[GUIDE] Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.X on P5Q Series

Installed SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully  

393 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install SNOW LEOPARD Retail Successfully?

• Yes
    • No

507 posts in this topic

I have a P5Q Pro Turbo MB that I want to install snow leopard on, and access to my girlfriends macbook (the guide says I need access to one), is there any way I can install with just like a dvd? I dont have an 8gb thumb drive.

I have a P5Q Pro Turbo MB that I want to install snow leopard on, and access to my girlfriends macbook (the guide says I need access to one), is there any way I can install with just like a dvd? I dont have an 8gb thumb drive.

You can create a 8GB Partition on your Internal HDD instead of the USB Drive...

If you want to follow a DVD method then click on the following link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188371

or

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186856

hi, im new on this so please be patient.

i have leopard running using your guide with ideneb, but im having troubles with this one, so im hoping you can help me.

first, my ATI 4670 will work 100%?

second, i understand that you can use a partition on your HDD instead of a usb drive as in the guide. can you explain the creation of that partition and how to boot from it (i dont have a usb drive with 8Gb, i have 2 HDD, one with Win7 an other to install snowlp. this second drive has 1 partition with 100Gb free and other partition with data)

thks :rolleyes:

1. Some of the users here were able to get ATI 4670 Working

2. Use Parted magic to create the partition or use partition utility included in Leopard

Those who are using ATI card and getting a Black / Corrupted screen can follow the guide here

Hi Just an update

ASUS P5Q Premium

Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5ghz

2gb ddr2 800mhz

2x ati radeon hd4850

2xWD 74gb raptors, 2xWD 1 TB, 1xWD500GB,1xWD250GB and 2xWD640GB ext.

modded 2001 bios by juzzi

Since updating Leopard to 10.5.8 I have full 1600x1200 res and sound, but still no internet, but i thought I'd give SnowLeopard a go.Followed the guide and using -x-v or -v would only get me a light grey screen after the my hack logo and it wuld just hang, the only way I could get SL to install was to type -x and the install would go through fine, with all the files shown inserted I'd get an error shown in the pics right at the end, so I removed all the kexts apart from the 3 shown in the picture, this then went all the way through until it detected no keyboard so I added AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, tried again and the install went through with -x ok until it had to reboot at wich point it hung on a dark grey screen with the loading dial going round so I had to power off and restart.Once I restarted I got to the bootloader and selected my SL drive, -v would give me the black andwhite crash screen and just pressing enter gave me a light grey screen which just hangs.

The only way, again to get Sl to boot was to type -x, this boots into SL in safe mode ok ,I can use about this mac ok , resolution stuck at 1024x768 and no internet or sound obviously or accesss to my other drives.I know i'm close ,is it just a case of finding the right kexts for my system?

Any help greatly appreciated.

installing.jpg

my hack running, using -x-v shows the next screen and -v the one after

greyscreen.jpg

The grey screen I get after typing -x-v at bootloader

what-x-vor-vgivesme.jpg

what -v gives me after bootloader

3kextsIusedalongwithps2forkeyboard.jpg

the 3 kexts i used along with the 2 PS2 kexts, the FakeSMC kext is the 2.5 one, just thought i'd try it

selectusb.jpg

selecting my usb stick in safe mode, the only way I could get it to install

whathappensonre-boot.jpg

after install completes and has to reboot I get a hang on this screen

Hi Just an update

ASUS P5Q Premium

Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5ghz

2gb ddr2 800mhz

2x ati radeon hd4850

2xWD 74gb raptors, 2xWD 1 TB, 1xWD500GB,1xWD250GB and 2xWD640GB ext.

modded 2001 bios by juzzi

Since updating Leopard to 10.5.8 I have full 1600x1200 res and sound, but still no internet, but i thought I'd give SnowLeopard a go.Followed the guide and using -x-v or -v would only get me a light grey screen after the my hack logo and it wuld just hang, the only way I could get SL to install was to type -x and the install would go through fine, with all the files shown inserted I'd get an error shown in the pics right at the end, so I removed all the kexts apart from the 3 shown in the picture, this then went all the way through until it detected no keyboard so I added AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext, tried again and the install went through with -x ok until it had to reboot at wich point it hung on a dark grey screen with the loading dial going round so I had to power off and restart.Once I restarted I got to the bootloader and selected my SL drive, -v would give me the black andwhite crash screen and just pressing enter gave me a light grey screen which just hangs.

The only way, again to get Sl to boot was to type -x, this boots into SL in safe mode ok ,I can use about this mac ok , resolution stuck at 1024x768 and no internet or sound obviously or accesss to my other drives.I know i'm close ,is it just a case of finding the right kexts for my system?

