[Tutorial] AMD 10.6.8 Retail Snow Leopard Guide!

sirbow2

298 posts in this topic

Some things I noticed along the way:

Updating:

1. To use the new 10.8 kernel and 10.6.8 osx if you have already installed osx

2. Download the kernel(or latest current legacy kernel) from here:

Kernel-10.8.0.pkg.zip

3. Install update ( old kernel may need to be in place for update to work)

4. Overwrite your old kernel and with the new kernel and make sure names match between old and new.

5. Make sure these are the only kernel flags you have in your c.a.b.p: "arch=x86_64 busratio=XX -force64"

XX is your bus ratio

6. Cross fingers + reboot!

Want to create a bootable USB installer instead of from other OSX install?

1. Mount OS X install DVD image or disc. Go to Disk Utility.

2. Restore the mounted image to a blank and not needed 8GB(minimum) flash drive.

3. Install Chameleon to the USB like seen above for a HDD, but this time no EFI partition and install everything to the new USB partition.

4. Copy over the kernel, org.chamelon.plist thing(lol), smbois, DSDT, kexts, whatever you need to the appropriate folders on USB.

5. Set the USB partition as active(don't worry, it wont mess with your HDD)

__A. Find the correct disk number with: "diskutil list"

__B. Type in terminal(rdisk meaning a disk in general, and '0' meaning which disk): "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0"

__C. Type "p" to list partitions and see the USB install dvd partiton.

__D. ​Type "f 1" with "1" being the partiton number from step C. "1" is the first partiton.

__E. Finally type "write", "y", "exit" (enter after each)

6. Done!

If you get EFI invalid argument error use this command(may have to change disk0s1 for your own path): "fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1"

If you have DSMOS has arived error try: "arch=i386 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 -x -f -v" (also try it with pcirootuid as 0)

If you get java script errors during update of OS X, replace the kernel(maybe in root or EFI, not sure) with the current (the OS X version you are on now) legacy kernel, then after update has begun, put the new for ex 10.6.8 kernel in.

On some AMD mobos such as my 890 series or maybe its just gigabyte 8xx mobos that if you update to the latest bios you get a root device error but not on the earlier bios versions, so go back to the FC5 Bios!

For fast boot, free port 1 on MOBO and use port 0 for boot HD. Disable in BIOS AMD C1E(otherwise it wont boot)

You MUST use the sata3 ports ( blue connectors on the mobo) on the 890GPA-UD3H mobo for osx, it doesn't like the SATA2 ports (the white connectors on the mobo) for some reason. This maybe the reason for some peoples root device error. Although you will still have SATA2 speed (3gbps).

Replace iousbfamaily.kext with the following: IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT may fix USB/sleep issues

PRE-INSTALL INFO:

Mobo: GA-890GPA-UD3H

CPU: Phenom II x6 1055T (all six cores working)

GFX: Radeon HD 5850 (Fully Working), using newest Chameleon

Audio: ALC892 (partially working) Uses a modified VodooHDA, line out headphones and mic working for sure. VoodooHDA has to go in /S/L/E, i have my voodoo in the zip at the end will probably work for you.

Memory: 4GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 (works)

Sata 2: working

Sata 3: not tested

HDD: 1TB samsung F3 (works)

Bluray drive: DVD, CD works, haven't tried Bluray but im guessing it will work with a BLuray Player software

USB2: works

USB3: no support in OS X yet

Ethernet: realtek 811D works with IONetworkingFamily.Kext in /E/E w/ r1000 kext

Sleep: may work, try IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT

FireWire: works

DSDT: Contains UHCI/EHCI usb fix, orange sata fix and many other that i cant remember...

Bios: AHCI on, C1E off, maybe add more if i remember...

Install Guide:

I Used my Previous iDeneb 10.5.8 to install 10.6 to another partition on my HD. note: Retail installs require GUID partitioning.

