Core2Duo (Conroe) chipsets and chipsets for OSx86

bofors

349 posts in this topic

Asus added conroe support to the P5LD2 , board rev 2.0 or higher. Found it here on they're site: http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=3806

Doesn't say how to check the board revision , or how long rev 2.0 boards have been out so who knows if you would get one from newegg etc... The P5LD2 is 945P based and way cheaper than these other boards , they're only like $100 or $150 for the deluxe edition.

The only downside is they won't offer great overclockeability for the Conroe, because their FSB is already maxed out at 1066. Maybe they will overclock a little more but not much.

But its great for a OS X 86 setup, yeah.

Simon, I have to say that since you do not want to wait for the Conroe related issues to get sorted out, which could take months, that going with a 965 board may be a mistake given the information we now have in hand. You should seriously consider declining the receipt of your board (or just sending it back) and ordering a 975 instead.

i dont think i can do that now and besides i cant get the correct revision on 975 board down here.... oh well i will just stick with windows 2000 on it for a while and plug away with the EFI stuff,

I think I just wait till the 7th and see what Apple presents at WWDC. I am sure they present a 64bit machine. Also 10.5 is coming out soon (BETA or dev. version). Lets see on which hardware this release is supposed to run on. We will know soon enough which motherboard we need. Since 965 doesnt work and 975 is so expenisve I dont think neither of the two will be used by Apple. Waiting 1 week more (come on we waited so long already) is the wisest thing to do in this case. I am not going to spend 250 euro on a stupid :-) (sweet actually I mean expensive) SLI motherboard.

xerxes

Not sure whether the Realtek 8111B Gigabit Ethernet controller and the Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec are supported by OSX86.

Gygabyte have this model with intel 945G chipset, it works with conroe, what do you think?

http://us.test.giga-byte.com/Products/Moth...?ProductID=2324

its around 100 dollars only needs a Firewire card to compelment but thats cheap.

any ideas?

Since 965 doesnt work and 975 is so expenisve I dont think neither of the two will be used by Apple.

Apple would have no problem making OS X run on the 965, the issue here is that Apple has yet to release such a verision of OS X. Apple also could stick with the 945 chipsets to run Conroe, or not even use Conroe for that matter. I mean, it is possible, but unlikely that Apple will just use Merom in the Mac Mini and iMac.

But you are absolutely right about waiting and it may take months. Apple is likely not to fully reveal its hardware plans on Monday.

Not sure whether the Realtek 8111B Gigabit Ethernet controller and the Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec are supported by OSX86.

I can confirm ALC883 Works by adding the controller id to the azaliacontroller kext. Also the 8111B is in the same family as the 8169 so SHOULD work(no promises') Good luck....

I know there are a lot of overclocking Conroe threads and articles out there, but I just found something that looks really good.

DaveB at ArsTechinca has posted results of overclocking a E6300 (1.86 GHz) to 3.7 GHz. That is like a 100% overclock.

He used:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3,

1GB Corsair DDR2-800,

and a Cooler Master Aquagate Mini R80 Water Cooling System which he got new for $65.

svcompucycle_1910_14249025.jpg

This Aquagate system appears to be an idiot proof, cheap way to do water cooling. Everything is self contained and ready to go.

Here are the details: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums...24003230831/p/2

(scroll down for pictures)

Aw, my bad, I meant PATA of course :)

Yeah, prolly (almost sure) Apple will adopt the 965 chipset, but nothing says that Apple will continue using the PATA interface. So we are fairly screwed about our optical drives, unless we buy SATA ones or use a PATA to SATA converter (I know they work on hard discs, never tested on a dvd-rw drive).

And we don't know either if the new kexts will work on our current installations, or they will eventually break our system.

apple is likely to use a custom chip based stander Intel one.

Hi all. i just got my Box up and running. its E6300 wich i OC it to 2,36 Ghz soooo easily. board is an asus p5w dh deluxe. i got corsair PC5400 xms2 cuz i wanted them to run 1:1 with the cpu so they're @ 675 at a decent timing (4-4-4-12) wich i found in some review is better than 4-4-4-10. i did have to change some voltages both on mem and on the board. i got a 1800gto wich i hope to get running on osx. also got some coolers i found nice. an asus silent square for cpu and the accelero x2 for the graphics card. temps are good i guess 35/40 idlle/load. im installing osx rigth now and i'll post more when i get it running. i'll also post some pics of my rig...

installing.... in the mean time, here are the pics. oh and it's rebooting..let's see if i got it rigth now...

ok, i have it running...now what?! lol

i'll check my graphics card and sound, network works like a charm.

post-16445-1154967620_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154967666_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154967963_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154968001_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154968066_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154968107_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154968165_thumb.jpg

post-16445-1154968355_thumb.jpg

coming rigth out.... 1 sec

results are 129.98. still no sound. graphics work perfect, no tearing no..no... no wahtsoever, its pretty good. i dont know if this is a good result cuz i just installed this and it is far from tuned up so...

i can change screen res, color, etc etc etc. maybe 10.4.6 is not fitted for core 2 duo.. i dont know. but hey... i got it working.

i'm getting some advice to update... what can i update? from apple...

java update

quicktime update

ipod updater

itunes

mac osx update (intel)

what can i safelly update???

yes, at 2,36ghz. i've been reading something about desabling some bean or something that should show some improvements but i dont want to mess to much with this. i'll run it again now just to make sure...

oh btw.. sound is working. just finished that...

131 now... come on tell me..is this too low?!?! what can i do to improve the performance. this all looks so very very fast. when i load windows it isnt so fast.

131 for a starter is darn good! A 2.93 Ghz Core 2 Extreme X6800 scored just 143:

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?...mp;pagenumber=3

Excellent! This confirms that we can run both cores of the Conroe.

BTW, in light of todays WWDC opening: it seems Apple is leaving the broader desktop market behind. Only laptops and high end woodcrest stuff with 4 cores will remain. Looks like resignation to me.:(

OSX86 will thrive, and Apple won´t be too tough on us because they don´t care anymore about the market we live in. Eventually they start to like us because in the end we are the only ones to keep the competition between Apple and Windoze alive.

131 now... come on tell me..is this too low?!?! what can i do to improve the performance. this all looks so very very fast. when i load windows it isnt so fast.

I guess 131 is line with the only other score we know of here. Can you post your complete Xbench result?

BTW, in light of todays WWDC opening: it seems Apple is leaving the broader desktop market behind. Only laptops and high end woodcrest stuff with 4 cores will remain. Looks like resignation to me.:compress:

No way, it is about maximizing profit. Apple has to come up with either a cheap single Woodrest Mac Pro or a new mid-tower line based on Conroe. I am expecting the later.

It would have been easy for Apple to develop a Conroe-based desktop ready to hit the street right now. Why no announcement? The apple community has been waiting for Intel-based desktops for almost a year. All they get now is some utter high-end stuff. Maximizing profit?

No way, it is about maximizing profit. Apple has to come up with either a cheap single Woodrest Mac Pro or a new mid-tower line based on Conroe. I am expecting the later.