Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

It's impossible to help you without knowing anything about your configuration and your hardware.

Model identifier is important, DSDT processor scope must be unmodified, Intel CPU is required, AppleLPC.kext must be loaded, appropriate CPU type override in smbios.plist (or none at all), etc etc. There is more, so read the whole thread.

I agree with Rek, it's better for compatibility to use a model identifier from a Mac that has the same CPU (type/family) as your actual CPU as opposed to faking your CPU type.

Sorry about that, i forgot it

my laptop is M1530 T9300

nvidia 8600M GT

4G Ram

its my DSDT, can anybody check it for me?

http://www.mediafire.com/?36ka8l6z1w563xm

i dont know how to check appleLPC.kext load or no? can you tell me? i use MP4.1 smbios.plist

Thank you for the interesting work.

Running rev325 and loading NullCPUPowerManagement my temps are near 10C lower, still have speedstepping AND can see voltage drop from 1.260 to 1.132 in VoodooMonitor. No voltage change w/o "Null..." Four P-States are generated, and none are associated with lower voltages.

I realize the intention here is "vanilla", and though it's laudable, once it's achieved isn't the efficient use of resources at least as important? rev325 identifies 4 P-States for my overclocked proc (and 4 different ones when it's stock), Snow manages my stepping, sleep works natively, and RAM is correctly identified. However, each P-State is paired with the same set voltage (1.260) and my temps run 10C hotter then experienced with "Null..." When "Null..." loads, AppleIntelCPUManagement still loads, and the 4 P-States are still paired with the same voltage, but a lower voltage exhibits at the lowest P-State (1.132) and my temps drop 10C. Sleep no longer functions without SleepEnabler, and my benchmarks improve 10-15%, but those are the only differences.

Apple's CPU management can be improved, it seems? Laptop owners may appreciate lower temps and longer battery life? I might be able to squeeze more speed from my overclocked proc without overheating? For me it's all about efficiency.

It is entirely possible I have cored the gourd and am experiencing anomalous results from "user error". I am curious. Attached is the "Null..." I've been using. Drop it in and see if you don't get lower temps and stepping and lower voltages with the slower P-States...

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

It's impossible to help you without knowing anything about your configuration and your hardware.

Model identifier is important, DSDT processor scope must be unmodified, Intel CPU is required, AppleLPC.kext must be loaded, appropriate CPU type override in smbios.plist (or none at all), etc etc. There is more, so read the whole thread.

I agree with Rek, it's better for compatibility to use a model identifier from a Mac that has the same CPU (type/family) as your actual CPU as opposed to faking your CPU type.

My hardware is almost identical to Nhung, except I have the T9500 Penryn, same as my buddies Real MacBook Pro late 2009, 2.6GHZ.

I even tried his mac version 5,3 into the smbios.plist resulting with the same LPC message.

This LPC issue seems to be plaguing all the Dell XPS M1330 and XPS M1530 users, that Brett Whinnen, ab__73 and many others cannot solve at this time.

The DSDT I am using is a non specific CPU (unmodified) version which I attached along with my SSDT tables, a few posts up.

I am hoping that there may be something we are overlooking or could it be the DELL Bios itself it causing this AppleLPC registration issue?

I remember some early Dell Laptop Bios were causing the mouse shuttering without passing the CPU=1 at boot which later versions of chameleon with more advanced scripting fixed.

Could it be that we are seeing a similar issue with the AppleLPC or not?

Attached below is my SMBIOS.plist, Ioreg and com.apple.Boot.plist files.

ioreg_SMBIOS_com.apple.Boot.plst.zip

Type M1530 DSDT into google. I get several hits on patched DSDTs for the M1530, try one of those, it might fix your restart issue. Hell, try all of them, compare, study, copy & paste, mix & match...Just remember that the processor scope must be unmodified if you want to use RC5 for power state switching.

my laptop is M1530 T9300 - i use MP4.1 smbios.plist

Don't use MacPro4,1 model identifier if you don't have a Nehalem CPU - and don't use a MacPro model identifier on laptop hardware!

Find a matching MacBook or MacBook Pro and use that instead. See post #377 on page 19 for more info.

Apple's CPU management can be improved, it seems? Laptop owners may appreciate lower temps and longer battery life? I might be able to squeeze more speed from my overclocked proc without overheating? For me it's all about efficiency.

Try looking at model identifiers to see if there's a better match for your hardware. This can really make a difference.

See post #377 on page 19 for more info.

Just remember that the processor scope must be unmodified if you want to use RC5 for power state switching.