I used these options in the ideneb installer

- Chameleon 2
 - 9,5,0 Kernel Voodoo
 - Apple Decrypt
 - Disabler
 - DSDT Patch
 - Time machine fix
 - OpenHalt Restart
 - About this Mac fix
 - System profiler Fix
 - IOUSB Family Fix
 - Seatbelt Fix
 - Voodoo USBEHCI
 - Apple Azalia Audio
 - AHCI SATA IDE
 - Apple ATI ATA
 - Jmicro ATA
 - RTL8111
 - Voodoo Power

1. Put your snow leopard dvd in your DVD drive, or mount the iso

2. Use the "open" command in terminal to open the OSinstall.mpkg on the install DVD

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/Packages/osinstall.mpkg

3. Follow the installer instructions and install to a empty partition

4. Install chameleon to your EFI partiton, i used the latest from kexts.com

Erase EFI Partition:
   diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1

Install boot0 to the MBR:
   ./fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Install boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition:
   dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Chameleon code has improved alot since RC4, fancy video boot files may not be needed. Dont forget to double check your disk0s1 etc make sure they are the right partition. disk0s1 is saying first HD, first Partition. The EFI partition is always the first partition but it may not be on the first HD.

5. Get all the right kexts for your system, some of what you may need will be in the archives at the end of the guide kexts.com, also a helpful /S/L/E kext installer: Kext Helper b7

6. Mount the EFI partion, nice tool here: EFI Mounter

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
   mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
   if you get a invalid argument error use this command:
   fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1

7. Create the Extra folder in the root of the EFI partion and Extension folder inside of the Extra folder

8. smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist, DSDT.aml and the Themes folder go in the Extra folder

Kexts go in the Extension folder of EFI. A little utility to help with this: Chameleon Wizard

9. Kernel goes in root of EFI

__A. Download the kernel from here: Kernel-10.8.0.pkg.zip

__B. Overwrite your old kernel and rename the new kernel to match the name of your old kernel.

__C.Make sure your boot flags are: "bt(0,0)mach_kernel arch=x86_64"

__D. Reboot, select retail HD

__E. Get amdinsn patcher from here: amd_insn_patcher.zip

__F. Copy amd_insn_patcher to /usr/bin of your retail HD

__G. Then go to terminal and type:

cd /usr/bin/

sudo amd_insn_patcher /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents.patched

sudo mv /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents.patched /System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents

and finally;

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

__H. make sure your boot flags are the following before restarting(going to 64Bit mode):

"arch=x86_64 busratio=XX -force64" XX is your busratio

Note: Some say to do these patches below in 64bit, but i have done in 32bit with no issues.

cd /usr/bin/

sudo amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched

sudo mv /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib.patched /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

sudo amd_insn_patcher /usr/lib/dyld /usr/lib/dyld.patched

sudo mv /usr/lib/dyld.patched /usr/lib/dyld

and finally;

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache

__I. Install OS X update

__J. Reboot

__K. Select the retail install from the chameleon selection's and hope it works

10. Success! Go Play!

Afterwards:

1. For sleep to possibly Work: replace iousbfamaily.kext (//S/L/E) with the following: IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT

2. For USB3 put in //S/L/E CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext

3. Kernel placement and path:

Specifying alternate(other than OS X HDD root) place of OS X kernel:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
   <plist version="1.0">
   <dict>
	   <key>Kernel</key>
	   <string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel arch=x86_64 busratio=14 -force64</string>
	   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	   <string></string>
	   <key>Timeout</key>
	   <string>5</string>
	   <key>device-properties</key>
	   <string></string>
   </dict>
   </plist>

The code below is telling chameleon to use the kernel mach_kernel in the root of the EFI partition(see this uses 0 for both first partitions and HDD numbers).

<key>Kernel</key>
   <string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel</string>

S-L-E+EFINEW.zip

• Like 1

all the sata's are set to AHCI and im using a modbin 10.4 kernel for osx 10.6.4

IS There a modbin 10.4 idont think

the avilable one is 10.0

and what about acpi 2.0 , acpi apic on bios settings

thanks

i have phenoem 2 x4 955

and motherboard asus m4a78t-e 790gx/sb750

snow cant read my system correct and give panic before reading io acpi :D

IS There a modbin 10.4 idont think

the avilable one is 10.0

and what about acpi 2.0 , acpi apic on bios settings

thanks

i have phenoem 2 x4 955

and motherboard asus m4a78t-e 790gx/sb750

snow cant read my system correct and give panic before reading io acpi :(

i checked again the kernel i downloaded was "legacy_kernel-10.4.0" (but maybe its not a modbin kernel idk where i got it already)

ill check my bios in a bit

EDIT: sorry i dont have any ACPI/APIC options in my bios. if you post a pic of what it does, the error, in verbose (-v) mode on boot up and ill see if i can help

i checked again the kernel i downloaded was "legacy_kernel-10.4.0" (but maybe its not a modbin kernel idk where i got it already)

ill check my bios in a bit

EDIT: sorry i dont have any ACPI/APIC options in my bios. if you post a pic of what it does, the error, in verbose (-v) mode on boot up and ill see if i can help

