[Poll] Are you homosexual?

bofors

[Poll] Are you homosexual?  

672 members have voted

1. 1. [Poll] Are you homosexual?

• Yes
    • No

370 posts in this topic

1. Homosexuality is not sterility. The endless argument concerning "breeding" and "they can't make babies" is rubbish. The same sex drive operates in homosexuals as in heterosexuals, the only difference is the target. Only people with no sex drive, about 1% of the population, are to some degree sterile due to their innate sexuality. Even those people can breed if they chose to, however. Homosexuals can and do have heterosexual intercourse for breeding, donate sperm, get inseminated, etc. Given that overpopulation is a much more pressing global problem than underpopulation, the obsession with reproductive frequency is irrational. The teleological reasoning people employ regarding this issue can easily be reversed, with the argument that heterosexuality is a disorder because of the problem of overpopulation! Further, a recent study suggests that male homosexual children are more common among women who have a large number of children, which locates one or more genes for homosexuality in heterosexual women who are particularly fertile.

2. Homosexuality is not a disorder. This was established scientifically in the 1950s by Dr. Hooker and it's still the bottom line. Not being a disorder makes homosexuality not a problem. All attempts to render homosexuality a problem stem from ignorance/irrationality. Until credible scientific evidence can be produced that contradicts many decades of consensus, this is the end of the discussion for a rational person. Dr. Hooker correctly noted that the problem is heterosexism/homophobia—prejudice. Evelyn Hooker, "The adjustment of the male overt homosexual", Journal of projective techniques, XXI 1957, pp. 18-31.

3. Pair bonding is an important factor for humans according to research. It is said to be the strongest form of human relationship. This means homosexuals as well as heterosexuals should be able to have pair bonds recognized. However, it is true that lifetime/long-term monogamy is a questionable assumption, particularly for men. Unlike certain species (such as many birds), humans don't appear to be monogamous by nature, at least not for their lifetimes. There is a lot of variation and much of it is due to socialization. The idea that pair bonding is exclusively for heterosexuals is incorrect, as is the notion that homosexuals have no use for it because they're incapable/uninterested of/in raising children.

4. The Christian Bible, in its many forms, is didactic folklore. As such, it contains knowledge that is not clarified by the process of scientific examination/testing. Before science, such folklore was more important than it is today. It is now anachronistic. When discussing asocial behavior (or "sin"), it is helpful to "think outside the box" of prescribed religious doctrine. Even in the religious context, it's highly questionable to promote homophobia/heterosexism. There are too many logical problems.

5. The number of homosexuals in society is a trivial factor when it comes to prejudice. Truth is not determined by popularity and even if only 1/2 of one percent of a population is homosexual, that does not justify heterosexism/homophobia.

6. Homosexuality is not learned or chosen. It is innate. It cannot be changed, and there is no reason to try as it's not a disorder and therefore is not a problem. What does need to be changed, and what is not innate, is prejudice. When measuring prejudice, refer to the Homophobia Scale by Dr. Dorothy Riddle.

Refer to the American Psychological Association's "Answers to Your Questions About Homosexuality and Sexual Orientation" page for more information: http://www.apa.org/topics/orientation.html

6. Homosexuality is not learned or chosen. It is innate. It cannot be changed, and there is no reason to try as it's not a disorder and therefore is not a problem. What does need to be changed, and what is not innate, is prejudice. When measuring prejudice, refer to the Homophobia Scale by Dr. Dorothy Riddle.

I looked at this page, and I do not agree with it at all. Unless you are doing something to make the world more homo-friendly, you are homophobic. I'm sorry but that just doesn't make sense to me.

I consider myself somewhere in between homophobic level four and positive level one.

Acceptance: Still implies there is something to accept. Characterized by such statements as "Youâre not a {censored} to me, youâre a person!" or "What you do in bed is your own business," or "Thatâs fine with me as long as you donât flaunt it!"

Could someone here please explain to me how that is a homophobic attitude? I take the same attitude towards religion, believe whatever you want to but don't bother me with it. If this chart was adapted to fit prejudice against faiths/religions, It would deem me as 'not tolerant'.

Unless you are doing something to make the world more homo-friendly, you are homophobic.

Your interpretation of the scale is faulty.

Could someone here please explain to me how that is a homophobic attitude?

We accept things we consider negative. Considering homosexuality negative is prejudice. It's very simple. Given that homosexuality, like heterosexuality, is not a disorder, there is no justification for considering it negative.

I take the same attitude towards religion, believe whatever you want to but don't bother me with it.

Homosexuality is not a belief system. It's a biological fact. The comparison between religion and homosexuality is not useful in this context. A similarly useless comparison is saying "I don't like murder or heterosexuality". What kind of comparison is that? It's certainly not useful, as murder and heterosexuality are hardly similar.

