Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

I'm in the same boat as far as AppleTYMCEDriver.kext on my EVGA X58 board.

That makes me feel better. :P lol

I've successfully added the SBUS device but I still require the AppleTYMCEDriver.kext to be deleted. :(

Send me a PM if you fancy having a go at fixing it with me. :)

Have you changed (modded) VideoBios in gpu/mem/shader MHZ clocks or how/why you use that videorom loading ?

Have you checked GPU clocks by Nvclock if they are really changed by bios OC/UC if you changed clocks ?

I had used V325 with VideoROM with my 8800GTX.

It also loads (modded BIOS hown in Systemprofiler) but no MHZ changes - they are within the modded bios by Ntibitor.

Can it be newer V357 helps OR can it be that mostly/sometimes MHZ clocking modds (i mean OC/UC) in Video BIOS didnt work by loading only by flashing ?

Same OC/UC modd flashing instaed of videorom load worked.

Have you changed (modded) VideoBios in gpu/mem/shader MHZ clocks or how/why you use that videorom loading ?...

I decided to test (specifically with Cham r352 - there's a comment in the trunk) the VBIOS=Yes key cause Asere's boot loader wasn't reporting my nVidia Video BIOS version (as attachement above). Before without VBIOS and VBIOS=Yes the ROM Revision was displayed as XX.XX.XX.XX in System Profiler. AFAIK for the UseNvidiaROM key we should specify a file holding the dumped nVidia video firmware. Im not loading modded video BIOS and I have never tried to OC my video.

Before rev 352 (and when using AsereBLN 1.1.9) System Profiler would show xx.xx.xx.xx followed by the path to the ROM.

I've been using "UseNvidiaROM=y" and /extra/10de_0612.rom until today.

With Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r352 it looks like this, it just shows the path:

r352_UseNvidiaROM.png

If I use VBIOS=y with /extra/nvidia.rom instead, it shows the ROM revision:

r352_VBIOS.png

I have a burning question about loading vbios.

Following advice given by Krazubu over at ProjectOSX, my video ROM is patched by NVEnabler.kext, extracted from ioreg and saved with a hex editor.

I see many posts from people loading an unmodified video ROM extracted from their own video card (post #406 by rednous for example).

Is there any reason to load the video BIOS if it hasn't been patched?

I get even more confused now about that video rom loading.

I used UseNvidiaROM=Yes and the 10de_191.rom in /Extras (loaded as Systemprofielr shows)

What about that VBIOS key ? I thought thats an old / overholed key and UseATIROM or UseNvidiaROM are the key now to use.

"Is there any reason to load the video BIOS if it hasn't been patched?"

Indeed also my main question. Also if some hardware near things like OC/UC, changing FAN speeds,... not working (cant work perhaps, not boot loaders fault), i am not sure if that option has real benefit.

First thank's people for great job

successful with my two "old" Asus boards

here no need of options for ROM revision to be recognized with rev354

injection with <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>Yes</string> in com.apple.Boot.plist

post-92099-1281593557_thumb.png

finder is much more fast with r354 compared to r300 and before

someone ?

I see many posts from people loading an unmodified video ROM extracted from their own video card (post #406 by rednous for example).

Is there any reason to load the video BIOS if it hasn't been patched?

Gringo, yes, you're right about loading modded video BIOS only if it's patched, otherwise it's doesn't make sense.

I tried the key VBIOS=Yes with r352 and saw the video revision reported correctly in the System Profiler. I think it's my fault to report the video revision injection working with the key VBIOS=Yes.

I suspect r352 will report this no matter VBIOS=Yes|No, i'll test at home later and will report. It seems r352 reads and reports the nVidia firmware version by default.

@all developers: Please, take some time to document the new feature(s) in the Chameleon CHANGES doc. It takes some time but will also save time and confusions to all contributors, users, testers. Thanx ;)

I have an issue with USB keyboard since revision 300. I need to replug it to make it work at boot.

I'm using an apple Keyboard with numeric keypad.

I've also Apple aluminum numeric keyboard and I'm not experiencing the bug you report. I remember mm67 posted a DSDT fix (DSDT fixes for Gigabyte boards thread) specially for our keyboard in order Sleep, Wake, etc. as far as i remember. I could post my DSDT later for reference.