Any help greatly appreciated.

my hack running, using -x-v shows the next screen and -v the one after

The grey screen I get after typing -x-v at bootloader

what -v gives me after bootloader

the 3 kexts i used along with the 2 PS2 kexts, the FakeSMC kext is the 2.5 one, just thought i'd try it

selecting my usb stick in safe mode, the only way I could get it to install

after install completes and has to reboot I get a hang on this screen

Try the steps in the following thread to get it working...try Step 7

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

OR

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...181405&st=0

I _FINALLY_ have 10.6.3 running on my P5Q board.

An external HDD and external DVD drive is kind of essential to even be able to use the guide imho.

Anyway, I have one minor issue left... the LAN Atheros L1E - ATL1E wont load automatically.

I have to type kextload /Extra/Extensions/AttansicL1eEthernet.kext after every boot... anyone know why?

LAN works fine after doing so tho'

EDIT:

Might have fixed it, moved the kext to /System/Library/Extensions instead.

Don't have the time to verify, will do later.

EDIT2:

Checked again and it seems to work.

hi everyone

I'm trying to install, I manage to start the installation (I restored the image on a partition, then applied the hack, then boot the partition), but disc utility says that it can't be possible to install 10.6 because it can't change the partition table (i'm using MBR). I installed myhack as the guide says, it is possible that it says that?

thanks

Dimitri

I tried once again, disk utility says:

Volume Erase Failed

Volume Erase Failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map

furthermore, the disks are in orange.

I got the AHCI enabled. I think the problem could be because I don't have the partition where I want to install Snow set as active. This is because, to boot from the "restored retail image 8gb partition" I have to set the Leopard 1.5.6 partition as active, in this way Chameleon let me boot the 8gb partition

I have 10.6 up and running but with no sound or internet so I thought I'd try a fresh install with the lastest image so I got SL 10.6.3 and followed the guide again and everything runs up until I select the language then it just hangs on the preparing installation loading bar screen which normally is only on a couple of seconds, any ideas?

thanks thade

Hi!

For now I have a NTFS 116GB partition with Windows 7 installed on it (MBR). Can I just part the second partition for the iATKOS (10.5 working), SL and the retail image?

Hi!

For now I have a NTFS 116GB partition with Windows 7 installed on it (MBR). Can I just part the second partition for the iATKOS (10.5 working), SL and the retail image?

You can have 2 more primary partition one for iATKOS and one for Retails Image and then boot from Retails Image and delete iATKOS and install Snow Leopard on it

I have 10.6 up and running but with no sound or internet so I thought I'd try a fresh install with the lastest image so I got SL 10.6.3 and followed the guide again and everything runs up until I select the language then it just hangs on the preparing installation loading bar screen which normally is only on a couple of seconds, any ideas?

thanks thade

You need to have firewire enabled in the Bios....this may be the problem....just check it out.....or may be your New Image 10.6.3 is not proper

I tried once again, disk utility says:

Volume Erase Failed

Volume Erase Failed with the error:

Could not modify partition map

furthermore, the disks are in orange.

I got the AHCI enabled. I think the problem could be because I don't have the partition where I want to install Snow set as active. This is because, to boot from the "restored retail image 8gb partition" I have to set the Leopard 1.5.6 partition as active, in this way Chameleon let me boot the 8gb partition

Were you able to install snow leopard successfully finally...?

Almost complete.

Everything is fine, except for the boot problem:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

I have the FakeSMC 2.5 of netkas.org (tried one that is on your pack too), ACPI 2.0 is enabled too, and NullCPUPowerManagement is on Extra/Extensions

Almost complete.

Everything is fine, except for the boot problem:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out)

I have the FakeSMC 2.5 of netkas.org (tried one that is on your pack too), ACPI 2.0 is enabled too, and NullCPUPowerManagement is on Extra/Extensions

But are you able to log into Mac......Even I get that message but I am able to log into Mac

I had this problem a few weeks ago. I then tried the ideneb 10.5.6 with the acpi_smc_plugin timed out fix (which was just removing the nullcpuPM.kext). It worked. I could log into mac os and use mac os like on a mac. I am able to install leopard. But when I try to install snow leopard, I still get the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out) error. The boot will stop at this line and just wait. It can wait for hours like this. Nothing happens after that line.

I enabled acpi 2.0 and ahci. I replaced the fakesmc with the fakesmc2.5. The installation goes fine but when the computer restarts, it stops at the acpi_smc error. So I have never been able to log into snow leopard. I don’t know if it’s the same for TimeShift…

I haven’t tried yet with PC EFI 10.6 or Chameleon RC4.

I just used my hack (the old version). I tried with just fakesmc2.5 and evreboot.kext (otherwise after the installation, it will not restart) in the extra/extensions and then with the nullcpupowermanagement.

Piromanneo and omgCAKE what did you put in your extra/extensions folder ? Did you use my hack ?

