[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

good day

my SL installation fails when it comes to ~ "10 mins left"

saying the same as here:

rebel-efi-install-failed.jpg

and well - i don't know how to do that:

3. Select the USB Drive

4. Type in -x -v and then press Enter

i select the usb drive @ Please select boot device

and where should i type -x -v? the mac os installer just starts

thank you

roman

good day

my SL installation fails when it comes to ~ "10 mins left"

saying the same as here:

and well - i don't know how to do that:

3. Select the USB Drive

4. Type in -x -v and then press Enter

i select the usb drive @ Please select boot device

and where should i type -x -v? the mac os installer just starts

thank you

roman

I am the same place where you are, but i can help you with where you should type -x and -v.

After you press F8, and select your USB,a myHack screen loads. her you should press a "anykey", quickly orelse it will load your usbpen without options. If you press anykey, you get a screen where you can choose all your drives. Here select your "Mac OS X Install DVD" and simpliy press -x -v and then enter.

After you press F8, and select your USB,a myHack screen loads. her you should press a "anykey", quickly orelse it will load your usbpen without options. If you press anykey, you get a screen where you can choose all your drives. Here select your "Mac OS X Install DVD" and simpliy press -x -v and then enter.

thank you for the tip, but...

everything freezes if i "press any key to enter startup options"

the progress bar (which goes from right to left above the "press any...") stops, nothing happens then

Hej !

First of all I have tried several methods to install mac os on my pc. But with your tutorial it’s the first time the installation finishes!! So I was so glad!!

The tutorial is quite easy that’s great!!

My configuration is:

Asus P5Q pro

Core 2 duo e8400

HDD 1TB

ATI 4870 1GB

I flashed the bios with the modified bios P5Q-ASUS-PRO-2102-by-smith.

I used the installation with myHack and at first I put the kexts you gave in the extension folder in extra.

The installation finishes and when I click on restart, the computer reboots.

I had to use the option –v to understand why I got the grey screen with the apple logo and a greyed spinning wheel underneath hanging.

I don’t know if there is a big difference between changing the kext in the extension folder and then reinstalling mac os or just trying to start mac os with the different kext ?

As I didn’t really see any difference, I tried different things, at first by reinstalling each time with the different kexts or by just changing the kexts and trying to start mac os.

I need the kext evOreboot.kext otherwise when the installation finishes it will not reboot by itself.

If I put the NullCPUPM.kext I get the same error as: omgCAKE

Whether I have the fakesmc.kext or not:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

If I don’t put the NullCPUPM.kext I get:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData – _CST evaluation failed

I googled both.

For timed out:

I found that :

* Use fakesmc.kext and you will get past the error.

For evaluation failed:

* Patch your dsdt.

* it’s the ati4870 graphic card’s fault. So I tried with the evOenabler.kext but when I start with this kext and that I arrive at the line acpi_smc_plugin the system reboot automatically.

* If I put the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext for ati 48xx series, nothing happens.

* If I put the appleintelCPUPM.kext from my macbook I just get in all the lines at the beginning : AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete.

* I also tried the IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext from my macbook because the acpi_smc_PlatformPlugin.kext is inside.

To sum things up, I can’t get past this acpi_smc_PlatformPlugin error no matter what I do.

I tried to start with the options –v –x –f cpus=1 but nothing will do I’m stuck at this line .

Weird don’t you think ? But I am relieved I am not the only one to get this error !

Like omgCAKE we both have an asus p5q pro and an ati radeon 4870. Would it really come from the graphic card ?

I have read that the ideneb v1.4 has a patch in it that can fix the “acpi_smc_plugin problem” but I don’t know what they did. I have downloaded the ideneb and I want to try it just in case. Maybe i will find something.

