UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext

ivik

674 posts in this topic

Hi ivik,

I tried your Kext and it's great we waited for a long time to see a fix for Brightness :P

but there are some problems related to HDMI & Sleep

First: i tried connecting with VGA connector to my LCD and it works fine tried everything and no KP

Second: i tried with HDMI connector to my LCD and here is the problem

It always KP when i connect the Cable

If i connected the cable then i turn on the machine it works fine (but with No HDMI Audio)

if i unplug the HDMI cable it also KP

post-307642-1294005376_thumb.jpg

Third: when closing the lid, it sometimes KP and sometime don't !!!!

Happy new year to all. I must also report that although I thought the kext was working 100% fine on my Dell Mini 10v, I found out that it causes a KP when closing the lid towards sleep. Funny thing is that the system crashes after saving the sleepimage file, so on wakeup I get the desktop and then immediate crash! Had to delete sleepimage by booting from another HDD to salvage the Mini...

Ivik,

Thanks for the VoodooPS2 kext. I didn't try that until today as last one seemed no good for me. However, your modified Voodoo key board plugin works perfectly to give Dell key brightness up and down with the sun icon showing up.

Brilliant - this with Device PNLF and the MBP6,1 device property injection now gives full function brightness to my Vostro.

Hi,

first of all, I have a GT 330M, I've managed to get sun icon appearing using keys 'scroll lock' and 'pause', Display slider is working and values are registered in ioreg, where

• max value is 0x400
  • min value is 0x0,
  • when using brightness keys or Display slider (influences both) and refresh ioreg, the brightness value has changed as it should.

but the LCD brightness itself is not changing.

I'm not using GenericBrightness.kext or any of the drivers/code you posted here.

I located my graphics section and its under PCI0.PEG3.GFX0, I modified bungo's nvidia injection (_DSM) with EDID, NVCAP, etc. Here is where all the stuff started to work but not changing the actual LCD brightness. Before bungo's modified nvidia injection I had the sun icon appearing (same brightness keys) but no values changed in ioreg (min=0, max=0 problem) and also the 'slider-stuck-at-100%' stuff, so I guess the pwm-info, etc was the key.

After the modified nvidia injection, it also solved the problem with the HDMI connect/disconnect KP (same as yehia Amer is reporting only without GenericBrightness.kext, etc). I have reconnected and disconnected it tens of times and it is stable as hell. Also overscan option on ext. monitor does not KP (as before).

@ivik If there is anything I can do to check some values why it's not KP-ing anymore, just say so. Then the brightness to actually change, something is missing, I've attached my DSDT.dsl. Are you willing to look at it for a few seconds and maybe you see something I don't? ;), all the DSDT edits can be found with "@hack" search string, but I guess only the PNLF and PCI0.PEG3.GFX0._DSM are useful.

Cheers

dsdt_.zip

This is nice that you don't have KP anymore.

But I don't see where you have "Name (_HID, EisaId ("LCD1234"))"

This is without my driver.

So... can't debug..

Yer I know, I just added LCD1234 on both LCD devices (PCI0.POP2.VGA.LCD and PCI0.POP3.VGA.LCD), LCD brightness now changes, counted visually 8 levels, which also is reported by dmesg:

Acpi brightness levels:8, lowest brightness:10, highest brightness:100

Have to remove one or the other to see which one is getting called upon.

-- I now also have the KP with disconnectin/connecting HDMI.

K, LCD1234 is now in device PCI0.POP3.VGA.LCD, brightness 'works'.. now have to start re-reading the posts to see if I can have it working without GB.kext ;)

So, the GB.kext (82kb, from GenericBrightness.zip) which needs PNLF KP's when con./disc. HDMI. Kernel panic dependency backtrace is the same as in Mammoth KP screenshot.

The one with the AppletSlider (GB.kext is 86kb in NoSlider.zip) does not KP when con./disc, though brightness controls only possible with AppletSlider, keys and Display slider don't work (as expected I guess). ioreg values are set, but brightness property does not change value when using AppletSlider (guess also as expected).

Also boot time with both GB.kext's is between 6 and 10 seconds more, normal boot time is about 2/3 seconds starting from apple logo appearing (SSD).

-- not using any brightness methods in PNLF

-- the AppletSlider in NoSlider.zip is not a blend overlay right? It but does actually interact with the LCD?

Anything else I can do or check?

Cheers

Messages in console.app (kernel.log) and dmesg are only updated when brightness is changed (slider or battery power).

It doesn't panic?

It does panic, but it doesn't log anything concerning the panic, when changing brightness I get these bytewise values

brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 0
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 64
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 128
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 192
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 256
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 320
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 384
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 448
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 512
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 576
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 640
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 704
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 768
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 832
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 896
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 960
brightnessmin  0, brightnessmax 1024, currentbrightness 1024

Is that what you need?

So problem comes from reading ioreg when pluging/unpluging hdmi. If you could see what happens to those values when system panics...

It looks like something is lost during this event. (backlight service?)

Does this panic also happens on login window?

Try connecting hdmi on login window.

hi guys,I have no brithness controll in my dell running 10.6.5 this is my DSDTdsdt.aml.zip can somebody help me?ty

Login in window funny enough has a delay of 2 or 3 seconds, after that the panic gets called.

I can give you screenshots of the panic this time, don't know if it has any value to you.

Don't get me wrong, I am doing research, if this would be a linux machine, I would attach a separate distro to it, put this kernel in debug mode, attach kernels and catch everything there is to debug, but it's not linux and I'm damn unfamiliar with this whole OSX stuff and this flipp'in kernel .. I could't even get OSX in debug mode to start with, would lock up every-time, but that's a different story ..

There is no output, no change in ioreg, nothing. System just freezes and hits panic, 7 out of 10 times the internal display gets scrambled, the HDMI is connected to a plain external 23" LCD monitor, I'm not able to test sound, also I have to reconfigure pins in VoodooHDA to get the HDMI digital outs, which fail at the moment.

I'll be glad to hear any suggestions to see changes in the ioreg before the panic hits without scrambling my screen :D

But I guess this is a dead-end, and don't get me wrong, your situation trying to solve this is the worst :D and I can only say thumbs up for the time you put into this and keeping the thread so active .