[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

Yes, patch your HPET, RTC and CPU aliases in DSDT manually, then place DSDT.aml on the media you use to boot into the Snow Leopard installer.

What motherboard do you have? Most (if not all) of the P5Q series boards have two BIOS chips and can restore your BIOS automatically if it becomes corrupted (marketing names are "ASUS Crash-Free BIOS" or "ASUS Die Hard BIOS"). You can also boot from the CD that came with the motherboard and it will flash the BIOS automatically. There is very little, if any danger.

I have a ~two year old Asus P5QL-EM and the bios I downloaded:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HXHA980M P5QL EM Asus P3 P5G43 0409_by smith@@.ROM.zip 630.99 KB

Doesn't appear to work. The built-in bios flashing utility says it has the wrong ROM ID. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Scratch that, I found a bios that works. However, my video doesn't show up when the installer should be running, just a black/blank screen. I have a GeForce GTX 260. I tried it with just the suggested kexts and I added NVEnabler and then NVInject to no avail. Suggestions? Thanks

It seems that no matter what I try, I cannot get passed:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I am using the Juzzi 2102 BIOS revision.

Followed some of the pointers from this thread and others. Tried default FakeSMC.kext from installer. Tried all key replacements mentioned.

ASUS P5Q Pro

Intel C2D Wolfdale 3.0

4 GB G.Skill (2x2GB)

USB keyboard/mouse

ATI Radeon HD4870 512 MB

Hej !

First of all I have tried several methods to install mac os on my pc. But with your tutorial it’s the first time the installation finishes!! So I was so glad!!

The tutorial is quite easy that’s great!!

My configuration is:

Asus P5Q pro

Core 2 duo e8400

HDD 1TB

ATI 4870 1GB

I flashed the bios with the modified bios P5Q-ASUS-PRO-2102-by-smith.

I used the installation with myHack and at first I put the kexts you gave in the extension folder in extra.

The installation finishes and when I click on restart, the computer reboots.

I had to use the option –v to understand why I got the grey screen with the apple logo and a greyed spinning wheel underneath hanging.

I don’t know if there is a big difference between changing the kext in the extension folder and then reinstalling mac os or just trying to start mac os with the different kext ?

As I didn’t really see any difference, I tried different things, at first by reinstalling each time with the different kexts or by just changing the kexts and trying to start mac os.

I need the kext evOreboot.kext otherwise when the installation finishes it will not reboot by itself.

If I put the NullCPUPM.kext I get the same error as: omgCAKE

Whether I have the fakesmc.kext or not:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

If I don’t put the NullCPUPM.kext I get:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData – _CST evaluation failed

I googled both.

For timed out:

I found that :

* Use fakesmc.kext and you will get past the error.

For evaluation failed:

* Patch your dsdt.

* it’s the ati4870 graphic card’s fault. So I tried with the evOenabler.kext but when I start with this kext and that I arrive at the line acpi_smc_plugin the system reboot automatically.

* If I put the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext for ati 48xx series, nothing happens.

* If I put the appleintelCPUPM.kext from my macbook I just get in all the lines at the beginning : AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete.

* I also tried the IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext from my macbook because the acpi_smc_PlatformPlugin.kext is inside.

To sum things up, I can’t get past this acpi_smc_PlatformPlugin error no matter what I do.

I tried to start with the options –v –x –f cpus=1 but nothing will do I’m stuck at this line .

Weird don’t you think ? But I am relieved I am not the only one to get this error !

Like omgCAKE we both have an asus p5q pro and an ati radeon 4870. Would it really come from the graphic card ?

I have read that the ideneb v1.4 has a patch in it that can fix the “acpi_smc_plugin problem” but I don’t know what they did. I have downloaded the ideneb and I want to try it just in case. Maybe i will find something.

If anyone has another idea to solve this problem…

Thanks anyway for the great tutorial.

Thank you!

This worked for me on an P5QL-E with an 8800gt.

I hit a black screen when trying to boot off the drive when I copied your kexts to the e/e folder and overwrote existing files. I managed to prevent the black screen by only adding the kexts from your zip file that weren't already there.

It might seem odd, but as far as I can tell, this is the only change I made between the two installs.

Thanks for the great guide mate! :D

it worked perfectly, i followed every step in your guide and it worked... just amazing 24/24 hours rock solid!!

every component is working great and apps too :)

My specs:

MB: P5Q with 1611 bios by juzzi (yes old version because newer onces were not working for me, i got Kernel Panic when trying to install SL)

CPU= E8500 @ default

VGA= ATI HD4850 (no kext, i just modified the id as explained in another topic around here)

RAM= 2x2gb 887 Corsair DHX

HD= 2x500 Western digital

Sound = Audigy SB 4 (with Kexts found on in the Audio driver section of this forum)

Screen working perfectly at 1920x1200 on DVI 1 ( the one near to the motherboard)

Hej !

