UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext

ivik

674 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thanks for all your efforts guys. I have brightness slider and I got it using pwm-info and backlignt-control and built-in properties in my DSDT.

However, my brightness slider moves but it does not change the brightness actually. My min, max values are 0x0 and 0x400. It changes my brightness using regular Fn+Up and down keys (No Sun logo though) but not using Fn+Insert and Fn+Numblock where Sun logo comes up and it shows the brightness slider and values change but brightness of display does not change :angel:

My Graphics card is

nVidia 8400m GS 128MB

I am guessing it is because values for @0,pwm-info are incorrect. Can you guys point me to the right direction so that I calculate my @0,pwm-info values?

Also do you guys know the mac model # like MacbookPro5,1 for the mac which uses this graphics card? may be I can get @0,pwm-info from its deviceproperties.plist file.

Thanks again in advance.

Jay

Are values changing in ioreg when you move slider? Does driver print levels in dmesg?

Yes ivik, they change in ioreg and sun logo comes up and in sun logo brightness levels change as well. However I haven't yet incorporated your driver. I was thinking if I got @0,pwm-info values right, I could get vanilla brightness. Do you think I should use your driver?

Hi guys, i tried GenericBrightness kext and i have a problem. The kext won't load at boot so i can't adjust brightness, but if i load it while in the OS, everything works. Can someone tell me how to make it load at boot time? Here's the log dump:

Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kpi.mach.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kpi.unsupported.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kpi.iokit.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext - no dependency found for com.apple.kpi.libkern.
Jun 29 16:50:38 Dime333s-MacBook-Pro [0x0-0x17017].janek202.Kext-Wizard[191]: GenericBrightness.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

i cant get that to work, it worked with my old dsdt, where i had no slider in system settings/display and i could use my fn+down/fn+up keycombos, but now it does not work, i have the slider but when i move it it just moves back to maximum and nothing is changed, if anybody can help me, please. i have uploaded my old dsdt as oldDSDT.aml and my new one in one archive, also i have a nvidia 310m the device should be VGA as far as i can see from ioreg

update: i can get the brighness popup with break and scrolllock but nothing happens also in my ioreg it says 0x0 for brightness max, min and value

update2: the noslider method works, now i have a new problem, how do i map keys to the included shell programs?

dsdt.zip

• 3 weeks later...

@ivik

How is the project going? I know your time is limited, I just want to know is it possible to remember the brightness level? I've been waiting for the update for a long time, now Lion is out, if this issue is solved , it would be great :(

Hey, got the second method working with G105m (nvidia) and its good but I cant use the first method because my min and max brightness values are both 0 and I dont know how to fix that ;) Please could someone more DSDT familiar look at my DSDT(attached) and try to see why it returns 0? Im on an acer aspire 5738g with t6400 and g105m, using graphicsEnabler=yes and 64bit kernel. Running 10.6.7.... Shout if you need an ioreg dump or anything...

dsdt.zip

• 2 weeks later...

@ivik & @JBraddock

Hi, do you have any idea about the "pwm-info"? I find that brightness of led can adjust by the pwm, that is Pulse Width Modulation, so I think the OS read the pwm info from the @0,pwm-info and use it for our led screen. Am I right? If so, we can inject the pwm info of our own led screen, but how to get the pwm info?

On my laptop, after pressing the hotkeys, the brightness does not change immediately, it needs 0.5~1 second to adjust. I don't why? Could you give me some tips?

@ivik & @JBraddock

Hi, do you have any idea about the "pwm-info"? I find that brightness of led can adjust by the pwm, that is Pulse Width Modulation, so I think the OS read the pwm info from the @0,pwm-info and use it for our led screen. Am I right? If so, we can inject the pwm info of our own led screen, but how to get the pwm info?

On my laptop, after pressing the hotkeys, the brightness does not change immediately, it needs 0.5~1 second to adjust. I don't why? Could you give me some tips?

I used @0,pwm-info value from 9400M of MacBookPro5,5. I can get brightness appear on the screen with this but still I have to use ivik's driver to change brightness. Other than that I don't know if there is a way to find the correct pwm-info of our screen.

Apart from kernel panic on HDMI plug/unplug, it works well.

I used @0,pwm-info value from 9400M of MacBookPro5,5. I can get brightness appear on the screen with this but still I have to use ivik's driver to change brightness. Other than that I don't know if there is a way to find the correct pwm-info of our screen.

