ESI Juli@ / Envy 24 with OSX86 - Any progress?

zuus

982 posts in this topic

How to install the driver again?

I´ve enabled the onboard sound, have AppleAzaliaAudio loaded (in the Extra/Extensions folder of my DFE132 install). So afterwards i disable onboard sound in BIOS and remove Azalia kext, i install for example the 0.7.0 or 0.9.0 kext for my Audiophile 2496. Now sound doesn`t work, and YouTube or any other Videos run only 2 sec and stop playing.

So how can i perform a clean install? I know it worked a few weeks ago on a clean retail install with no onboard sound and only your great 2496 kext`s. Thanks for help ;)

Tried a couple of different methods to install the driver manually now but it always ends up here;

Last login: Wed Dec 31 16:09:34 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
c83-253-188-44:~ Apple$ sudo -s
Password:
c83-253-188-44:~ root# cd /System/Library/Extensions/
c83-253-188-44:/System/Library/Extensions root# chown -R root:wheel Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext
c83-253-188-44:/System/Library/Extensions root# kextload Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext
23com_Envy24HTAudioEngine is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOAudioEngine superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext
load failed for extension Envy24HTPCIAudioDriver.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)
c83-253-188-44:/System/Library/Extensions root#

Any ideas anyone? Seems to be a common problem but haven't found any solution other than something about compatibility issues in the kernel version...

???

Update; Now I found; "...download the source code and recompile it with xcode. This fixes the "not compatible with its superclass" error because the the kext is now compiled for your system (the superclass). This works most of the time I found when ever those devious little .kext's are incompatible with their superclasses. Please tell me what works for who." Source

audiodriverwriter, a case for you???

audiodriverwriter, would you please think about to include onkyo se-200 to the supporting list? I really hope that one day I could listen some music in my leopard :(

Wow, so many questions from so many people!

First of all, Happy New Year!

I have to ease down on computer usage a bit due to health problems (don't worry, it will be ok), so I won't be able to fix all of your problems soon. But I'll try replying to some of your questions now.

Onkyo: perhaps, but since it's a rarely used card, not any time soon.

Ok, I downloaded the latest driver (0.4) from your page, installed it using the installer, verified/repaired permissons via Disk Utility - rebooted the system but no sound...nothing comes up under Sound nor Audio/Midi setup...

I'm using ESI Juli@ under Mac OS X 10.4.8,

something I have missed during install?

My driver doesn't seem to work on 10.4, even though I select 10.4 compatibility in xcode. Thanks for your pointer though later on, I'll check it out.

@audidriverwriter

I've some issues with a delta 44 (envy24) sometimes the driver fail to load. Mac os 10.5.6 vanilla.

here is what the log says:

ol

27/12/08 15:35:16 kernel Failed to allocate with limit!

27/12/08 15:35:16 kernel Couldn't allocate memory for output buffer!

27/12/08 15:35:16 kernel Something failed in the engine!

I don't know what's causing this. May be you ??

thanks again for all your work

Yes, the Envy24 is an old chip and can only address the first 256MB of physical address space. The driver requests memory in this address space and if it isn't available, it fails to load. Please find out if there is a way in OSX to put driver loading of this kext first so that no memory is taken at the point the driver loads (I hope you understand what I mean).

If someone have any clue on how should I procede to solve this problem is very appreciated.

Question: Should the audio card work by just install the "Envy24.0.11.0.dmg" or it is normal the it work after adding the Juli@ drivers too?

Thanks in advance.[/font]

The Juli@ uses the Envy24HT, not the Envy24, please do not install the Envy24 driver.

First of all.. audiodriverwriter I hope you get healthy soon and I give you my best wishes along with an Happy New Year.

The Juli@ uses the Envy24HT, not the Envy24, please do not install the Envy24 driver.

