• Sabayon
    • Slackware Linux
    • Ubuntu
    • Other (which one?)
    • Backtrack Linux
    • Elementary OS

63 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

i think u should consider linux mint too i am using cinnamon edition its very stable compared to other distros.

Pinguy OS is a great distro but i had some problems like freezes and crashes maybe its related to my hardware.

i also tried peppermint linux 3 very light weight yet powerful based on lubuntu cloud centric os..

i like effects :D so wanted to try linux mint ..seems to work good for me :) and thanks to bumblebee project my video card GT525M(with optimus technology) is

detected and works to an extent..i would recommend linux mint for newbies and once u get used to the environment u can freely choose what distro meets your

requirements and your liking :) especially the ones coming from windows platform :) i love gnome based distros..some might like KDE etc :) i m planning to

convert most of my friends to use linux and support open source :)

i think u should consider linux mint too i am using cinnamon edition its very stable compared to other distros.

That is also my favourite distribution (the Debian edition). But I must add that I use OS X at least 95% of the time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i am a long time user of Slackware and Gentoo derivative (Funtoo) 

for my personal use, i like everything to be as close as minimal as possible ( long time fan of DWM too)

they might not be the easiest distros to setup there , but hey i'm a patient man!

oh and i do keep my archlinux box too ( since the AUR is great)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I personally use OpenSUSE because of it's intuitive layout as far as what's needed on a Linux system. Zypper is easy to use from the Terminal and YaST control center is really nice.

I was a big Ubuntu user, then left for a while, when I went back, the Unity desktop seemed to be the big thing. I do not like it at all. If I go back to Ubuntu, it will most likely be 10.04 LTS

You can always use another desktop environment or window manager depending on your preference. I used XFCE for the longest time on Ubuntu when Unity came out.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

debian for me.because it is most stable version of GNU/Linux kernel based Os.support lots of hardware....still free as it should be.The biggest source package repository.....i don`t quite like Ubuntu......because they turn into something like.....Tonymacx86(tonycrabx86)    

Ubuntu for me. recognizes all my hardware without problems,

and without dependence on software.

anxious to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

i tried to use Linux Mint 15, but crashes a lot.

sorry for my english.

Hello

For me the best Linux distribution in terms of usability is Ubuntu ...

I recently test Whonix, it is a Linux distribution that many say is used by hackes anonymous ...

It's really a closed system, works with two layers being divided into Whonix Gateway and Whonix Workstation ...

To learn more, access: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Main_Page

If Interresarem by Whonix, I ask the add it in poll

• 8 months later...

I try ubuntu, then CentOS, now is OpenSuse. I used it for home samba share, compare with the firewall, the opensuse give a great built-in tool and yast is simple to configure, also they have lan nic bonding which help to increase bandwidth. On the CentOS from 6.5 to 7.0 I can't firgure for samba share to work.

That is what i like on linux, all those above I try, I alway used encryption whole drive.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having recently come back to Linux and having tried a few distributions, this time the Ubunt based Mint gets my vote. It has been said that Mint is Ubuntu done right.

I agree. It has 2 nice Gnome based desktop environments. It automagically configured every bit of my hardware. Not even Windows 8 manages to do that. It feels quite stable. I believe that Mint has received more donations than any other distribution in the history of Linux.

• Like 1

I am using Pinguy OS 14.0.4 LTS and LXLE 14.0.4 LTS distros.......both 64bit.......:)

I gave up on 64bit LMDE because of ongoing unresolved issues installing/using Wine...... :wallbash:

• 1 month later...

I got 3 machine running Opensuse 13.2 samba server textmode.

One is very old amd cpu motherboard, hardware got problem or something, it up for 2 days around and it lost network, can't say it reboot or just lost network because no monitor attach to dianosge. So i thin I will replace the old board and cpu to dual core Richland for stable thing.

Anyway this is just update to linux thing, I like opensuse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

KaOS | A lean KDE Distribution

Modern qt & kde, full 64 -bit and full rolling.

Calligra Suite.  (even translated too)

Working nvidia driver be included.

New 2015 versions are too new, qt5

have not enough software yet.  (Situation

get well soon.)

2014-12 version is best.  Mac enthusiasts

can feel it acceptable.

T  -.-

• 2 months later...

Arch my number one :) pref.

I don't think qt5 will be fully integrated for quite some time. Hopefully people don't expect it to be quick because qt5 talk has been going on for donky years.

• 2 months later...

Four and a half years, 89 votes?

This proves once again that people don't care about Linux any longer.

On PCs and Notebooks they use either Windows or OS X.

But people use tablets and phones more than PCs, and we all know which operating systems power tablets and phones: Android and iOS. These are by now mature operating systems. Thus, who needs Linux, with all its arguments and divisions? (See systemd and Debian as an example)