If anyone has another idea to solve this problem…

Thanks anyway for the great tutorial.

same problem

I have q9550 p5q deluxe 8gb ram sata hdd and ati 4870 and I cant get that passedtried all of the above too... I'm really frustrated.. please help :(

You need to use NullCPUpowermanagement.kext in order to get rid of that issue. Copy that kext to the Extra > Extension folder and then try it

I already have this still the same problem

I got it working. :(

I have a retail dvd so i used this guide instead

here

I sued it untill osx was installed and i could boot up with the disk. Then i used the rest of the steps from this guide, and made it work flawless:) The only thing i need working now is my sound, will figure that out tomorrow.

same problem

I have q9550 p5q deluxe 8gb ram sata hdd and ati 4870 and I cant get that passedtried all of the above too... I'm really frustrated.. please help :(

I already have this still the same problem

Use FakeSMC 2.5 instead of the fakeSMC I have included in the package and then try it out....

ok, finally i made SL to be installed

but when i try to bootload it - it doesn't

i just have an apple logo + the "clock" turns round,

i use chameleon bootloader

and i can't use the original myHack bootloader - it freezes the system when i "press any key to enter startup options"

ps: P5Q-EM

without entering the usb-bootloader it just says "missing operation system"

Ok this is the kernel panic I get from booting with just -v, looking through it seems to be related to the sound I think, any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks thade

SANY0038.jpg

SANY0036.jpg

OK so I've now got snow leopard up and running (as long as I boot in safe mode -x, before the update it would boot fine), updated to 10.6.3, 1600x1200 display, internet working but still no sound! My ASUS P5q Premium uses the ad2000b sound chip but dispite following numerous guides I'm still without sound.Accessing itunes and attempting to play a track the timer doesn't even start as though it isn't even playing? not sure if this is an itunes problem or sound issue.not sure either if its just a case of having 2 conflicting drivers running together, is there a screen capture app so I can post my kexts to see if anything stands out?

all the best thade

I did everything as explained but when i try to boot from my external hard drive it just says "boot0: error". I'm trying with an asus p5q pro.

thanks in advance

Try PCEFI 10.6 or Chameleon and then try to boot from the External HDD

OK so I'm coming close to having everything running, just have some small problems.

Firstly I seem to have got the P5Q Premium onboard AD2000b sound issue sorted using this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=217693

and selecting AC97 in the BIOS on my P5Q Premium.

OK so booting,

letting snow Leopard boot as normal (just let the bootloader do its thing)I get a slow boot, first a grey screen, then this blue screen for about 1 min

SANY0041.jpg

then this strange blocky screen for a few seconds

SANY0042.jpg

then the system starts up looking normal.....but

SANY0043.jpg

theres nothing in the top right (time, eject,time machine etc.)

SANY0044.jpg

I can start itunes and I can play a track with sound, but if I try to access itunes store or finder even system preferences, any app I think I get the spinning rainbow wheel! and have to power off (tried leaving for hours but just stays on)

SANY0046.jpg

SANY0045.jpg

Ok so second option, if i boot using either -x -v or just -v, it boots faster(-x) straight from grey to blue to desktop no blocky screeen (via password).

this time in the top right I have the clock etc.

SANY0050.jpg

working itunes store

SANY0052.jpg

working safari

SANY0056.jpg

but no sound,in itunes timer counter doesn't move either but speaker shows sound coming out, don't know if this is because its in safe mode?

SANY0054.jpg

so anyone got any ideas as to whats going on..any help would be appreciated, thade

ASUS P5Q Premium

Modded 2001 BIOS by Juzzi

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz

4GB DDR2 800MHz OCZ

2X ATi HD4850

2XWD74GB Raptors 2XWD1TB 2XWD500GB 2XWD640GB EXT

So i have successfully installed Snow Leopard updated to 10.6.3 using the guide. Thank you for posting this. It has made this process a breeze. The one think that I am missing is audio. I have a P5Q Pro Turbo with VIA VT1708S audio. I have tried all of the voodooHDA.kext files and have only been able to make the audio card visible in the System Preferences, but still no functioning audio. In order to get the audio drive visible I deleted AppleHDA.kext and installed voodooHDA.kext Any one have this issues or does anyone have any ideas. So close!

My system...

