• Sabayon
    • Slackware Linux
    • Ubuntu
    • Other (which one?)
    • Backtrack Linux
    • Elementary OS

63 posts in this topic

Four and a half years, 89 votes?

This proves once again that people don't care about Linux any longer.

On PCs and Notebooks they use either Windows or OS X.

But people use tablets and phones more than PCs, and we all know which operating systems power tablets and phones: Android and iOS. These are by now mature operating systems. Thus, who needs Linux, with all its arguments and divisions? (See systemd and Debian as an example)

I think it proves that people on an osx site do not care much for answering polls on linux (and maybe linux in general). Nothing more.

Linux itself is a tool which is suited to certain tasks, general desktop use not being what it has ever been best at.

Fragmentation in the community caused by the hundreds or maybe thousand (?) distros that exist does nothing to help this situation.

Why anyone would ever use windows server, or osx server for that matter is beyond me. The only reason to use linux as a home desktop is GPL fanaticism.

Its true in general linux has become less interesting over the past years, my interest in it peaked some 10 years ago.

But i do not spend much time loving, or speaking about a hammer, or a screwdriver- they just do their job, and do it well. End of story.

A good operating system stays out of the way of real productivity.

(edit) even i did not answer the poll. Each distro has its plus points, and its weakness.

Its true in general linux has become less interesting over the past years, my interest in it peaked some 10 years ago.

In my case even longer, around 2003. But it was the year of Mandrake 9.1, Libranet 2.8.1, SUSE 9.0... Those were great distributions which made you believe that one day Linux could replace Windows on the desktop. I preferred using SUSE 9.0 to Windows XP.

• Like 1

In my case even longer, around 2003. But it was the year of Mandrake 9.1, Libranet 2.8.1, SUSE 9.0... Those were great distributions which made you believe that one day Linux could replace Windows on the desktop. I preferred using SUSE 9.0 to Windows XP.

I never liked suse despite trying to like it many times. My old favorite back then was kanotix a debian-sid distro based from knoppix. Was a nice community, forked into sidux and then into siduction. These distro still actually exist in some form today, but user base is almost none.

You are right, back then it seemed linux would take over.

• Like 1

I never liked suse despite trying to like it many times. My old favorite back then was kanotix a debian-sid distro based from knoppix. Was a nice community, forked into sidux and then into siduction. These distro still actually exist in some form today, but user base is almost none.

You are right, back then it seemed linux would take over.

Yes, Kanotix was one of my favourites too. But that wasn't in 2003, it was a couple of years later.

SUSE began to get worse after it was bought by Novell.

Just looked on google, my join date on the kanotix forum was 2005, so yes- a couple years later.

My memory is hazy on what i was using before that time- xandros i think. My hardware including modem, all needed to be tinkered to get anything to work, the learning curve was very steep- akin to early hackintosh experience!

• Like 1

Just looked on google, my join date on the kanotix forum was 2005, so yes- a couple years later.

My memory is hazy on what i was using before that time- xandros i think. My hardware including modem, all needed to be tinkered to get anything to work, the learning curve was very steep- akin to early hackintosh experience!

The learning curve depended very much on the distribution. Libranet was fantastic. But also SUSE and Mandrake weren't too bad

(I didn't use a modem BTW, only ethernet).

I believe I did, but that was so many years ago...

Redhat was still a free distribution too

I tried KaOS after reading about it here, and while I find it a solid, fast distribution- with admirable goals; 32bit packages are still needed.

Frugalware is interesting too, but ha a virtually non existent userbase

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

You have gotta love KDE Plasma 5 Desktop with the stability and software of Ubuntu. It's called Kubuntu.

I had been against KDE for  long long timeand always stuck to alternatives like GNOME, MATE, XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox, but after suddenly deciding to try the new KDE interface called Plasma, I just fell in love...  

post-1517295-0-58509500-1470081865_thumb.png

Also, being a long time Linux user with a bit of OCD about settings and computers in general, the amount of settings for literally everything is just amazing. You can make Plasma what you want it to be, as you can see when comparing my screenshot to the default Plasma look. Also very stable, i run it on all my machines in signature, with very different graphical settings of course, but it works wonderful on all of them.

IMHO, the KDE team worked harder than all of the other Desktop Environment teams together , and did a complete great frickin' job

• 2 weeks later...

Kubuntu 16.04, BTW, where is Android-x86, it is linux after all...

• Like 1