Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

Ah legend. ;)

Ok, so I'm gunna learn how to compile them myself now. What and how do I download all the required files from the trunk in one go?

EDIT: Ah, that file was rev 315. ;)

Also, I've just noticed my ram is incorrectly detected with this bootloader (was spot on, even when overclocked) with AsereBLK 1.1.9). It reads it as 1333MHz but it's actually 1651MHz.

Thanks dgobe for this contrib,

I integrated this detection for ix's cpus in r317,

I also added a round off to match real macs profiler info ;)

@team: this code uses pci.h code, it should be moved adequately into a new platform cpu busspeed attribute probably in cpu.c ...

Rek

It's confusing ;)

QPI speed is 4.8GHz, DMI speed is 2.5GT/s. Sysprofiler shows DMI 4.8GT/s, Geckbench shows bus speed 4.8GHz

It's confusing :)

QPI speed is 4.8GHz, DMI speed is 2.5GT/s. Sysprofiler shows DMI 4.8GT/s, Geckbench shows bus speed 4.8GHz

Are you sure Sysprofiler shows DMI speed ?

For me it looks like it displays the QPI.

Until now, I thought that the "Processor Interconnect Speed" was implemented in core ix processors as Quickpath Interconnect Speed which is QPI.

I also thought that DMI speed was implemented by recent ix entry level core ix processors that do not handle multi-processor capabilities (physical processors, not to be confused with a single multi-core processor).

I might be wrong though :)

Kup:

It's not hard. Don't be scared! :)

Install the latest version of xcode. It's on your Snow Leopard install DVD, or you can download it from Apple.

Make a new folder in your downloads folder and name it chameleon.

Open Terminal and type cd ~/downloads/chameleon

Then type svn co http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon

Wait for everything to download.

Open the folder, locate and doubleclick the xcode project for the version you want to build.

Click the top left where it says "debug i386" and select "release" from the drop down menu.

In xcode's build menu, click build. The binaries are built in (nameofbranch)/sym/i386.

Whenever you want to update to the latest source code, run terminal and type cd ~/downloads/chameleon

Then type svn update to download the latest source code.

Are you sure Sysprofiler shows DMI speed ?

For me it looks like it displays the QPI.

Until now, I thought that the "Processor Interconnect Speed" was implemented in core ix processors as Quickpath Interconnect Speed which is QPI.

I also thought that DMI speed was implemented by recent ix entry level core ix processors that do not handle multi-processor capabilities (physical processors, not to be confused with a single multi-core processor).

I might be wrong though :)

Yeh, maybe it's sysprofiler bug.

Im looking on GT/s, so it's looks like DMI, but the name "Processor Interconnect Speed" looks like QPI

:)

Ahhhh, brilliant stuff. :) I'll be able to keep up to date and test things out now. Thank you. :)

EDIT: Ok, so now I can test a few more builds and stuff, can anyone help me with the ram speed detection issue?

I think it might not be a mem speed issue but a cpu speed issue, as mem speed depend on it.

Sorry that I can't help right now on X58 chipsets, don't know enough about them. Note that you can still override the mem speed in smbios.plist. search in this forum for more info.

Ahhhh, brilliant stuff. :) I'll be able to keep up to date and test things out now. Thank you. :)

EDIT: Ok, so now I can test a few more builds and stuff, can anyone help me with the ram speed detection issue?

That's ok. I figured as much. :) I guess Asere's mem code is not open sourced? :)

No unfortunately, this is why we started this again for our open source chameleon. I miss that guy, but afterall we all do that for fun, and he might have been bored to spend so much of his spare time for so long.

Still, he worked really hard on chameleon and significantly contributed to the open source version that we permanently continue to make evolve. Too bad he didn't continue his nice work. Lots of good guys joined our team and chameleon has many more features now that the aserebln version. This version from asere, according to him, was the result of months of investigation. Here, we only spent few weekends for the mem detection code. The spd original implementation was the result of one week end of development effort by me. Then the pci reading addon permitting to detect better overcloked systems mem speed and characteristics was an old programing/adaptation effort by bs0d from our team, that I incorporated and updated since and again only a one day integration/programming effort, on my side.

Like many guys here in the team, I contribute to this project when I get some spare time (sharing my holidays between you guys and my family), so progress is slower that it could be. We probably need talented teenagers in the team ! :rolleyes:

maybe... other new stuff like this...

// defaults for a MacBook Pro core i3/i5/i7
// BootROM MBP61.0057.B09
static const SMStrEntryPair const sm_macbookpro_defaults[]={
{"SMbiosvendor",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMbiosversion",	"MBP61.88Z.0057.B09.1004161215"	},
{"SMbiosdate",		"04/04/2010"			},
{"SMmanufacter",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMproductname",	"MacBookPro6,2"			},
{"SMsystemversion",	"1.0"				}, // <-- SMC 1.58f16 ??
{"SMserial",		"SOMESRLNMBR"			},
{"SMfamily",		"MacBookPro"			},
{"SMboardmanufacter",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMboardproduct",	"Mac-F22586C8"			},
{ "",""	}
};

Fabio

EDIT

If is needed I have a full dump (from real macbookpro6,2 i7 2,66)

Having a quick look to the SMC version pb,

it looks like it's more a FakeSMC job than a job in the booter...

In FakeSMC, in the info.plist file, you have one smc key called 'REV'.

This key should permit you to change the smc version ...

Maybe our local fakesmc guru and contributor (mozodojo of course :( ) could help more on that one...

maybe... other new stuff like this...

// defaults for a MacBook Pro core i3/i5/i7
// BootROM MBP61.0057.B09
static const SMStrEntryPair const sm_macbookpro_defaults[]={
{"SMbiosvendor",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMbiosversion",	"MBP61.88Z.0057.B09.1004161215"	},
{"SMbiosdate",		"04/04/2010"			},
{"SMmanufacter",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMproductname",	"MacBookPro6,2"			},
{"SMsystemversion",	"1.0"				}, // <-- SMC 1.58f16 ??
{"SMserial",		"SOMESRLNMBR"			},
{"SMfamily",		"MacBookPro"			},
{"SMboardmanufacter",	"Apple Inc."			},
{"SMboardproduct",	"Mac-F22586C8"			},
{ "",""	}
};

Fabio

EDIT

If is needed I have a full dump (from real macbookpro6,2 i7 2,66)

I tried the latest rev 318

CPU recognition is fixed. My mobile Core i7 720QM is correctly detected as Core i7 instead of Core i5 as in earlier revisions.

Memory is correctly detected, including part number and serial number.

The instant reboot bug is fixed when trying to enable CState and PState on my mobile Core i7. But I still get:

SSDT with CPU C-States generated successfully

Unsupported CPU: P-States not generated !!!

The processor section of my dsdt is untouched:

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (CPU0, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU1, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU2, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU3, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU4, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU5, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU6, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

Processor (CPU7, 0x08, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}

}

After rev 318 I get 4xxx points in geekbench, before it was 10xxx

With P and C-states on and DropSSDT in my boot.plist.

But I always get P-states not generated !!!!

what can i do??

I'm using the Slice FakeSMC.kext (rev. 391) with the following plugins: FakeSMCIntelThermal, FakeSMCRadeon and FakeSMCSuperIO

See my systemspecs in my sig.

EDIT: see attachment for my DSDT.aml

EDIT 2: I removed P and C-states and DropSSDT from my boot.plist, and I get the full speed back! :D (10xxx points)

including working speedstep.

DSDT_GA_P55A_UD4_F12.aml.zip

Hi MacMan,

please report here the result of cpu-z (screen copy) with the cpu model extensive information,

then, if you have it (or maybe fabio ?) please report the cputype value in the ioregs of a real iMac i3.

it should then be easy to correctly detect your i3 (provided that we have the cputype and that 10.6.4 handle them, reminds me about the early days when first core ix imacs were produced with custom os versions :/),

thanks for your feedback and help :)

PS: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]+[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] rocks, great job folks !

The version is working great on my over clocked Core i5, CPU and RAM is recognized properly. On my Core i3, the RAM is recognized properly, but the CPU still comes up as a Core 2 Duo.

What can I do to help you with the Core i3 issue?

Having a quick look to the SMC version pb,

it looks like it's more a FakeSMC job than a job in the booter...

In FakeSMC, in the info.plist file, you have one smc key called 'REV'.

This key should permit you to change the smc version ...

Maybe our local fakesmc guru and contributor (mozodojo of course :) ) could help more on that one...

You are right, we need to mod fakesmc's info.plist in order to match latest iMac firmware rev.

corrected REV key:

<key>REV </key>
<data>
AVTzMAAD
</data>

corrected smc-version string:

<key>smc-compatible</key>
<string>smc-piketon</string>

Hi MacMan,

please report here the result of cpu-z (screen copy) with the cpu model extensive information,

then, if you have it (or maybe fabio ?) please report the cputype value in the ioregs of a real iMac i3.

it should then be easy to correctly detect your i3 (provided that we have the cputype and that 10.6.4 handle them, reminds me about the early days when first core ix imacs were produced with custom os versions :/),

thanks for your feedback and help :)

PS: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]+[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] rocks, great job folks !

Hi rekursor,

Here is the CPU-Z info and the cputype for a iMac i3 is 2305.

post-547876-1281190486_thumb.png

PS: Thanks for the kind words on [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]+[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

After rev 318 I get 4xxx points in geekbench, before it was 10xxx

With P and C-states on and DropSSDT in my boot.plist.

But I always get P-states not generated !!!!

what can i do??

I'm using the Slice FakeSMC.kext (rev. 391) with the following plugins: FakeSMCIntelThermal, FakeSMCRadeon and FakeSMCSuperIO

See my systemspecs in my sig.

EDIT: see attachment for my DSDT.aml

EDIT 2: I removed P and C-states and DropSSDT from my boot.plist, and I get the full speed back! :) (10xxx points)

including working speedstep.

Hy Edgar87, can you post your boot rev 318 or your actual boot, and your boot.plist/Smbios, for test in my i7 860, pleaseee

Regards!!!!!