ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Hi Kabyl,

Thanks for your hard work.

I have trouble with two last updates, only first version working for me.

With new ones it took about 1 minute to show graphics screen from text screen (in verbose mode).

After that System profiler is working and both my cards are recognized with 4 display connectors each,

but if I try to start finder, finder is block and the whole machine is blocked.

(I cannot dump my ioreg)

Can you give me some advise?

THX in advance

I need to ask a really dumb question. Why does Chameleon have the Terminal variation, then a Installer and then just a boot file?

Seems like if I manually install Chameleon RC4 r684, then replace say a boot file for RC5 r700 it still boots up with RC4 r684. Is there some trick to wiping out this manual install, or is the key here just to use a thumb drive?

In the middle of trying to get my Apple ATI 5770 to work with newer RC5 candidates and this is making me mental. Aside from trying to figure out how to compile myself or get the i386 folder so I can manually install I'm stuck using a thumb drive.

Thanks

Right, it just hit me to move the boot file into the i386 folder and do a manual install form my soft raid setup. I was over complicating it.

Thanks.

I got my Apple ATI card up now and I'm in 64bit .. BIG THANK YOU!

Now hopefully I can move this over to my UD7/980X setup!

I used that ATY_Init.kext route and it just wasn't flying with the RC5 bootloaders. This is working great!

EDIT: All 3 connections work on Apple ATI 5770.

AppleATI5770.png

r700_Hoolock.png

Thanks Kabyl, the new boot file works like a charm showing ALL ports available, device and vendor ID is correct and I no longer need the ROM file or the boot-flag. All in all I am very happy. My only concern is that under PCI cards, it shows nothing. I do not know if this is due to your boot file, or the latest Chameleon R5 Rev700. Not that big of a deal, but for us Vanilla perfectionists, it is slightly annoying! I would very much like to know what frame-buffer was chosen. :)

Thanks Kabyl, the new boot file works like a charm showing ALL ports available, device and vendor ID is correct and I no longer need the ROM file or the boot-flag. All in all I am very happy. My only concern is that under PCI cards, it shows nothing. I do not know if this is due to your boot file, or the latest Chameleon R5 Rev700. Not that big of a deal, but for us Vanilla perfectionists, it is slightly annoying! I would very much like to know what frame-buffer was chosen. :D

Use bdmesg

Mine says:

ATI Juniper ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Vervet) [1002:68b8] (subsys [1458:21d7]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

With new ones it took about 1 minute to show graphics screen from text screen (in verbose mode).

After that System profiler is working and both my cards are recognized with 4 display connectors each,

but if I try to start finder, finder is block and the whole machine is blocked.

(I cannot dump my ioreg)

Dunno if is the same problem I used to experience, but I had a similar problem and it was due to the front audio jack; just removed the jack and rebooted an finder was usable again. It was the sound ketx that was causing the problem for me.

@ Kabyl this is working fine although I do get some black screens once in while. It is not frequent but if I am in series of testing rebooting once in a while one of the 2 displays is black. All I need to do is reboot again and it solves the problem.

Hey guys I am wondering why my ATi 5850 shows up as the following in about this mac (system Profiler). Why is not no identified as 5850? rather just a 5800 series

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6899

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

SMBX2450:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

Does not show anything relevant.

Install bdmesg - easiest way is to install it, if you don't know how to install manually, is to use one of the Chameleon Package installers and just de-select everything other than Utility:

Chameleon 2 RC5 Unofficial Package Installer

Look for

PKG build with PackageMaker

Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r656.zip

Then download, launch, after a couple of click throughs - then you can see the option to Customise in the bottom left of the window. Go in there, untick everything but Utility.

Now install just the utility and then open Terminal and type:

bdmesg

Up should pop a dump of your Chameleon boot log. Now if you look near the top, once the themes have been loaded then you will see a section that is like mine and it will show you what frame buffer is being loaded by Kabyl's boot file for your card. You said:

I would very much like to know what frame-buffer was chosen

Maybe I shouldn't offer up solutions to people who ask questions if the answer I'm going to get is

Does not show anything relevant.

After Days of intense Testing i can say that the Gigabyte 5770 Silent Cell works stable with Kabyl Booter.