I don't find it disgusting, just counter-intuitive. Only men and women make children.

True, but let me tell you about this family I know.

The mother and father got married and were together for almost 20 years. They had two children, a son and daughter. Eventually BOTH the mother and father decided they were homosexual and divorced, but stayed friends. Each parent had custody of one of the children.

So it seems that {censored} can reproduce. ^_^

To end the story, the son eventually came out as well. So only the daughter is straight.

Families comes in different configurations, just because we don't understand them, doesn't make it wrong or counter-intuitive.

Also factor in that some some {censored} families adopt, and they do have kids with other {censored}. It's not so uncommon that that a {censored} will have a child with a {censored} or straight man as a donor, or even {censored} man would donate his sperm to a straight female friend for a child if they are that close.

Now ya know... :)

Terry

True, but let me tell you about this family I know.

The mother and father got married and were together for almost 20 years. They had two children, a son and daughter. Eventually BOTH the mother and father decided they were homosexual and divorced, but stayed friends. Each parent had custody of one of the children.

I have known countless such cases.

@superstition, post #326: I had never read your post before today, Feb 2 2008: I find it very good.

The blame is on Star Trek : Where no man has gone before...

Man, I used to love Star Trek. I can;t wait till the new film.

Spock is Sylar :wacko:

:offtopic:

Don't get me wrong, i have no problem with what you do in your own home.

I was speaking to erei33 the other day, and he was saying that some people see that as homophobia.

I think they are just stupid.

Homophobia is much worse than that. Why do people have to be so darn PC!

And another thing I hate is pride parades!

I just hate how people act on those things - it almost puts me to shame, and furthers stereotypes!

And {censored} rights too.

Why do we need to protest for them, we are just as well off as any member of the public!

</rant>

• 2 weeks later...
The blame is on Star Trek : Where no man has gone before....

Star Trek has never had an openly {censored} character, even though Roddenbery was in favor of having them. Rick Berman of Paramount said having them conflicts with "family values". :)

As for "no man has gone before"... what are you talking about?

i have no problem with what you do in your own home

Sexual orientation is not just sexual behavior, and even sexual behavior is not restricted to bedrooms. Holding hands is a sexual behavior, for instance. Plus, it's impossible to not identify as hetero or homo in daily life. People ask questions and the like. A wedding ring is a display of sexual status and invites questions, for instance.

I dont mind saying that I am, in fact, a homosexual.

EDIT: 3 people have voted yes, yet only one of them (me) has left a comment saying they were one. I wonder if this is also another study. How likely it is people will admit their sexual preference when their admittance is anonymous. Fascinating. So far, we're 1 out of 3 ;-p

im {censored} 2 :) :)

And another thing I hate............................

........{censored} rights too.

Why do we need to protest for them, we are just as well off as any member of the public!

Well, maybe in Britain in the last few years.

Have you ever seen "The Two of Us", 1987? {censored} people definitely didn't have the same rights.

As to Italy, {censored} people are still very far from having the same rights as heterosexuals.

Well, maybe in Britain in the last few years.

Have you ever seen "The Two of Us", 1987? {censored} people definitely didn't have the same rights.

As to Italy, {censored} people are still very far from having the same rights as heterosexuals.

Precisely, here, we are fine.

It's just a shame about Italy...

I don't have a fxscked up childhood. =/ I enjoy my life now.(Right...? when does one's childhood actually end?) lol I just hate children, and I don't ever want any. So I'm a cold and heartless person. I don't lose sleep over the issue.

I'm not saying anything along the lines of I would beat "my" children if I had any. I might be a good parent for all I know if I suck it up and get over the fact that children and their instinctive curiosity annoy the {censored} out of me. I love babies, they're adorable and when they grow into toddlers...yeah, no more. I'm done with them. Why does this happen? Why does that happen? Why is the damn sky blue!

But sure I know quite a few people with {censored} parents, and there's nothing wrong with any of them...as far as I know. But yeah. We're(them and me) are good friends. lol I love this topic. It's funny. Not to mention politically incorrect. Whoo!

I'd like to add, that lesbians are hella fun to hang with!

and I do love my {censored} guy friends.

Share the legend for those who haven't ever been to or raised from Chicago, please. ^^

I hate(dislike with great intent) people that refuse to believe that bisexuality is a valid...uh... "choice" for one. Those "people" argue that I can't be half/half, when I explain it as "whatever happens, happens" So wtf! Screw Them!!