Just a simple clarification here... I have an Audiophile 2496... did you mean "do not install Envy24HT drivers"? Maybe I got you confused by mention the installation of Juli@ drivers. Or I missed something? (most likely) :whistle:

About the allocation memory problem (that I also have), I will try to see if I can find a way (with my limited knowledge of OSX) to load the drivers so they can get those first 256MB of physical address. I'll post the solution here if I find one.

Thanks and Regards

Hey audiodriverwirter !

I haven't been there for a while, but I just post this message to tell happy new year to all, and also to thank you again. Since the juli@ driver is out, I'm spending more time on osx, trying to learn this new system :D

Again, thanks and happy new year !

Confirmation (almost). I've installed Juli@ driver. It seems to work OK for now. Tested in Logic and in the whole system.

I've decided to switch the system back to ALC buit-in. Just for the user friendly stuff like volume controls - anyway I needed juli@ only in Logic and alike.

So! it seems to work OK.

Audiodriverwriter: i've asked you about donation (i'm too tired to re-type, can you please check a previous page?). I'm willing to, really.

one more ? though. What about Juli@ control panel or alike? I've tried to switch Logic to 96 kHz (it didn't give a choice for bit depth - I'd prefer more than 16 bit sound). Logic worked OK with audio tracks, but midi failed to synchronize. I'm not sure if the same will apply to a new project (I've opened previous one). Anyway, how do I switch to say 20 or 24 bit sound? I'll test new projects with that, but what to do with older ones?

Thanx in advance and Happy new year to everybody anyway!!!:)

(Audiodriverwriter: i owe you a lot already!)

If this works, I'm willing to donate too (and some more than 5 bucks - I really appreciate the effort and possibility to use Juli@ in Mac OS), but the same problem mentioned above: russia, paypal... What is that direct bank transfer? Kind of "i want this money to be transferred to account X" or what? I'd be really pleased to donate even if ... well, I hope Juli@ works...

Thanx, biggest thanx for that! You're the man!

Thanks! :-)

If you have the possibility for international bank transfer using an IBAN code, I can give you my bank details. Otherwise I see no possibility.

I've decided to switch the system back to ALC buit-in. Just for the user friendly stuff like volume controls - anyway I needed juli@ only in Logic and alike.

one more ? though. What about Juli@ control panel or alike? I've tried to switch Logic to 96 kHz (it didn't give a choice for bit depth - I'd prefer more than 16 bit sound). Logic worked OK with audio tracks, but midi failed to synchronize. I'm not sure if the same will apply to a new project (I've opened previous one). Anyway, how do I switch to say 20 or 24 bit sound? I'll test new projects with that, but what to do with older ones?

Thanx in advance and Happy new year to everybody anyway!!!:P

(Audiodriverwriter: i owe you a lot already!)

Unless you've downloaded an older Envy24HT driver, it should have volume controls in Audio/MIDI setup.

The driver is 24-bit (converting from floating point to 24-bit) only. You can't switch, you'll always have the best quality. If something says 16-bit, it's the application itself that is converting floating point to 16-bit.

Just a simple clarification here... I have an Audiophile 2496... did you mean "do not install Envy24HT drivers"? Maybe I got you confused by mention the installation of Juli@ drivers. Or I missed something? (most likely) :(

No, I meant, don't install Envy24 drivers if you have an Envy24HT. :dev:

@audiodriverwriter

well after many tries, I still can't use the driver because of the memory buffer allocation error on envy24. Are you able to fix it or is there no possibility at all ??

thanks

My poor solution, at least for now was to delete all the ATIRadeon****.kext files (I have an nvidia card)in the /system/library/extensions folder... my stupid Idea is to remove as many useless drivers as possible to prevent them to load before the envy driver get a "good" allocation....not expert enought on OSX yet :D

Hope it works for you too...

