UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext

ivik

674 posts in this topic

GraphicsEnabler=No boots to VESA resolution, no brightness control still. Using NVEnabler instead of grpahicsenabler I can't get to desktop.

I still cannot for the life of me find where I can add patch info to what graphicsenabler is doing. If you have any direction for me, it would be much appreciated.

Still, it seems like your method (genericbrightness) SHOULD be easier to get working due to directly calling the dsdt methods, no? Thanks!

Did you try brightness utility when GraphicsEnabler=No?

My method works when apple is not messing with brightness. It works always when brightness is controlled with EC.

If you have same brightness controll like apple laptops, but don't have brightness injectors in dsdt, brightness won't work.

I told you before... dump your dsdt from osx. Find where chamleon inject values, and add what is needed for brightness.

Upload you ioreg so i can see where is graphics card.

Did you try brightness utility when GraphicsEnabler=No?

My method works when apple is not messing with brightness. It works always when brightness is controlled with EC.

If you have same brightness controll like apple laptops, but don't have brightness injectors in dsdt, brightness won't work.

I told you before... dump your dsdt from osx. Find where chamleon inject values, and add what is needed for brightness.

Upload you ioreg so i can see where is graphics card.

I tried your brightness app with enabler=no and still didn't work.

I extracted DSDT from osx (with graphicsenabler=yes) and either I'm missing it or chameleon is not injecting what's needed into the dsdt. I was under the assumption it worked from some other method. Are you saying that what graphicsenabler really does is patch the dsdt and if I extract it from OSX I will see the changes Chameleon made (as it relates to the gpu)?

Sorry for sounding so dense, I'm trying to learn. Appreciate the help.

^I know you think I must be crazy, but nothing changes in DSDT when I use graphicsenabler (built in to chameleon, not kext). To summarize

Graphicsenabler=yes gives me working qe/ci and resolution. Booting that way and directly extracting dsdt and comparing to dsdt with graphicsenabler=no = no change (that I can find). I've searched dsdt for nvidia, nvda, nvcap, etc...nothing.

Yes, graphics enabler patches dsdt, but this is not enough because it doesn't inject brightness stuff.

Search nvidia in dsdt.

So I skipped using graphicsenabler and added everything I could dig up into dsdt. Gives me resolution/QE/CI, etc. Added pnlf, keys for PWM, backlight-control, etc. It all shows up in ioreg as well....and I still have no brightness slider or backlight control. No matter what I do I can't even get a (non working) slider to show up.

My internal display is wired via DP, perhaps that's the problem. Displays preferences does correctly identify "Sony LCD" and even picks up a color profile for it.

I've tried manually adding incorrect EDID to dsdt and it still sees my sony.

I'm lost.

Gladly, it's attached. Heres something interesting too, when I switched to dsdt injection instead of graphicsenabler now my display is at about 70% brightness...still no slider or control but definitely not as bright as when I used graphicsenabler. Strange, I know. Thanks!

vaioz.zip

OK. With that dsdt my QE/CI came back, but still no backlight slider and still no brightness control. Something interesting through.

With my old dsdt, screen brightness is about 70%, with your's it's 100% (it's very noticable the difference).

If I remove the NVMT section from your dsdt the brightness then goes down to 70% (obviously after reboot).

So something is in the NVMT section of interest. Thoughts?

@ivik: Can you please fix my DSDT (T61, Intel X3100)?

I have a brightness slider, but it's uneven. I thnk the brightness settings are in BRTB, but i don't know how to add them to PNLF.

I don't have _BCM, etc. :(

I get this error

17.04.11 12:05:20	kernel	IG: Invalid firmware max backlight setting

edit: fixed it by patching by patching AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

T61_dsdt_fixed.aml.zip

I will be patiently waiting!

you're my hero! :D

its a pity that ivik doesn't post in this forum anymore... it's a big loss :(

but let's hope that he's fine, wherever he is, and busy with something beautiful :)

scrax abandoned me :D:(

hi ivek how are you?

I have sony laptop vac EB37Fd/B

intel i5 460m 2.53GHz

intel hd graphics

my graphics show no kexts load

but extensions load intel hd graphics.

i cant see lcd info my ioreg.

so can you fix my dsdt please.

thank you.

i upload my dsdt and ioreg file.

dsdt.manor.rar

thanks beaups for quick replay.

so who can fix this

Hey guys,

I'm running 10.6.6 on a VAIO SZ440N. I have QE/CI thanks to some GMA950 drivers (27a2) for 10.6.3 provided elsewhere on the forums.