That is exactly how I am, but many people refuse to believe me. I really could care less if it's a guy or a girl, as long as I get true love and devotion. I also love how I've been accused of just, "Going through a phase." It really pisses me off how ignorant and close-minded some people can be.
I'm an angry 16 year old. My favorite phrase to hear is, "You're such a fake, I know that you're gonna be {censored} when you're older!" I've punched someone out before because of that accusation. I really, really have no reason to go all {censored}. I still like women just as much any str8 guy, but I happen to like them as well. lol
I expected you to be a teenager ;)

Just don't tell everybody your sexual preferences. Talk only with people who can understand you.

I didn't think it would be a shock to anyone that I'm young.

It's not like I shout it to the sky. :D

Hmmm, jesus... I went through that.. stage or no stage it haappend.

I'll tell you this though and this is by far the truest thing you have ever heard.

Choose your socks by color and your friends by character. Never the other way around.

Am I ?. mm no (did not answer though), the poll question is very stupid and dull. It should be on a scale of 1-5 this is not a yes or no answer. For some it is (for those who have felt this way all thier lives). For me no.

It's not about confusion, nor denial, nor anything else, it's just human emotions, friendship, love, moments of one's life spent in a good and beneficial way that may lead to sentimental value. As was in my case. End of story.

So the next time your friend says they feel for you... try to find a beeter answer than "i don't care what you feel", or ignoring them or whatever.

PS:

unlike Mutagenic Mayhem i will have kids @ some point in the future. I don't realy know if by adoption or the usual way. Hopefully both.

That's all I have to say about this subject. Stay safe.

Same here in brazil... we're really far from havin' the same rights straight people have.

There are however some people tryin' to make people see that being {censored} is not wrong, but the country is still too narrow-minded, and so is the {censored} community (and YES, I'M {censored}, so i can say that's true).

As for the religious stuf and so, a priest friend of mine once said (and NO, i'm not religious, catholic, protestant, nor whatever religion): 'if being {censored} was not a wish of god, {censored} people would simply not exist'... but enough of religious stuff... i don't believe it anyway...

And as a mac user... i don't feel any superior or different from PC users... it's just a matter of taste. I work for a creative company, and as a creative person i preffer macs over pcs, and that's all!

Keep on the good work people!

see ya :P

Am I ?. mm no (did not answer though), the poll question is very stupid and dull. It should be on a scale of 1-5 this is not a yes or no answer. For some it is (for those who have felt this way all thier lives). For me no.

It's not about confusion, nor denial, nor anything else, it's just human emotions, friendship, love, moments of one's life spent in a good and beneficial way that may lead to sentimental value. As was in my case. End of story.

Very good. I know very well what you are talking about.

One recent study found that American college men who identified as bisexual were not aroused by images of women but were by images of men. There is growing evidence that sexual orientation is like a switch between homo and hetero. The only middle ground is in sexual behavior, not orientation. For instance, plenty of {censored} men have had wives and children, but they're still {censored} men. Social pressure makes men less willing to be openly {censored}, and especially for young men, the bisexual label brings a connotation of greater masculinity.

I have found some women attractive and even thought about marrying one, but the attraction is not sexual. I have found "bisexual" erotica involving two men and a woman stimulating, too, but not because I find the female body arousing. Kinsey's research and other research found that a lot of men, especially when young, have had same-sex sex but married women and so forth. This is the difference between sexual behavior and sexual orientation. A man or woman can enjoy some sexual activity with someone of the sex they're not aroused by, but that doesn't mean they're bisexual.

Scientists may say what they want, but I am more inclined to believe my (pretty long) experience as a human being and as a counsellor: bisexuals do exist. They are people in great need of affection, who don't look very much at the gender of their partners, but rather at their personalities, and to the quality of feelings/love they get.

It is perfectly possible that bisexuals tend to prefer people of their own gender, but that is because they feel better understood.

• 2 weeks later...
As for the religious stuf and so, a priest friend of mine once said (and NO, i'm not religious, catholic, protestant, nor whatever religion): 'if being {censored} was not a wish of god, {censored} people would simply not exist'... but enough of religious stuff... i don't believe it anyway...

That is very true, common sense even. But unfortunately since Ratzinger became Pope, the Vatican puts its nose in every Italian business.

And no, good common sense is unknown to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Girls all the way!

But I must say that I DO have respect for homosexuals. They should not be treated any differently than the straight guy. They should not be treated different just because they chose to be that way. Also I know many homosexuals who I am not embarrassed to hang out with and they are much more understanding and compassionate tham "my bros"

Sexual orientation isn't chosen.

I also don't think its forced, or that you're 'born {censored}' or straight. I've always been straight, and have never felt homosexual attraction but I sure wasn't 'born straight'. I honestly think it has to do with nurture and your childhood a lot more than it does with how you're 'destined' to be.