I bet that at the first restart my drivers won't work again... (I cross my fingers each restart) :)

humm, it's not a solution since each new kext you add can potentially break your audio support. The card is working great on others systems, there is no reason why this could not be achievable on osx. The driver definitely need some tweaks because it's not working properly. I just hope audiodriverwiter is listening, because only him have the possibility to fix it.

humm, it's not a solution since each new kext you add can potentially break your audio support. The card is working great on others systems, there is no reason why this could not be achievable on osx. The driver definitely need some tweaks because it's not working properly. I just hope audiodriverwiter is listening, because only him have the possibility to fix it.

I am listening but I can not fix it with my limited knowledge of OSX. The driver needs memory in a certain address space and you can't change that. If the OS doesn't have memory available in that space, I don't see what I can do about it.

How much memory do you have in your system?

I am listening but I can not fix it with my limited knowledge of OSX. The driver needs memory in a certain address space and you can't change that. If the OS doesn't have memory available in that space, I don't see what I can do about it.

How much memory do you have in your system?

Hi

greetings and happy new year to you !

I got 2gb of memory. Is it possible to allocate less memory ? if so, an entry in the plist could be read and ajusted for peoples having this problem. Just a thought :)

Hey AudioDriverWriter,

I have an ESI Maya 44 MK3 with the Envy 24HT-S chip. Would it be much work to get this going? I would be willing to donate up to 40 Euros (or give me a price if this is not reasonable) to get this card working properly - 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

I'm happy to work with you on this although my knowledge is slim to none with respect to coding!!! lol

Cheers fella and happy new year!

Andy

Hi

greetings and happy new year to you !

I got 2gb of memory. Is it possible to allocate less memory ? if so, an entry in the plist could be read and ajusted for peoples having this problem. Just a thought ;)

Hmm.. very good idea. Although you might run into other problems if there is a smaller buffer, it's worth the try. Since I don't know how to handle plist's, I'll just change the buffer size and see if it helps you. Can't tell you when I'll release a new driver exactly though, but this shouldn't take much time to change. Thanks for thinking with me for a solution! :-)

Hey AudioDriverWriter,

I have an ESI Maya 44 MK3 with the Envy 24HT-S chip. Would it be much work to get this going? I would be willing to donate up to 40 Euros (or give me a price if this is not reasonable) to get this card working properly - 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

I'm happy to work with you on this although my knowledge is slim to none with respect to coding!!! lol

Cheers fella and happy new year!

Andy

For 40 euro I can certainly give it a try. No need for upfront money.

Great work audiodriverwriter! The driver works with my delta1010 but I have observed an issue with system sleep. If you use the driver, then sleep the system, then wake the system, there is a kernel panic when you try to use the driver again. Could it be that you are leaving something open that should be closed when the system sleeps??

Again, congrats on your work. I would be very happy to switch over to my delta rather than using my motu 828, not only does it sound better but the latency with your driver is the lowest I have ever seen (works great in logic at 32 samples buffer size.. even benchmarks just as well as when set at 1024!!)

Great work audiodriverwriter! The driver works with my delta1010 but I have observed an issue with system sleep. If you use the driver, then sleep the system, then wake the system, there is a kernel panic when you try to use the driver again. Could it be that you are leaving something open that should be closed when the system sleeps??

Again, congrats on your work. I would be very happy to switch over to my delta rather than using my motu 828, not only does it sound better but the latency with your driver is the lowest I have ever seen (works great in logic at 32 samples buffer size.. even benchmarks just as well as when set at 1024!!)

Good to hear about that latency! ;)

About the sleep: I just looked up what I can do at power management events and how. I'll try to reproduce and fix it, but it might take a while

Hi there,

big Thanks to you, audiodriverwriter

have a slightly feeling that I maybe know you from another construction place :)

Just tested an M-Audio Delta 2496 (Audiophile, 2 Analog IO, 2 Spdif IO, 1 Midi IO) and it works generally ootb.

Need half of the buffer for low latency with bigger Logic Studio projects (lot of instrument and fx plugins) before clicks and pops appears and the cpu meltdown (compared with USB audio)

envy24 is an old chip (first released 10 years ago), but still very good coreaudio performance. Thank you for saving the pci bus/cards !