First of all I have tried several methods to install mac os on my pc. But with your tutorial it’s the first time the installation finishes!! So I was so glad!!

The tutorial is quite easy that’s great!!

My configuration is:

Asus P5Q pro

Core 2 duo e8400

HDD 1TB

ATI 4870 1GB

I flashed the bios with the modified bios P5Q-ASUS-PRO-2102-by-smith.

I used the installation with myHack and at first I put the kexts you gave in the extension folder in extra.

The installation finishes and when I click on restart, the computer reboots.

I had to use the option –v to understand why I get the grey screen with the apple logo and a greyed spinning wheel understand hanging.

If I put the NullCPUPM.kext I get the same error as: omgCAKE

Whether I have the fakesmc.kext or not:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

If I don’t put the NullCPUPM.kext I get:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData – _CST evaluation failed

I googled both.

For timed out:

I found that :

Use fakesmc.kext and it will get passed it.

For evaluation failed:

Patch your dsdt.

it’s the ati4870 graphic card’s fault. So I tried with the evOenabler.kext but when I start with this kext and that I arrive at the line acpi_smc_plugin the system reboot automatically.

If I put the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext for ati 48xx series and nothing.

If I put the appleintelCPUPM.kext from my macbook I just get in all the lines at the beginning : initialization . I also tried the IOPlatformPluginFamiliy.kext from my macbook because the acpi_smc_PlatformPlugin.kext is inside.

Like omgCAKE we both have an asus p5q pro and an ati radeon 4870. Would it really come from the graphic card ?

I have read that the ideneb v1.4 has a patch in it that can fix the “acpi_smc_plugin problem” but I don’t know what they did. I have downloaded the ideneb and I want to try.

If anyone has another idea to solve this problem…

Thanks anyway for the great tutorial.

May be it is the problem with the newer Bios....Like N1h1LuS said..... try using the Bios Modified bu Juzzi

May be you can try flashing your motherboard with the old Bios and let me know the results then we can come to some conclusion..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WONC2EUL 1613_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_PRO_for_MAC_OS_X___VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

Thanks for the great guide mate! :D

it worked perfectly, i followed every step in your guide and it worked... just amazing 24/24 hours rock solid!!

every component is working great and apps too :)

My specs:

MB: P5Q with 1611 bios by juzzi (yes old version because newer onces were not working for me, i got Kernel Panic when trying to install SL)

CPU= E8500 @ default

VGA= ATI HD4850 (no kext, i just modified the id as explained in another topic around here)

RAM= 2x2gb 887 Corsair DHX

HD= 2x500 Western digital

Sound = Audigy SB 4 (with Kexts found on in the Audio driver section of this forum)

Screen working perfectly at 1920x1200 on DVI 1 ( the one near to the motherboard)

Good to know that ... Is QE working for you?

Can you please provide some tips for other users with ATI cards on how to get it to work....or the link so that they can follow....or some steps that you did ....it would be very helpful...

Nope unfortunately not, I tried just about every combination of installation options, wrote down every change I made not to miss something, but had no luck at all. I'm still hoping on the new guide.

Those who are receiving Black screen, please try the following and let me know....

1. Install myHackInstaller

2. Copy only those kexts from Robert_Xes_Kexts.zip file, which are not there in the Extra > Extention folder

3. Now reboot and then try it out

As skattyadz got it working by doing the above steps.

ATI CARD USERS PLEASE TRY THE FOLLOWING

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

Good to know that ... Is QE working for you?

Can you please provide some tips for other users with ATI cards on how to get it to work....or the link so that they can follow....or some steps that you did ....it would be very helpful...

Yes every thing is perfectly working with this card

I'll do a small guide to help the other 4800 series users, i hope it will be clear for you, otherwise you can allways ask :)

Ok to install Snow Leopard with the hd4850 ( should be the same for the 4870) you will have to:

A-Boot Snow Leopard installer with: -v -x so that you install it in safe mode and the graphic card drivers won't bug you

B-Follow RoberT_XeSs tutorial to install

C-After you installed Snow Leopard boot in safe mode: -v -x and follow the steps to make your account

D-Don't reboot yet, follow RoberT_XeSs STEP 7: MAKING YOUR SNOW LEOPARD BOOTABLE, but DON'T REBOOT YET

Now you will have to modify a few things to get your 4850 fully working

1- Go in System/Library/Extensions and look for ATI4800Controller.kext, now copy it to your desktop

2- Right Click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

3- Open the folder Contents and double click on info.plist

4- Scroll down to IOKitPersonalities and double click it, double click on Controller as well and look for IOPCIMatch, witch should be

0x94401002 0x944a1002

5- Change that with

0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x94421002

Now it should look like this:

screen2mz.png

6- Now simply close and save info.plist

7- Now use Kext Utility (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647) to import the ATI4800Controller.kext witch you modified

8-You can now reboot without the -x option and enjoy your HD4800 with full resolution and animation support but remember:

DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.6.3

the drivers will stop working and you won't be able make them work or roll back for now. (not that i know)

Source: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405

I'm a bit of a noob at this but have built 2 or 3 Hackintoshes in the past and crecently bought a P5QPL-AM and struggled, but I posted this on this thread about how I managed it...