On my Asus M50VM (nvidia 9600 gs, t9400 2.53 ghz c2d) spoofed as a MBP 5,5. without a ssdt can only achive 2 pstates and 2 cstates, with the 5 ssdt i extracted from linux, if i install all into extra folder will give me 5, but this will give me the cstate error on boot. (tried with my modded scope and original scope) if i just use the cpupm file as my ssdt (the only one out of my 5 ssdt) i get 3 c and p states and no errors. good enough for me.

thanks to all for your hard work!!

Hey oSxFr33k, do you have any problem with restart, i cannot restart, i used overboot.kext and openhaftrestart.kext, the problem still not fix

Use the DSDT from the link below and your shutdown, restart and sleep will function 100%.

That link is the place to go for the XPS M1330, XPS M1530 and M1730

The XPS M1330 DSDT also works on my Dell Latitude D830 which is nearly 100% the same motherboard and chipset as the M1330. The M1330 is the Dell Inspiron line while D830 is the equivalent Dell Latitude line.

Using the Non Specific CPU DSDT from the link below and with all the other usual fixes that have done to the DSDT over there, gives a near 100% MacBook Pro Clone.

I am not using any of the other kexts for Restart nor Sleep etc. They even tell you not to use them.

I am using the latest Mojo Chameleon, Latest FakeSMC with monitoring from the ProjectOsx forum, voodoomonitor, VoodooBattery, VoodooHDA, smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist with the appropriate scripts to take full advantage of Mojo's Chameleon.

Thats it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

You can also try not loading any at all - let the bootloader handle it and see what happens.

You enabled GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates right? The way I understand it (hopefully one of the devs will clarify), this is why you get two 'phantom' SSDTs, those are generated by the bootloader and passed on to the OS. On my system, Chameleon RC5 cannot get C-states working by itself, that's why I have to load the C-state SSDT tables.

Apple use Intel CPUs, there are no Mac model profiles that match with your hardware. Therefore it doesn't make any difference which one you use.

Even if you could get AppleLPC.kext to load, you can still not have 'native power management' in OS X on a PC with AMD CPU.

It works like in AsereBLN 1.19, instructions are here:

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=644

(Gringo Vermelho @ Aug 8 2010, 07:14 PM) You enabled GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates right? The way I understand it (hopefully one of the devs will clarify), this is why you get two 'phantom' SSDTs, those are generated by the bootloader and passed on to the OS. On my system, Chameleon RC5 cannot get C-states working by itself, that's why I have to load the C-state SSDT tables.

Wow thanks Gringo Vermelho my CPU Frequency lowers down to the lowest setting now without loading my own SSDT tables. Resting state is now 597 MHZ where it was 796 MHZ before the change.

LPC still not registering! Maybe some day!!

Thanks for the info really helped on the P-States.

It makes sense when you consider that OS X matches and loads power management settings by model identifier - not by CPU type. Take a look at /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Like kup I have X58 hardware, which is MacPro4,1.

However, in About This Mac it incorrectly shows as Intel core i7, where it should be Quad-Core Intel Xeon (trunk 334).

Like kup I have X58 hardware, which is MacPro4,1.

However, in About This Mac it incorrectly shows as Intel core i7, where it should be Quad-Core Intel Xeon (trunk 334).

I confirm that chameleon works and recognizes my X58 system,

without smbios.plist ...

Using the latest revision 330 (trunk), I just added a serial to smbios_pacher, and the system is correctly recognized with a MacPro4,1 a proper processor speed, RAM, and the proper QPI.

Good work!

Small note: I do not use the generators of P&C States on my system, but I use the SSDT tables.

Fabio

I confirm that chameleon works and recognizes my X58 system,

without smbios.plist ...

Using the latest revision 330 (trunk), I just added a serial to smbios_pacher, and the system is correctly recognized with a MacPro4,1 a proper processor speed, RAM, and the proper QPI.

Good work!

Small note: I do not use the generators of P&C States on my system, but I use the SSDT tables.

Fabio

Did you have to delete AppleTYMCEDriver.kext to use MacPro4,1?

I wanted to ask you something.

I was convinced that the "Serial Number (system): xxxxxxxxxxx" & "SMC Version (processor tray): X.XXXX"

was only available on dual-processor motherboards, I was wrong.

