. It's a lot of work but network wasn't working either on the asus. I tried installing with different options last evening, but even the install was very slow. It came a bit further than after the previous install attempt before that, but it hangs at some point. I've had enough of this board.

Nah, I'm buying a neo4-f board again, hopefully I can pick it up tonight. It's a lot of work but network wasn't working either on the asus. I tried installing with different options last evening, but even the install was very slow. It came a bit further than after the previous install attempt before that, but it hangs at some point. I've had enough of this board.

Maybe it's the best decision! :(

Asus wasn't a good choice! :)

Nice to see that someone is working on a driver for Envy 24. :)

I'm a hoontech dsp24+adcdac2000 owner and will be happy to test if needed.

Btw, did you take a look at the ice1712 module of the alsa driver for linux? Maybe it can be usefull (or not?).

Lol! The Phase28 has an Envy24HT, not an Envy24, so it's already supported by my existing Envy24HT driver! Look here.

Awesome ..thats pure Gold diggin up..i have to immideately Rip that Card out of my old Mac G4 dual..and check that out ..if that works a Donation is guaranteed!