[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

You can try to boot with -x and then try to install the Update.....

You can try the 10.6.2 iso

How can I "restore" (refer to step 4 of the guide) an ISO image of SL 10.6.2 ? The iso file is greyed in Disk utility so I can't drag it into the source field.

My image of 10.6 was a DMG, but my new 10.6.2 is an ISO file.

Alternatively, is it possible to change the destination of the 10.6.2 update combo installation to the USB stick (MAC OS X Install DVD) ? Does this result in a 10.6.2 Install DVD on USB stick ?

Thanks.

For this tutorial you need to have a Retail Image

Have you tried to boot with -x

Try the new FakeSMC 2.5

Hi Robert, Yep I've tried that, I replace your FakeSMC to the new one, as I believe MyHack already use FakeSMC 2.5 ?

I will try from other SL. :(

Hi Robert, Yep I've tried that, I replace your FakeSMC to the new one, as I believe MyHack already use FakeSMC 2.5 ?

I will try from other SL. :rolleyes:

You can try to boot with cpus=1 I think it should work...

You can try to boot with cpus=1 I think it should work...

Thanks Robert,

I will try this at home...

Last thing I've tried was, I've just reinstalled again with Mac OSX 10.6.0 Universal 3.5, Bios conf, and Bios Patch still the same. I have this from ISO files and burn it on DVD, Installation process was done successfully (until 100%) and ask for restart.

After restart boot the disk, with -x -v mode, sadly I still stuck in the:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I have a following question:

How this ACPI thingy works ? and what is the relation with all computer components parts on Mac OSX Boot process ?

and why we have to choose S3 (options in BIOS) ?

S3 is Sleep (Standby) meaning, System appears off. The CPU has no power; RAM is in slow refresh; the power supply is in a reduced power mode. This mode is commonly referred to as 'Suspend To RAM'.

I still miss the link what we have done on Bios and MAC OSX.

Cheers.

Just wanted to thank you for writing this guide. I had previously had Hazard SL installed, but it was very flakey. I bit the bullet and bought the retail version and couldn't be happier with how it's running. It's way faster than my G5 at work! Thanks again!

Just wanted to thank you for writing this guide. I had previously had Hazard SL installed, but it was very flakey. I bit the bullet and bought the retail version and couldn't be happier with how it's running. It's way faster than my G5 at work! Thanks again!

Glad to know that.......

Your guide is very usefull for me !!! but i have some boot problem.

Snow Leo works great and i've successfully updated to 10.6.3 with combo package.

Everything works flawless except boot, i've used myHack_Installer_1.0.1.mpkg with no success, after i've tested Chameleon and PCEFI too but i have no results.

When i turn on after every installer is a black screen with cursor.

So i've used parted magic 3.7 to see boot flag that is strangely on disk1s2 (Snow Leo Partition).

The only way to boot SnowLeo and other Systems is boot trough USB Drive and everythiing works.

The strange thing is: Grub shows only Win 7 and Kubuntu 9.10 partitions but doesn't show Snow partition

My partition obviously MBR as show:

1. Windows 7 (Disk1s1)

2) Snow Leo (Disk1s2)

3) Disk Space (I'll put Snow ISO image here next time)

4) Kubuntu 9.10

My hardware P5Q Pro + Q6600 + 4 gb ram + Geforce 8400GS

Can you give me an help to solve this problem? Thanks

Solved editing menu.lst in grub :angry:

Now Everything works fine...

Those who are having ATI Card and stuck in (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)...... please copy EVOEnabler.kext in to USB Drive > Extra > Extensions folder and then boot with -x or -x -v to resolve the issue

If your Motherboard bios is not included in the link below then you can request Shamux or Smith@@ to modify Bios for you

1. Modified Bios : Here or Here

For installation 10.6 it is not necessary Modified Bios. It is enough to have boot from AsreBLN http://github.com/aserebln/Chameleon/downloads

The installer Chameleon RC4-AsereBLN-1.1.9.zip

And he defines all parametres (CPU Clock, Bus, Memmanufacter, etc.)

My smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>10/30/09</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM111.88Z.0034.B00.0910301727</string>
<key>SMboardmanufactor</key>
<string>ASUS</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>ASUS P5Q SE2</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac11,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W89470DZ5RU</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I managed to get through step 8: I could install 10.6.2 combo update.

I changed the eSata HDD connected to Jmicron for an internal Sata HDD connected to Intel port. Maybe the HDD itself was broken.

Now that the 10.6.2 update is successfully installed, I cannot boot into my system anymore. With -x -v, I get this message after some time during the boot process:

"FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length - 6"

I strictly followed the guide, except for one thing: I didn't overwrite the kexts with the ones found in Robert_Xes_Kexts.zip when they already existed.

Can you help me please ?

Thanks.

Hi!

I have a p5ql-em with an Ati hd 5670 card.

I was able to install ideneb and create the installation usb with all the kext. ( can't get Ideneb to 1920x1080 though..)

I'm able to boot from it and see the MyHack boot screen. Over there I select the usb and boot with -x -v and cpus=1. I tried every combination and nothing works.

I get the booting process on screen(scrolling text) and suddenly the screen goes off. The computer is still running but it looks as if the monitor is not getting a video signal. Maybe the video card is the problem?

What can it be? I tried the Evo enabler kext and is just not working.

Any ideas???

i used IanT's 132Jupiter then made it bootable using Chameleon

if you get the blinking cursor after running Chameleon or myhack installer, it means you forgot to unhide the hidden files

Hi, can you elaborate on "unhide the hidden files"? I'm stuck at the blinking cursor too trying to get Snow Leopard to boot from the hard drive. Everything else works just fine and can boot from the USB stick. Thanks.

Hi, can you elaborate on "unhide the hidden files"? I'm stuck at the blinking cursor too trying to get Snow Leopard to boot from the hard drive. Everything else works just fine and can boot from the USB stick. Thanks.

Fixed it... turns out the MBR just needed refreshing. Booted with the Win7 BootDVD and select Repair Computer then Startup Repair to "refresh" the MBR (i.e. restore Win7 bootloader to MBR). Then, use EasyBCD to add SL partition to boot selection.

Dual boot Win7 and SL, everything working.... except SLEEP on my P5Q Deluxe. Anyone have this working on the P5Q Deluxe? I followed this guide exactly.

Thanks to RoberT_XeS!

SUCCESS !

I finally succeeded installing v10.6.2 on my P5QL-E + HD4670.

QE works (tested in iMovie 09) as well as sound (needs to change output in sound prefs) and lan.

Video didn't work with 10.6 (support for HD4670 was added to 10.6.2). So I needed to upgrade to 10.6.2 and after each install, my system were not able to boot anymore.

The final solution for me was to use EVOEnabler.kext (hey Robert, this troubleshoot in step 6 has been added recently, after I've printed your guide to take notes).

Monitor connected through D-SUB (VGA) cable.

Thanks a lot for this guide and stay tuned for more feedback in a few days, after more testing.

Remember: to achive such a goal, you must be patient and perseverent and methodic. And did I say patient ?

I started my OSX installation project 3 weeks ago...

Amazing Tut,

I just have a few questions...

1) Is there any way we could install to vmware using a hd or external usb then edit its contents using macdrive 8

2) Also to what extent can we make the install "Live" when using it from external media such as usb drives, dvd's etc (I would love a live snow leopard CD/DVD)

thanks for your time and effort and if I could +++++++++++REP lol :P

Fixed it... turns out the MBR just needed refreshing. Dual boot Win7 and SL, everything working.... except SLEEP on my P5Q Deluxe. Anyone have this working on the P5Q Deluxe? I followed this guide exactly.

Thanks to RoberT_XeS!

Can you please let other users know how to refresh the MBR ?