Motherboard - P5Q Pro Turbo

Processor - Intel Q9400 2.66 Quad Core

Video Card - XFX Geforce 9800 GTX

Memory - 4 GB

WIFI card - Linksys WMP300N\

Thank you in advance.

So i have successfully installed Snow Leopard updated to 10.6.3 using the guide. Thank you for posting this. It has made this process a breeze. The one think that I am missing is audio. I have a P5Q Pro Turbo with VIA VT1708S audio. I have tried all of the voodooHDA.kext files and have only been able to make the audio card visible in the System Preferences, but still no functioning audio. In order to get the audio drive visible I deleted AppleHDA.kext and installed voodooHDA.kext Any one have this issues or does anyone have any ideas. So close!

My system...

Motherboard - P5Q Pro Turbo

Processor - Intel Q9400 2.66 Quad Core

Video Card - XFX Geforce 9800 GTX

Memory - 4 GB

WIFI card - Linksys WMP300N\

Thank you in advance.

Did you try the following threads....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194874

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138493

Dear friends,

some time ago I updated my system to 10.6.2. I didn't follow this tutorial as it was not there at that time. My system is working except for the sleep. System goes to sleep but it wakes up immediately. I noticed that at the rebooot some leds are lit up on the graphic card. I have ATI4850. Motherboard is P5Q. Can someone guide me how to fix this problem. What do I need to check, in which order, etc. I tried several kexts and I guess perhaps I need to remove something first. I really tried many things but with no success. Currently I have the following things in my E/E:

- EvOreboot.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

I have the following in the S/L/E:

- AppleHDA.kext

- AttansicL1eEthernet.kext

- VoodooHDA.kext

- and only god knows what else :)

Audio, network and graphic is working fine.

Regards,

Igor

I've just ordered 2x1TB hard drives, so i have three identical drives. Is this possible?

-Disk 1: Windows 7 (OS & Applications) (140GB @ NTFS) /// Media (All sorts, games etc) (800GB @ FAT32)

-Disk 2: OS X SL 10.6.2 (OS & DAW Music Apps) (440GB @ Journaled) /// Docs & Downloads (500GB @FAT32)

-Disk 3: DAW Audio Files/Samples & System Backup (For Logic & Pro Tools primarily) (940GB @ FAT32)

My concerns are so:

-How much security do i loose by having FAT32 along side a Windows system? (i.e. Disk 1), and is there any performance loss? I've not used FAT32 for years. Would you make all of Disk 1 NTFS, and not be concerned with OS X not being able to see it? (or can it see it, but just not write to it?)

-Can i move my main folder with my documents and settings/downloads etc to another drive on OS X? i.e the second partition on Disk 2 that is also FAT32, or would it be faster being OS X Journaled?

-I'm going to have to have Disk 3 as FAT32 if i want to record audio to it from my DAW correct?

And the biggest question of all, how easy is it to dual boot? I'll be starting afresh on Thursday hopefully.

Cheers again.

hello, thanks for your guide

i had follow until step 6

however, after i erase the disk and install,

after 10 minute or longer,

it show installation failed

mac cant install on this computer...

100520103190.jpg

100520103191.jpg

i try to reinstall again and view the installer log with show error only

then i notice that the log show:

Install failed: The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "MAC". Try selecting your disk using the Startup disk utility.

100520103194.jpg

can i know what format need to install mac os? ( mac os extended or?)

my current hard disk got 4 partition

it's partition map scheme is master boot record

is this the problem make me installation failed?

can i install mac os on it without format the whole hard disk?

because my win 7 system still at partition 1

now i planning to boot back my win7,

but when i boot the hard disk

it show: Missing operating system

OMG... now my desktop is death zzz

help me please ><

thanks for ur guide alot!!!

Thanks for the Guide.

I'm getting to a point in the install...after "customize" and selecting the disk to install onto, i click install. It starts the installation, saying i have 26 minutes left. Then after about 30 seconds, i get a message that says install failed, mac osx could not be installed on your computer, the instaler could not copy the necessary support files.