But are you able to log into Mac......Even I get that message but I am able to log into Mac

hi...thanks for the tutorial...this is a small contribute for everyone that has the same mobo that i use right now...everything was working fine with my hack till my intel dp965 mobo died...i bought the ASUS P5QPL-AM but unfortunately the old distros like ideneb, IPC and IATKOS didn´t work to install Leopard and then afterwards install snow leopard (that was my standard procedure to install snow leopard)...not even a bios mod existed...so it seemed i was in a dead end...but luckily i found that the HAZARD distro works like a charm on this mobo...ethernet, sound, video card, everything.. and after updating to 10.6.3 it's even better...so folks don't desperate if you have a P5QPL-AM board...go for hazard distro ;)

My two cents for the community and sorry for bumping your thread but it was denied for me to open a new topic in this forum and...googling, i found lots of people desperate for running OSx86 on P5QPL-AM mobo so...

cheers

Only on Safe Mode. I fixed it by re-installing EVOenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext with KextHelper.

I logged in and updated to 10.6.3 and now the screen goes black with white currupted squares.

Hands down one of the best tutorial I've used on this board. I've had a 10.5.X installed on my current rig for over 2 years now and decided to nuke that in favor of 10.6. This was my 4th attempt on installing 10.6 and have always had a problem with my videocard and other random issues.

My current rig is a P5Q-N, Q6600, 8800GTX, 4GB, 1.5TB hd. I have everything pretty much working fine except when I resume from sleep my keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. The only solution is to unplug and replug them back to my tower, is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks.

Only on Safe Mode. I fixed it by re-installing EVOenabler.kext and modified ATI4800Controller.kext with KextHelper.

I logged in and updated to 10.6.3 and now the screen goes black with white currupted squares.

You can try the steps in the following thread....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405

Hi there, great guide!

I have a small problem though.

In "STEP 7: MAKING YOUR SNOW LEOPARD BOOTABLE" after "2. This time select the drive in which you have Snow Leopard installed, type in -v and then press Enter", it loads alot of things. But after this just when it is booting osx my gfx is disabling (my screen looses signal). Anyone ever tried this, couldnt find anything in this thread about it.

My setup is:

p5q deluxe

E8400

Nvidia gtx 260

Thank you.

Edit: Last thing it says before giving me a black screen is looooong text and timed out

You can try the steps in the following thread....

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405

Everything is working again. Only one thing (not so important):

When I put the computer to sleep, it goes normally, then I move the mouse it turns on again, ok. But the mouse and keyboard stop working and I have to disconnect and connect again the wireless receiver of the keyboard + mouse. It works again, but the sound gets bugged (like scratched) and I have to restart. (it seems that the restart gets freezed after sleep, but I tried only one time to sleep)

Im going to test more times to get precise conclusions.

Only to comment, if anyone is wondering, when SL installation finishes here, it gives me an error that the computer couldnt start SL from the partition it was installed, but I think its just because I installed SL from the 8GB partition.

OK so I've now got snow leopard up and running (as long as I boot in safe mode -x, before the update it would boot fine), updated to 10.6.3, 1600x1200 display, internet working but still no sound! My ASUS P5q Premium uses the ad2000b sound chip but dispite following numerous guides I'm still without sound.Accessing itunes and attempting to play a track the timer doesn't even start as though it isn't even playing? not sure if this is an itunes problem or sound issue.not sure either if its just a case of having 2 conflicting drivers running together, is there a screen capture app so I can post my kexts to see if anything stands out?

all the best thade

OK so I've now got snow leopard up and running (as long as I boot in safe mode -x, before the update it would boot fine), updated to 10.6.3, 1600x1200 display, internet working but still no sound! My ASUS P5q Premium uses the ad2000b sound chip but dispite following numerous guides I'm still without sound.Accessing itunes and attempting to play a track the timer doesn't even start as though it isn't even playing? not sure if this is an itunes problem or sound issue.not sure either if its just a case of having 2 conflicting drivers running together, is there a screen capture app so I can post my kexts to see if anything stands out?

all the best thade

Open the System Preferences window and go to Sound, see if the volume is up and if the system detects the hardware. If not, try installing VodooHDA, I installed it and my SoundMAX Digital of my P5Q-E is working fine (except after sleep).

Hi there, great guide!

I have a small problem though.

In "STEP 7: MAKING YOUR SNOW LEOPARD BOOTABLE" after "2. This time select the drive in which you have Snow Leopard installed, type in -v and then press Enter", it loads alot of things. But after this just when it is booting osx my gfx is disabling (my screen looses signal). Anyone ever tried this, couldnt find anything in this thread about it.

My setup is:

p5q deluxe

E8400

Nvidia gtx 260

Thank you.

Edit: Last thing it says before giving me a black screen is looooong text and timed out

Hmm i tried doing the steps again, but now i cant install it anymore. At the end the installation fails.

The install log says

"Unable to set "OS X (my disk)" as boot disk: The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk"

"Install failed: Installationsprogram could not start the cimputer from the disk "OS X". Try to choose the disk with the supportprogram startdisc" - The last part were in my Danish, so i translated that.

Any ideas?