SUCCESS !

I finally succeeded installing v10.6.2 on my P5QL-E + HD4670.

QE works (tested in iMovie 09) as well as sound (needs to change output in sound prefs) and lan.

Video didn't work with 10.6 (support for HD4670 was added to 10.6.2). So I needed to upgrade to 10.6.2 and after each install, my system were not able to boot anymore.

The final solution for me was to use EVOEnabler.kext (hey Robert, this troubleshoot in step 6 has been added recently, after I've printed your guide to take notes).

Monitor connected through D-SUB (VGA) cable.

Thanks a lot for this guide and stay tuned for more feedback in a few days, after more testing.

Remember: to achive such a goal, you must be patient and perseverent and methodic. And did I say patient ?

I started my OSX installation project 3 weeks ago...

Yes....I added that EVOEnabler kext later, because at first I was not 100% sure that it works for ATI Card.... Then I was helping Evman (one of insanely mac user) through skype, who had ATI 4850 and it worked for him....so I added it.

You need patience..... That is absolutely correct..... Even I got the SL working on my computer after 2 weeks....surely you need patience.....It took me the entire day to prepare the guide....but I am happy that it helped a lot of people here.....

Amazing Tut,

I just have a few questions...

1) Is there any way we could install to vmware using a hd or external usb then edit its contents using macdrive 8

2) Also to what extent can we make the install "Live" when using it from external media such as usb drives, dvd's etc (I would love a live snow leopard CD/DVD)

thanks for your time and effort and if I could +++++++++++REP lol :P

You can install the Mac on the USB Drive instead of the internal Drive and use it as a Live Mac....

You can install the Mac on the USB Drive instead of the internal Drive and use it as a Live Mac....

Right here are my concerns to what you have just suggested

1) every Live dvd I have tested has just been an installer and not a live image

2) Installs in Operating Systems usually set fixed drivers so they are limited to a set of hardware

3) The installers I use seem to have no option to configure where the bootloader is installed and so must be chainloaded rather than run on their own

Yes....I added that EVOEnabler kext later, because at first I was not 100% sure that it works for ATI Card.... Then I was helping Evman (one of insanely mac user) through skype, who had ATI 4850 and it worked for him....so I added it.

You need patience..... That is absolutely correct..... Even I got the SL working on my computer after 2 weeks....surely you need patience.....It took me the entire day to prepare the guide....but I am happy that it helped a lot of people here.....

I've tested the firewire port and it also works, but...

the system hangs from time to time for several (dozen) seconds, showing the color spinning wheel as the mouse cursor. This also occurs during HDV import from my camcorder to iMovie and then the capture process stops.

So, from now on, the system is not really useable because of this. Is there a known workaround for that ? I think my PC is powerful enough to have a smooth user experience. (C2D E8400, 2Gb RAM).

Thanks.

hey guys im new to the forums but i have been always reading the tutorials. I succeeded in installing Leopard with everything working. I have the flashed BIOS and i followed all the steps

Recently during the install of snow leopard i came across this after finishing of install

post-471249-1276729011_thumb.jpg

i dont know what to do. i have done everything i can possibly do :)

hey guys im new to the forums but i have been always reading the tutorials. I succeeded in installing Leopard with everything working. I have the flashed BIOS and i followed all the steps

Recently during the install of snow leopard i came across this after finishing of install

post-471249-1276729011_thumb.jpg

i dont know what to do. i have done everything i can possibly do :D

That error is normal, I got it too. The installer just doesn't know your using PC Hardware, continue following the guide, Snow Leopard will still work.

Hi guys!

I have already installed Snow Leopard on P5Q Deluxe motherboard with two Nvidia GT9500 cards. Everything work except the video cards. I tried NVEnabler, NVInjcetion, but doesn't work. How can I see, why?

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 2.83 Ghz QC Proc, 4G ram, Chameleon RC5 bootloader. I tried everything, what I found here in forum...