Gringo, yes, you're right about loading modded video BIOS only if it's patched, otherwise it's doesn't make sense.

I tried the key VBIOS=Yes with r352 and saw the video revision reported correctly in the System Profiler. I think it's my fault to report the video revision injection working with the key VBIOS=Yes.

I suspect r352 will report this no matter VBIOS=Yes|No, i'll test at home later and will report. It seems r352 reads and reports the nVidia firmware version by default.

@all developers: Please, take some time to document the new feature(s) in the Chameleon CHANGES doc. It takes some time but will also save time and confusions to all contributors, users, testers. Thanx :(

Yep.

But its unclear what key we must use.

I never used VBIOS=Yes key. Only UseNvidiaROM=Yes which loads my rom (shown in systemprofiler, but NVClock didnt show clock changes)

to devs: Need we also VBIOS=Yes, together with UseNvidia / UseAtiROM=Yes or ... ?

THANKS

(PS: The video rom feature belongs to me to the not high needed features, so no worry if it doesnt work really (shown in systemprofiler but OC/UC clocks not changed)

Yep.

But its unclear what key we must use.

I never used VBIOS=Yes key. Only UseNvidiaROM=Yes which loads my rom (shown in systemprofiler, but NVClock didnt show clock changes)

to devs: Need we also VBIOS=Yes, together with UseNvidia / UseAtiROM=Yes or ... ?...

mitch, definitely. Maybe we'll get an enlightment from rekursor, or mozodojo :)

Reading Asere's explanation on using the UseNvidiaROM and UseAtiROM keys seems to me that those are the only keys needed to switch on the custom video rom loading, respectively for nVidia and ATI. There's nothing mentioned about VBIOS in regards to custom rom.

The big question now is, if an loaded video rom can change / setup gpu really different than the BIOS on the card.

The systemprofiler rom info is usefull, but that means NOT that something changed (clocks, Volts, Fan settings).

That only can be checked by using Nvclock (per loading that .kext). If nvclock shows same clocks , and the bios has different = loaded but NO resetup of the gpu settings.

Nvclock DL:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1246

Would be nice if some users can check clock changes (OC/UC) by comparing NVClock -i results with modded rom loaded / not loaded.

@all developers: Please, take some time to document the new feature(s) in the Chameleon CHANGES doc. It takes some time but will also save time and confusions to all contributors, users, testers. Thanx ;)

As promised to test VBIOS key with r352:

Removed the key and the video revision is reported correctly in the System Profiler again!

About VGA bios loading (please correct me if i'm wrong):

First, the best persons to answer your questions are Krazabu (and people who have worked on NVEnabler) and Kabyl (if i remember he has ported Krazabu's work to Chameleon).

Second, VBIOS setting allow (or not) chameleon to DUMP your VGA bios into the "device-properties" of OSX registry. In my opinion this is designed to dump easily your VGA bios in order to study/modify it.

Third, loading modded or alternate VGA BIOS (on NVidia, don't know on ATI) is helpfull when chameleon can not read it to define settings like NVCAP or VRAM size. Not sure it will help in any other ways

Please someone could verify my words.

Bye.

For ATi example -

I'm using DSDT code that tmongkol generated using bin data from ioregexplorer - the bin data presumably generated by ATI_init.

This is very cumbersome to have in DSDT - so surely this could be incorporated into an alternative VGA BIOS rom that could be loaded at boot to save reflashing? A good example for using this ?

Post #117

EDIT - Sorry more relevant post#310

D

For ATi example -

I'm using DSDT code that tmongkol generated using bin data from ioregexplorer - the bin data presumably generated by ATI_init. And did you try to use your HD5770 without any bin_image ?

This is very cumbersome to have in DSDT - so surely this could be incorporated into an alternative VGA BIOS rom that could be loaded at boot to save reflashing? A good example for using this ?

Post #117

EDIT - Sorry more relevant post#310

D

The bin data is available in ATI_init's info.plist, and i bet that you can copy it, then paste it in an hex editor, then save it and use it with Chameleon :) 99% sure.

Edit:

About VGA BIOS loading on NVidia, i'm pretty sure Apple's NVIDIA driver are not using the VBIOS from the registry, unlike ATI driver seems to do. On IOREG dumps from iMac running ATI you can see the bin_image.