"I bought a P5QPL-AM and struggled for 3 days to do a retail Snow Leopard install using Empire EFI and had all sorts of problems mainly involving ridiculously long install times (over 4 hours) and then failure to shut down fully and I nearly gave up with it, but after a lot of net trawling I came across this... http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/boot-132-for-snow-leopard/ and after using a combination of the boot132 disc for Snow Leopard... http://www.mediafire.com/?zinzqoogjgz and then running myHackInstaller... http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2010/03/myhack...FINAL-released/ it worked a treat.

It did say "Install failed" when the install finished but I booted into SL again with the Boot-132 Disc then ran myHackInstaller and used the customization option and left out SleepEnabler.kext and installed IoataFamily.kext to suit me but it now restarts and shuts down perfectly. I don't use sleep so not tried but I guess that won't work.

Fully updated to 10.6.3 via downloaded combo update and then run myHackinstaller again before restart (may not be necessary but I did it anyway)

I used VoodooHDA for audio and got a LAN kext from Kexts.com for the AttansicL1e network adapter. I haven't tried the LAN connection yet as I did all updates via a wireless adapter but it shows up OK in Network Settings so I think it'll work OK."

No BIOS flashes involved and to me at least it seems to work a treat, though perhaps the more knowledgable will be able to tell me that all is not what it seems.

Quite a modest spec at 2.33 E6550 C2D CPU Nvidia 7300LE video card and 1GB RAM until I buy some more.

Anybody want to explain the point of flashing the bios for a noob?

Hi, I have P5G41T-M LX motherboard and Dual Core E5300 CPU, will it install? help me. how to install it if i have a retail Mac OS X 10.6 DVD retail.

I'm sorry but no, it won't work... this guide is made for the P5Q witch mounts the ICH10 Chipset, yours have the ICH7 but even if you find the kexts for your motherboard you would have a greater issue.... the bios update.

You could look for a guide on how to make a DSDT so you don't need a bios update

You can also check this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195248

it's for those motherboards witch have the G41 north bridge as yours, but i'm not sure it will work, give it a try :(

Yes every thing is perfectly working with this card

I'll do a small guide to help the other 4800 series users, i hope it will be clear for you, otherwise you can allways ask -_-

Ok to install Snow Leopard with the hd4850 ( should be the same for the 4870) you will have to:

A-Boot Snow Leopard installer with: -v -x so that you install it in safe mode and the graphic card drivers won't bug you

B-Follow RoberT_XeSs tutorial to install

C-After you installed Snow Leopard boot in safe mode: -v -x and follow the steps to make your account

D-Don't reboot yet, follow RoberT_XeSs STEP 7: MAKING YOUR SNOW LEOPARD BOOTABLE, but DON'T REBOOT YET

Now you will have to modify a few things to get your 4850 fully working

1- Go in System/Library/Extensions and look for ATI4800Controller.kext, now copy it to your desktop

2- Right Click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

3- Open the folder Contents and double click on info.plist

4- Scroll down to IOKitPersonalities and double click it, double click on Controller as well and look for IOPCIMatch, witch should be

0x94401002 0x944a1002

5- Change that with

0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x94421002

Now it should look like this:

screen2mz.png

6- Now simply close and save info.plist

7- Now use Kext Utility (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647) to import the ATI4800Controller.kext witch you modified

8-You can now reboot without the -x option and enjoy your HD4800 with full resolution and animation support but remember:

DO NOT UPDATE TO 10.6.3

the drivers will stop working and you won't be able make them work or roll back for now. (not that i know)

Source: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405

Thanks for the tutorial....... Very easy to follow

May be it is the problem with the newer Bios....Like N1h1LuS said..... try using the Bios Modified bu Juzzi

May be you can try flashing your motherboard with the old Bios and let me know the results then we can come to some conclusion..

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WONC2EUL 1613_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_PRO_for_MAC_OS_X___VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi.

Tried the 1613 BIOS by Juzzi, same results.

Tried the 1613 BIOS by Juzzi, same results.

Same for me.

But on the other hand I used the Ideneb v1.4 with the acpi_smc fix and it worked!! The fix consist in not using the NullCPUPM.Kext. I thought it was going to be something else then just removing the Kext.