20072010051n.jpg

this is the panic

the step next to mac frame.........

is io acpi panic occur

i dont know why this occur on snow leopard 10.6.3

but leopard 10.5.8 work perfect

i think i got this error before, im not sure though. when i wanted to boot install dvd i had to put the sata's in ide mode then when i wanted to boot from the HD install i had to switch it to ACHI

i think i got this error before, im not sure though. when i wanted to boot install dvd i had to put the sata's in ide mode then when i wanted to boot from the HD install i had to switch it to ACHI

sorry i dont understand you clearly

idont think sata mode cause panic only will give you still waiting for root

icant change sata type because i have raid0 for windows by two HD

and additional HD i set it to ide mode that my work on it for osx

make sure that i get ideneb 10.5.8 work with this configuration

it was with the above computer specs (in the guide)

oooh i think i gotit!!! , go to S/L/E/ and delete appletymcedriver i think, try it and see if it works :D

Its my hundredth post YAY :D:D:thumbsup_anim:

Congratulations for post 100 :D

the same :D panic after deleting it

what kexts may cause panic :D

say them and iwil back up them :)

after search the fourm for "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform iopcifamily ioacpifamily" which you could have done, i found that cpus=2 will fix it.

what cpu do you have how many cores?

my cpu is 4 cores

i tried this but no thing

my mother board i update it with new bios conteniously the new bios support 6 cores

i will downgrade it to before 6 cores support and will see what will happen :rolleyes:

i didnt see aproblem that cant i solve it like this :wacko: i spend two week on it and no thing new the same panic

Sirbow2 I have the same setup as you but I can't even install Leopard. Using my old computer with leopard I tried restoring the Snow Leo image to an external HD and then tried booting on my new computer but to no avail. I downloaded Hazard's iso and burned it but it wouldn't boot either. Basically when I choose the cd in the darwin bootloader a couple of lines load and then it reboots. I have the same mobo and cpu as you.

i think it is because you didnt tell chameleon to use the amd 10.6.4 kernel instead of the vanilla kernel.

this is what my com.apple.boot.plist looks like

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

the text below makes chameleon use mach_kernel form the root of my EFI partition, mach_kernel for me is the amd legacy kernel for 10.6.4

<key>Kernel</key>

if you change the (0,0) part of <key>Kernel</key><string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel</string> it will change where it looks for the different kernel, 0,0 means HD0 partition0

EDIT\ another Q, did you restore the retail DVD to the new HD from your old computer or did you install snow leo to the new computer HD using your old computer?

I did all of that and it still reboots after a couple of lines, even after I add all possible bootflags known to man. And I restored the retail dvd to an external hd but it did just rebooted so then I used my old computer and put in my new internal hd and then I restored to that and it didn't work on either my new computer or my old one. I'm worried im going to be stuck with Windows 7 =[

Edit: Now I'm getting "error code: 0x00000002" before boot

ok,

1. show me a pic of the few lines before it reboots

2. try installing snowleo to your new computer HD using the method in my guide above, instead of just restoring the dvd to the HD

3. by the 0x000000002 error you mean when you boot windows?, if so you just pop in your win7 dvd and do a really simple boot repair process(leaving all your data intact of course)

Ok I did everything you did and now when I get to the chameleon screen and choose the snow leopard hd it shows the apple logo for a brief second and then it restarts. I'm thinking kernel problem but I don't know considering I have the exact same mobo and cpu as you.

from an earlier post by me:

i think it is because you didnt tell chameleon to use the amd 10.6.4 kernel instead of the vanilla kernel.

this is what my com.apple.boot.plist looks like

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

the text below makes chameleon use mach_kernel form the root of my EFI partition, mach_kernel for me is the amd legacy kernel for 10.6.4

<key>Kernel</key>

if you change the (0,0) part of <key>Kernel</key><string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel</string> it will change where it looks for the different kernel, 0,0 means HD0 partition0

it is the same exact problem, it happened to me before i added <key>Kernel</key>

<string>bt(0,0)mach_kernel</string> to my com.apple.boot.plist