[b]Model Name:[/b] Mac Pro
[b]Model Identifier:[/b] MacPro4,1
[b]Processor Name:[/b] Quad-Core Intel Xeon
[b]Processor Speed:[/b] 2.66 GHz
[b]Number Of Processors:[/b] 1
[b]Total Number Of Cores:[/b] 4
[b]L2 Cache (per core): [/b]256 KB
[b]L3 Cache:[/b] 8 MB
[b]Memory:[/b] 16 GB
[b]Processor Interconnect Speed:[/b] 4.8 GT/s
[b]Boot ROM Version:[/b] MP41.0081.B03
[b]SMC Version (system):[/b] 1.39f5
[color="#ff0000"][b]SMC Version (processor tray):[/b] 1.39f5[/color]
[b]Serial Number (system):[/b] xxxxxxxxxxx
[color="#ff0000"][b]Serial Number (processor tray):[/b] xxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color]
[b]Hardware UUID:[/b] xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

I saw that other bootloader, using the key SMproccessortray inside smbios.plist for add this value for the processor tray (Serial number).

We could also use it on Chameleon 2 RC5?

Other cosmetic gadgets... I know.

Fabio

Try looking at model identifiers to see if there's a better match for your hardware. This can really make a difference.

See post #377 on page 19 for more info.

You've completely missed the point of my post. Suggest you actually read it and try to understand it before glibly responding. (I use an appropriate entry for a MacPro 3,1 in the REV key in my FakeSMC.)

I lost C-states, but P-states and temps stayed the same.

Voltages dropped by ~8mV according to VoodooMonitor.

Thank you. The results on two discrete installations may be unique to my system, or the product of user error. What are the specs of the system on which it was tried?

Noticed your edit. Temps may drop on average over time with the lower voltage?

Nope, no real change in temperature. Maybe 1 degree celsius...but it's still dipping to 39 degrees occasionally when idle after deleting NullCPUPM.

P45/ICH10R chipset, Core 2 Duo E8500 stepping E0, iMac9,1 model identifier, fakesmc napa 1.30f3, vanilla 10.6.4.

Speedstepping, C1E and C-state tech activated in the BIOS, no overclocking. Two case fans and a huge Zalman CPU cooler running at lowest possible RPM.

Maybe if I had worse cooling I'd have seen a difference in temps? Room temperature is "t-shirt and shorts", verging on "t-shirt and pants".

C-state SSDT override, P-states handled by Chameleon RC5.

How about the following changes to smbios_patcher.c instead?

case CPU_MODEL_NEHALEM: // Intel Core i7 LGA1366 (45nm)

return 0x0501; // Quad-Core Xeon

case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE: // Intel Core i7 LGA1366 (32nm) 6 Core (Gulftown, Westmere-EP, Westmere-WS)

case CPU_MODEL_WESTMERE_EX: // Intel Core i7 LGA1366 (45nm) 6 Core ???

return 0x????; // Sextuple-Core Xeon

Wow thanks Gringo Vermelho my CPU Frequency lowers down to the lowest setting now without loading my own SSDT tables. Resting state is now 597 MHZ where it was 796 MHZ before the change.

LPC still not registering! Maybe some day!!

Thanks for the info really helped on the P-States.

how did you do that?

how did you do that?

Don't load any of your own SSDT tables just your DSDT thats it. Look over my com.apple.Boot.plist which was attached a few posts above.

I enable Generate P and C states in the c.a.B.p.

For some reason loading my virgin SSDT tables makes the frequency start one step higher not sure why?

My basic mission now is to see why I cannot get AppleLPC to register and initialize C States.

I am not sure how important C state is if you run your laptop on AC and not battery most of the time like I do?

If you use your battery a lot then I suppose C State is important for you. From what I have learned so far C state is only really working when the PC is in a idle state, turning off or lowering certain voltages even more within certain areas of the CPU Cores lowering energy usage even more thus conserving even more battery life.

tongue twister :(

Mine is rarely idle.

Nope, no real change in temperature. Maybe 1 degree celsius...but it's still dipping to 39 degrees occasionally when idle after deleting NullCPUPM.

P45/ICH10R chipset, Core 2 Duo E8500 stepping E0, iMac9,1 model identifier, fakesmc napa 1.30f3, vanilla 10.6.4.

Speedstepping, C1E and C-state tech activated in the BIOS, no overclocking. Two case fans and a huge Zalman CPU cooler running at lowest possible RPM.

Maybe if I had worse cooling I'd have seen a difference in temps? Room temperature is "t-shirt and shorts", verging on "t-shirt and pants".

C-state SSDT override, P-states handled by Chameleon RC5.

Thanks for the information, Gringo. I suspect my inefficient 65nm workhouse Q6600 (REV G0, Stepping 11) magnifies the temp difference from the voltage change. The Q also has twice as many cores in the same space as your C2D E8500. I get the same relative temp differences whether overclocked or stock.

What may be of interest to someone running a laptop is the voltage drop: one might consider dropping in "Null..." with RC5 to lower their power consumption while operating. They still have to run SleepEnabler for a C State.