I have the brightness slider working via a DSDT injection (PNFL)

Device (PNLF)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
Name (_CID, "backlight")
Name (_UID, 0x0A)
Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

But it isn't regular. For example:i

Far left is totally off

1 over is 50%

half way is 100%

then back down to maybe 60-70%

Then slowly back up til it ends at the right.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have graphicsenabler on or off, the slider and QE/CI work.

However, when I try to add the

Name (_HID, EisaId ("LCD1234"))

to Device (LCD), OS X will not load.

Any suggestions on why my slider doesn't work properly, or why I can't add that line? DSDT with only the 2nd line is attached. Thanks!

@ivik: could you please take a look at my dsdt file?

I have a working slider, but it's not smooth. If i put it at 90%, the half of the screen is at 20% and the other one at 60% brightness. Brightness values are displayed in ioreg. In RW Everything, i couldn't determine any register for brightness in ED.

edit: fixed it by patching by patching AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd be happy using the lower range of the slider for modifying brightness... it seems to work pretty well. Is there a way to cap the range of the slider so I don't go too low or too high?

Edit: My steps in IOReg (Using Fn keys) are:

0 8 10 18 20 28 30 38 40 48 50 58 60 68 70 78 80

0 is totally off (can't turn it back on after)

8 -> 38 increasing brightness

40 brightness drop

40-> 78 increasing brightness

80 brightness drop

So my brightness seems to be determined by (value % hex(40))

And that my vaio's brightness is 6-bit, but OS X thinks that it is 7-bit.

This could be corrected by setting my brightness->max value to 0x40 instead of 0x80. Any thoughts on how to do this? Thanks!

EDIT2:

This isn't strictly true, either. 38 is less bright than 78, and 80 is brighter than 40. How confusing. :rolleyes:

In any case if I could set:

brightness->min to 0x01 (from 0x00)

and

brightness->max to 0x3f (from 0x80)

I would be golden. Any thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry for the Thread Bump, but I am having trouble getting this to work?

I have done both the DSDT edits posted on the first Post, and installed GenericBrightness.kext, this gives me a brightness slider, but whenever I try to set it somewhere, it just jumps back to 100% and the brightness doesn't actually change!

I then tried NoSlider.zip, installed the GenericBrightness.kext from there, and still no joy, if I run the Menulet it appears in the top bar, but doesn't actually do anything?

I have a Samsung Q310 laptop with a Nvidia 9200M graphics card.

If I posted my DSDT would someone maybe be able to point me in the right direction?

Also, the screenshots everyone is posting from IOreg, where can I get that program? Up till now I have just been running IOreg from Terminal and getting textual results?

Thanks for any help!

Stew

Hi

Sorry for the Thread Bump, but I am having trouble getting this to work?

I have done both the DSDT edits posted on the first Post, and installed GenericBrightness.kext, this gives me a brightness slider, but whenever I try to set it somewhere, it just jumps back to 100% and the brightness doesn't actually change!

I then tried NoSlider.zip, installed the GenericBrightness.kext from there, and still no joy, if I run the Menulet it appears in the top bar, but doesn't actually do anything?

I have a Samsung Q310 laptop with a Nvidia 9200M graphics card.

If I posted my DSDT would someone maybe be able to point me in the right direction?

Also, the screenshots everyone is posting from IOreg, where can I get that program? Up till now I have just been running IOreg from Terminal and getting textual results?

Thanks for any help!

Stew

IORegistryExplorer.app.zip

Could I please ask you to take a look at my DSDT and tell me what is wrong?

I am in the second category meaning my slider does not work. So I used the zip in the first posting. I installed the kext in /S/L/E and the shells in /usr/bin.

I did change the dsdt and added the one line where it should be. In my case it is under GFX° in the device DPOD.

The kext registers and gives me a one line in boot time.

However neither the slider application nor the shells change the brightness conditions;

It alwasys remain the same, even when I do it manually.

I have read all your posting and could not figure out where I am going wrong.

The other question I have I am looking for DSDT injection for Nvidia GT460M and would appreciate if anyone could help.

Thanks

Artimess

DSDTAnval6B.zip