I used my usb key to install Ideneb and it's very quick in fact!! I created a dmg image from the ideneb.iso with diskutility. I restored it to the usb key which was partitioned in mac os extended and Master Boot Record. I then put the file “boot” from chameleon into the usb.

I started the computer, mode AHCI, and pressed F8 to be able to choose the usb key. And voilà! The installation took 5 minutes. The system rebooted fine and mac os started fine!!

I can install mac os and start it with iDeneb and with their fix I don’t get the error with the ACPI_smc_plugin.

I think I will give the guide made for P5q pro a try. Thanks for the help!!

OK, first well done RoberT_XeS. Looks like a brilliant guide, shame I am one of the 1/3 that it doesn't work for :)

Second, thanks N1h1LuS for bringing the complicated 4850 into ther argument as I think this might be my issue.

My HW:

Asus P5Q-e

Q6600 (watercooled, OC'ed and stable at 3.6GHz!)

8GB RAM

Gigabyte HD4850 gfx

I followed Robs guide up to 5.6 at which point I get a little confused which kext to put in E/E folder.

I currently have:

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- EvOreboot.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- SMBIOSResolver.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Then on to step 6.

1. Reboot OK

2. boot menu OK

3. boot from USB OK

5. Where do I type in -v? I'm in the iFix GUI, pressing cursor down gives me verbose mode. I try this and after a while the gfx corrupt.

4. Dont get this far.

With N1H1LuS.

How and where do I 'Boot Snow Leopard installer with: -v -x'? I dont have a command line, just GUI.

I've Hacked b4, I have 10.5 Vanilla installed on my Shuttle SG31G2 which was no problem but now I want it on my main rig (P5Q-E w/ HD4850) I'm getting stuck and I feel so stoopid asking these questions!

Please help!

OK, first well done RoberT_XeS. Looks like a brilliant guide, shame I am one of the 1/3 that it doesn't work for :)

Second, thanks N1h1LuS for bringing the complicated 4850 into ther argument as I think this might be my issue.

My HW:

Asus P5Q-e

Q6600 (watercooled, OC'ed and stable at 3.6GHz!)

8GB RAM

Gigabyte HD4850 gfx

I followed Robs guide up to 5.6 at which point I get a little confused which kext to put in E/E folder.

I currently have:

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- EvOreboot.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- SMBIOSResolver.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Then on to step 6.

1. Reboot OK

2. boot menu OK

3. boot from USB OK

5. Where do I type in -v? I'm in the iFix GUI, pressing cursor down gives me verbose mode. I try this and after a while the gfx corrupt.

4. Dont get this far.

With N1H1LuS.

How and where do I 'Boot Snow Leopard installer with: -v -x'? I dont have a command line, just GUI.

I've Hacked b4, I have 10.5 Vanilla installed on my Shuttle SG31G2 which was no problem but now I want it on my main rig (P5Q-E w/ HD4850) I'm getting stuck and I feel so stoopid asking these questions!

Please help!

When you boot from the USB Drive, you will see all the drives....just select the Drive in which you have restored the Snow Leopard Image and then just type in -x -v and then press Enter.

Same steps for booting into Snow Leopard.

;) so simple. Thanks to you and N1h1LuS, I have SL installed and running with my 4850 ;) .

Up to Step 7 and having issues making the SL drive bootable. I'm dual boot with Windows 7 already installed so I have:

105Mb System Partition (created by Windows 7 install)

179GB Windows 7

55GB Snow Leopard

Drive is MBR, Windows 7 partitions are NTFS and SL is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

myHack_Installer_1.0.mpkg failed, and Chameleon failed. I can only boot from (F8) USB drive. Any suggestions?

;) so simple. Thanks to you and N1h1LuS, I have SL installed and running with my 4850 ;) .

Up to Step 7 and having issues making the SL drive bootable. I'm dual boot with Windows 7 already installed so I have:

105Mb System Partition (created by Windows 7 install)

179GB Windows 7

55GB Snow Leopard

Drive is MBR, Windows 7 partitions are NTFS and SL is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

myHack_Installer_1.0.mpkg failed, and Chameleon failed. I can only boot from (F8) USB drive. Any suggestions?

myHack_installer_1.0.mpkg failed for me as well...... all i did was:

Copy the Extra folder from the USB key and paste it in the Mac drive :)

Tried that and get

boot0: done

boot1: error

Those who are having problem with myHackInstaller and Chameleon can try PC EFI 10.6

PC EFI 10.6 includes * Support for desktop Radeons 4300/4500/4600 in GraphicsEnabler

Even then if you are not able to boot from the main HDD then you can try to install Snow Leopard once again...

do you have Mac on the same hard drive with windows?

Yes, all on same drive. MBR formatted, 3 partitions as mentioned before.

I don't understand why it doesn't work apart from the 1st partition is NTFS and the drive is MBR... doest this have any effect? I will try EFI.