UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext

ivik

674 posts in this topic

@ivik and hotcorez,

Thanks for your efforts.

ivik, I tried your dsdt. Now, the brightness levels correctly show up in the kernel log:

kernel[0]: Acpi brightness levels:14, lowest brightness:12, highest brightness:90

Unfortunately, slider movements, or brightness up/down keys have no effect on brightness. In addition, I still get kernel panics with your kext when plugging or unplugging the HDMI connector. That's why I was hoping to have the driver entirely implemented in dsdt so I don't have to use your kext.

I do admit it's nice to control brightness with the MAC brightness keys and to see the SUN symbol appear like on a real MAC. That's a great project you have going on.

Hi Ivik,

It would be fantastic if you could find a fix for resolution change KP.

I have issue with my display sleep-wakeup (Nvidia Go7xxx problem) on Pavilion: only way to wake up display from sleep is to change resolution or color depth, with both methods I'm getting KP if your kext is loaded.

Regards

Swavek

Ok.. I don't have idea/hardware how to solve this KP with nvidia resolution change/HDMI.

So lets work around it.

Driver for this test is NoSlider.zip, but you have to have working slider in display prefpane. Driver from NoSlider.zip was feed from menulet or from console utility. Now brgtd deamon read slider value from display prefpane and send's it to driver.

Run this deamon and try sleep/res. change/hdmi.

brgtd.zip

Run this deamon and try sleep/res. change/hdmi.

Hah !

Brilliant! Top job buddy !

no KP, slider works,

now - do you know how I can run brgtd deamon in hidden mode? as a start up terminal command pops out even if I'll tick 'hide it' box.

Thanks very much ivik

Best regards

s

Ok.. finaly some progress :(

Damn... i didn't try this. F* terminal opens every time.

Tried with bash script that had "brgtd &" for backrounding... but terminal still opens. Google help please. :D

Next thing to do is to sync hardware brightness to apple one. Brightness is set to some value that is read from somewhere. Brgtd could read hardware brightness, and set the slider to that value.

It needs to be run on login. Before login, apple brightness can't be readed.

Exactly - you can run an Automator Action just like any other application, so on-login.

have had no luck here,

tried automator (workflows, script, app - kind of works but automator fellow pops up in the taskbar and sits there)

apple script and applescript editor freeze when daemon starts, like in terminal.

Hi Ivik

Great work here. I am DYING to get this working. First things first.

Sony VAIO VPC-Z (Intel GMA+NV330M).

Have disabled GMA in bios, Windows/osx/etc all just see the Nvidia GPU. Brightness controls work in windows.

Full resolution, QE/CI all working with default GraphicsEnabler in bootloader. Brightness i've spent hours on and no progress.

My DSDT (attached) just has minor edits - usb fix, hpet, etc. You'll see 2 gpu's in here. GFX0 should be the Intel and DGPU is what appears to be the nvidia gpu (confirmed with ioreg).

Issue I have is calls to brightness appear (I know JUST enough to be dangerous) to all be routed from dgpu to gfx0, and then ultimately snc gets involved. I've tried a lot of cut and past, etc. to no avail. Your kext sees 9 levels but moving the slider does nothing...always max brightness...which on the Z is blinding. I'm not sure if it's because the GFX0 device is disabled or what?

If you could take a look at this dsdt and make some recommendations I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!!!!

You can move slider, but brightness doesn't change, or slider is always on maximum?

If it is always on max, then you didn't inject some values for nvidia.

OSX doesn't show slider/brightness controls at all. Problem with injection is the only method that gives me working display with QE/CI is using GraphicsEnabler built into Chameleon. I've searched and searched and cannot figure out how to inject additional info only via DSDT. Your applet loads and the slider works (when adding LCD1234 via dsdt) but has no impact on actual brightness.

Regardless, I was hoping to use your "method 2" and bypass all of the nvidia stuff anyhow. At this point I just need some working brightness controls. Z is so bright it's unusable in any dark environment set to full brightness. If anything jumps out at you in my dsdt I'm all ears. Any help you provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have added PNLF, yes. When I did, AppleIntelBacklight shows up in ioreg but still no brightness sliders anywhere. I think it is NOT added to the dsdt I provided, was trying to keep it clean for you. I was under the impression by correctly setting up dsdt (with LCD1234) I could bypass the apple methods with your birghtness menulet? Thanks again for looking into this.

When loading your kext and using the brightness up/down and brightness get the stored values (retrieved from brightness get) do increment and decrement appropriately.

Not fully understanding dsdt, since GFX0 (intel gpu) is disabled in BIOS I'm not sure it's initialized either.

Someone else in this thread (with single graphics) successfully got your kext working on Sony with SNC.

Thanks again for looking into!

Try this dsdt:

Sames results, genericbrightness kext loads, sees 9 values. ./brightness up and ./brightness down change values retrieved by ./brightness get but no impact on actual panel brightness :) Any other thoughts? Thanks!

How many brightness levels are under windows?

I think that you could have native brightness if you inject right stuff into dsdt.

https://gist.github.com/raw/451904/ecdf2c40...bf8/nvidia_bl.c

Just dump dsdt from osx. Chameleon should add injectors to enable graphics and then add other stuff for brightnes.

9 Levels in windows, so your kext is picking that up right! I'll read up on injection again, but I was hoping your kext could bypass/simplify this. Thanks! (what did you change in dsdt by the way?) Any pointers on how to look into adding nvidia stuff into the dsdt to work in conjuction with graphicsenabler in chameleon?

I added SNIN in _BCL method hoping that this wil init brightness and faked windows 2006 in osys.. I think that apple driver messes your brightness, because there are no injectors for brightnes.

Try booting with GraphicsEnabler=No and then check if brightness work.

Search this topic. You'll find what you need for 330m. Don't forget to add pnlf.