When i look in the installer log, the last messages are "Failed to verify iChat.pkg" and "Failed to download package from file://localhost/system/Installation/Packages/iChat.pkg and no alternate source.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have the P5QC with bios mod'd by smith.

thanks

I've just ordered 2x1TB hard drives, so i have three identical drives. Is this possible?

-Disk 1: Windows 7 (OS & Applications) (140GB @ NTFS) /// Media (All sorts, games etc) (800GB @ FAT32)

-Disk 2: OS X SL 10.6.2 (OS & DAW Music Apps) (440GB @ Journaled) /// Docs & Downloads (500GB @FAT32)

-Disk 3: DAW Audio Files/Samples & System Backup (For Logic & Pro Tools primarily) (940GB @ FAT32)

My concerns are so:

-How much security do i loose by having FAT32 along side a Windows system? (i.e. Disk 1), and is there any performance loss? I've not used FAT32 for years. Would you make all of Disk 1 NTFS, and not be concerned with OS X not being able to see it? (or can it see it, but just not write to it?)

-Can i move my main folder with my documents and settings/downloads etc to another drive on OS X? i.e the second partition on Disk 2 that is also FAT32, or would it be faster being OS X Journaled?

-I'm going to have to have Disk 3 as FAT32 if i want to record audio to it from my DAW correct?

And the biggest question of all, how easy is it to dual boot? I'll be starting afresh on Thursday hopefully.

Cheers again.

1. You can see all the drives in Snow Leopard even if it is NTFS..... If they are not visible you can go to Finder > Preferences and select Hard Disks.... You can also read and write if you install MacFuse and NTFS-3G.....

2. NTFS or FAT 32...they both are slower in Mac.....

hello, thanks for your guide

i had follow until step 6

however, after i erase the disk and install,

after 10 minute or longer,

it show installation failed

mac cant install on this computer...

100520103190.jpg

100520103191.jpg

i try to reinstall again and view the installer log with show error only

then i notice that the log show:

Install failed: The installer could not start up the computer from the disk "MAC". Try selecting your disk using the Startup disk utility.

100520103194.jpg

can i know what format need to install mac os? ( mac os extended or?)

my current hard disk got 4 partition

it's partition map scheme is master boot record

is this the problem make me installation failed?

can i install mac os on it without format the whole hard disk?

because my win 7 system still at partition 1

now i planning to boot back my win7,

but when i boot the hard disk

it show: Missing operating system

OMG... now my desktop is death zzz

help me please ><

thanks for ur guide alot!!!

The Format is Mac OX Extended Journled

MBR is Fine....It should work

Yes you can install Mac without formatting...You should install Mac in Primary Partition not Logical Drive

If you are not able to boot into Windows 7 then download Parted Magic and boot with it and then give windows 7 drive a Boot Flag..... and then you will be able to boot into Win 7

Thanks for the Guide.

I'm getting to a point in the install...after "customize" and selecting the disk to install onto, i click install. It starts the installation, saying i have 26 minutes left. Then after about 30 seconds, i get a message that says install failed, mac osx could not be installed on your computer, the instaler could not copy the necessary support files.

When i look in the installer log, the last messages are "Failed to verify iChat.pkg" and "Failed to download package from file://localhost/system/Installation/Packages/iChat.pkg and no alternate source.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have the P5QC with bios mod'd by smith.

thanks

Maybe the image is corrupt..... verify the image using Disk Utility

The Format is Mac OX Extended Journled

MBR is Fine....It should work

Yes you can install Mac without formatting...You should install Mac in Primary Partition not Logical Drive

If you are not able to boot into Windows 7 then download Parted Magic and boot with it and then give windows 7 drive a Boot Flag..... and then you will be able to boot into Win 7

Maybe the image is corrupt..... verify the image using Disk Utility

thanks ur speedy reply!!!

how can i know tat is primary partition or logical driver?

can set at disk utility?

do u know y will failed to install mac os?

thanks ur reply and guide!!!