No more Black Screens, Flickering or other Problems (only the missing HDMI Video out with Vervet FB).

Sleep works fine.

So the Black Screen Freeze Problem comes only from the Powercolor Green 5750 Card!

I dont know why the Card produces this Problem for me and others, but obviously something goes wrong with this GPU and the Ati Kexts. It has nothing to do with this Booter because the Problem appears with "all" Ati HD5000 Install Methods.

However. The Card is sold and im so happy with the new Gigabyte 5770 :thumbsup_anim: Finally Snow Leo becomes fully stable after so much searching and Testing

But theres something what looks strange :

In System Profiler i can see 4 Display Connections with the latest Kabyl Booter?

But the Card has only "3 Video Outs" (DVI,HDMI,DP)

But theres something what looks strange :

In System Profiler i can see 4 Display Connections with the latest Kabyl Booter?

But the Card has only "3 Video Outs" (DVI,HDMI,DP)

Vervet is used for a card with 4 connections, did you try a different config?

Baboon, Eulemur, Flicker, Hoolock...

Maybe I shouldn't offer up solutions to people who ask questions if the answer I'm going to get is

Uhm, thanks, but you don't have to be so snide! Seriously.... All I needed was to be pointed in the right direction. Everything you posted I had done MONTHS ago with the first release of Chameleon 2. I simply had a blonde moment and in terminal instead of just typing bdmesg I was typing sudo bdmesg, which simply brought up the verbose log, hence, I did not find anything relevant, now I do.

Been a member here for 5 years, I am no noob and never ask for help. Hackintoshed virtually every system that was able to be with 100% working functionality; including every AMD board and CPU type from nForce 4 with AMD64 and Intel systems with LG775 with P4/Celeron all the way up to the current Hex-core Intel and AMD. This was the first time I encountered missing info in System Profiler and thought I would ask. This is the exact reason I don't like to ask, rather DIY.... :)

Use bdmesg

Mine says:

ATI Juniper ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Vervet) [1002:68b8] (subsys [1458:21d7]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Strange thing. I have an ATI 5870 (reference) and, with no arguments reads:

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1

ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space

ATI Cypress ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB (Zonalis) [1002:6898] (subsys [1002:0b00]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

It reads the same if:

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Uakari</string>

is placed in com.apple.Boot.plist

I know there's a difference, because without the Uakari bootloader specified the fans run much louder.

Are there other methods to determine which framebuffer is being used?

Sorry, I'm not trying to start some forum aggression.

Glad that it's all sorted and I withdraw my snide comments. :construction:

No worries, and it did work. To be honest that terminal command is quite useful; never knew that before and it could have made troubleshooting in the past a little less stressful. I got learned me! :blowup:

HawgGuy, try ioreg from Terminal, e.g

ioreg | grep ATY

For something more human friendly check the net for IORegistryExplorer; it's part of XCode but you can find just the app.

Vervet is used for a card with 4 connections, did you try a different config?

Baboon, Eulemur, Flicker, Hoolock...

-Vervet works 100% stable (Wake from Sleep works fine) but no HDMI Video Signal

I use a DVI to HDMI Cable and it works fine with Vervet from DVI Out.

Also a DVI+DP to DVI Adapter works fine with 2 Displays in 1920x1080 extended Desktop

-Uakari works with HDMI Out, but "only" when a Cable is in the DVI Port.

-Baboon works with DVI shows 3 Display Outs in System Profiler, but no Videosignal after Sleep

-Hoolock DVI Signal and 3 Displays in System Profiler but with no Video after Sleep

-Flicker/Eulemur No Video Signal

Optimum would be a final Solution where all Outs are working as single Display and Multi Displays on these 3 Port 5770 cards.

Post your ioreg dump.

You have attached.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Kabyl, need more info? Can I do something for you? Beta tests? Whatever?

Cheers.

Kabyl, Have you taken a look a this mem problem?

Cheers.

I've got the same problem than you, with the same RAM.

I think it's a SPD problem, 'cause with others modules no problem with automatic detection

I didn't find any solution except using smbios.plist

I don't think so, with aserebln booter, works perfect, it returns 1336 (with fsb 167) or 1328 (with fsb 166) because my OC, and this is the exact value. So, it is not a SPD problem.

Cheers.