A few issues:

-recognized as generic Envy24

-CoreAudio offers 12 I and 10 O (2496 have only physically 4IO)

-no MidiIO

-Format 32bit (Audio Midi Setup) can't be, because this chip offers only 24bit

But thats only cosmetic...

anyway :(

Hi there,

big Thanks to you, audiodriverwriter

have a slightly feeling that I maybe know you from another construction place ;)

Just tested an M-Audio Delta 2496 (Audiophile, 2 Analog IO, 2 Spdif IO, 1 Midi IO) and it works generally ootb.

Need half of the buffer for low latency with bigger Logic Studio projects (lot of instrument and fx plugins) before clicks and pops appears and the cpu meltdown (compared with USB audio)

envy24 is an old chip (first released 10 years ago), but still very good coreaudio performance. Thank you for saving the pci bus/cards !

A few issues:

-recognized as generic Envy24

-CoreAudio offers 12 I and 10 O (2496 have only physically 4IO)

-no MidiIO

-Format 32bit (Audio Midi Setup) can't be, because this chip offers only 24bit

But thats only cosmetic...

anyway :happymac:

Heh, we may have seen eachother somewhere else indeed. :)

"recognized as generic Envy24": you mean in the log or in the audio panel?

"CoreAudio offers 12 I and 10 O": yeah, can't fix that easily, sorry. If I do, it costs performance during playback and recording.

"no MidiIO": nope

"Format 32bit": true. I wasn't sure if I had to start shifting 8 bits around if I choose 24-bit, so I put it at 32-bit, which is what gets sent to the Envy24 anyway (it ignores the bottom 8 bits).

My soundcard is detected, but the envy24ht driver says that this card is not supported :

lspci:

04:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)

04:02.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller [1412:1724] (rev 01)

04:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hercules Device 0001

Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 32

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23

Region 0: I/O ports at ec00

Region 1: I/O ports at e880

Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 1

Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo IV

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hercules,966.html

VIA Vinyl Envy 24HT. Wolfson WM8776 codec and a WM8766 for most of the digital/analog conversion.

The WM8776 has two 24 bit analog/digital conversion channels up to 96 kHz and two digital/analog channels up to 192 kHz. The WM8766 adds six channels with the same characteristics for a total of eight output channels for output in up to 7.1 format.

Can this driver work for me?

Thanks in advance...

For the people who have problems with failing drivers due to 'Failed to allocate with limit', I have uploaded a new Envy24 driver. This version reduces the buffer size from 4096 to 1024. Note that you MUST use buffer sizes of 512 or less, preferably less than 512! This might break some programs in which you can't set the buffer size.

Let me know if this helps.

Link here.

Since my "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" won't load the drivers (again :) ) and I may be able to borrow an "M-Audio Audiophile 192" from a friend so my question is:

Does the "M-Audio Audiophile 192" with the Envy24HT drivers have also the Memory allocation problem like the "M-Audio Audiophile 2496" or will work just fine?

Another question is: USB Audio interfaces and/or PCI Audio cards will work fine with the drivers from the hardware Manufacturer (if existing of course) on iDeneb installations and such?

Sorry if I ask many questions but I'm trying to figure if it is possible to have a stable solution on such OS and don't know where else I can find a good answer.

Thanks

EDIT: Just saw audiodriverwriter post... going to try...

And I forgot a question: to remove the audiodriverwriter drivers I just need to delete de .kext file? Or I must do something else?

For the people who have problems with failing drivers due to 'Failed to allocate with limit', I have uploaded a new Envy24 driver. This version reduces the buffer size from 4096 to 1024. Note that you MUST use buffer sizes of 512 or less, preferably less than 512! This might break some programs in which you can't set the buffer size.

Let me know if this helps.

Link here.

Hi

unfortunately, this new kext doesn't do anything different from previous ones. The same error appear and the driver does not load. Anyway, thanks a lot for trying to make it work, really appreciated.