Apart from kernel panic on HDMI plug/unplug, it works well.

On my laptop, the genericbrightness.kext is needed,too. Maybe I should do more research on this "delay" issue to fix it.

SUCCESS !!!

I managed to get brightness working on my laptop (Nvidia G310m) ! Although it doesn't use your kext, ivik, but I have used it a lot during my research and I think it is interesting information for other nvidia users.

Now, before I get to how I did it, I'd like to warn you that I have just succeeded moments ago and I still need to check temperatures and other harmful factors that may cause harm to the hardware.

Apparently, all it needed was the @0,pwm-info key injected, I took this key from a MacBookPro6,1 dump,

Here, since our graphics card were similar and injected it via GFX strings. Additionally, I added a PNLF device to my DSDT ( usefulness is still to be tested ).

Here is the Pnlf device:

Device (PNLF)
                   {
                       Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
                       Name (_CID, "backlight")
                       Name (_UID, 0x0A)
                       Name (_STA, 0x0B)
                   }

And here is the injected part, you can inject it via DSDT or GFX string, it is your choice. You can look up information on how to do that on this forum.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>@0,AAPL,boot-display</key>
	<string>0x00000001</string>
	<key>@0,EDID</key>
	<data>AP///////wBMo0UyAAAAAAASAQCAIhN4Cof1lFdPjCcnUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBQRxWoFAAFjAwICUAWMIQAAAZAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAACOHAmQBAAAA/gBTQU1TVU5HCiAgICAgAAAA/gBMVE4xNTZBVDAyMDAwAHw=</data>
	<key>@0,backlight-control</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>@0,use-backlight-blanking</key>
	<data></data>
	<key>@1,can-hot-plug</key>
	<data></data>
	<key>@0,pwm-info</key>
	<data>AhgAZJBZAgAIUgAApRwAAAAEAAABAAAA</data>
	<key>AAPL,backlight-control</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>AAPL,aux-power-connected</key>
	<data>AQAAAA==</data>
	<key>@0,built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
	<key>@0,compatible</key>
	<data>TlZEQSxOVk1hYwA=</data>
	<key>@0,device_type</key>
	<data>ZGlzcGxheQA=</data>
	<key>@0,display-cfg</key>
	<string>0x0036ffff</string>
	<key>@0,name</key>
	<data>TlZEQSxEaXNwbGF5LUEA</data>
	<key>@1,compatible</key>
	<data>TlZEQSxOVk1hYwA=</data>
	<key>@1,device_type</key>
	<data>ZGlzcGxheQA=</data>
	<key>@1,display-cfg</key>
	<string>0x013eff00</string>
	<key>@1,name</key>
	<data>TlZEQSxEaXNwbGF5LUIA</data>
	<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
	<string>Slot-1</string>
	<key>NVCAP</key>
	<data>BAAAAAAAAQD+AAAAAAAACgAAAAA=</data>
	<key>NVPM</key>
	<data>AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==</data>
	<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
	<string>0x20000000</string>
	<key>device_type</key>
	<data>TlZEQSxQYXJlbnQA</data>
	<key>model</key>
	<data>R2VGb3JjZSBHMzEwTQA=</data>
	<key>rom-revision</key>
	<data>IEJJT1MA</data>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

It all began to work for me when I injected the @0,pwm-info key however some of the other keys may still be necessary (especially the keys concerning backlight).

Again, this may be dangerous, be careful when or if you try this out. I am not responsible if this bricks your hardware

Hey guys sorry for the question, but...I searched high and low and could not manage to find an answer...How do I inject the above info and where??? It is not very specific and I just can't get it, sorry...Thanks a lot

I have a edited DSDT, which I can upload if anyone needs to see it. But I have a weird problem.

When I turn on my laptop, I can adjust the brightness, but it doesn't work right. The first level of brightness is 0%, then it jumps to like 80, then 90, then 100%. So its really too bright.

But if I put it to sleep and wake it up, brightness functions fine, with all 16 different levels and everything. How can I fix that?

@ ivik / Nixin, /others

Need a bit of help here. I am on Lion 10.7.

I get the brightness slider after dsdt patching and putting GenericBrightness.kext in S/L/E,but moving the slider doesn't do anything.

There is no change in brightness levels,nor is there any change with brightness keys or fn.

Rest of my system is working fine.

My patched DSDT.aml and ioreg is attached.

Please help!!

TIA :unsure: