[Tutorial] AMD 10.6.8 Retail Snow Leopard Guide!

sirbow2

298 posts in this topic

Hej!

I am back after several months :D

I was using my 10.5.4 lawlessppc and I wanted to try again to install 10.6.

I installed 10.5.8 ideneb 1.6 with the list of kexts given in this page. However I can only boot with at least -x and busratio otherwise it will not boot.

From this partition I installed 10.6.3 and finally was able to boot in mac os x!! I was so glad! I was always stuck at the acpi_smc_platform timed out and I think it was because of my 4870 not recognised. I removed the content of the IOPCImatch in the ATIRadeonX2000.kext because it contained plenty of device ids and I think it was clashing with the one in my ati4800controller.kext. I added evoenabler.kext. I finally got passed the acpi_smc_platform timed out to get a black screen with no signal. The computer did not even reboot. I removed the -x and instead of a black screen I had 10.6!

I was very happy to be able to boot into 10.6 but I keep having kernel panics though every now and then when I want to do heavy disk activity like installing a program.

I have installed the legacy_kernel-10.3.0 because the kernel I installed before was even worse.

I removed from my extra/extensions the appleatiata.kext and the jmicronATA.kext because I read that:

"I get a kernel panic during heavy disk activity

This is a known bug with certain ATA kexts in 64-bit mode (specially with more

than 4GB RAM)" in the Voodoo kernel user documentation pdf.

I still have these kexts in my extra/extensions

appleRTC

disabler

evoenabler

fakesmc

ioAHCIBlockStorageInjector

IONetworkFamily

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

platformUUID

RealtekR1000SL

I want to try to remove some kexts to see only the ones that I need in case one of those gives me the kernel panic.

I went in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports to see the panic logs

and this is the first part :

Thread 0: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x006ee2fa mach_msg_trap + 10

1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x006eea67 mach_msg + 68

2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00a1000f __CFRunLoopRun + 2079

3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00a0f0f4 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 452

4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00a0ef21 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97

5 mds 0x0000defc 0x1000 + 52988

6 mds 0x00005331 0x1000 + 17201

I attached the file in this post.

If anyone encountered frequent kernel panics in 10.6.3 I would be glad to hear some ideas of how to fix this.

I haven't tried installing the 10.6.4 because I am afraid that in the middle of the installation I will have a kernel panic and that I will have to reinstall 10.6 entirely because of the crash.

My config

Motherboard:GA-890GPA-UD3H

Cpu: phenom ii x4 955BE

Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333

Graphical card: ati4870 1GB

Sata hdd : on the sata 2

Sata dvd driver

Read alittle

put your HD on sata port 1 (should be blue)

you dont need any ati or ata kexts

or these

OpenHaltRestart

platformUUID

appleRTC

disabler

evoenabler

are you using my dsdt?

after doing this stuff test to see if you have any KP then update to 10.6.6

Read alittle

put your HD on sata port 1 (should be blue)

you dont need any ati or ata kexts

or these

OpenHaltRestart

platformUUID

appleRTC

disabler

evoenabler

are you using my dsdt?

after doing this stuff test to see if you have any KP then update to 10.6.6

Hello,

my hdd is on the sata3_1 port, I have changed the dsdt and removed the unnecessary kexts.

I have tried installing 10.6.4 combo update as a test but it stops at the very beginning with a kernel panic when the installer tries to create a temporary folder in /var/folders/zz/...

I tried installing as root to see if it was because of admin rights but it didn't change anything. My 10.6.3 system is still up running because the installation did not really start.

The temporary folder has been created though.

To avoid the kernel panic I have tried installing the combo update from my 10.5 partition but it needs to be launched from a 10.6 system. It would be cool to bypass this verification.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

First, great post, it helped me a lot! But I would like to know which fixes and hacks you applied to your dsdt, if possible because I don't have exactly the same MB.

It already works well with your dsdt but I would like to have the one from my MB!

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

First, great post, it helped me a lot! But I would like to know which fixes and hacks you applied to your dsdt, if possible because I don't have exactly the same MB.

It already works well with your dsdt but I would like to have the one from my MB!

Thank you in advance!

It's a DSDT for AMD general motherboards, so that's why it supports most other boards, because of it's similarities. The DSDT will most likely be the same. It won't be much different, It it works, I would just use that DSDT.

It's a DSDT for AMD general motherboards, so that's why it supports most other boards, because of it's similarities. The DSDT will most likely be the same. It won't be much different, It it works, I would just use that DSDT.

OK Thanks for the reply but I didn't find any thread with general amd dsdt!

Could you please tell me more about this (patches, ...) because I would like to understand what it contains!!

i just noticed that the two links in the sleep enabler update were bad -_- i fixed them, but the links in the actual guide for the same files were good, so np.

for some reason i wasnt getting email notificatons, so sorry for missing your questions, guigeek

let me know if you guys need anything added to the guide

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I tried following this guide but couldn't do it exactly, now I ran into some trouble. Here's my relevant specs:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro

AMD 1055t

XFX Radeon 5850

Basically what I did:

1. Install iAtkos v7

2. Follow the guide up to the reboot after installing Snow, install this, BIOS dump and all

Here's what I encountered:

- If GraphicsEnabler=Yes then black screen and GPU fans at 100%

- If GraphicsEnabler=No then

- Can't boot iAtkos anymore, black screen

- Can't boot Snow, kernel panic

I managed to boot iAtkos by wiping the EFI partition and reinstalling Chameleon that came with iAtkos.

Here's a picture of my kernel panic (clicky)

PANIC_th.jpg

From what I understand, I didn't install all the kexts I needed, please help me with this as I'm stuck in the darkness here.

i am installed İatkos V7, but not boooting, when green lizard came up and hitting mac icon sayin starting darwin and reset, i want to ask i have ubuntu installed on other partition, how can i update kernel, and other files on ubuntu have a any idea?

Hi, I tried following this guide but couldn't do it exactly, now I ran into some trouble. Here's my relevant specs:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro

AMD 1055t

XFX Radeon 5850

Basically what I did:

1. Install iAtkos v7

2. Follow the guide up to the reboot after installing Snow, install this, BIOS dump and all

Here's what I encountered:

- If GraphicsEnabler=Yes then black screen and GPU fans at 100%

- If GraphicsEnabler=No then

- Can't boot iAtkos anymore, black screen

- Can't boot Snow, kernel panic

I managed to boot iAtkos by wiping the EFI partition and reinstalling Chameleon that came with iAtkos.

Here's a picture of my kernel panic (clicky)

PANIC_th.jpg

From what I understand, I didn't install all the kexts I needed, please help me with this as I'm stuck in the darkness here.

wow sorry, for some reason i wasn't getting email notifications

do you have any acpi or apic options in your bios?

Could it have been a DSDT issue? I deleted the DSDT file from your package and now I'm getting a net.osrom.kext.Disabler KP but at least it's different now. I deleted the dsdt.aml because I read some stuff, didn't know that dsdts were unique before; and I do have a different mobo

Could it have been a DSDT issue? I deleted the DSDT file from your package and now I'm getting a net.osrom.kext.Disabler KP but at least it's different now. I deleted the dsdt.aml because I read some stuff, didn't know that dsdts were unique before; and I do have a different mobo

ahh yes the DSDT would prob cause issues on a different MOBO, thought i said in guide to not use it if you had a different mobo, oh well.

delete sleep enabler and see if it works, then go to netkas and get the latest sleep enabler/ nullcpumanagment and try again, if not then just dont use sleep enabler

hope it works

ahh yes the DSDT would prob cause issues on a different MOBO, thought i said in guide to not use it if you had a different mobo, oh well.

delete sleep enabler and see if it works, then go to netkas and get the latest sleep enabler/ nullcpumanagment and try again, if not then just dont use sleep enabler

hope it works

Ok, I'll try that and report back, I have some questions though:

- Where does it load kexts from if I have Chameleon on the EFI partition? From what I'm seeing it seems like it's both from EFI and the OS drive, is that right?

- Should I get a new dsdt or is it not necessary for it to at least boot?

- Every time I restart I have to manually set GraphicsEnabler=No; when I edit or delete it in com.apple.boot.plist it resets on reboot, any idea why's that?

Also thanks a lot man, you're being a huge help. I need OS X for work and this is a lifesaver, seriously.

UPDATE: I don't have a SleepEnabler on the SL install or on the EFI partition, this is what I have on the EFI partition right now:

IONetworkingFamily

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

UPDATE2: It seems to me that I need an ACPI/APIC kext. I got to the disabler panic when I deleted the AppleACPIPlatform kext; when I deleted the disabler I accidentally left behind I got "Unable to find driver for this platform: \~ACPI\~.\n~@/Users/nawcom/Builds/xnu-1504.9.17/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393"

When I restore AppleACPIPlatform I get a panic related to it.

Ok, I'll try that and report back, I have some questions though:

- Where does it load kexts from if I have Chameleon on the EFI partition? From what I'm seeing it seems like it's both from EFI and the OS drive, is that right?

- Every time I restart I have to manually set GraphicsEnabler=No; when I edit or delete it in com.apple.boot.plist it resets on reboot, any idea why's that?

Also thanks a lot man, you're being a huge help. I need OS X for work and this is a lifesaver, seriously.

UPDATE: I don't have a SleepEnabler on the SL install or on the EFI partition, this is what I have on the EFI partition right now:

IONetworkingFamily

fakesmc

NullCPUPowerManagement

UPDATE2: It seems to me that I need an ACPI/APIC kext. I got to the disabler panic when I deleted the AppleACPIPlatform kext; when I deleted the disabler I accidentally left behind I got "Unable to find driver for this platform: \~ACPI\~.\n~@/Users/nawcom/Builds/xnu-1504.9.17/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1393"

When I restore AppleACPIPlatform I get a panic related to it.

yes

in 10.6 osx resets the bios or something so you need a legacyRTC kext if you dont have the bios patch, (patch maybe already in your manufacturer bios, may not need correction/ kext.) so if you dont notice any weird bios things dont use a legacy kext or DSDT.

Which CABP are you modifying? chamelon uses the CABP in the EFI partition, not the one in OS so the OS has no effect.

i have sleep enabler in my guide, try it just to see if it fixes your issue. can go in /E/E (efi, extra, extensions)

;)

This is my 'extra' folder for 10.6.7 Snow kittey. As my motherboard is a little diffrent this contains some extra kexts (and I might have slightly changed the boot.plist too) that I found got my system running perfectly. I am also including the voodoo installer for my sound drivers as it may work better for some, as sirbow's one did not work for me.

These two might help some who are having trouble.

I used char r700, and the kernal provided by sirbow2.

Extra.zip

Voodoo_2.7.2.zip

ok, im asking for help back from you guys!!

i have a person try to get a GA-890GPA-UD3H REV2.1 to work.

He gets a "unable to find driver for ACPI" error when booting without safemode.

When booting with safemode he gets "Decryption hasn't succeeded yet, Patch_exec_obj_segment failed, map_segment failed" errors which repeat over and over again. also it says "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out" somewheres in between one of the repeating lines.

Specs:

OSX 10.6.3, Kernel 10.7

GA-890GPA-UD3H REV2.1

Phenom II X6 1055t

Audgiy sound card

Sata HDD

IDE DVD

Chameleon r700 Kabyl

Kexts: Nullcpu, Fakesmc, IONetworkingFamily

ACPI and APIC are on in bios settings are same as my mobo which works(Rev1.0).

latest bios and first bios doesn't make a difference.

putting ATI 5000 kexts in SLE doesn't help

removing Audigy and IDE DVD doesn't help

Tried different chameleon versions.

iAtkos S3V2 DVD boots and installs, but doesn't boot into OSX after isntalled

pics:

without safemode:

no_-x.jpg

With Safemode:

With32bit-1.jpg

With32Bit-2.jpg

Thanks guys!

Specs:

OSX 10.6.3, Kernel 10.7

Hello! I'm not an expert and have tried only one amd hackintosh until now but I had a similar problem (acpi platform or decryption...) and after trying different kernels(a lot of I must say, I don't know why!) it worked!

I think this could be caused by non matching versions between kernel and os (10.7.0 should be for 10.6.7, isn't it?)

That's what I can say!

hey man, first of all, nice tutor here, can you share your system profiler here ? sespecially the hardware, i need to ask you something, im running on my sister netbook whic is windows now...thanks

hey man, first of all, nice tutor here, can you share your system profiler here ? sespecially the hardware, i need to ask you something, im running on my sister netbook whic is windows now...thanks

what do you mean? all my specs are in this guide? i dont have access to my hack currently but i can still answer your question.